more ยป" />

Now, this is what I call a vacation. ๐Ÿ™‚

DSCF6361.JPG

DSCF6367.JPG

DSCF6359.JPG

DSCF6376.JPG

DSCF6375.JPG

My Dad and Derek were in charge of dinner tonight. What was on the menu? Fried catfish.

Apparently shirts are not required on vacation?

My plate

Green beans sauteed with olive oil, garlic, and fresh peppers

Carrot fries with ketchup

And three pieces of fried catfish

A Florida Sunset (we don’t get these on the east coast!) ๐Ÿ™‚

I made a fancy smore for dessert with a piece of Mocha Dark Chocolate and graham cracker

And grabbed a Peanut Butter Girl Scout cookie when my sister pulled them from the freezer because I knew they wouldn’t last long – I was right!

Tomorrow’s plans include running kayaking, and biking. This is my kind of vacation. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Time to crash in front of the tv!

One last thing…

My dentist (now, ex-dentist) prescribed a perio(?) rinse at my last cleaning that I’ve been using religiously for the past month. Slowly, but surely my teeth have been turning yellow and icky. Currently it looks like I’ve never seen a toothbrush a day in my life. ๐Ÿ™

I don’t know what to do. I was reviewing photos from this past weekend and was literally in tears at the awful state of my teeth. I’ve since tossed the rinse and have been frantically searching for a new dentist to see as soon as I return. It just sucks that this has put such a damper on my vacation. Now I am going to be worrying about my teeth every time a photo is taken or every time I meet someone new.

The goal for now is to floss and brush after every single meal. Unfortunately I’m stuck on an island with no grocery store, otherwise I would be stocking up on every whitening product the drug store carries.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Please put my worries at ease by telling me everything will be ok! ๐Ÿ™

1 Nicole @ Making Good Choices June 7, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Ugh I love beach vacations!! I know I told you this on twitter, but my husband is going through the same thing. He did call the dentist and she said it would come off when he goes for his next cleaning, so you have hope! Don’t worry. Plus I’m sure it’s the type of thing where only you notice it.

2 Sana June 7, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Good news your teeth looked fine this weekend ( as in I did not notice anything) so no one else will!

Get a new dentist asap!

3 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) June 7, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Don’t let it ruin your vacay!! You can always get them whitened. Plus I didn’t notice anything from the photos you’ve posted. Minor problem. Enjoy the beach. PS Oliver is humongous now!!

4 chasingthenow June 7, 2010 at 9:14 pm

I agree with everyone else. It’s probably just a “I’m noticing it but no one else is” thing.

If you’re only scrapping your dentist because of the side effect you experienced you might rethink it. Obviously it sucks that your teeth have turned, but in the scheme of things, if it helps you out, it’s not a big deal.

5 Stephanie June 7, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I love your white hat! Where is it from! And I wouldnt worry too much about your teeth-we all know you brush and floss ๐Ÿ™‚ . If you want to try something though, I’ve been using Colgate’s New Pro Clinical whitening toothpaste. NO gross whitening taste and I have definitely noticed a difference! Enjoy the beach!

6 Jessie (Bites and Pieces) June 7, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Your vacation looks like a blast so far. From the beach house to that beautiful turquoise water, I am so jealous right now! Enjoy it. ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 7, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Awesome pics! I love the doggie ones ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve never had catfish but it looks really good!

Jenn

8 clairedille June 7, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Sounds like a great vacation so far and day planned tomorrow. I wouldnt stress over the teeth cause it definitely isn’t noticeable in photos…whitening is always an option!

9 sweetandsweat June 7, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I bet if it makes your teeth turn yellow that fast, it will turn white again just as fast when you’re off the rinse. Don’t worry and enjoy your BEAUTIFUL vacation!

10 Stepfanie June 7, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Hey, Meghann. That same thing happened to my boyfriend. He used the same rinse. It looked like he had awful tartar build-up. I think he just stopped using it and it went away.

