more ยป" />

She Works Hard for the Money

by Meghann on June 29, 2010

I was a busy working bee today.

(Please ignore the no make-up, tired look – that just proves I was working hard, right? )

The exhibit hall opened at 9:30 this morning and we had a steady flow of people through the morning.

Unlike yesterday, I actually came prepared this morning with some granola bars and various other snacks ‘just in case.’ Around 10:30 I dove into one of those ‘just in case’ bars. ๐Ÿ™‚

The mix of the peanuts and the chocolate in the Nature Valley Dark Chocolate & Nut Bar tasted just like a snickers. The ingredient list was less then stellar, but it did taste good. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I volunteered for the later lunch in our staggered group and by the time it was my turn to eat I was starving. I headed to a cute little sub shop down the street and ordered a sub combo.

The Napa Valley Sub spoke to me on the menu with words like turkey, guacamole, sprouts, and cucumber. Yum!

The sub was delicious and very filling. I devoured the entire thing and left the chips for another time. I meant to eat them this afternoon, but never had the urge, perhaps tomorrow? ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll be honest our afternoon in the booth was painfully slow. The weather is absolutely GORGEOUS here and we all joked that all the attendees were out by the pool because that’s where we all wanted to be.

I tried to do some ‘trick or treating’ at the other booths by doing a walk through and collecting other goodies, but some of the other exhibitors were just plain rude. If any of the other exhibitors would have come to my booth and asked for more info on our products I would have happily provided a free pencil or pen. Since I didn’t have a scannable badge I might as well have been chopped liver to some of these folks. How rude!

An afternoon pick me up was in needed and a kid size smoothie from Jamba Juice was just what the doctor ordered.

IMG_0663.jpg

I believe it was some sort of Pom blend? My co-worker picked it up for me and I am forever grateful to her for it. ๐Ÿ™‚

At 5:00pm our duties came to a close for the day. Two days down, one more to go!

Everyone was beat, so dinner was on our own this evening. I debated on seeing if any readers were free for dinner, but I didn’t have it in me to seek anyone out. Instead I headed to a deli on the corner and grabbed a fantastic salad for dinner.

The salad was a veggie melody off the menu board and contained a ton of veggies including beets, peppers, tomato, and cucumbers. My only complaint was the heavy dose of dressing. Does salad really need to be drenched in so much dressing? By the end my lips were puckering from the intense lemon dressing that drenched the entire salad. I always kick myself for forgetting to ask for the dressing on the side and this was no exception.

The whole wheat roll on the side did a great job taking down the intensity of the dressing. Each bite soaked up some of the flavors in my mouth. I believe this is a key reason why bread is such an important addition to any salad. ๐Ÿ™‚

Are you a dressing lover or a dressing hater? Honesty dressing is something I could easily live without. I would rather taste all the goodies I added to the salad than anything else. ๐Ÿ™‚

Time to zone out in front of the tv. I head home tomorrow! Woo hoo!

Good night!

1 Jenny June 29, 2010 at 11:07 pm

I’m a moderate dressing lover… can’t handle too much of anything!

2 chasingthenow June 29, 2010 at 11:07 pm

I like some dressings, but not many. Cesar and Italian are the best, Ranch is okay.

–P.S. I hate when other companies treat people like that. So silly.

3 dorrybird June 29, 2010 at 11:17 pm

I love my dressing on the side – agree with you that sometimes it’s better to just taste the yummy salad ingredients. ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Erica June 29, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Loving the (intentional?) Full House reference ๐Ÿ˜€

5 caronae June 30, 2010 at 12:10 am

Your eats look so good today. Honestly though, to someone who has been eating nothing but plain bread for days (bas food poisoning!) anything that isn’t plain bread looks tasty.

I used to not like dressing but now I enjoy the flavor it adds — you only need a little bit and the healthy fats bring a salad up a notch!

6 Sarah June 30, 2010 at 12:24 am

I hate it when salad is overdressed. I also hate salad with NO dressing though. I’m a fork dipper myself ๐Ÿ˜€ I get dressing on the side an then just dip the tines of my fork in for a little bit on each bite. My husband thinks it’s so weird, hahaha.

7 Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 30, 2010 at 12:37 am

I definitely do not like a lot of dressing. I always ask for it on the side. I am more like you and prefer the taste of all the things in the salad. Sometimes I dip my fork in the dressing but drenched salad is yucky!

