more ยป" />

Gettin' Dirty in the Woods

by Meghann on June 27, 2010

This weekend I…

• wore the same outfit two days in a row (and slept in it)
  • ‘showered’ with baby wipes
  • forgot what a brush was
  • turned my cellphone and computer off
  • learned out to be a bad ass on the ATV

This weekend I went camping. ๐Ÿ™‚

And I had a blast!

Saturday morning my internal alarm clock had be up at 5:30 am. I was up and out the door at 6:00 for a quick run around my cousin’s neighborhood.

That 4 mile run was amazing. I did a double loop around the neighborhood and managed to get a good amount of rolling hills in – something we seriously lack in Florida! I also enjoyed the cooler temps. It was 50 degrees and breezy on my run. Loved it. ๐Ÿ™‚

I enjoyed breakfast with two of my favorite girls.

My cousin wasn’t sure what I eat for breakfast, so I offered to just eat what I had packed from home.

In my bowl was a mix of Kashi Cereals, some Vanilla Almond Butter, and 1/2 an apple.

We left straight form breakfast to the Pike Peak National Forrest about an hour and a half away from Colorado Spring.

The girls were really excited to dig in to the cupcakes I had brought them all the way from Sweet! in Orlando.

Hannah had the peanut butter cupcake and ate the whole thing! She said Reeses are her favorite candy and the cupcake tasted just like it. She also preferred the actual cupcake to the icing.

Kylie had the Black Out Cupcake which was a chocolat cupcake with vanilla icing and then dipped in a chocolate coating.

Kylie preferred the icing to the cupcake and licked her cupcake clean of icing.

Of course, both girls shared. ๐Ÿ˜‰

For being two days old, both cupcakes were still very moist and still melt in your mouth delicious! I preferred the peanut butter to the chocolate, but I think that’s just personal preference. I would happily order both again! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Now, I’ve been camping before, but never like this. We literally drove through the woods and picked a spot on the side of the dirt road to stop. No electricity, no permits, no porta potties, no thrills… this was camping!

Well… we did have campers, atvs, and generators, but shhh…. don’t tell. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh, and we had dogs! Nine dogs in all – these people put my family to shame with traveling with their puppies!

IMG_0521.jpg IMG_0518.JPG

Once the campsite was set up, we dug into lunch! While everyone grilled up hot dogs, I got to work grilling acorn squash.

My aunt and uncle were really sweet and picked up some ‘rabbit food’ for me. I asked for yellow squash and zucchini to grill, but they told me the store was out of yellow squash so they grabbed an acorn squash instead. Not exactly the same thing, but the acorn squash actually turned out really well on the grill!

I had 1/2 of the acorn squash for lunch with a handful of Fritos and raisins.

Then it was time to ride!

5 Adults, 3 kids, 5 ATVs – no sweat, right? ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’ve driven ATVs one before, but this time I didn’t have to ‘take turns’ and could actually take the time to figure out what I was doing. It rocked. ๐Ÿ™‚

We did an easy trail the first time out, so that I could get used to switching gears and the new found power between my legs – HA! The weather was amazing and the sights were just as beautiful as I remembered. This is seriously the life.

I returned sweaty, dirty, and ready to do it all over again.

Between ride #1 and Ride #2 I had a string cheese.

and a bite of cupcake…. and some pretzels…

Ride #2 was a little more fun.

IMG_9358.jpg

It had a few more turns and a lot more trees. I had to remind myself to ‘trust the machine.’

I was wiped after a couple of hours of riding and in desperate need of a shower (a.k.a baby wipes) and the warmth of the fire.

Sexy boots, right?

Dinner was served picnic style.

My plate contained the other 1/2 of my acorn squash, some veggies, and a hard boiled egg.

I gave each of the girls a taste of my acorn squash and even though none of them liked it, they all were all really excited to try it. They all looked up to me and wanted to repeat exactly what I was doing – if I ate the squash, then they wanted some too.

It just goes to show you how much younger children really look up to their role models. I’m sure if I was eating cake for dinner then they would want cake too, but since I had the squash and veggies, they wanted squash and veggies too. ๐Ÿ™‚

I snuck a bite of the heath bar cupcake after dinner.

I was expecting more toffee flavor with the heath bar, but it was still good.

What’s camping without smores?

mmmm…..

I wanted to crash at 8:00 last night, but managed to stay awake until it got dark around 9:00. The fire was so warm and toasty – it was nice to catch up with my cousins while the little ones slept. ๐Ÿ™‚

Breakfast this morning was a bit interesting.

Apple = normal

Hard boiled egg sandwich with strawberry jelly on a hot dog bun = creative food choices with what i’ve got to work with. ๐Ÿ˜‰

It was good! Everyone else had frosted flakes and frosted mini wheats, but I knew I needed some and fruit. I’m pretty good at creating random meals out of nothing. I like a challenge!

IMG_9381.jpg

I know you’re digging the ‘I haven’t showered in two days and am wearing the same thing I wore to bed last night and on the ATVs yesterday’ look I’ve got going on.

We had just enough time to get one last run in before we had to pack up and head out. This time around I had a passenger – Miss Kylie – and my cousin, Jenny, was kind enough to snap some killer photos.

IMG_9382.jpg

IMG_9383.jpg

There was a teeny tiny incident where I accidentally had the ATV going down the mountain after a bad turn, but they pulled me out of it and I survived.