11 theprocessofhealing June 7, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Awww it looks like you’re having so much fun! And that sunset.. gorgeous!

12 Gwen June 7, 2010 at 9:47 pm

No experience – but I know it will all be okay! Your smile will keep shining through lady!

I will bring some new products on my way to join the Inner Workings fam on vacay – I WISH! Looks so fun ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Doc June 7, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Sad day! I haven’t noticed any problems with your teeth in photos, and I hope you ditch the dentist and move on to someone who understands what is important to you.

14 Diana@mymarblerye June 7, 2010 at 9:50 pm

I’m a pharmacist and teeth staining is a common side effect from peridex rinse. Call your dentist to see if you need to use it for more than a week or so! Tell him about your teeth!

15 runningwithsass June 7, 2010 at 9:55 pm

the dogs look like they are having SO much fun! love it!

16 Jenna June 7, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Have a fun time!

17 Emilyeatsclean June 7, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Ohh I need a beach vacation! You all look like you’re having fun and so do the pups! ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Carrie June 7, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I just have to say I love your blog, i’ve never commented but have been reading for a few months. I’m also a dental hygienist. The perio rinse you have been using is well known for staining teeth. The way to prevent future stain is to make sure you brush and floss THOROUGHLY before each rinse. Also, don’t rinse immediately before you go to bed, rinse a few hours before bed. Unfortunately, the staining probably won’t go away on it’s own. It will need to be polished off at your next dental cleaning. P.S I think Maddie is the cutest dog ever! ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Annie June 7, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Hi Meghann, Im a dental hygiene student and I am very fimiliar with the rinse you were prescribed. One of the side effects is tooth staining (it even happened to me after I got my wisdom teeth out recently) but the benefits definitly outweigh the negatives, and its not a reason to switch dentists (if that is why you switched). You could talk to him about using it at a lesser frequency or seeing if he ha any other options available for you (that is pretty much the only rinse of its kind that works as well as it does). The staining will basically fade over time, I know its frustrating, but a healthy mouth is important.. hope that helps!

20 Bethany June 7, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Is that a Gregory Maguire book that I spy?

21 Katy(Balanced Foodie) June 7, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Uh-oh..did you stay with the dentist we talked about?? ๐Ÿ™ They’re awful!!

22 Alisha June 7, 2010 at 10:37 pm

My brother was given that recently and change in tooth color was listed as a side effect under the ‘call your doctor immediately’ category. His dentist gave it to him because he’s a huge, huge bottled water drinker… he doesn’t even use tap water when cooking. We have different dentists, but mine still gives adults fluoride treatments (with optional flavors, like when I was a kid) for the same reason. I think he’s about ready to chuck his rinse b/c he said it makes his teeth sensitive.

I’ve recently been using Aquafresh Iso-Active whitening toothpaste (the new foaming kind) and it is awesome! I bought it b/c I’m a new, cool product whore and wasn’t looking for a whitening product at all, but people started asking what I was using and I realized they were whiter. Little warning though, the taste of the toothpaste is not good and did take me a long time to get used to it.

23 jenny June 7, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Awww..don’t worry!!!
The pics of you smiling seem great and im sure the yellow will fade!!!!

24 missyrayn June 7, 2010 at 11:11 pm

I hope that you get it fixed quickly but don’t let it effect your vacation.

25 Melissa S. June 7, 2010 at 11:16 pm

ah, i’m sorry about the teeth situation megs. i didn’t even notice and i’m sure as soon as you get home you’ll figure it all out.

hugs and i’m jealous you’re at the beach. i’m in the desert. it’s freak’n hot.

26 dorrybird June 7, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Hi Meghann! Your vacation looks awesome. I’ve had a similar situation with a perio rinse right after I had to have surgery on my gums…but the periodontist told me to be very cautious about how often I used the rinse because it would darken my teeth. Did your dentist give you a warning at all?? I’ve used Crest Whitestrips after my gums healed and I stopped using the rinse…

27 Jenny June 7, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Shirts aren’t required on vacay… and I hope you find a better dentist!

