more ยป" />

My Afternoon with the Kiddos

by Meghann on June 13, 2010

I’ll take 3 adorable kids to go please. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Actually I’ll take 4.

No, make that 5.

err.. 6?

Basically I would like as many kids as my body and financial situation will allow. ๐Ÿ™‚ Only not now. Soon, though. Got that Derek? HA!

Just Kidding!

Spending the afternoon with my cousin Jessica and her three adorable munchkins reminded me how much I LOVED growing up with so many siblings. Sure we bickered and weren’t always friendly, but we always had each other’s back and still do today. I couldn’t imagine having kids and not giving them that same loving atmosphere. Siblings rock! ๐Ÿ™‚

Speaking of siblings.. Hi Kelly! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jessica is my first cousin from my Mom’s side (our Moms are identical twins) and is currently in town on vacation with the little ones in tow.

Jessica is only 6 months younger than I am, so we were pretty close growing up. She moved away a couple of years ago and I’m sad to say I haven’t seen her since then. In fact, the last time I saw her was the day after I started this blog! (FLASHBACK!)

Since then she’s had another baby and her other two have grown so much. TIme flies by way too fast!

I offered to treat Jessica and the fam for lunch today, but as I mentioned previously, I was stumped where to take them! As much as I LOVE kids, I’m afraid my experience with them and their eating habits is fairly limited. Even as a kid I didn’t know what kids liked. I was always one of those kids that HATED the kids menu and demanded to order off of the adult menu. I was special and I know I drove my parents crazy. ๐Ÿ˜‰

In the end I figured you could not lose with pizza.

Mellow Mushroom it was!

Kelly joined us too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jessica, Kelly, and I shared the field green salad to start with,

My portion.

And I ordered the Tempeh Half Hoagie for lunch.

Amazing as always.

As predicted, the little ones went crazy for the pizza.

Yes! 10 points for cousin Meghann!

After pizza came arcade games.

And bowling!

I couldn’t wait to introduce self serve frozen yogurt to Jason!

I helped him with the first couple and then he went back and just kept piling onto his bowl. I think he liked it. ๐Ÿ™‚

I got my own bowl as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

I swear there’s frozen yogurt under there. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I had a blast hanging out with my cousin and the kids today. It’s a shame they don’t live closer. I would make a killer baby sitter!

After we said our good byes I came back to my own little one – Maddie – and watched every episode of Glee I have on my DVR. I <3 Glee.

My dinner tonight was built around the fresh corn I was craving for some reason or another.

Corn is so good right now. I simply baked the corn still in the husk at 400 degrees for 15 minutes and shaved it straight from the cob onto my plate.

Corn screams bbq to me.

Enter Gardien Beefless Tips that I doused in bbq sauce. ๐Ÿ™‚

Steamed Kale + Apples

Delicious

Cherries for dessert.

Where did that chocolate come from? ๐Ÿ˜‰

I head back to work tomorrow after a whole week off. I am not looking forward to that one little bit. At least I have an 8:00am doctor appointment to stall that moment just a tad. Every minute counts, right?

Good night!

1 Emilyeatsclean June 13, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Out new local Mellow Mushroom doesn’t have arcade games…..bummer! What a fun looking day with family! ๐Ÿ™‚

2 kbwood June 13, 2010 at 8:25 pm

what a FUN DAY with the kids!! i love that you introduced them to froyo- the best!!

I gave you a sout on my last post- u gave me an awesome idea!

3 runnerforever June 13, 2010 at 8:26 pm

I love Mellow Mushroom!

4 Maria @ a healthier Maria June 13, 2010 at 8:28 pm

is that a self-serve frozen yogurt place that also serves cupcakes? That might be the most perfect place that ever existed!

Also, I grew up with lots (4) siblings & loved it as well! It always has (& still does) made things so much more exciting.

5 Lisa @bakebikeblog June 13, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Oh what a fun afternoon!!!!! LOve it!

6 kaztronomic June 13, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I grew up with three siblings, so I know exactly what you mean about the teasing and jostling. We’re all very close now, and I’m thankful for having such a large family.

Apple on kale!? Why does that sound so yummy? What a clever idea. I have a huge bunch of kale that I’m trying to use up, so that might make an appearance in my tummy before long. ๐Ÿ˜€

7 Jenna June 13, 2010 at 8:37 pm

What adorable little kiddies! It looks like you are a natural. ๐Ÿ™‚

I love Gardein Beefless Tips, my favorite Gardein product!

