more ยป" />

Double Date

by Meghann on June 18, 2010

An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

Too bad the same isn’t true for dentists.

Bad news is I had to return to the dentist this afternoon for the fourth time in a two month period.

Good news is she was able to polish my teeth. No more yellow stains! Woo hoo! I once again have a smile I can be proud of. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m still sticking with my decision not to return to this particular dentist again. I’ve only been seeing her for a couple of months and she has already managed to disappoint me on multiple occasions. Not cool. I’m going to find a dentist that doesn’t make me angry every time I visit their office. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Good thing I got my pearly whites back before this evening – I had a very important double date to partake in!

IMG_9043.JPG  IMG_9042.JPG

My twin bro and his girlfriend Adena are staying with me for the weekend. They’re both still on break from med school and taking a mini-vacation in the area.

I decided to take them to one of my favorite Orlando hot spots (Park Ave in Winter Park) and try out a restaurant I’ve been meaning to give a shot (Spice).

Thanks to an afternoon thunderstorm, we had the perfect weather for dining al fresco.

An order of bruschetta was shared by the table.

I had one piece

Plus a pumpernickel roll.

I was really feeling a summer salad for dinner. The Caprese Salad in particular sounded perfectly fresh and seasonal.

I forgot how much I missed fresh basil, it just brings a whole other level of freshness to any dish. ๐Ÿ™‚

I ate about 3/4 of the salad and pawned off the rest on Derek. I also ate half of a side of sweet potato fries.

The plan was to hit up The Wine Room for some drinks after dinner, but Adena was ID-less so we went with plan B.

Buying bottle of wine from Publix is the same as buying wine by the ounce from The Wine Room, right? ๐Ÿ˜‰

1.5 liters of wine for $9.95? Check!

Chocowine?

ewww…. no thank you

Look what I found at the check outline!!!

The 4 of us split the bag.

My thoughts? Yum! It was like a whopper – only lighter and crispier. They’re no peanut butter M&Ms but I wouldn’t turn them away if offered. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I really, really wanted a glass of wine, but I was warned by the dentist to stay away from dark liquids such as tea, coffee, and red wine for 24 hours. ๐Ÿ™

I had a beer instead. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Josh and Adena brought over some Oberon Ales, which are brewed near Adena’s hometown in Michigan.

This was a much lighter beer than I am used to drinking. I prefer a bolder, darker beer, but this one was nice and fruity and a fun change from my usual.

We ended the evening with Sequence.

We tied 1-1. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Time for bed! We have an EARLY morning planned for tomorrow.

I’ll give you a hint. ๐Ÿ˜‰

harry-potter-order-of-the-phoenix.jpg

Good Night!

1 bee June 18, 2010 at 11:46 pm

the chocowine is actually pretty good; tasty in hot chocolate :]

2 Lea June 18, 2010 at 11:51 pm

You’re going to Universal Studios!!!!! Omg jealous!!!! I want to see Harry Potter land!

3 Michele June 18, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Michigan represent! I’m not sure if they have it down there, but try Bell’s Two Hearted ale if you get the chance. You might like it.

4 mal June 18, 2010 at 11:53 pm

i’ve been meaning to try those pretzel m and m’s for quite some time now. tomorrow shall be the day!

5 Kelocity June 18, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Did you make that sequence board? If you did, I’m impressed. I love that game.

6 spabettie June 18, 2010 at 11:57 pm

CUTE DRESS! ๐Ÿ™‚

I love fresh basil, you’re right, it makes everything better… your caprese looked beautiful – YUM.

I’m going to have to look into Sequence… looks like a game I’d really like…

7 andi June 19, 2010 at 12:00 am

Bell’s is in my hometown, too! well, technically outside, but those are just minor details. ๐Ÿ˜‰ it’s best enjoyed with a slice of orange though. I concur with Michele – Two Hearted is pretty awesome, too.

and yay! Harry Potter land! I’m so, so, so jealous. I’ve never been to Universal, but that might be the ticket to get me there … haha.

8 Julia June 19, 2010 at 12:06 am

This post was full of familiar things! I tried the ChocoVine at Christmas – I was not a fan…but that’s just me.
I <3 a good Oberon in the summer! and Sequence is definitely one of my favorite board games, except that I always forget to draw another card and end up with fewer cards to use. Makes me miss Michigan and my fiance! Enjoy your weekend!

9 sweetandsweat June 19, 2010 at 12:08 am

YOU’RE GOING TO THE NEW HARRY POTTER THEME PARK!? I’m too jealous.

10 Run Sarah June 19, 2010 at 12:16 am

That salad looks so fresh and delicious – especially paired with SP fries ๐Ÿ˜‰

11 Lisa June 19, 2010 at 12:17 am

Sounds like a fun night! I’ve had bad luck with the dentist lately too. Not fun! Hope your experience gets better!

12 Bernadette June 19, 2010 at 12:31 am

I was wondering just today if you decided to buy that dress ( I was shopping with you via twitter that day!)… I’m so glad you did because it is ADORABLE!!

I love the pretzel M&M’s! Just bought a big bag of them for a party I’m having tomorrow…

Have a great weekend!!

13 kaztronomic June 19, 2010 at 1:45 am

I’ve never played sequence before. Is it hard?

Looks like you had a fun and tasty night! ๐Ÿ˜€

14 britchickruns June 19, 2010 at 1:57 am

Looks like a good day (bar the dentist :s) – I have no idea what Sequence is, but it looks like a game I’d love, but would totally suck at!

15 Dawn June 19, 2010 at 2:30 am

I miss Oberon! I used to drink it regularly when I lived in the midwest, but now I live on the West coast and can’t get it ๐Ÿ™ I’m also usually a fan of darker/heavier beers, but for a light summertime beer? Oberon is an excellent choice.