IMG_9386.jpg

IMG_9389.jpg

Sadly, our time in the mountains had to come to an end. *sniff *sniff

During pack up I had a granola bar and pretzels.

IMG_9390.JPG IMG_9391.JPG

MANY THANKS to Andy and Jenny for taking me out on a true mountain adventure. I can’t wait to come back and ride again!

Now, I’m on my way to Denver to work a tradeshow for work. But first I may need to hope in the shower – I kind of smell.

See ya!

1 spabettie June 27, 2010 at 3:25 pm

looks fun! I LOVE that egg sandwich!! ๐Ÿ™‚ inventive!

2 angiismyname June 27, 2010 at 3:41 pm

eggs and jelly??? ucky

3 britchickruns June 27, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I never get the egg/jelly thing..oddest combo ever!!
Everything looks so fun though ๐Ÿ™‚

4 John June 27, 2010 at 3:57 pm

O.K. I should of went with you ! looks like it would of been fun !!

5 Courtney @ Three Months June 27, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Yummy cupcakes!! They look heavenly! ๐Ÿ™‚

6 jenna June 27, 2010 at 4:11 pm

sounds like fun but i am SO not a outdoors camping gal ๐Ÿ˜‰

7 Tiffany June 27, 2010 at 4:16 pm

It looks like you had an amazing time! I’m very jealous (and now inspired to plan a camping trip!)

The dogs are so cute (especially the Australian Shepherd! I have a soft spot for them).

8 ellaroo88 June 27, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Looks like so much fun! We have a ATV but we just use it for work. I’ve never really understood ATVing. . .

9 runningwithsass June 27, 2010 at 5:03 pm

looks like you had a blast! I am not an outdoorsy person but that looks kinda fun!

10 Lindsay June 27, 2010 at 5:20 pm

That looks like a blast! Glad you had a good time in the Pike forest. It’s a pretty area. Next time, you have to go to the top of Pikes Peak on the cog railway. Or alternatively, you can run up and down Pikes Peak in the Pikes Peak Marathon! I know you’re tempted, Meghann….:)

11 cookingincambridge June 27, 2010 at 5:25 pm

What a fun, lovely, exciting weekend! I love camping… I will be soon camping on the beach in Corsica (aka: we are too college-cheap for hotels). Your meals will inspire me!

12 Lisa @ bakebikeblog June 27, 2010 at 5:25 pm

ooooh what an awesome weekend! It all looks like so much fun!!!

13 kaztronomic June 27, 2010 at 6:40 pm

You have a strength and fortitude that I lack — I hate being dirty and grimy. =P

However, your weekend looks like it was such a blast! How awesome! ๐Ÿ˜€

14 Evan Thomas June 27, 2010 at 6:56 pm

You are the best auntie in the world for packing cupcakes like that. Although how anyone wouldn’t prefer the frosting is beyond me

15 Julie @ Pickley Pear June 27, 2010 at 7:15 pm

That’s some hard core camping! Way to go on the run, fruits and veggies though. I probably would have been really bad and eaten hot dogs and Fritos the entire time!

16 Frugal 'n' Fit! June 27, 2010 at 7:17 pm

What a great post! I liked seeing your food creations when stuck in the middle of the woods with little options. Very inventive! (Hard-boiled eggs are a savior!)

17 Katherine: What About Summer? June 27, 2010 at 7:52 pm

intense camping; great blogging

18 Evelyn June 27, 2010 at 7:54 pm

LOL at your hard-boiled egg in a bun. With jelly?!? Too strange for me to even imagine what it tastes like : P

19 Rosey Rebecca June 27, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Those cupcakes look so good! I’ve never been camping but it looks like you had a great time!

20 amandapanda1981 June 27, 2010 at 9:25 pm

OMG those cupcakes look amazing!!! I seriously wish I could reach through my computer to grab a bite. I also the egg hotdog bun sandwich. It was very inventive.

21 gloriousgreens June 27, 2010 at 9:34 pm

I love how creative you were with your meals and how (seemingly) supportive your family was about your meal choices. I am in the process of trying to loss weight and still feel weird being picky. Any suggestions? Thanks!

22 Emilyeatsclean June 27, 2010 at 11:02 pm

That breakfast cracks me up, but way to be inventive with what you had to work with!! Looks like a fun and dirty weekend!! ๐Ÿ™‚

23 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) June 28, 2010 at 12:44 am

Ahh, I love camping and just forgetting about the “real world”. Looks like so much fun!!

24 Lorin June 28, 2010 at 1:08 am

I lovve camping!I’m actually going camping this following weekend (but no generators or anything) then backpacking with my dad and family friends for the first time ever in mid-July! I’m excited to buy all the freeze-dried foods for backpacking ๐Ÿ™‚ and having excuses to eat cliff bars. Of course seeing the scenery is also part of it.

25 Marissa June 28, 2010 at 9:24 am

That sounds like so much fun! It would have been my perfect trip if the ATVs could have been swapped for horses, heheh. I can’t believe that it was 50 degrees in the morning there! YOW! I’m not jealous. :]

26 Emily Josephine June 28, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Sweet! They have froyo now!

27 Kelly June 28, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Great camping meals! S’mores are so delicious – probably the only thing I like about camping (which I’ve never really done without plumbing, etc.) ๐Ÿ™‚ The cupcakes also look delicious!