more ยป" />

Maddie does NOT like Fireworks

by Meghann on July 4, 2010

Bad News: It’s raining and I’m too lazy to go any where for fireworks

Good News: I have no need to go anywhere. I can see bright , beautiful fireworks right from my balcony! Score!

000_0013.JPG

Happy Birthday America! ๐Ÿ™‚

The close fireworks may be a bad thing as well. My poor puppy is so scared right now. ๐Ÿ™

There are popping noises of local fireworks going off everywhere and Maddie has yet to leave my side! She follows me from one side of the room to the next, then proceeds to lay across my feet and shake. I don’t think I’ve ever seen her so scared before.

I’m doing what any good puppy mommy would do by trying to cover up the firework noises with obnoxiously loud Glee and extra yummy treats, but nothing seems to be working.

Anyone know how to calm a shaky pup?

Derek and I took it easy this afternoon and saw Eclipse at the movie theater.

The movie was actually just ok. I think Kristen Stewart’s and Robert Pattison’s acting skills are actually getting worse with each film. And don’t get me started on the new Victoria! She looked too made up and just overall fake – like a knock off or something. Grrr…

I did enjoy how closely they stuck to the book and I thought they did Rosalee and Jasper’s back story really well. Overall I would give the movie a solid B if you’re a fan and a C- if you’ve never read the book – Derek was pretty clueless the whole film on what was going on. ๐Ÿ™‚

By the time the movie let out I was ready for dinner, but didn’t want a huge meal. Instead I made a plate of carrots with almond butter, brussel sprouts, and left over plantains.

Dessert was a handful of Kix and chocolate dipped strawberries. ๐Ÿ™‚

And just for giggles (and because I was having way too much fun reminiscing through old photos today) I present a collage through Fourth of July Memory Lane

2005 – Tom Brown Park Fireworks in Tallahassee with BFF & roommate Erin. ๐Ÿ™‚

000_0012.JPG

2006 – Tom Brown Park Fireworks in Tallahassee (again) with my friend Chris

100_1152.JPG

2007 – Pirate party in Pensacola with the ex-boyfriend and friends

100_3471.JPG

2008 – Lake Eola Fireworks in Orlando with childhood BFFs Christie, Shannan, & Kira

CIMG0939.JPG

2009 – Bahamas Cruise with Derek

DSCN1963.JPG

DSCN2044.JPG

๐Ÿ™‚

What is your favorite fourth of July memory?

Looking back I would have to say mine was Lake Eola fireworks with my friends in 2008. I <3 those girls so much. ๐Ÿ™‚

CIMG0925.JPG

1 elisa July 4, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I give my dog a new bone if we are around odd noises….it usually works.

2 Lea July 4, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Aww nice picture with Kira, Shannon and Christy!!

3 Lea July 4, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Did you ever attend Red, Hot and Boom? That was fun!!

4 Lindsey @ Sound Eats July 4, 2010 at 10:53 pm

haha, so funny – my thoughts on Eclipse were opposite! I thought it was actually probably the best of the Twilight series so far, and I thought the Victoria was good! But maybe I was just jealous of her red hair. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Happy 4th!

P.S. It’s been far too long since I’ve last seen you!! Miss you!

5 gavrielski July 4, 2010 at 11:13 pm

So glad you got to see fireworks from your building, but I hope Maddie calms down soon! We also had a very low-key 4th this year. My favorite 4th of July weekends were the ones I used to spend in New Jersey when I was younger. There’s nothing like an east coast 4th of July! ๐Ÿ™‚

6 Meg July 4, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Cute pictures ๐Ÿ™‚ I love memories!!

Give Maddie a treat and some cuddles ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Rosey Rebecca July 4, 2010 at 11:40 pm

My dog used to hate fireworks, too. Poor thing. The 4th isn’t really a big deal for me. I spent the day reviewing a restaurant for a column I’m writing and then writing in bed. lol Whooo!

8 kaztronomic July 5, 2010 at 2:18 am

My cats were terrified all night, too. I don’t think they’ll ever forgive me. xD

I love looking through old photos, too! Believe it or not, this week marks my one year of reading your blog. o.O Random, I know, but I started reading right about when you went on your cruise. Hah.

