That's a lot of groceries

by Meghann on June 12, 2010

This is why grocery shopping on an empty stomach is bad.

Umm… yeah… $95.73 for one person? Trust me this is not a weekly occurrence.

In my defense my fridge was empty and I did just return from a week long vacation where veggies were limited.

I couldn’t walk away from the produce section! Everything looked so beautiful and fresh. God I love summer!! πŸ™‚

The drive from Captiva to Tampa flew by this morning.

It was a quick two hour trip that seemed a lot faster thanks to the new Boggle application I downloaded on my iPad last week. Anyone else out there Boggle freaks like myself? My family is obsessed with the game! It’s a vacation staple that we’ve been playing since as long as I can remember. Our games can get pretty intense.

100_0536.JPG

The photo above is from my 2004 family vacation. The photo below is from the same vacation.

100_0499.JPG

I’m currently growing my hair out to look like that again. I miss my long wavy hair. πŸ™

Anyways… where was I going with that? Oh yeah…

So the boggle game made the trip fly by. πŸ™‚

With all the fishing that was happening last week, I was really craving seafood! Actually, I was really craving crab legs. I’m the weirdo who sees the crabs on the beach and automatically begins daydreaming of how tasty they are covered in butter. Mmm…. Does that make me a freak? Probably.

Unfortunately the seafood place Derek and I stopped at when we got into Tampa didn’t have crab legs. πŸ™

They did have crab cakes and I ordered one atop a salad.

The crab cake was good, but it wasn’t the same as crab legs. Oh well.

Our meal came with muffins.

I had 1.5 mini muffins. ( I shared one with Maddie)

I also stole a couple of Derek’s fries.

Shhh.. don’t tell!

<3 him! πŸ™‚

Tampa – Orlando

This drive went quickly thanks to the mini concert I gave Maddie along the way. Wicked and Spring Awakening soundtracks anyone? πŸ˜‰

Beside seafood, I was also craving pizza all week.

I used a tortilla as my base and added tomato sauce, spinach, eggplant, mushrooms, and feta before baking at 400 for 10 minutes.

Yes, I used raw eggplant. No, the eggplant wasn’t cooked all the way. Yes, I still enjoyed it. No, I would not serve this to another person. Yes, I would make it again the exact same way just because I can.

And as long as we’re scratching things off the list that I was craving on the island you might as well add ice cream to that as well.

Fresh Strawberries + Blueberries + Vanilla Ice Cream + Peanut Butter Powder

It feels good to be home. I also feels good to be home on Saturday and not Sunday. Now, I have a whole day to chill and prep for the full week I have a head of me. Blah. I miss vacation already!

Have a great night everyone!

1 AngelaOSG June 12, 2010 at 9:52 pm

The feeling after a vacay is like the feeling I used to get the night before the first day of school…lol. I felt that way after my FL vacation. It is always a good time to start planning your next trip though! πŸ˜‰

2 caronae June 12, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I always end up with expensive grocery trips after being away for a while! And boggle is my family’s favorite game! we have annual boggle and scrabble tournaments and my aunt used to do professional competitive games. So intense!

Happy Sunday!

3 kaztronomic June 12, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I did the exact same thing after I got back from vacation! Usually for the two of us, we’re in the 45-75$ range total, but we easily spent double that these past two trips. My half of the budget went all to fresh fruit and produce.

Now I’m rushing around trying to eat it all before it goes bad! Hehe.

I’m glad you had a fun trip!

4 clairedille June 12, 2010 at 11:40 pm

I must admit that my boyf and I are both big spenders at the grocery store…it comes from my kombucha habit and tons of organic fruits and veg…but I guess food is something I think is worth spending on! Travel too of course. sounds like you had a great trip but I am sure it is great to be back!

5 Sarah (cocoanutshakes) June 13, 2010 at 12:21 am

I remember you writing about this before, but what kind of PB powder do you use?? It looks so good on ice cream!

6 Jess (Nurse Jess the Blog) June 13, 2010 at 12:22 am

Ha at least you get bang for your buck – that’s a lot of groceries!!

7 Marilou @ Mostly Healthy June 13, 2010 at 12:22 am

I do spend around 100$ per week for 2. I know its too much … but oh well. At least I don’t have a crack addiction… Mehehe

Meals with mini-muffins? How weird ..!

Oh and Ponchos? πŸ˜€

8 Macey June 13, 2010 at 2:05 am

Have you listened to the Avenue Q soundtrack? If you like Spring Awakening I think you’ll like it too. It’s my fav πŸ™‚

9 britchickruns June 13, 2010 at 3:17 am

oooooOh I could so easily spend that much just on myself every week πŸ˜› supermarkets are terrible!! They’re my downfall πŸ˜›
I’m glad you made it back OK πŸ™‚ Have a good sunday!

10 Lauren (Clean Eats in the Dirty South) June 13, 2010 at 8:26 am

i always manage to spend faaaar too much food when i shop. so much food that i can’t find a place for it in my tiny dorm room. but a vegan has to eat something other than beans and rice in the caf! :s
ps boggle is EPIC

11 Erin June 13, 2010 at 8:46 am

The big empty-pantry grocery shop is always shocking. But I love having full cupboards again so it’s worth it! πŸ˜‰

You should have had crabcakes while you were up here in DC. Next time!

12 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 13, 2010 at 9:16 am

I’ve definitely managed to spend that much at the grocery store before. I blame it on nut butters, salmon and berries! πŸ˜›

I love being able to make all the things I’m craving after being away on vacay!

13 Jo June 13, 2010 at 10:13 am

I love summer for many reason, but one the big ones is def. the produces, especially berries right at the moment. It’s so easy to eat healthy in the summer!

14 BethT June 13, 2010 at 10:18 am

I am the Boggle QUEEN! Wish I’d known this when you were in SF, we would have thrown down on the Boggle board…

15 pinkflipflops June 13, 2010 at 10:20 am

question about egglplant.. what does it taste like? i have honestly never had it i don’t think ha.. i have wanted to pick one up at the store but i have no idea what to do with it or if i’d like it!

16 Sarah June 13, 2010 at 10:20 am

I tend to do that at the grocery store, too! No worries; now you just have incentive to eat a TON of produce.

17 Kristen June 13, 2010 at 12:48 pm

The Sex & The City 2 soundtrack is awesome as well! Lot’s of exotic and fast tunes, even downloaded some to my iPod for jogs!

18 missyrayn June 13, 2010 at 1:11 pm

There are some foods that I love and would eat that I wouldn’t serve to someone else. But it’s mind so I can eat it. πŸ™‚

19 Julie @ Pickley Pear June 13, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Do you just love your iPad? Mine comes next week! Glad you made it home safely!

20 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) June 13, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I definitely have spent that much on groceries before, especially when I lived in Boston and would shop at Whole Foods every week. It looks like you got a lot of goodies though!!

21 DiningAndDishing June 13, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I love your hair long like that!! Looks beautiful! πŸ™‚

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

22 Sana June 14, 2010 at 12:27 am

YUM! That watermelon looks soo juicy :)!