Back to Setting Alarms

by Meghann on June 14, 2010

It’s Monday. πŸ™

My vacation flew by way too fast. I guess it’s time to get back to reality now?

For the first time 10 days (a new record) my alarm was buzzing at 5:30 this morning. My body was not happy with that and the snooze button was pressed once or twice. πŸ˜‰

Eventually I did make it out of bed and conquered a painfully slow 4 miles. How the heck was it so hot so early? The combination of heat and humidity dropped my normal pace by almost a full minute per mile! I guess that’s why there are 0 races in Central Florida in the summer time. πŸ™‚

Check out the awesome shirt I was sportin’ on my run.

(Just ignore the ridiculously overflowing countertop)

IMG_9039

That adorable blue Northface Technical Tee was the free race shirt from the Northface Marathon Relay goodie bag that I did the other weekend.

The shirt held up amazingly well in this heat. I felt like it was more a second layer of skin rather than a technical tee. I also felt cute and stylish wearing it. Now, I want one in every color. πŸ˜‰ Best free race swag ever in my opinion.

Breakfast

IMG_9836

Cereal

• 1/2 cup Honey Puffs (last of the bag)
  • 1/2 cup Quaker Oatmeal Squares
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Cinnamon H2H
  • Rolled Dates
  • Cherries
  • Blueberries
  • Plain Yogurt
  • β€˜Peanust’ Powder

IMG_9846

I have a new obsession with rolled dates. Just go with it. πŸ˜‰

Something Sad

I opened my work e-mail for the first time in a week and was greeted with a couple hundred new e-mails. Unfortunately the first one that appeared on my screen was from a close co-worker informing me of her mother’s passing yesterday afternoon.

Her mother had been living with multiple sclerosis (MS) since the early 80s and had entered hospice about a month or so ago.

My heart goes out for her and her family. πŸ™

My grandfather passed away from MS back in 2005, so it’s a disease that is close to my heart. The only memories I have of my grandfather are ones with him in his chair silently watching tv. It still breaks my heart that the disease prevented me from knowing the great man my grandfather truly was, rather than the shell of a person the advanced MS had created.

One day I hope to run a marathon in his honor and raise funds for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society so that no other little girl or boy will grow up not knowing how special their grandparents or parents truly are.

1 Becky June 14, 2010 at 10:35 am

My heart breaks for your colleague and her family, and also for you and the loss of your grandfather to MS. It’s a terrible disease. Sending lots of positive vibes your direction.

2 Marilou @ Mostly Healthy June 14, 2010 at 10:38 am

How sad πŸ™ I’m sure she’s gratefull of your support especially since it’s something close to you.

I totally support you on running a race for this πŸ™‚

3 peanutbutterfingers June 14, 2010 at 10:41 am

i’m so sorry for your colleague. i’m sure your support will really mean a lot to her. pouring your heart into training for such a wonderful cause is commendable. i hope your day looks up from here, meghann. πŸ™‚

4 runningaroundnormal June 14, 2010 at 10:42 am

MS is very close to my heart, too. One of my clients has it, although it’s not advanced.
Hope you have ease getting back to the grind.

5 aimee June 14, 2010 at 10:42 am

You should look into doing an MS150 someday. It is an awesome bike ride for MS. I have rode it twice in Pennsylvania, but they have them all over the country.

6 Lauren June 14, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I just finished the MS150 here in Minnesota yesterday for my second year! They’re a LOT of fun!

7 Julz June 14, 2010 at 10:51 am

I was hoping to run a race while I’m in Orlando later this month, but I couldn’t find any. I guess it’s a good thing!

8 Quirky Jessi June 14, 2010 at 11:05 am

I really love that you want to devote a race to such a great cause and all the great people who many of us will never really know. πŸ™ <3

9 Amy @ Second City Randomness June 14, 2010 at 11:15 am

Your bathroom sink looks exactly like mine- no worries. Except for when people come over- then I shove it all in the cabinet underneath… it’s a mess under there, too… :p

10 Sweet Cheeks June 14, 2010 at 11:30 am

sorry you had to go back to work today. At least you lived up your vaca to the fullest! πŸ˜€

Love the new running shirt!

