more ยป" />

I've Still Got It

by Meghann on June 24, 2010

After creating my very ambitious Chicago Training Plan I started doubting myself and my ability to hold the paces I had set out to run. Though I used to hold 9:00 minute miles – or faster – for 15 or more miles with no problem, it had been at least two months since I’ve even cared what pace I’ve run.

I might as well have left my garmin at home the past two months because pace just became so unimportant – as it should be – during off season.

This morning I decided to see if I’ve still got it. I just wanted to make sure I could still run at least 9:00 minute miles for an extended period of time. The goal was 5 miles at a 9:00 minute pace, which I know doesn’t seem like much to some people, but we all have to start somewhere.

The first mile – as all first miles are – was tough. My body was up early and still waking up. After that holding 9:00 minute miles was just as easy as I remembered. In fact, mile 3 & 4 were all done at an 8:30 pace just because I wanted to see if i could do it – and I could!

Running 5 miles in around 45 minutes was a small victory in my long journey to BQ, but it’s a start. I felt I could have kept running at that pace for at least a few more miles. Hopefully after a little training I will feel the same way about 8:30 minute miles in a few weeks. We shall see! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Breakfast

I am quickly eating this bowl of cereal before I head to another day of training.

• 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crisp
  • 1/2 cup Multigrain Cheerios
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Flakes
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Almond Butter
  • Blueberries
  • Blackberries

Cellphone Bill Humor

A few years ago my siblings and I were all on separate cell phone plans and we all had problems with going over on minutes and text messages, so my Mom put us all on a 3000 minute family plan with unlimited data and text messaging.

(Yes, I’m still on my parent’s cellphone plan, but the plan is the same price whether there are four phones or three phones on it, so it just doesn’t make sense for me not to be on it. This is a BIG reason why I can’t seem to bring myself to switch to AT&T and the iPhone just yet.)

The plan worked well for all of us and honestly I never thought twice how many minutes or text messages I was using. I have friends that constantly go over their minutes, but I’m not a big talker so it was never a problem with me.

However, just for fun, I decided to check out the bill online and see how many minutes I was on the phone last month. I got a good chuckle out of what I found.

• Anytime Minutes (shared): 182
  • Meghann Anderson Used: 42
  • Any Mobile, Anytime: 320
  • Night & Weekend: 10
  • Text Messages: 282
  • Picture Text: 12

Between the FOUR of us we only managed to use 182 minutes TOTAL out of 3000 minutes! 182 minutes? HA!

Also, my night and weekend minutes begin at 7:00 pm. Apparently I don’t like talking on the phone at night?

I would LOVE to find a phone bill from when I was in college and compare and contrast the minutes I was using at the time. I’m sure the numbers would be a lot different.

How many minutes do you use on the month with your cellphone? Are you constantly going over or always WAY under?

1 dailygoods June 24, 2010 at 7:32 am

yay you know you’ve always still got it girl. you’re a running machine! as for cell phone………im not sure how many minutes, but i text like it’s nobody’s business now ha.

2 Lauren @ eater not a runner June 24, 2010 at 7:37 am

Awesome job on the run! I’ve taken a few weeks off and hope I can get back into it too!

3 Anna June 24, 2010 at 7:40 am

I actually use a lot of minutes…but I live in Pennsylvania, and everyone else in my life lives elsewhere, so I have to catch up pretty regularly to keep sane!

Great job on the run!!! I can’t wait following along with your training…your running is always such an inspiration.

4 Megan@EatScrapRun June 24, 2010 at 7:41 am

5 miles at a 9:00 minute pace would be like a dream come true for me ๐Ÿ™‚ I am slow, but that’s ok, I am used to it ๐Ÿ™‚ Great job on your run and I can’t wait to follow your training.

5 land animal June 24, 2010 at 7:46 am

hot damn! those are some great mile times! you are pretty much the man right now!

6 jennyinnewyork June 24, 2010 at 7:54 am

Congrats on the run! It’s a confidence booster for sure. Can’t wait to see how the training unfolds over the next few months

7 Edible Amy June 24, 2010 at 7:57 am

I’m always WAY under my minutes! I’m not much of a phone talker myself. Great job on your run! Every milestone no matter how big or small counts!

8 Jenna June 24, 2010 at 7:57 am

Haha! My sisters and I do lots of texting so our bill is quite different and my mom had to get us unlimiting texting!
Jenna

9 Lindsay June 24, 2010 at 8:05 am

We had the the same exact breakfast today! Cereal + nut butter + berries + yogurt=bliss. I love a good cereal mess in the summer. Oatmeal just doesn’t sound appetizing in the slightest. Cold breakfasts are a must!

