Problem : Solution

by Meghann on June 16, 2010

Problem: I was craving a COLD meal, but also wanted to enjoy my leftover roasted vegetables for lunch today.

Solution: Eat the veggies cold!

Duh!

IMG_0015

Cold roasted vegetables taste almost as good as HOT roasted vegetables. Especially when you serve them atop a bed of spinach with salsa.

IMG_0009

Even more delicious when paired with apple slices and a dollop of Naturally Nutty Honey Cinnamon Peanut Butter (so happy I found the jar at a local health store!)

IMG_0017

My amazing cold lunch. Take that high of 98, but feels like 106!

IMG_0019

Cold snack of cherry tomatoes and cheese stick.

IMG_0003

I haven’t had a cheese stick in years, but for some reason they randomly called out at me at the supermarket the other day. I felt like a kid all over again while peeling the strings away today. πŸ™‚

More jealousy – my parents made it to Canada yesterday!

I’m also jealous that they are wearing long sleeve shirts and pants. πŸ˜‰

Love you Mom and Dad!

P.S. Mom – I’m stealing your new lens when you get home. πŸ˜‰ GREAT PHOTOS!

That is all.

1 Jenny June 16, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I love the Gator shirt in Alberta! Your parents should stop in at Angela’s and say hi!

2 Marn June 16, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Except that Ange lives about 40 hours away from Alberta! πŸ˜‰

3 Evan Thomas June 16, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Come to New England! The weather’s always perfect πŸ™‚

4 britchickruns June 16, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Gah – I now want to go to Canada!!!
I love cold roast veg- they’re easily just as good as hot ones πŸ™‚

5 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 16, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Come to Canada. It’s awesome here!

6 kaztronomic June 16, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Oh, wow! Those photographs are beautiful!

I tried the cold-yet-roasted veggie thing once, and the juxtaposition sort of threw me off. While the idea was awesome, I could barely finish my salad. However, yours looks great! And, with temperatures as high as they are in central FL, I don’t blame you for shunning hot food. I would, too!

7 Beth June 16, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I love leftover roasted veggies cold, too. they are so good!

8 Marilou @ Mostly Healthy June 16, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Canada represent!!!!

Where will their trip lead them next? I feel like watching the travel direct dwarf bwahahah πŸ™‚

9 Amber June 16, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Yay! Tell your parents welcome to my country! Alberta is gorgeous! Are they going to Banff?

Tell them to come over to B.C. and visit the Okanagan – even more gorgeous!!

10 fitandfortysomething June 16, 2010 at 2:22 pm

oh your lunch looks good…..can’t wait to hit mine up. so sorry it is so darn hot. yes steal their lens those photos are gorgeous!

11 Ashley June 16, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I’m in Nova Scotia (Canada) wearing long sleeves and totally jealous of your heat wave… I guess we always want what we don’t have! Maybe just a happy medium would work too!

12 Megan@EatScrapRun June 16, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Those pictures are beautiful! I am also jealous of the long sleeve shirts and pants. I just spent three hours on the beach (I live on Gulf coast of FL) and I can’t seem to cool off! I keep telling myself the heat is better than snow, but sometimes I have a hard time believing it πŸ™‚

13 Sue June 16, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I am in Calgary, a couple of hours north of your mom and dad. You love that they are in pants and long sleeves…we are cranky about it. We have not seen a speck of summer or much of spring around here. I would love just one of your smokin hot days.

I hope they enjoy Canada and probably Waterton National Park.

14 Amanda June 16, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I REALLY wish I was on your parent’s trip right now!!

15 Erin @ Cooking and the City June 16, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Can you/your mom tell us what kind of lens she is using???

16 Sarah for Real June 16, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I’m a cheese stick biter, not a peeler, haha. I’m only in Spokane, Washington but it’s a long sleeves and pants. It’s like another world down there in FL!

17 Kellie June 16, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Your parents are what I strive to be like. I want to raise my family, travel and continue family traditions like they do. They just seem like great people (at least from the pictures!)

18 Andrea June 16, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Your parents are so close to me! They should definitely come over to BC and check out what we have to offer πŸ˜‰

19 christina cadden June 16, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Those veggies look amazing!

20 Leigh June 16, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Just had to comment because I live in Calgary, Alberta….it’s gorgeous here! Where are your parents? Banff, Lake Louise or Jasper are my guesses!

21 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 16, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I hope your parents are enjoying their trip to my homeland! πŸ˜€

22 Alison June 16, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I like cold roasted veggies, too.
Those pictures of Canada are beautiful. It looks like your parents are having a great time.

23 Deb Russell June 16, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Hey Meghann, i’ve been reading your blog forever and absolutely love it! You’ve given me so many ideas on recipes, it’s craziness! Anyhow, I finally had to comment when I read your parents are here…because that’s where I live! In Calgary, Alberta! I feel bad for them right now though cuz with the exception of this weekend past, our weather right now is just horrible…cold and rain!! But I guess if it’s 106 down there maybe they are enjoying a break from the heat!

24 Lisa @ bakebikeblog June 16, 2010 at 6:10 pm

oooh I am not the only one that loves cold roast veggies it seems πŸ™‚ Great looking lunch!

25 Kate June 16, 2010 at 6:25 pm

ur veggies look awesome…I adore leftover roasted veggies cold…come to think of it, I like most leftovers cold!

26 hundredtenpounds June 16, 2010 at 6:45 pm

OKAY now I’m jealous too!!

27 Nicole June 16, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Wow! The Alaska photos are awesome.

My family planned a vacation to Orlando in the beginning of July.. I bet it’s going to be so freaking hot down there! I’m not looking forward to the humidity!

28 Katherine: What About Summer? June 16, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Your parents are wonderful; I love a sturdy relationship and a couple who does things together.

Sometimes, cold leftovers are better than hot firsts! good solution there
Katherine

29 Kelly June 16, 2010 at 7:24 pm

I am jealous too…long sleeves…what are those?

30 Jocelyn June 16, 2010 at 7:38 pm

we can always wear pants/long sleeves in canada! lol

31 Becky June 16, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Wow Canada looks beautiful.

Tell your Dad “Go Noles!” though! πŸ˜‰

32 Jessica June 17, 2010 at 8:22 am

Psh.. it’s not the lens making those pics so great.. it’s the scenery!!! Woo Canada!!! πŸ™‚

33 Lyndsay June 17, 2010 at 11:44 am

I’ve been following your blog for quite some time and noticed that your parents made it to Alberta today. Were they in Waterton Lakes National Park? I live about an hour from there and absolutely love it there.

34 Kristilyn (Singer-Songwriter) June 17, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Aww, my province is on your blog! πŸ™‚

We’ve had crappy weather lately, so most days require a sweater. Lucky for me, I have a 10K this weekend and it’s nice to have a cool breeze! I’d much rather that than hot, sticky weather.

Hope your folks have fun!

K

35 Lori June 18, 2010 at 11:24 am

I was born in Alberta and have been living in Texas for 5 years. It is beautiful there but believe me, you get tired of the cold FAST!!! Hope they are enjoying Canada!!