A Wedding Flashback

by Meghann on July 3, 2010

I’ve never felt more accomplished running 10 miles as I did this morning.

There is something about waking up at the crack of dawn and setting out on a set number of miles you haven’t ran in a couple of months and knowing that the run is going to rock no matter what.

I ran one of my favorite routes around my hometown that actually took me by the bride to be’s house and the church they will be getting married in. It was kind of fun to see everything before the craziness sets in later on in the day.

I finished the 10 miles in around 1:31 and tried as hard as I could to stick to my goal pace of 9:05.

I left a quiet house and returned to a bustling, busy one.

My Dad was hard at work in the kitchen preparing waffles for the full house.

I was really looking forward to waffles. πŸ™‚

I had one and topped it with yogurt and mixed berries.

My Dad makes the best waffles from scratch. His trick is whipping the egg whites before adding them to the batter. Whipped egg whites is a guarantee for light, fluffy waffles everytime.:)

I had one piece of bacon. I <3 bacon.

Now, it’s time to prepare for April and Jason’s wedding! I just ran into the mother of the bride at Publix (yeah – small town) and she was gathering snacks for the bridal party to nibble on as they get ready. So exciting!!

In just a few hours April and Jason will actually be saying ‘I do’ in the same church my parents were married in back in 1982.

IMG_0804.jpg

My Mom was barely 18 and my Dad was 19. They were babies!

And if you think my Mom was young – get this – my Mom’s mom was only 35(!!) at the time!

Only in the south, right?

We were flipping through my parent’s old wedding album last night and just for giggles decided it would be fun to try on my Mom’s old wedding dress.

My Mom looking gorgeous on her wedding day in 1982…

IMG_0816.jpg

Kelly and I resembling over laced barbie dolls in 2010.

IMG_0835.jpg IMG_0834.jpg

I’ll admit we did have fun scaring the guys a little. πŸ˜‰

Have you ever tried on your Mom’s old wedding dress?

My mom gave me full permission to incorporate her old wedding dress into my future wedding dress one day. I was thinking it would be nice to have some of the lace sewn into my future bodice or mixed into the bouquet. πŸ™‚

1 Jenny July 3, 2010 at 11:41 am

Yum your breakfast is making me hungry!

2 Kim July 3, 2010 at 11:43 am

Those pictures of you and your sister in your Mom’s wedding dress made me (literally) laugh out loud!

3 missyrayn July 3, 2010 at 11:43 am

I would have loved to try my mom’s dress on or wear it. It was so pretty. But It burned in a house fire before I was born.

I think its funny you made the guys squirm πŸ™‚

4 Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness July 3, 2010 at 12:07 pm

What fun reminiscing over your parents wedding photos! Your mom was a lovely bride.
And LOL on you and your sis trying on her gown. I especially love the huge poofy veil.

5 Dea July 3, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I love the WAFFLES!!! WANT THEM!!

6 Duchess of Fork July 3, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Oh my goodness, I love your parents’ wedding photos! How cute. My parents were married in the 80s, too, and I love looking at their photos. I tried my mom’s dress on when I was planning my wedding. It fit, but it just wasn’t me….the whole 80s fashion thing, ya know. πŸ˜‰ Happy 4th of July to you and yours!

7 Meghan@traveleatlove July 3, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Wow! Your parents were so young! I thought I was young getting married at 26 1/2. Must be the day for weddings, we are going to one too!

8 inmytummy July 3, 2010 at 1:38 pm

It’s so funny how people our parents ages all had long sleeved wedding dresses.

9 Melissa @ For the Love of Health July 3, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Congrats on the 10 miler!! so awesome!
Have a wonderful weekend with your family!
Check out my blog for my giveaway!

10 britchickruns July 3, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I love those wedding dress pictures!! Gotta love the fashion back then…!
Good job on the 10miles πŸ™‚

11 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com July 3, 2010 at 2:35 pm

My mom wore a crazy long lace veil at her wedding, which had been a…get this…tablecloth at my aunt’s wedding. My mother-in-law turned the veil into a cocktail dress for my after-party.

12 ellaroo88 July 3, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Holy Moly your parents were young when they got married! My Mom actually gave her dress to goodwill. . . which is great cause I don’t feel any pressure to use it

13 kaztronomic July 3, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I love looking through old albums. Wow, young love for your parents and grandparents. πŸ˜€ But, when the heart knows, it knows.

Have fun at the wedding!

14 Fervent Foodie July 3, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I made low-carb waffles this morning, and they were a little flat. I’ll have to try whipping the egg whites next time!

15 cookingincambridge July 3, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Oh gosh, wedding dresses… they are one of my favorite things! I truly wish I would have kept my mother’s wedding dress after she passed away, but I wasn’t thinking about it at the time. If I could, I would definitely incorporate a piece in my future dress… just think about it: one day, your daughter could do it too.