10 Julie @ Pickley Pear June 24, 2010 at 8:12 am

Way to go on the run pace! I’m having trouble getting back into the groove this year with pace and consistency.

LOL! That’s funny about the cell phone bill. I rarely talk on my phone either. Texts are probably high. Let me see…
I have AT&T: 11 days left in the billing cycle.

281 of 450 anytime minutes used.

(I have the lowest plan cause I never talk. 450 anytime minutes and I rarely use them. May I add…I have 1790 rollover minutes accumulated!)

Night & Weekend Minutes: 41 out of 5000 used.

184 FREE mobile to mobile minutes used.

586 text messages!

Case in point.

Have a good second day of training!

11 britchickruns June 24, 2010 at 8:12 am

Oh gosh, all that phone stuff is so confusing -I have no idea how much of anything I use!
Well done on the run, you must be v proud of yourself ๐Ÿ™‚

12 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 24, 2010 at 8:17 am

I don’t have a cell phone and I like it that way.

13 Alison June 24, 2010 at 8:17 am

Congrats on a great run this morning. It’s good to celebrate small victories like that.
I use on average 10 minutes a month on my cell phone. That’s pretty lame, right?
I basically use my phone for emergencies and to see what time it is.
Obviously I don’t like to talk on the phone very much.
Have a good day!

14 Tobi June 24, 2010 at 8:37 am

Great job on your 5 miles in 45 minutes!!
As for the cell phone, I am always under and always have rollover minutes……..I think I have turned the talking minutes into texts……thanks goodness for unlimited texting!!!

15 Diana@mymarblerye June 24, 2010 at 8:39 am

Great job on your run and good luck on your Chicago training! You motivate many readers out there so be proud! Now that I’m older I don’t use as many minutes but I must have unlimited texts!

16 Liz June 24, 2010 at 8:42 am

Thats too funny Meghann about the phonne minutes. Do you have a home phone that you chat to Derek/your family/etc. on? or do you just talk to everyone online?

17 Evelyn June 24, 2010 at 8:43 am

Haha!! I rarely use my minutes as well but probably more than 42 daytime minutes per month. So weird how that happens, eh? I love my unlimited texting though. I text when I’m working out at the gym and I’m getting bored : P

18 luckytastebuds June 24, 2010 at 8:44 am

Hi meghann!! I was wondering if you ever received the Food for thought preserves you won! ๐Ÿ™‚ Just wanna make sure you have it!!

19 missyrayn June 24, 2010 at 8:47 am

I have unlimited text and do so much texting. Hunni and I have 700 shared and we usually only use between 300 and 400. I have never gone over because I don’t really like talking on the phone and those I do talk to have Verizon so it is free.

20 HappyWhenNotHungry June 24, 2010 at 8:47 am

I have a ton of rollover minutes which is nice b/c I never go over my plan! Kudos on your 9:00/mile run this morning. It doesn’t sound fast, but for someone who ran a 10:00/mile marathon, 9:00/mile is def fast! Keep up the good running!

21 Mellissa June 24, 2010 at 8:55 am

I use the data and texts but hardly any minutes, on average maybe 200 and that’s because my husband and I are not on the same plan or company and my parents live out of state.

22 Brittany June 24, 2010 at 8:57 am

Glad to see you still have it miss speed demon!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Because I use Verizon and almost everyone I call is “in”- meaning I can call them without using minutes, I barely use any of my actual minutes. I have the smallest plan and still only use about 5-10 percent.

23 Courtney June 24, 2010 at 8:59 am

When I had verizon and was paying about $90/month I used to always go over my 450 minutes, mainly because I live about 800 miles from home. However, I recently switched to metro (no contract/no thrills but good service) for unlimited minutes, texts, internet for $40/month. It’s been a great money saver and I never have to worry about my bill, it’s always the same.

Congrats on your pace! When I started running I started at a 12min/mile but eventually got down to 9min/mile. A couple weeks ago I got IT Band syndrome and I haven’t run since. I am hoping when I start again my pace will still be decent. Not running=no fun.

24 project55statusongoing June 24, 2010 at 9:04 am

I’m exactly the same with my phone – in college I used to go over all the time or have to watch the length of calls for the last week of every month but now I use maybe 20 of my 400 minutes?