28 runnerforever June 7, 2010 at 11:30 pm

This vacation looks like the life!

29 emily June 7, 2010 at 11:36 pm

I am a dental hygienist and that is a side effect of the peridex or chlorahexidine rinse. I would ask him the reason why he is having you use it. It is a strong rinse, but if you dont have gum disease, u could probably switch to Listerine. I would try a whitening toothpaste for now. That sucks that, that happened! If the toothpaste doesnt work, whitening products will. Good Luck! for now enjoy the vacay:)

30 learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood June 7, 2010 at 11:51 pm

I have struggled with yellowing teeth aswell, but never used any rinses or anything, but I was prescribed by my dentist to use a special toothpaste called Flouridex. It has returned my teeth to their original color and the flouride is helping to make my teeth stronger!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Good Luck and I wish you the best with ur teeth!! ๐Ÿ™‚

31 Marina June 8, 2010 at 12:06 am

Looks like a heavenly vacation to me!
Sun, sea, doggies and books ๐Ÿ™‚
Enjoy it!

32 Mama Pea June 8, 2010 at 1:08 am

Aww, Meghann. I saw your Tweet about this today and felt so bad. Your teeth will be fine. I have no experience, but you can see your dentist and he/she will help you find your solution. What I’m more worried about is you being afraid to smile! You are gorgeous and vibrant, healthy and happy…don’t hold back! I promise, it will all be okay and we all want to see your SMILE!

33 cookingincambridge June 8, 2010 at 1:19 am

First off, your photos are making me SO nostalgic for home. Most the time I’m fine being away and just traveling, but every now and then I get this awful pang for some good ol’ America. Your pictures did that ๐Ÿ˜‰

Second, good luck with the dentist thing. I imagine that’s probably frustrating. Keep your chin up. You’re gorgeous and it’ll work out.

34 Heather Rose June 8, 2010 at 2:03 am

My dentist was just telling me that some rinses now-a-days stain teeth, and unfortunately there is not much that can be done about it besides a dentist cleaning. It’s a conspiracy if you ask me!

I told her I was using Crest Pro Health and she said that has been known to stain along with some others that are popular. Stuck between a rock and a hard place b/c you want to rinse but who wants discolored teeth?!

35 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) June 8, 2010 at 4:27 am

So weird about the dentist! Never had any experience with that ๐Ÿ™ good luck, you look great!

36 Marianne June 8, 2010 at 5:20 am

It is wise not to brush your teeth rigth after you have eaten because then you brush your protecting layer of your teeth. You’d better brush your teeth an half hour after you’ve eaten. I hope you will find a solution to your problem!

37 AmandaK June 8, 2010 at 5:24 am

I’d definitely get a new dentist! All difficulty you had to go through to actually be seen isn’t normal — there’re better ones out there! But enjoy your vacation — from your pictures it looks so beautiful and relaxing!

38 Marisa June 8, 2010 at 5:42 am

I would try some whitening strips BUT don’t use whitening toothpaste or other whitening products for too long…They will slowly strip the enamel from your teeth <–NOT GOOD! Good luck!

39 Julie @ Pickley Pear June 8, 2010 at 7:25 am

Vacations are the best! Enjoy it while it lasts. The fried catfish looks soooo good. Something about fried food made yourself, or at home, is ok ๐Ÿ™‚

40 Kristen June 8, 2010 at 8:39 am

Hey Meghann, I’ve read your blog for a loooong time now and am finally commenting…I looked up the perio rinse and on some website there was reviews for it. They said it was a side effect that is unlisted on the product and Supersmile toothpaste worked really well for them to get rid of the staining…in addition to avoiding red foods and beverages. Hope this helps and, as someone who loves her pearly whites, I feel for ya!

41 wnk505 June 8, 2010 at 8:40 am

your vacation looks great and reminds me of my families beach vacations.

Shirts are never required, there is always tons of food, and lots of family bonding time.