16 chasingcasey June 19, 2010 at 3:40 am

Have you tried the PB and Strawberry M&Ms?! Now THOSE are my favorite ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Allison June 19, 2010 at 6:17 am

Wizarding World of Harry Potter! Have fun! We usually go to Universal in the summer when they offer free passes to teachers, but they have stopped doing anything for us, even discounts. I’m boycotting, but it won’t last long because I LOVE Harry Potter!

Also, how good is Oberon? Isn’t it fantastic? We are from West Michigan, too, and we served Oberon at our wedding. My husband loves craft beers, and Bell’s is probably his favorite brewery.

18 Brittney June 19, 2010 at 7:11 am

Haha! I have actually tried that ChocoVine wine as well. I went to the Hilton Head Wine Fest in March and on my way out I was handed a sampled and bought a bottle! Granted I was pretty tipsy from an afternoon of wine tasting, but I liked it at the time of trying it. We have yet to crack open the bottle I bought though. Waiting for the right time…hehehe.

19 whitinspired June 19, 2010 at 7:15 am

See I think that chocowine sounds yummy! I’m not a fan of red wine, but mixed with chocolate I might be!

20 Jenna June 19, 2010 at 7:32 am

Have fun at the HP ride tomorrow! Ha

21 Rosey Rebecca June 19, 2010 at 7:46 am

Sorry you’ve been having problems with your dentist. I HATE going to the dentist. I don’t really know anyone who doesn’t. I’ve seen that chocowine before–looks gross. Everyone is talking about wine lately. It’s making me crave some at 8 a.m.!

22 Erin June 19, 2010 at 8:12 am

I work at a coffee shop right across from Bell’s! I love seeing Michigan products on blogs from outside of Michigan! I hope you enjoyed your tasty treat from America’s high-five! I have to agree with Andi, you have to throw the orange slice in there to accentuate the crisp fruity taste.

Oh and by the way my mom had me try that chocolate wine you were holding up…..it tasted kind of like vinegary mudslide. I would definitely not suggest it.

23 dianacheung June 19, 2010 at 8:14 am

i hope you made the picture of derek holding up the bottle of wine your new desktop pic. ๐Ÿ™‚

24 rachel June 19, 2010 at 8:29 am

I grew up in MI, too. I love a good Oberon!

25 culturalcravings June 19, 2010 at 8:46 am

I’m so jealous that you’re going to the new Harry Potter theme park! gaaah.

26 Kalli June 19, 2010 at 8:49 am

What a fun night! Your salad looks so tasty ๐Ÿ™‚

27 jennyinnewyork June 19, 2010 at 9:12 am

omg i want to go to harry potter land!! haha Is it okay that I’m dying to go and i’m 21? ๐Ÿ™‚

28 Errign June 19, 2010 at 9:12 am

JEALOUS. I want to go to Harry Potter land!

29 Melissa S. June 19, 2010 at 9:19 am

we knew there was something going on between those two…;)

and i’ve had that chocowine! my coworkers bought it when i was in fl! don’t get it…it tastes like chocolate robatusin (sp?). yuck.

30 Christie June 19, 2010 at 9:21 am

My husband wanted to try the Chocolate wine for a long time so we bought some recently. I thought it was okay — definitely not as bad as I was expecting. I really want to try those pretzel m&m’s!

31 Cassie June 19, 2010 at 9:26 am

I must find me some of those pretzel M&Ms!

32 freshman5k June 19, 2010 at 9:35 am

Oh my gosh, Oberon is made in my hometown. woo!

33 Maddie June 19, 2010 at 10:02 am

OMG!! I’m so jealous you get to go to the Wizarding World!! Gah!! Have fun!! Can’t wait to see pictures!!!

34 Marissa June 19, 2010 at 10:19 am

Are you going to the new Harry Potter theme park?! Ah, lucky!! I wanna go so bad, but we just went to Disney World and Universal and all that a couple years ago…

35 rayshine June 19, 2010 at 10:25 am

HP THEME PARK?! AHH, I am jealous!

36 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com June 19, 2010 at 11:09 am

Glad you agreed about the Pretzel M&Ms being like Whoppers. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve got some of that chocolate wine in my fridge. It basically tastes like a chocolate cocktail, maybe a Mudslide?

37 Courtney June 19, 2010 at 11:11 am

WOW are you going to the new HP amusement park?!?! Fun!! =D

38 Sandy June 19, 2010 at 11:38 am

You should try Dr. Holehouse on 535 winter garden if that is not to far a drive for you. He is the best dentist ever and his staff is so nice. 407-654-1296.

39 Frugal 'n' Fit! June 19, 2010 at 11:53 am

The picture of Derek with the wine is awesome! I think he needed another glass while playing Sequence ๐Ÿ˜‰

40 Kristie June 19, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Yay Oberon and Kalamazoo beers :-D!

41 Emilyeatsclean June 19, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I think I would have been excited about the chocowine! ๐Ÿ™‚ Looks like a fun night!

42 Courtney June 19, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I thought the same thing when I saw the chocowine but it actually taste a lot like Bailey’s. Pretty good.

43 Anne @ the doctor takes a wife June 19, 2010 at 6:26 pm

I LOVE OBERON!! Everyone in Michigan freaks out as soon as it hits summer season for Bells ๐Ÿ™‚ They make the best beer. I miss it down here in TX!!

44 mindy June 19, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Yeah Oberon! It’s definitely my summer drink!

45 Kate June 20, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Oberon! I am in company with the rest of the commenters in that I love Oberon. I did grow up right near Bells though, so I may be biased. You really need to have it from tap and with a slice of orange to get the full experience and true flavor.

46 kelly July 14, 2010 at 9:16 pm