11 ActiveEggplant June 14, 2010 at 11:37 am

One of my best friends was diagnosed with MS about 2 years ago – it amazes me how many people live with this disease & what a debilitating illness it becomes. My heart goes out to everyone effected by MS.

I’m with you on the sudden HEAT in FL. I live in Bradenton & it seems like we went straight from winter to SUMMER with no mild weather in between! The heat & humidity this year have hit me like a ton of bricks! (But I guess I can’t complain – better than the 60* weather my mother is having up in PA!)

12 lauren l. June 14, 2010 at 11:54 am

The end of your post brought tears to my eyes this morning. My grandfather suffered a stroke a couple of years ago that left him almost fully functioning – except he lost all ability to communicate – he has aphasia. The description of your grandfather being like a “shell” hit very close to home. I had never thought about raising money for stroke research when I run, but when I tackle a marathon in the near future, I think I will do that. Thanks for the inspiration this morning!

13 britchickruns June 14, 2010 at 11:58 am

Oh I’m sorry about your coworker, that’s horrible πŸ™ That last sentence you wrote is so sad!! I really hope you do get to run a marathon in aid of it.
Have a good 1st day back πŸ™‚

14 Katherine: What About Summer? June 14, 2010 at 12:11 pm

MS is a terrible disease and I am sorry for your friend. I try to do races to benefit good causes and I know that there are a lot to fun MS research etc

15 Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 14, 2010 at 12:18 pm

My uncle who married my mothers sister has been suffering from MS for as long as I can remember. I am really starting to see a lot of deterioration in his mobilit. Thankfully his sense of humor and personality are still in tact and he’s never one to keep his mouth shut lol. I always felt so special when I participated in the MS walks through elementary school. I knew I was helping him when I did those walks. Sad about your grandfather and your coworkers mom.

16 Anon June 14, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I should not have read the comments…
My boyfriend has MS. I am sitting at work in tears over these sad personal stories. Heartbreaking.

17 fitandfortysomething June 14, 2010 at 12:40 pm

so sad about the email….life is so short.
what a great shirt you got and what motivation girl-it would have been hard to get up for sure πŸ™‚

18 dianacheung June 14, 2010 at 12:41 pm

ms is such a debilating disease. πŸ™ I hope your day feels better and thanks for including a link to the MS Society. Hopefully there are enough funds and research one day to help fight this disease.

19 Sana June 14, 2010 at 1:11 pm

O0o0o I hope my first race has a great t-shirt!

20 Andrea of Care to Eat June 14, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I have a co-worker who’s husband died of MS a few years ago. That disease breaks my heart. I’ve done an MS bike ride before and they are very well organized events. If you’re ever looking to do a bike challenge, signing up for an MS bike ride is the way to go.

21 dorrybird June 14, 2010 at 1:21 pm

So sorry for your co-worker’s loss. MS affects 2 people who are very close to me and I hope there is progress in treatment. Thanks for this post – I think MS is often overlooked as a disease that needs more funding for research. I’m compelled to go look for ways to help right now!

22 meighan June 14, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Meghann,

I have an aunt that has MS. She was diagnosed over 10 years ago. I just completed a Mud Run on Saturday to benefit MS.

My thoughts and prayers to your co-workers family.

23 J. June 14, 2010 at 2:19 pm

i know the pain of watching someone live with ms. my “special guy friend” has been living with it since he was 19. over 10 years now. he rides 100+ mile bike ms events years cause he rocks and won’t let his body stop him and won’t complain no matter how he’s hurting!

i ran a half marathon for the ms society last year. you don’t have to wait until an officially sponsored event. you can make your event an ms event! just contact your local chapter and have them send you fundraising material.

