more ยป" />

My Feet Hurt

by Meghann on June 28, 2010

Just a little advice: if you are going to be on your feet for 9 hours straight, it’s probably not a smart idea to wear new shoes. I can not tell you how much my feet are aching right now! Ouch!

I knew it was going to be a long day, but i think my mind always mentally blocks out just how truly long it’s going to be. Let’s just say I’m glad to be back in my room on the comfy hotel bed. Rest and relaxation are key now. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The morning was pretty busy in our booth, we had a mad rush of attendees and I got straight to work spreading the word about our company. My breakfast did not hold me over well at all and by mid-morning I was begging a co-worker for any sort of snack or drink she could get her hands on and bring back to the booth. I need to be more prepared with snacks tomorrow!

She worked wonders and snagged me a fruit salad from the exhibitor lounge and I nibbled on it through the rest of the morning.

This altitude has really dehydrated me. All I crave is fruit and water, and let me tell you this bowl of fruit was extra delicious to me today just for that reason.

My co-workers and I staggered lunch breaks which worked out wonderfully. I was able to escape the madness for an hour and enjoy the wonderful warmth and sunshine outside the convention center.

I didn’t have to travel far for a good lunch. Right down the street I discovered Mad Greens – a build your own salad and panini shop. The line that went out the door let me know this place may be worth stopping at.

I was too lazy to actually put any thought into ‘building my own’ meal, so I took the easy route and went with a half and half combo using one of the suggested salad and panini creations.

My half salad – which really looked like a giant salad – contained Tender Baby Greens, Roasted Beets, Pumpkin Seeds, House Croutons & Fresh Goat Cheese; otherwise known as the ‘Crazy Ivan.’

The half of the Veggie Panini came with jack cheese, mushrooms, roasted red peppers and artichoke hearts.

I actually preferred the panini to the salad. It was extra flavorful for some reason. I think it was the jack cheese. ๐Ÿ˜‰

After lunch it was back to work!

By the way, this conference is HUGE! Check out some of the booths!

p.s. ours isn’t even close to being that cool! It must be nice to work somewhere with an unlimited budget. A girl can dream, right? ๐Ÿ™‚

At some point this afternoon I had a very sugary muffin that tasted terrible, but filled the void that was my stomach. When I’m hungry I have the tendency just to shove anything in my face – I really need to work on that!

One of the large tasks I was assigned for this conference was to organize a 60 person cocktail hour for our clients and prospects. I spent some time researching Denver restaurants that could hold our crowd at a reasonable price and ended up going with The Rock Bottom Brewery. I really enjoyed working with the restaurant and had no probably organizing the event over the phone. Plus, I got a lot of compliments so I’m assuming the evening was a big success. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Honestly doing events like these is one of my favorite parts of my job. I wish I could do nothing, but plan and organize events all day long. Mix in some social media and you’ve got my dream job in a nut shell. Anyone hiring?!?! ๐Ÿ˜‰ (Shelley – you did not read that.)

While mingling I had a wheat ale and a few sips of cab.

IMG_0615.jpg IMG_0640.jpg

The food was a big hit! I hand picked the menu myself and tried to stay away from the typical heavy dishes and focused on fresh fruit and veggies with just a couple other hot items thrown in. Everyone appreciated all the fresh food and the fruit was easily the first thing gone from the buffet. Love it!

I filled my plate with a bite of everything.

Then went back for dessert.

A few of my co-workers wanted to go out and keep drinking, but I was done for the night! I don’t know how they are still moving – I’m exhausted!

I’m brushing my teeth and heading to bed. I’ve got another long day ahead of me, but first I hope to get a run in through downtown Denver. I <3 running!

Good Night!!

1 dorrybird June 28, 2010 at 11:54 pm

A run in downtown Denver sounds incredible! I hope you get some rest and your feet feel better tomorrow. ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Amy @ Second City Randomness June 28, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Glad you had fun! I love the part of my job where I get to do big events like that… I only wish we did more than two a year!

Oh and Rock Bottom Brewery is nothing short of awesomeness…

3 Rosey Rebecca June 28, 2010 at 11:58 pm

I love event planning! I think I need to check out Denver. Seems like an awesome city!

4 Marilou @ Mostly Healthy June 29, 2010 at 12:08 am

You definitely described my dream job as well … Wanna start a business with me? ๐Ÿ˜‰

5 spabettie June 29, 2010 at 12:14 am

I love event planning! …and I love unlimited budgets… I had one once, wow, what a job that was! so different…

looks like an exciting day, I would have LOVED it all !!

have a great run, hope your feet feel better by then! ๐Ÿ™‚

6 adrienmelaine June 29, 2010 at 12:14 am

You just described my dream job as well- I actually wish I was at that conference, it looks awesome- not to mention the host city is fantastic!

7 kbwood June 29, 2010 at 12:18 am

oh my gosh i bet my feet would hurt so bad too!! I love event planning – but i get so stressed from it! i heard denver was AWESOME! I am jealous!

