Dogs Rule

by Meghann on June 10, 2010

Can you tell that our dogs pretty much rule our vacation? πŸ™‚

Lunch

Almond Butter + Spinach + Carrot Wrap

Fresh Green Beans + Apple Slices

A nice cool & crisp meal to coincide with this gorgeous HOT day. πŸ™‚

Does your family pets travel with you on vacation?

After having all 3 dogs with us this week I’m starting to consider adopting another puppy. Maddie needs a full time brother or sister, don’t you think? πŸ˜‰

1 Evan Thomas June 10, 2010 at 5:52 pm

I dunno; when the dogs start outnumbering the people in a household, you have to worry about riots and rebellions. They’re cliquey creatures πŸ˜‰

2 Jenny June 10, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Your dogs are awesome! I wish I had a little one:)

3 Amy June 10, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Looks like you are having an awesome vacation!! Getting a second dog was the BEST decision we ever made! We had our beagle MArley for one year then decided she needed a playmate. We decided to get the same type of dog to make the change easy on Marley and becuase we love beagles! We got Mia when MArley turned two. They are completley inseperable!!! They play together nonstop and sleep together each night. They do everything together! It’s great for us because we are super busy and there are days when we don’t have time for walks/playtime. We never feel guilty about it because we know they are constatnly entertaining each other! IT’s great! I love them both so much, I can’t imagine life without them!

4 Ashley June 10, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Definitely Maddie needs a sib! My dogs (standard and toy poodles) do great together and I don’t feel so bad leaving for work since they have each other. Neither of mine are crated while I’m gone either. I think they feel safer and just don’t get into trouble when they are together. I’ve decided I’ll never just have ONE dog again. I’ll always buy them in pairs! Oh and I live by myself and my dogs don’t hold any riots or rebel against me;)

5 Molly @fuelherup June 10, 2010 at 6:11 pm

I love having a second dog! But if Maddie still needs to be crated during the day, I personally wouldn’t get a second dog. However, you’re a great puppy mommy and maybe you could handle it! My dogs are both huge, which plays a role too.

6 runningwithsass June 10, 2010 at 6:14 pm

love the dog pictures! I wish i could take my dogs on vacation! If we went somewhere like where you are I would love to take my dogs!

7 Kelly June 10, 2010 at 6:32 pm

It depends on where we are going if we take our dog or not. More often than not we do not. But we leave him in good hands…with other family members. I think it would break my heart to have to board him at a kennel!

8 dorrybird June 10, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I think dogs are great on all sorts of vacations – beach, lake, ranch, camping, mountains, etc! If only I had one. πŸ˜‰

9 Naomi(onefitfoodie) June 10, 2010 at 6:36 pm

hahah thats so cute!!! i love that wrap too with the AB and veggies πŸ™‚

10 Teresa (www.vinogals.com) June 10, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Love the ocean pictures. I’m so jealous!!

11 gwen June 10, 2010 at 6:43 pm

If Maddie has to be in a crate, then there is no reason to get another dog, then you would have 2 crated all day. If she can be trusted out of the crate, then it would be good company for her. Good Luck, think about it for a while before making any decisions.

12 jennyinnewyork June 10, 2010 at 7:00 pm

We used to put my dog in a kennel because we traveled out of the country and she was a big (70 lb) dog πŸ™‚ miss her

13 bpagano09 June 10, 2010 at 7:06 pm

I got a kitten as a friend to my puppy rottweiler and she LOVES him! They play together all the time and get along awesomely. Plus, kittens are much much easier than puppies!

14 Alisha June 10, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Our dog pretty much always travels with us because so many hotels are pet friendly these days. But we had a bad experience with boarding him a year or so ago where he somehow got a large gash on his leg that they stitched before even calling us. They just kept saying they had no idea how it happened, but it got infected and was just a bad situation all around.

I did, however, learn my lesson to always, always ask what a hotel’s definition of pet friendly is exactly after our horrible experience Memorial Day weekend. We were given a huge list of pet rules after checking in that included that if the dog barked even once and another guest called about the noise, we’d have to leave ASAP w/ no refund AND pay for the other guest’s room as well. Thankfully we were visiting friends and just planning on doing some outlet shopping where dogs were allowed, so it wasn’t a huge deal. It did suck to have to do picnic meals and room service because we were too scared about chancing him barking while gone since we know he usually does if he hears a loud noise outside the door. Le sigh. I was tempted to bring out my b*tchy side and call the front desk to complain about the little kids in the room next door who kept kicking the wall and screaming for hours on end. Noise is noise, you know?