9 Laura July 5, 2010 at 2:39 am

Next year for the fire works you can get her something called Pet-Eze which is sold at PetSmart. It comes in a wafer, chewable, pill, liquid, or gel and the amount given is based on the weight of the dog. There is also a calming collar by Sentry, also sold at PetSmart, which contains pheromones. It’s good for 30 days….Our local shelter uses these for the cats and they work well so I am sure that the dog collar will work just as well. Just be sure to buy this kind of stuff in advanced because it sells out fast around days like 4th of July.

10 britchickruns July 5, 2010 at 2:40 am

Haha I love that American Flag cake!
That sucks about Eclipse, I was really looking forward to it ๐Ÿ™
As for alming down pets, I have no idea – I’ve never had one that’s scared ๐Ÿ™
No 4th of July in England either ๐Ÿ™

11 Katherine: What About Summer? July 5, 2010 at 7:27 am

I have the best memory of eating Carvel ice cream and watching fireworks when I was like eleven at my friends country club. oh the food memories.

my parents have cats that hate vacuums. I guess the noise is not great for pets!

12 dianacheung July 5, 2010 at 7:53 am

i always love the blast from the past pictures you put on your blog! You look like you’ve always enjoyed life!

13 Lesley July 5, 2010 at 8:54 am

2 Things:

1. I LOVE your blue dress from your cruise last year.
2. I really like hair a little longer like in your 2005 picture. Aren’t you thinking of growing it out? I think it’s cute!

thanks for sharing!

14 Emilyeatsclean July 5, 2010 at 9:25 am

Happy 4th July!!! Poor Maddie!! I’m wondering if my kitties were terrified last night while we were gone to fireworks….they are big chickens. ๐Ÿ™‚

15 DiningAndDishing July 5, 2010 at 10:28 am

In high school I spent fourth of july with my two best friends and a bunch of boys we were hanging out with at the time. The whole night was random and hilarious and I still laugh when I think about it :). To be in high school again!!

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

16 Elizabeth July 5, 2010 at 10:33 am

I bought the Thundershirt a couple of months ago for my dog – who has terrible anxiety issues with thunderstorms. It works great! It’s basically a tight t-shirt that the dog wears, and the pressure is calming immediately. You can check out their website and see if Maddie might like it! (money back guarantee helps too ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Melissa @ For the Love of Health July 5, 2010 at 10:45 am

I am not sure how to calm the puppy other than holding her. I hope she’s all good now.
Love the memory lane ๐Ÿ™‚ Looks like a blast all around!
Don’t forget to enter my giveaway! ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Erica July 5, 2010 at 11:44 am

Frank was totally freaking out last night too. I was sad to say it, but I just wanted all the fireworks to stop so he would be OK! Glad you had a fun day with Derek. I really want to see Eclipse. I’ve heard really mixed reviews though. Hope you’re doing well

19 alison July 5, 2010 at 11:49 am

I’m sorry to hear that Maddie didn’t like the fireworks.
I’m visiting my parents in florida and the weather has been really cruddy; we stayed home and watched fireworks from DC and NYC on TV. That’s one way to avoid the crowds and rainy weather, I suppose. I loved your photo trip down memory lane!

20 Tiffany July 5, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I was a bad puppy mom, and left Roxy at home =( But I talked to my brother and apparently my parents’ dog was so scared, she was hiding in the bathtub! poor babygirl.

I actually really liked Eclipse overall, despite the poor acting (especially by KStew. I was already not a fan of Bella in the books, KStew just butchers any hope of my liking the character). I was actually impressed that my BF didn’t mind the movie, but actually had tons of questions afterwards, and laughed at all the references to previous movies.

21 Sarah July 5, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Giving treats to doggies when they are scared sounds like a good idea in the human brain, but in the dog brain it only reinforces the scared behavior. They think, “scared & shaking = treats.” :/

Best thing I could recommend is to maintain a calm attitude yourself and your pup will feel assured that you are in charge and everything is ok. It helps my dog when I tire her out, so we went on a loooong walk earlier in the day.

22 Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt July 5, 2010 at 7:23 pm

I spent many 4th of Julys at Tom Brown park! I’m also from Pensacola. What a fun little trip down memory lane for me using your photos. Creepy?!

As for the pup, I give my dog 1/2 benadryl on the 4th and NYE. It calms him down and he is sane for the night. It was a trick from my vet!