8 kaztronomic June 29, 2010 at 12:32 am

Gosh, I’d love to be an event planner! Your job sounds pretty nice, too, though. Any job that includes travel doesn’t sound half bad! ๐Ÿ˜€

9 Lisa @ bakebikeblog June 29, 2010 at 12:54 am

Wow – crazy day!!!! Hope you get some well earned R & R ๐Ÿ™‚

10 ForDGRedial June 29, 2010 at 2:34 am

Oh my goodness that looks like a full but fabulous day! I have the same issue as you, when I’m hungry I end-up eating thoughtlessly but I’m working on it :o)

11 Tiffany June 29, 2010 at 3:09 am

Great job organizing the cocktail hour! I wish my job description included fun tasks like that (and I love Rock Bottom as well).

Trade shows are so much fun (yet so stressful at the same time). The booths I see are always amazing, and makes me sad that our booth is so dinky in comparison.

12 britchickruns June 29, 2010 at 3:24 am

I don’t blame you for going to bed – sounds like such a busy day! It seems to be going well though right?I hope today is just as good ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Cassie June 29, 2010 at 6:21 am

I <3 Mad Greens. I ate there probably 3 or 4 times in the one week I was in Denver.

14 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope June 29, 2010 at 6:26 am

on your feet for 9 hours straight and no shoes? haha, try 12.5 hours straight! But i never thought if it would be better without shoes. Sneakers!

15 Courtney @ Three Months June 29, 2010 at 7:02 am

It looks like you did a great job planning the cocktail hour! Enjoy your morning run! ๐Ÿ™‚

16 Jenny June 29, 2010 at 8:03 am

Hope your feet feel better tomorrow!:)

17 Jenna June 29, 2010 at 8:28 am

Maybe you should go into event planning?!

18 Brynne June 29, 2010 at 8:58 am

I would LOVE to find a job that is event planning + social media. SO fun and perfect!

19 Marissa June 29, 2010 at 8:59 am

That’s my kinda size salad! I hate how restaurant salads are always so puny. Its like they don’t realize that I want to EAT, not just nibble on lettuce leaves and carrots.

20 gehr June 29, 2010 at 4:59 pm

i think they’d expect that if you really want to EAT you wouldn’t order just a salad.

21 freshman5k June 29, 2010 at 9:03 am

I can’t tell you how many times a simple fruit salad has saved my life. Most of the time, it’s the only healthy food item available when traveling!

22 Kelly June 29, 2010 at 9:14 am

If that Rock Bottom is the same chain that I’ve been to around here in in VA then I love it! So good!

23 runningwithsass June 29, 2010 at 9:15 am

boo to aching feet, that’s no fun! SOunds like everything has beena big success!

24 Anne June 29, 2010 at 9:17 am

I was in Denver a few weeks ago and went to Mad Greens, too! Such a great place. I really liked their yogurt dressing — yum!!! Wish I had a Mad Greens in our town!

25 Emily June 29, 2010 at 9:27 am

I was just at the same convention center for the American Dietetic Association’s FNCE conference…it’s huge! I also loved Denver, but the altitude really impacted my running. I went to Mad Greens and the Rock Bottom Brewery, too!

26 Brittany June 29, 2010 at 9:31 am

I definitely know what you mean about aching feet at conferences. After sitting at a desk for 8 hours everyday your feet just aren’t used to getting that much use, plus the concrete floors are brutal.

Glad to hear your event went well. I wish I was at ISTE so I could have crashed your party. ๐Ÿ™‚

27 Tina June 29, 2010 at 9:35 am

I love the thought of having fresh fruits and veggies as a focal point of the buffet. Not many people go that route and it is so refreshing when that is an option. The food looked great. ๐Ÿ™‚

28 Emilyeatsclean June 29, 2010 at 10:12 am

Congrats on the successful planning/executing of the cocktail hour…..the eats look great!

29 lauren l. June 29, 2010 at 10:16 am

There is an AMAZING breakfast place in Denver called Snooze – It is a few blocks from the 16th Street Mall where it sounds like you’re staying, and typically has a long wait, but it was seriously soooooo delicious and I’d highly recommend squeezing in a visit if you have time during all of the conference craziness. Best wishes!

30 Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 29, 2010 at 10:24 am

Wow what a great spread you had at your mixer last night… I would have loved to have been there. I also know what you mean about eating terrible food when you are absolutely ravenously hungry. I never feel good after eating garbage because it is almost always the easiest thing to get your hands on and into your mouth.

31 Jenna (Hello, I Love You) June 29, 2010 at 10:41 am

Love Denver! There is a great restaurant in Larimer Square called Osteria Marco—amazing! ๐Ÿ™‚

32 Jo June 29, 2010 at 11:12 am

You can be an event planner at a PR firm!

33 Kate June 29, 2010 at 11:13 am

Looks like an awesome event!!! Great job. I, too, would LOVE to do that exclusively for my job ๐Ÿ™‚ If anyone in the Boston area is hiring, I’m ready to find a new position…

Hee hee.

34 Jess June 29, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I love Rock Bottom Brewery. The BF and I go there a bunch. Good food and good beer for the BF.

I’m also like 99% sure you are at the same conference as my coworker. She’s running the Kids.gov booth somewhere!

35 missyrayn June 29, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I at at that restaurant once in Ohio and it was wonderful. Sounds like you had a busy day!

36 mindy June 29, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Glad the cocktail hour went great! I’ll admit, that’s high on my list of dreams jobs as well (and yes, there are several dream jobs!)