Although every couple of months my best friend and I do a blow-out 2 hour conversation, which is about the only reason I even keep the 400 minute plan.

I too wish I could do even one 9 minute mile but Courtney’s and others comments that they’ve been able to get down there from the 12 min/mile mark is really inspiring! One day!

– CJ

25 Isis (TheRunningCouple) June 24, 2010 at 9:11 am

Have you ever used Greek yogurt? At first I couldn’t take the texture and taste but then I added Honey and fresh fruit and it was amazing.

As for the cell phone minutes, my husband and I both have unlimited text and a lot of minutes. I have definitely started to text more and therefore my talking minutes have gone down. Also, I do a lot more emailing and social media… But I commend you for not being attached to your phone! ๐Ÿ™‚

26 megan June 24, 2010 at 9:12 am

I don’t talk much on my phone, but I probably send over 150 texts a day…

27 Marissa June 24, 2010 at 9:14 am

I have this strange and bizarre fear of talking on the phone, so I always have tons of minutes left! Obviously, hahah. But texts on the other hand… that’s another story (I’m a typical teenage girl when it comes to texting!)

28 laura dishes June 24, 2010 at 9:21 am

Are you on Verizon? And are most of your friends/bf on Verizon? I’ve noticed that my (used) minutes have gone up now that a lot of my friends have iPhones and use AT&T. I have 250 texts/month and I cut it close almost every month!

29 Leah June 24, 2010 at 9:25 am

I’m always way under on my minutes b/c I have Verizon and most of my family does too and you talk to Verizon peeps for free so it works out nicely. My husband and I have the lowest plan and don’t even come close to it. Now texting and data? That’s a different story. But that’s unlimited so we’re good! ๐Ÿ˜€

30 newleafeats June 24, 2010 at 9:34 am

I’m still on my parents’ plan too!

My parents turned off our text capabilities since we can’t afford to pay for any text messages, so I just talk on it. In the past we got REAL close to going over, and I’m not sure how! My mom was pretty much the only one to really call and chat, and she’s on the same plan, so it’s free mobile-to-mobile. *sigh*

31 Katherine: What About Summer? June 24, 2010 at 9:40 am

We reduced our bill big time by cutting back on minutes. I text a lot more than I talk, but really utilize the internet mostly.

Do you have a home line in addition to your cell?

32 runningwithsass June 24, 2010 at 9:43 am

ok totally making me feel like a loser, no way I can hold that pace for 5 miles!

33 Emily June 24, 2010 at 9:43 am

I’m still on my family’s phone plan, too. It costs $10 a month for my line, and most of my calls are free (evenings, weekends, other numbers on the same plan, etc). In fact, my family of four has never used up our minutes, ever. Glad to hear there are others like me!

34 Emily G. June 24, 2010 at 9:46 am

I also hate talking on the phone. I get enough of that at work. I normally only use about 200 minutes and the majority of that is talking to my dad every week for about 30 minutes each…or when my mom calls. Text messages are another thing..because I don’t talk I stay in contact with people via text. I only had about 500 texts on my plan and ended up running my bill up $100 bc of texts..I now have unlimited text and it’s nothing for me to have 3000+ texts a month.

35 ActiveEggplant June 24, 2010 at 10:23 am

My husband and I share 450 minutes a month – we’re lucky if we hit 90 minutes between the both of us! We do use all of our 250 texts each month though ๐Ÿ™‚

Way go to on the run – good to know you still have it in you after the off-season and so exciting to get faster week after week!

36 Sarah for Real June 24, 2010 at 10:25 am

My husband and I are always way under our minutes. We mostly just talk to each other ๐Ÿ˜€

37 Erika June 24, 2010 at 10:29 am

I have a gazillion minutes because we have free cell phone to cell phone minutes….so I barely make a dent in any of my monthly minutes let alone my roll-over minutes. we don’t have a land line for this very reason…..so when folks call from out of state or friends just want to chat, I have no issues chatting for an hour or two…..love not fretting about my minutes ๐Ÿ™‚

As for the pace, great job…I’d love to get to where I can run a 9 minute mile consistently…right now I jog an 10.30 consistently….but I can do that for 9-13 miles…..I know I can get a faster mile in if I want to, but I find I’m not able to keep it there for more than that…hopefully as I start being more consistent I can get there ๐Ÿ™‚

38 DiningAndDishing June 24, 2010 at 10:48 am

I hardly talk on the phone at all…say a few long convos with far away friends/my parents a week. But I text SO MUCH!! Last weekend I had 150 texts in 3 days. YIKES!!