15 brittany June 10, 2010 at 7:11 pm

also isn’t maddie still not potty trained?! I think you should focus on her first.

16 Katherine: What About Summer? June 10, 2010 at 7:35 pm

dogs are so social! they’re like teenage boys though: one can get into trouble on its own, two can get into twice the trouble on their own, but two together can get into triple the trouble

17 theprocessofhealing June 10, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Awwwww you SO SHOULD!!!

18 Ashley June 10, 2010 at 10:34 pm

So jealous! My babies would LOVE that. I wish they could go on a beautiful vacation like that!

19 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com June 11, 2010 at 8:56 am

Looks like fun! We only take our dogs with us when we’re visiting the in-laws because usually it’s too much trouble to take the pups when traveling. I’m not sure that a second puppy is the best idea with your busy schedule, but whatever you decide, I’m sure it will work out. Don’t forget all those middle of the night potty walks, the messes when there’s an accident, the probability of chewing, the cost, etc. Does that help? πŸ˜‰ I’m not one to talk b/c I got a new puppy in January, but there’s two of us all the time and my husband is sort’ve home during the day (sleeping). We hired a REAL dog trainer (instead of PetSmart like with the first dog) and it helped a lot. Maybe someone would give you a deal on dog training if you featured them on the blog. Good luck!

20 PhillyGirlRuns June 11, 2010 at 9:07 am

I definitely recommend getting a second dog. We had Sophie as an “only child” from when she was a baby (9ish weeks) until about 11 months, and then we adopted Cosmo (3 years old). They are SO HAPPY together. They play and wrestle, which burns a TON more of Sophie’s puppy energy (she’s about 13 months now) than we ever could just by playing fetch and taking walks. They’re both crated during the day when we’re out — not sure why the above commenter said anything about Maddie being crate as a reason not to get a second dog…

21 missyrayn June 11, 2010 at 9:34 am

We have two and they keep each other company when we have long days. But they are twice the work.

I love how Maddie is playing with the big dogs πŸ™‚

22 Marissa June 11, 2010 at 9:40 am

This is kinda off-topic, but I just love the spots that Maddie has on her tummy! My Jack has the same thing, actually, he has them all over, but they’re black on his tummy and brown everywhere else! They disappear in winter, though, probably because of the thicker fur?

My advice: don’t get another dog! We got another dog a few years ago, and it was a complete disaster. He made our lives miserable. We actually ended up giving him away to another family because we couldn’t take it anymore. :[

23 peanutbutterfingers June 11, 2010 at 9:53 am

i LOVE all the doggie love you & your family seem to share. it’s wonderful! one day i hope to have a big family w/ billions of doggies. πŸ™‚ i love my little sadie so much! i think my ideal job would be full-time blogger & puppy breeder. πŸ™‚

24 Erin June 11, 2010 at 10:18 am

I think it’s awesome that you were able to bring your dogs on vacation with you. My mom always feels bad that when we take family trips that my dog(s) have to stay home. It’s just that were horribly allergic to cats and we’re always afraid that pet-friendly places will be covered in cat hair.

25 Marilou @ Mostly Healthy June 11, 2010 at 10:41 am

Hmmm … maybe you should wait until you live with Derek? 2 puppies is a lot of work, especially for someone as active as you. πŸ™‚

26 Paula June 11, 2010 at 11:52 am

Loving all the dog photos! I want to take my dogs on a vacation, but my husband isn’t keen on driving long distances with them.

27 j June 12, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I’m sure you are a great dog owner, but you seem to go out of town a lot, having others watch Maddie. While it’d be nice for her to have a pal around, it’s probably not the right time in your life.
And from the sounds of it, Maddie still has some behavior/discipline issues (I think I remember a couple posts where Maddie had been staying with other people, and not-good things happened).
It’d be a wise decision to wait it out, try to get Maddie’s issues under control a bit first, and see if your life calms down, too. Don’t get me wrong, vacations are great — I take them, too, and I have a dog myself. But a lack of consistency and familiarity in a dog’s life can cause way too much anxiety (which then leads to the behavior problems in question).

Good luck!