more ยป" />

Mini Tri

by Meghann on July 5, 2010

This morning Kelly and I set out to do a mini triathlon in preparation for our olympic triathlon in two weeks.

It took us a couple of hours and involved some driving and change in venues – apparently my gym doesn’t do free guest passes – but, in the end we survived. ๐Ÿ™‚

We did:

• 1 km Swim
  • 15 mile Bike
  • 2 mile Run

I’ve never all three parts of a tri while training before and was thrown off by how long it took! Between having to find a free pool to driving to a bike trail to having to put the bike together and then break it apart again, to actually the actual training part – my hole morning was gone!

Still, it was fun and I’m glad I had my sister there with me. ๐Ÿ™‚

Before I left I made a small breakfast of toast and cherries.

I toasted an Arnold’s Thin (What up Healthy Living Summit Sponsor!) and topped it with almond butter, a strawberry spread, and granola.

On the side a big handful of cherries!

The whole bike and run part of our run I kept picturing a nice smoothie at the end of my run. I knew i had a can of pumpkin buried in my cabinet that would produce the perfect post-work out smoothie.

IMG_1334.jpg

In the blender went

• Pumpkin
  • Silken Tofu
  • Honey
  • Vanilla Extract
  • Peanut Powder (could have gone without)
  • Pumpkin Spice
  • Ice

It took me a while to get the honey and spice level right, but in the end I really liked the way it came out. Unfortunately my sister wasn’t a fan. To each their own, right?!?!

I’m so excited to have the rest of the day all to myself! We’re heading to Track Shack now for new shoes then I plan to spend some leisurely time at Whole Foods and Publix before cleaning my apartment. God I love three day weekends!

Adios!

1 Kelly July 5, 2010 at 11:58 am

Your smoothie sounds awesome! Good luck with the triathlon training. I have always considered doing one, but the running part is what keeps it on the back burner. I used to swim and currently ride a lot, but my walking is more productive than my swimming. Again, good luck!

2 Marina July 5, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I would love to try a workout like that, but I’m not sure I could handle it :))
Lovely looking smoothie!

3 britchickruns July 5, 2010 at 12:13 pm

That smoothie sounds INCREDIBLE! And I love the colour ๐Ÿ™‚
Awesome workout too ๐Ÿ™‚

4 newleafeats July 5, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Yum, pumpkin smoothie! I plan on trying a recipe out that I found on the green monster movement site, since my tofu is extra firm. ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Katherine: What About Summer? July 5, 2010 at 12:46 pm

great strategy for training. I definitely need to get some of those ingredients for smoothie making. banana and ice isn’t cutting it

6 runningaroundnormal July 5, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I can’t wait until this fall (well, yeah I can..stay forever, summer!) when pumpkin is on shelves again! I neeeed it in my life!

7 Frugal 'n' Fit! July 5, 2010 at 1:49 pm

That smoothie does sound good! I love the colour, too. Very autumnal! ๐Ÿ™‚

8 kaztronomic July 5, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Yum, that smoothie looks like pumpkin pie in a cup! ๐Ÿ˜€

9 Allie July 5, 2010 at 3:11 pm

ooo… I’ve never even thought of a pumpkin smoothie before, sounds like the perfect treat for summer/fall.

Also, I agree – 3 day weekends rock!

10 Stacey July 5, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Glad you’re enjoying a long weekend. I would never have thought to put granola on toast but I think I’d like it! Awesome workout!!

11 Simply Maren July 5, 2010 at 4:27 pm

the smoothie sounds good to me. I would have never thought to use these ingredients. I’ll definitely be magic bulleting one up soon! Good job completing your tri training despite to hassle. It’s so easy to skip out on something in situations like that.

12 runningwithsass July 5, 2010 at 5:04 pm

good job on the workout. sounds exhausting!

13 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 5, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I did a mini tri the other week too! Lucky for me I was able to park the car at the pool – swim, then ride home (which was 20km away). After my run,. Mr BBB kindly drove me back to the pool to pick up my car!

14 Rache Wilkerson July 5, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Mmmm…I just found a can of pumpkin today too and might have to pretend it’s fall and make that smoothie!! It works really well if you freeze the pumpkin in individual mini-containers or ice cube trays too — then you don’t need ice!

15 Casey July 6, 2010 at 12:18 am

Starbucks should be paying you to come up with new drink ideas! Looks awesome