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

39 Kelly June 24, 2010 at 11:39 am

I’m never over my minutes, the only person I talk to on the phone is my bf, gotta love that long distance. but if I didn’t have a blackberry with bbm or unlimited texting I would go over every single month.

40 Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 24, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Talk on my cell phone? lol When my phone actually rings I don’t register that it is my phone ringing because I almost never talk on my cell phone. I’m a txting type person. BBM, Txt msg, FB, Twitter, it’s terrible, so my minutes are low. My txt msgs are high thank god for unlimited txting lol.

41 sarah June 24, 2010 at 12:23 pm

i am still on my family plan too and i am 25:) no shame! i doubt i use many minutes at all b/c the people i talk to are my family or my bf who also has the same phone company so pretty sure those are free…text/bbm/and internet use is a different story…

good job on the pace! i want to get under 9 minute miles for a long distance!

42 Heather @ Junk Food Break Up June 24, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I was just on my Mom’s plan until 2 years ago, and the only reason I switched was b/c I moved out of state and wanted a number in my new area code. No shame in being on the family plan at all.

And congrats on keeping up with your desired pace, that’s awesome!

43 emily June 24, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I have no idea how many minutes I use, but I will admit that my husband and I are both on my parents’ plan!

44 Erika June 24, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Isn’t fun to prove yourself wrong sometimes?! I am not a big phone talker or texter. My husband, on the other hand, is. He was constantly putting us over our minutes so we extended our plan. I’m not even sure how many minutes we get or use, but when the bill comes his is at least 6 pages long and mine is like half a page.

45 mishmashcat June 24, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Oh man, I wish that were the case with my minutes! I regularly use like 1100 voice minutes a month and recently switched to unlimited, so now it doesn’t even tell me on AT&T exactly how many I’ve used! I also text a ton (only 200 this month, which seems low) for work and personal stuff. Of course this is just because I work for myself, essentially, and spend a lot of time on the phone with clients. Sometimes I wish I wasn’t on the phone that much!

Also, I remember telling a cell phone sales guy about 3 years ago “I don’t need unlimited texts, I don’t really do that very much.” Oh, how things have changed!

46 Alisha June 24, 2010 at 3:43 pm

It’s nice to hear about someone else being on their parent’s cell plan and not a teenager!

My mom works for a university and gets amazing phone discounts through their partnership with Verizon, but in order to take advantage of those discounts (like early upgrades), you have to be on the same plan and the bill has to be in her name. Although it makes me feel like a loserface when talking with friends, I can upgrade my phone whenever w/o having to worry about the early upgrade fees and there’s just a flat rate for unlimited data usage for smartphones instead of per phone. So basically the price my mom pays for 4 phones (3 Blackberrys & 1 boring flip for my dad) is just a bit over what I would pay for my own plan through them. Can’t beat it, and no, I don’t pay her my share of my phone because my parents refuse to take money from their kids for things like that.

I reallllly want an iPhone, but I had AT&T service years ago and it was horrible! I just can’t bring myself to switch, so I hope the iPhone comes to Verizon ASAP.

47 Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 24, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I like that polka dot bowl. ๐Ÿ™‚

I use very little cell phone minutes, hardly any at all!

Jenn

48 Lisa @ bakebikeblog June 24, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Well done on a speedy run!
hmm I am always UNDER!!! I am hopeless when it comes to my mobile – half the time it is not even switched on!

49 Kelly June 24, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Hey small victories add up! AWESOME GIRL!

50 stephanie June 24, 2010 at 5:56 pm

i don’t use any of my minutes, but texts are a WHOLE other story! i would blame it on the middle schoolers in my life, but really just like texting! and congrats on the run times!

51 Kelly June 24, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Awesome job on the run! I have 900 minute and unlimited text. I use my phone for work and personal, but seem to never make a dent in the number. So many of my friends and family are on the same network. Texting on the other hand, I’m glad I have unlimited.

52 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 24, 2010 at 9:53 pm

That bowl totally makes me think Christmas. The berries… not so much! : )

I share my phone plan with my dad and we are always WAY WAY under. Text messaging is another story.

53 Emilyeatsclean June 25, 2010 at 8:51 am

I’m on an unlimited cell phone plan……I use a lot of minutes and text messages!

54 shelly June 25, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I am usually under… I hate calling people so most of my phone is used for blackberry messenger and texting.