The dogs are precious

42 Julia @ www.britbride.com June 8, 2010 at 8:47 am

Gah! I am green with envy after seeing all your pics. No hols for me till October honeymoon!

Julia

43 Anne P June 8, 2010 at 8:48 am

I totally didn’t notice anything on Sunday. Don’t stress and deal with it when you get back home ๐Ÿ™‚

44 runnerstrials June 8, 2010 at 9:23 am

Your vacation looks divine! I hope you get some much needed R & R.

Weird about the perio rinse. I’m not a dental expert but find it kind of strange that your dentist prescribed it if you don’t have gum disease. Definitely ask him or a pharmacist about your side effects. I hope your pearly whites get back to normal soon ๐Ÿ™‚

45 Sarah June 8, 2010 at 9:40 am

That vacation looks like so much fun and relaxation is going on?
Honestly? I didn’t notice anything off about your teeth in any of your past posts. We are often our own worst critics. I hope you are able to let it go (at least while you can’t do anything about it), relax, and enjoy your fantastic vacation.
Don’t worry, Meghann, we all think you’re beautiful.

46 Ashley June 8, 2010 at 9:41 am

If it is the same rinse I am thinking of, from my understanding, the rinse is only supposed to be used for a week and no longer or else your teeth would turn a different color. But we could be talking about a different rinse. I wouldn’t worry about it. Have a blast on your trip! ๐Ÿ™‚

47 Marissa June 8, 2010 at 9:47 am

Don’t worry about your teeth; its vacation! Your smile is so beautiful and makes your whole face light up; who’s going to notice your teeth? It looks like you’re having an amazing time! Running, kayaking, biking… add in horseback riding and swimming, and you have all my favorite things in the world!

48 ActiveEggplant June 8, 2010 at 9:58 am

I used a rinse like that once (PerioMed to be exact) and one of the “common side effects” was yellowing of the teeth – my dentist told me that straight up when he prescribed it. I used it religiously (well, as directed) and my teeth certainly did yellow a bit, but my gums also improved (that was why it was prescribed to me). Once I stopped using it, my teeth eventually went back to their normal pearly-white status. I wouldn’t switch dentists because of this – I just wouldn’t use the rinse any more if it bothers you. One that i found that keeps my teeth and gums in dentist-approved condition is the new Listerine Tooth Defense (the purple one). It’s GREAT and it doesn’t burn like “regular” Listerine. I’ve been using it now for over a year and my dentist hasn’t tried to re-prescribe the PerioMed that made my teeth yellow.

49 Stephanie June 8, 2010 at 9:58 am

I’ve had that rinse, and I had the same experience. My dentist suggested dipping my toothbrush in it instead of using it as a mouthwash. The stains were taken care of at my next cleaning, but a whitening rinse/toothpaste will probably lessen them for you in the meantime.

50 Kelly June 8, 2010 at 10:14 am

DOn’t let it ruin your vacation! I’m sure it’s not a permanent side effect and it may help your teeth in the long run.

51 jw June 8, 2010 at 11:00 am

i just went back and checked the pics-teeth dont look bad at all, look quite white actually! ๐Ÿ™‚

52 Summer June 8, 2010 at 11:05 am

What is it with dads and whole milk? My dad refuses to drink anything else!

53 susan June 9, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I just wanted to comment b/c I am a pharmacist and I wanted to set your mind at east. Staining while using that rinse is a VERY common side effect. The rinse may cause some tooth discoloration or increase in tartar formation, particularly in areas where stain and tartar usually form. The good news is most times it will go away once you discontinue using it! You might have to see a dentist if the stains are particularly bad. So don’t worry it’s not permanent. So RELAX on your vacation.

54 Danica June 14, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I have found that using an electric toothbrush has made my teeth a lot whiter. Another option is always getting trays made and bleaching. It sounds like you are doing everything right though ๐Ÿ™‚

I always love reading about your amazing family vacations ๐Ÿ˜€