more ยป" />

Putting the Computer and Phone Away

by Meghann on June 11, 2010

I love finding random pictures on my camera when I wake up in the morning.

Vacation? What vacation? I’ve got bills to pay! ๐Ÿ™‚

Just kidding!

I’ve actually done pretty good with stepping away from the computer during this trip. I only open the good ole mac when uploading photos and posting to the blog. Besides those times the computer is turned off and left in a corner. Sure I can already tell my e-mails are going to be a pain come Saturday when I return home, but it’s totally worth it. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve also had my phone off for almost the entire trip. It’s so strange to not have my phone attached to my side at all times, but honestly everyone who calls me on a regular basis is already here anyways!

Kelly and I ran our own 5k this morning. We did a quick 3.1 miles around the island then took the dogs out for another half a mile or so walk. I can tell you I’m not going to miss running in this mix of heat, humidity, and sand. This weather actually makes Orlando’s heat and humidity seem bearable at the moment.

I had a bowl of cereal upon my return.

• Honey Nut Cheerios
  • Peanut Butter Pows
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries
  • Almond Butter

I added the almond butter to give my breakfast a little staying power. ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy Friday everyone! Don’t worry the weekend is almost here. Wait a minute. The weekend is when we head home. Stay away weekend! Stay far away!

1 HappyWhenNotHungry June 11, 2010 at 9:18 am

Kudos at turning your phone off and for running in the heat!!! Def two things that are not easy to do ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Marissa June 11, 2010 at 9:34 am

I never bring my computer with me on vacation; they are strictly technology detox times! The way I look at it is that I can use my computer whenever I want, but how often do I get the chance to swim in the ocean or go boating or take a bike ride on the beach?

None of my yogurt breakfast bowls are ever complete without nut butter! Yumm.

3 culturalcravings June 11, 2010 at 9:41 am

I have to be honest…my phone is usually on silent, and far away from me. I hate being tied to it. Being away from the computer? It’s a little bit harder to do, but it’s sooooo nice to unplug.

And I never bring either with me on vacation.

4 missyrayn June 11, 2010 at 9:42 am

Congratulations on unplugging like that. I’m going on vacation next week and I’m hoping to do the same. I want to enjoy my vacation.

5 Frugal 'n' Fit! June 11, 2010 at 9:47 am

Weekends are the best, except when they signal the end of a vacation!

6 britchickruns June 11, 2010 at 9:48 am

I admire you for being able to turn off the technology – I’d totally struggle without my laptop!! Enjoy the last day of your holiday ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Jenny June 11, 2010 at 9:48 am

Enjoy your time off work!

8 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 11, 2010 at 9:58 am

Yeah, the computer has no place on a vacation (except for maybe googling local restaurants or things to do!)

9 Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 11, 2010 at 10:12 am

Putting the comptuer away wouldn’t be a strange experience for me, the phone aka crackberry would be strange. To turn it off for a whole week, not hear it vibrate here and there. Sometimes I hear and feel fantom vibrations thinking my phone is going off when really it isn’t. It’s really kind of sad lol. Clearly I need a crackberry vaca.

10 Kelly June 11, 2010 at 10:16 am

I agree with Miranda, I feel like my phone is constantly in my hand and I’m doing something on it.

11 Julie @ Wearing Mascara June 11, 2010 at 10:25 am

Glad you’re having fun! I’ve been living through you this week, on vacay ๐Ÿ™‚ haha

12 Marilou @ Mostly Healthy June 11, 2010 at 10:27 am

And what is Derek excuse to be on his computer?? ๐Ÿ˜‰

13 runningwithsass June 11, 2010 at 10:32 am

I hate when vacations are over! We are actually headed YOUR way for one, tomorrow! We are going on a disney cruise! But I wish my dogs were coming! :o(

14 Kelly June 11, 2010 at 10:37 am

I am so glad you were able to enjoy your vacation and sorry you have to come home! ๐Ÿ™

15 Meg June 11, 2010 at 11:02 am

You look SO tan, at least you’ll be bringing THAT part of the beach back with ya ๐Ÿ˜‰ Happy Friday, Meghann! Enjoy it ๐Ÿ™‚

16 jennyinnewyork June 11, 2010 at 11:33 am

I love being disconnected on vacations! It’s so refreshing

17 Melissa June 11, 2010 at 11:35 am

I always loved running on the beach as a lifeguard, but the cool new england mornings are nothing like florida mornings! But hey, you can train in the winter without a snowsuit! I am going to be in SoBe in less than a month!

18 dorrybird June 11, 2010 at 11:54 am

I used to be intimidated by your “quick 3.1 miles” but now that I’ve improved my endurance, I can actually relate! Such a good feeling ๐Ÿ™‚

19 theprocessofhealing June 11, 2010 at 12:13 pm

It’s so refreshing to detox yourself from technology a bit…

20 DiningAndDishing June 11, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Disconnecting once in a while is so good for the soul :). Whenever I step away from all the technology for some vacay time I always feel so relaxed. It’s an excellent reminder of why we should all do it more often!

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

21 Katherine: What About Summer? June 11, 2010 at 12:58 pm

phone is the hardest! good for you for taking a step away

22 Kristen June 11, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I totally agree with “disconnecting” from cell phones, Blackberry and computer when on vacation! That’s the best way for me to unwind and relax. I just don’t understand people who answer work email while on vacation!

Beautiful beach pictures BTW!!!