And the waffles are tempting. NOM NOM NOM.

πŸ™‚

16 biz319 July 3, 2010 at 3:56 pm

My Mom was 4 feet 10 inches tall and weighed 90 pounds when she got married! Pretty sure I was that height and weight by 6th grade!

Have fun!

17 mayapamela July 3, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I was going to say before I saw how old she was, wow your mom looks young in her wedding photos! I’m 20 and I’ve never had a serious boyfriend. I can’t imagine marrying at 18.

18 Rosey Rebecca July 3, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Those pictures are priceless. You and your sister look great! I’ve never tried on my mother’s wedding dress. I have a thing about not trying on a wedding dress until I’m getting married. My mom got engaged when she was 19 and married when she was 21. I have the blender she got as a wedding present in 1971.

19 Jocelyn July 3, 2010 at 4:14 pm

ahahah I love you girls in the wedding dress! Very fun.
You know..my mom was 90 lbs..I would be lucky to get her dress on my leg. lol

20 Evan Thomas July 3, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I can happily and honestly say I have never tried on my mom’s wedding dress, Ha! πŸ™‚

21 Stacey July 3, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Well done on the 10 miler – I look forward to the time when I can complete such a distance. The waffles look gooood! When I visit the States I always have to get some kind of waffle or pancake because they are delish!

22 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) July 3, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Too funny! As a kid I used to wear my mom’s old communion dress and pretend I was getting married. Awesome that your mom is letting you incorporate some of her dress into yours. Reminds me of 27 Dresses though…make sure you sis doesn’t plan on wearing the dress for her wedding haha!

Congrats on the run!

23 thatrunnerchick July 3, 2010 at 6:23 pm

so cute that you guys tried on your mom’s old dress!! my mom got married super young as well, she was 19 to my dad’s 21. i cant even imagine being married when i could barely vote, nevermind legally drink!! but…theyve been together 25 years so guess it was a good decision πŸ˜€

ps…i love bacon too!!

24 Kelly Olexa July 3, 2010 at 6:32 pm

OMG. Those waffles look like heaven on a plate. I haven’t had waffles in years and years!!! And the pictures of your parents are adorable!!! Totally! πŸ˜‰

25 BroccoliHut July 3, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Haha, oddly enough I randomly decided to try on my mom’s 1977 wedding dress just a few days ago. Another throwback!

26 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 3, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Hahaha you two are too cute. I was waiting for the photo with you two modeling the dress…and ta da! there it was!

Your parents were super babies!!! Wow. I definitely was NOT ready at 18 to get married nor am I even close at 22. Go Mr. and Mrs. Anderson!

27 rachael July 4, 2010 at 6:31 am

Love the wedding dress shots! I think I tried on my mom’s wedding dress once when I was 15 but neither of us ever considered it for my own wedding. I like your idea of incorporating a piece of it.

It’s amazing that your parents were married so young and are still married. True love.:)

28 Erin July 4, 2010 at 11:17 am

My parents were young, too! My mom was 19 and Dad was 21. My mom’s dress was destroyed in a house fire, but some of the lace was saved. My grandma made a memory doll out of it for me along with a hankie from my great grandma and a tablecloth from my grandma. It is something I will cherish forever!

My mom was homecoming queen back in ’72, so I used to try on her homecoming dress and crown when I was little. However, my mom weighed 90 lbs in high school, so I don’t quite fit.

29 Heather July 4, 2010 at 1:10 pm

My parents were about that age when they got married too! I never tried my Mom’s wedding dress on, but when we were moving and packing years ago she found it in a box and she tried it on, and it still fit her!

The pics from your other post on the wedding look like it was a blast! How fun πŸ™‚

30 runningwithsass July 4, 2010 at 4:37 pm

too funny!
I was 21 when I got married so I can’t say much!

31 Gab* July 5, 2010 at 1:42 am

Hah! I laughed out loud at you guys in the wedding dress! I think I tried my mum’s on at 13 and it fit me but no chance of that now, she was 5’1″ and 95lb when she got married at 21! My mum was a child bride too!

32 RunningOnCoffee November 15, 2010 at 9:52 am

My mom had offered me her 1982 wedding dress when I got married in 2007 at 24… it looks pretty similar and I had hoped she wasn’t serious. Looking back, maybe she had just wanted me to try it on. It turns out something went wrong with the preservation process and it had some stains on it anyway when she opened up the box her dress was in. I did end up using her veil; sort of- though it was made shorter, and I only tucked it into where my hair was pulled back (not worn higher on my head). I did not preserve my own wedding dress after; though it is still hanging in a garment bag in my closet. I would have been happy to sell it but didn’t know where to do that. I don’t want to bring the dress with me on all of our future moves. And who knows if we will have kids/if we will have girls/if they will get married – but I don’t want to guilt them into feeling like they should wear it either!