8 sunnytropic June 13, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I am currently obsessed with fresh corn at the moment too! When I was in Florida a few weeks ago I got spoiled by the local stuff but I have been able to find some decent stuff back here in NY. I love summer + fresh produce!

9 Kellie June 13, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I was an only child growing up and that is why I now have three kids. I just wanted them to experience siblings. I love big family holidays and get togethers!

10 Miranda @ MirandasJeans June 13, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I adore spending time with my nieces, I am lucky they are a 10 minute drive away. ๐Ÿ™‚

11 runningaroundnormal June 13, 2010 at 9:33 pm

You look so cute with all those kids! That place sounds like it was a great choice for lunch with them:)

12 Marilou @ Mostly Healthy June 13, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I’m sure you’ll be a great mom .. that serves wierd food to her kids! AH! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kelly and you are so TAN! … I hate you ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 13, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Yikes. Child overload! I don’t know if I could handle that :S

14 Kath June 13, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I got those chocolates at BlogHer TWO years ago and STILL have some!!

15 Katherine: What About Summer? June 13, 2010 at 9:58 pm

the bowl is the size of his face (@ frozen yogurt place) haha he looks very happy.

do you have a tattoo on your foot?
Katherine

16 Lizz June 13, 2010 at 11:05 pm

That sounds like a fun day!

I cut corn off of the cob, too. I like it…just not biting into it. I can’t eat apples whole, either. For some reason I never thought to roast corn! I always boil it or grill it. Roasting would be great for those days when lighting the grill seems like too much of a hassle (or it’s raining)!

17 Sana June 14, 2010 at 12:29 am

Good luck on your day back to work!

18 feerlessfood June 14, 2010 at 1:06 am

I love Mellow Mushroom! I don’t live near one, but I’ve been to the ones at University of Virginia and University of South Carolina…both were awesome!
And I’m reallly craving some corn now…

19 Lea June 14, 2010 at 1:10 am

Jessica varney! I remember her! How do I know her!?! Gymnastics maybe?! Omg it’s driving me nuts!! I didn’t know she had 3 babies!! Wow!! I didn’t know you were related! Wow I’m going to boggle my brain for a while haha

20 Heather Rose June 14, 2010 at 1:21 am

What a fun afternoon! Good luck on your return to work tomorrow!

21 amystartstorun June 14, 2010 at 1:41 am

How cute with the guitar hero! I firmly believe that frozen yogurt will aid in your return to work tomorrow, its a cure-all!

22 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) June 14, 2010 at 4:25 am

cute kids!!! I am still in the stage where I like to play with them and then get to give them back ๐Ÿ™‚ guess I am not QUITE ready to be a mommy…

23 Cassie June 14, 2010 at 5:59 am

I totally agree with you about the kids! They are great and having siblings is a great thing too. As a teacher I feel that kids can be the best form of people ๐Ÿ™‚ Love the pic with the sunglasses – too cute!

24 GirlonRaw June 14, 2010 at 6:57 am

What a fantastic choice you made for you all. Healthy, but fun and child tasty. Those kids suit you ๐Ÿ™‚

25 Lauren (Clean Eats in the Dirty South) June 14, 2010 at 8:58 am

those kids are toooo cute!
and this might sound creepy as heck but i saw Sweet! on food network’s cupcake wars last night ๐Ÿ™‚

26 Kelly June 14, 2010 at 9:56 am

Those are some cute cousins! I couldn’t even imagine having 3 children right now!

27 DiningAndDishing June 14, 2010 at 10:12 am

Oh my goodness…that BABY!! I love her little bald head :).

Glad you had a nice Sunday back at home!

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

28 Heather @ Side of Sneakers June 14, 2010 at 10:14 am

Aww they’re so cute! I definitely definitely want at least more than one kid- I was an only child & I was SO lonely growing up! I still wish I had siblings!

29 Kelly June 14, 2010 at 10:14 am

What cute kiddos!!!

30 Olivia @ Blissful Runner June 14, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Don’t you love having a psudo-sister?! Ok, maybe it’s a bigger deal to us because we are both only children, but my cousin (our moms are identical twins too) and I tell everyone we’re sisters. I mean, we share half our DNA right??

31 Emily June 15, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Love the blog Meghann!

I coincidentally ventured to Mellow Mushroom today and ordered the tempeh half hoagie as well…wow. It was so amazing. I’ve never had tempeh before and it was essential perfection.