8 gavrielski June 30, 2010 at 1:18 am

Looks like your days are busy and productive! I am–and always have been–a dressing hater. There’s something about the vast majority of salad dressings that just doesn’t taste right to me! I prefer a little bit of lemon juice, salt, pepper, and some garlic powder when I’m feeling a little bit more adventurous. ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck tomorrow!

9 kaztronomic June 30, 2010 at 1:21 am

I seriously dislike dressing. It makes for soggy salads. I tend to cover mine in avocado. ๐Ÿ˜€

10 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 30, 2010 at 1:48 am

I’m not all that into dressings either – oil & vinegar is fine by me.

11 Kristin June 30, 2010 at 2:17 am

I feel like there is a magic ratio of dressing to salad ingredients that only I can master. When someone else mixes it, the ratio is usually off and I have a hard time enjoying my salad. Sad, but so true.

12 britchickruns June 30, 2010 at 2:25 am

I’m definetly not a dressing lover – I always ask for it on the side. Most of the time they’re far too oily for my liking :s
I hope today goes OK for you ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Lisa @ bakebikeblog June 30, 2010 at 2:43 am

Argh I always ask for it on the side for EXACTLY the same reason!!!!! So icky when it is COVERED in oil!!!

14 Amanda June 30, 2010 at 5:21 am

I hate most dressings because they’re too heavy and ruin all the “goodies,” like you said.

I usually like a light balsamic or oil and vinegar just to liven up the veggies and bring out the taste.

~Amanda

15 soyaetchocolat June 30, 2010 at 6:35 am

I always remember to ask for the dressing on the side because I don’t like the vinegar taste of ALL salad dressings. It’s always to acid for my taste… I have found out that, if I mix 1 part EVOO, 1 part balsamic vinegar and 1 part maple syrup, then I can enjoy the light vinegar taste. It’s actually THE best salad dressing in the world. Unfortunately, I don’t think I can order it in any restaurant… ๐Ÿ™ So it’s just a little bit of oil, salt and pepper for me!

16 Emily June 30, 2010 at 6:45 am

I used to love salads slathered in dressing when I was younger, and now I can’t stand it. I agree with fork-dipping! It’s the way to go. Just a bit of flavor to kick up the taste of all those greens!

17 Cassie June 30, 2010 at 7:04 am

I am obsessed with salt and vinegar chips. They would not have lasted long in my hands!

18 Courtney @ Three Months June 30, 2010 at 7:08 am

I’ll admit, I do like dressings. BUT if the salad itself is very flavorful and has great textures, then a light dressing it will be! ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Amanda June 30, 2010 at 7:22 am

I prefer my salads naked.

20 amanda June 30, 2010 at 7:54 am

i definitly could live without dressing. however, i usually end up putting it on my salad. but i never miss it if it’s not there.

your job seems like such fun. although, i know you work hard! but i enjoy the traveling aspect and meeting new people and such. i need to find a job like that. taking applications? haha.

21 steph June 30, 2010 at 7:58 am

I don’t know what kind of snickers you are eating, because that granola bar does not taste like one to me. In my dreams! haha.

22 Kelsey June 30, 2010 at 8:04 am

I’m not really a dressing lover…I find that there are so few dressings that I enjoy, I’d rather just eat my salad without it! Although, I will occasionally use a vinaigrette-type dressing if I feel like changin’ it up.

23 Lisa June 30, 2010 at 8:07 am

It is great you find such healthy food even when you are eating out.

24 Amanda June 30, 2010 at 8:58 am

So rude of the other vendors – my mom is attending this conference and she did indeed take yesterday “off” to take a tour of the area ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m a dressing person – what can I say, I can’t do veggies alone yet!

25 carol June 30, 2010 at 9:08 am

this comment is not meant to be rude but .. why do you comment on the ingredients on the granola bar being kind of bad ..? I understand there is a long ingredient list but isnt it better compared to chips?

26 Meghann June 30, 2010 at 9:11 am

Not necessarily. The chips have roughly 3 ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil, and seasonings – all ingredients that I recognize and all I would consider more ‘real food’. The granola bar has a LONG list of ingredients – some I don’t recognize and some I would consider fake food. I am a BIG believer in real food as opposed to fake food that may or may not have less calories.

27 Emilyeatsclean June 30, 2010 at 9:27 am

While I do like dressing, I definitley prefer it on the side. I’m a dip-my-salad kind of person!