24 megabrooke June 14, 2010 at 2:21 pm

i think it would be great to do a race in honor of a cause that’s close to your heart.

my boyfriend was diagnosed with MS about eight months ago. no one person’s experience is the same with this illness. he has been doing awesome. we run together and just completed a half a few weeks ago. recently he’s had another flare up. it’s just one of those things where you never know what the next day will bring. it can be tough, but his attitude is amazing.

anon- you commented up there– feel free to email me if you ever want to chat about your experience since it sounds like we’re in a similar boat πŸ™‚
megabrooke @ gmail

25 Katey June 14, 2010 at 3:00 pm

My dad has ms I would deft donate money for you to run

26 Rachel June 14, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I’ll be keeping your coworker in my prayers. MS is such a miserable disease. My dad was diagnosed with MS 3 years ago, and it’s a daily battle for him.

“There will come a day when you can’t do this. Today is not that day.” Sadly, MS makes it ‘that day’ for too many active people in this world. I, too, would love to run a race to raise some money for MS research. Another option is MS bike rides. They hold them in most states throughout the spring to fall. If you interested in a bike race, check it out!

27 Heather Rose June 14, 2010 at 4:13 pm

How sad πŸ™ So sorry to hear this news, but I think your idea of running to raise money for MS research is a very fitting tribute!

After my Dad died from a heart attack I always try to donate what I can to heart disease research…I guess that’s another good reason that I’m trying to live a healthier lifestyle as well, so that I don’t have to live with the limitations my Dad did from his heart disease.

28 jenny in new york June 14, 2010 at 6:12 pm

That’s so sad πŸ™ my mother’s best friend from high school was diagnosed with MS about..15 years ago? it has been heartbreaking for my mother to watch the disease progress. i’d love to do a run for it too, along with a TON of other associations that fight these terrible diseases!

29 Valerie June 14, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Meghann, thank you for acknowledging the bit on MS at the end of your post today. it’s such a scary disease that is so often forgotten and not endorsed or recognized like other (more common) diseases. My dad has been suffering from MS for 12+ years and it’s so unsettling to know that at any time his disease could get worse and take his life. Thank you again!

30 Mary June 14, 2010 at 7:52 pm

My condolances to you and your colleague. My ex boyfriend who I dated for four years, his father has MS and is currently struggling and at 48 needs to retire from his job as a correctional officer. As a nurse myself, I know how severe this disease can be. I think it’d be amazing for you to run a marathon for the MS society for those who have MS that would want to run a marathon but cannot.

31 anon June 14, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I commented earlier about my boyfriend having MS —

You don’t die *from* MS, right? (Yes, I will frantically google as soon as I finish posting.) People with MS suffer, but it is my understanding that the actual cause of death is always something else.

32 Meghann June 14, 2010 at 8:51 pm

It’s a debilitating disease that slowly breaks your body down. My Grandfather was diagnosed with MS in the late 70s and only just passed in 2005. He lived to a rightful age of 85. However, the last time he walked was at my parent’s wedding in 1982 and his mind and speech abilities started fading when I was a little girl.

33 FoodCents June 14, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Anon: The issue you bring up “if someone dies from MS” is a good point & one that can be seen as right and wrong. As someone who lives this disease, it is something I asked one of Neuro’s not too long ago. His explanation basically said that people won’t die directly from the disease, but can die from complications related to MS. I don’t think that the answer is a black or white one, rather it falls into more of a “grey” area, if you will….

34 cookinfanatic June 14, 2010 at 9:34 pm

sorry to hear about your loss. my father was diagnosed with MS over 15 years ago, although doctors say he’s basically a walking miracle and you could never tell from looking at him that he had the disease. he always lived such a healthy lifestyle (food & exercise) and continues to do so (he even lifts weights!) which is why that is so important to me too.

35 Emilyeatsclean June 14, 2010 at 9:36 pm

As an occupational therapist, I’ve seen the devestation of MS on people. Sympathy to your co-worker and her family. Congrats on getting out of bed this morning after the extended vaca away from the alarm!