28 megan June 30, 2010 at 9:33 am

are you reading something borrowed? I read that and really liked it. well, I don’t like the subject matter all that much as I think it’s completely wrong ๐Ÿ™‚ but the book was really good

29 Danielle June 30, 2010 at 9:54 am

I like very simple vinaigrettes lightly drizzled over a salad. I think the beets and toppings in the salad you had are the best part. I like to taste my veggies. I use the dressing to complement the flavor, not overwhelm it.

30 Juli D. June 30, 2010 at 9:57 am

Dressing is great because it keeps things interesting! There are so many different flavors you can put into a dressing that will not only change up your food (in this case salad) but you can also infuse flavors into the dressing that will enhance the flavor of the veggies. It’s such an easy way to amp up your food.

31 Fueling for Fitness June 30, 2010 at 10:08 am

I am in the exact same boat. I usually remember to ask for dressing on the side, but on the rare occasions that I don’t, I always end up with an upset stomach or loss of taste in my mouth.

The other day, I had a gorgeous zucchini spaghetti dish with pesto that would have been *stellar* had they not drenched it with oily pesto. ๐Ÿ™

-Alison

32 theprocessofhealing June 30, 2010 at 10:17 am

I like dressing, but just a little bit. I don’t like it DRENCHED.

33 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) June 30, 2010 at 10:20 am

I love GOOD dressing in moderation! Here in Mozambique we dont really have salad at ALL, and if you ever have a little lettuce with some tomatoes on top, people just dump a bunch of oil on top. Not even olive oil… like, regular old vegetable greasy oil. I have a newfound respect and love for vinegarettes and Italian and other dressings!

34 teneightsixfour June 30, 2010 at 10:21 am

I totally recognized the 16th St Mall in one of your pictures! I love Denver, its my favorite! & I’m def a moderate dressing kinda girl!

35 Marissa June 30, 2010 at 10:25 am

I need some wetness and flavor to my salads, but I hate it when its drenched! I don’t use dressing myself (too many funky ingredients and the nicer brands are too expensive). Salsa and mustard both make fine substitutes in my opinion!

36 Kellie June 30, 2010 at 10:28 am

I don’t like lots of dressing on my salad. It ruins all the fresh flavors of the salad.

37 Brianna June 30, 2010 at 10:35 am

I am definately a dressing lover! Dressings, dipping sauces, anything to coat my food is a must. I prefer creamier dressings to vinaigrettes, but I know they’re healthier for me so I make the sacrifice from time to time.

38 Danielle C. June 30, 2010 at 10:38 am

Now I am craving that sub, sounds so good!

How do you like Something Borrowed? It was one of my favorite “chick lit” books of all time. I can’t wait for the movie next year!

39 Jessica June 30, 2010 at 10:39 am

I’ve read something borrowed! I actually like Something Blue better, but I own all of her books, in case you want to borrow the other 3!

40 Beth @ DiningAndDishing June 30, 2010 at 11:06 am

I like a very light amount of dressing. There is a salad place near my work that asks “light, medium or heavy” on the dressing and it makes me so happy! Drenched salads just ruin it for me…

41 Lauren @ Running Examiner June 30, 2010 at 11:41 am

I’m super particular about dressing. I love balsamic (vinegar or vinaigrette), but that’s about it. (Possible exception–carrot ginger. It’s amazing). I almost always ask for my dressing on the side. If I don’t, the servers are far too liberal with it!

42 Michelle... June 30, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I love me a good dressing, but always on the side as it can be rather overwhelming if there’s too much. It’s much easier to add extra than take away too much.

43 cara June 30, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I just dont think dressing is worth the calories. I like ranch but all the olive oil/vinegar kind are gross to me.

44 Brynne June 30, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I hate when I forget to ask for dressing on the side! I’ve had salads so drenched I literally couldn’t eat them. I don’t get why people try to mask the taste of vegetables??

45 missyrayn June 30, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Just a bit of vinegar is good for me. I learned this from my Peruvian friend who only had lemon or vinegar. I really don’t like regular dressing because it just masks the flavors. I think restaurants do it because they give you mostly iceberg.

How rude of the other people. Just be nice. I’m sure they had tons of freebies.

46 Miranda @ MirandasJeans June 30, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Dressing on the side always. I hate it too how the salad is soaked in dressing to the point that that is all you can ever taste. I love to taste the food I’m eating and not just the sauce or dressing.