more ยป" />

Exploring Washington DC

by Meghann on June 6, 2010

It’s official – I need to come back to Washington DC ASAP. This trip was way too short. ๐Ÿ™‚

The morning started with a wonderful light breakfast courtesy of Ms. Jacquie.

Jacquie prepared a selection of fresh fruit

Bowls of plain yogurt. (Oikos! ๐Ÿ™‚ )

And even had Great Harvest Scones for Ashley and I to enjoy!

(Check out her photography ‘studio’ ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

I topped my bowl of yogurt with strawberries, cherries, kiwi, fresh apricot, apples, a homemade pomegrante sauce, and about 1/3 of a scone.

This was the perfect summer breakfast for a very hot & humid morning.

Our only plans for the day consisted of a blogger brunch at 11:00am. We took advantage of the extra time and played tourist during the am.

IMG_8848.JPG IMG_8850.JPG

We eventually ended up at the Dupont Farmer’s Market.

This Farmer’s Market put every other farmer’s market I’ve ever attended to shame. there were so many fresh, beautiful vegetables and fruits from local and organic farms. I would kill to live within walking distance of these selections!

IMG_8872.JPG IMG_8875.JPG

IMG_8879.JPG IMG_8883.JPG

Check out the line for fresh local eggs! ๐Ÿ™‚

After a little sampling and drooling we headed to Scion for the brunch.

Scion was recommended by the sweet and beautiful Sarah for brunch and she was spot on with her recommendation. The restaurant was very accommodating for our group of 15 and the food was fabulous. They even had a fruit bar we could nibble on while we waited on our meals.

I had a small plate while chatting away.

For my entree I had a ‘Build Your Own Omelet’ with egg whites, black beans, asparagus, mushrooms, onions, and wheat toast.

The omelet was perfect. I love how they chopped all the veggies and that there were plenty of them. I would say 3/4 of our party ordered omelets and each us were impressed by the amount of veggies. My only complaint was that the feta flavor got lost in the mix, I think next time I would try for a strong cheese or just leave it out completely. ๐Ÿ™‚

As always it was great chatting with such a great group of ladies. Bloggers and blog readers seriously ROCK and never cease to amaze me on how sweet and charming everyone is. A list went around so we could all keep in touch via twitter and blogs. I could always use a dozen or so new friends. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I was really hoping to explore some of the DC memorials a bit more, but we just didn’t have time! However, I did manage to squeeze in a visit to the Lincoln Memorial before it was time to head out of town.

A million THANK YOUS to the wonderful Ashley for being my buddy this weekend (LOVE this girl!) and to Jacquie for being our amazing and gracious host for the day! ๐Ÿ™‚

After a few good byes and some last minute packing, I cabbed it to Virginia where the Lovely Anne P was waiting for me!

I <3 Anne P!! But doesn’t everyone? We’re BFFs from her days in Tampa and it’s always nice to play catch up with a good friend. MAJOR congrats to Anne P for running her FIRST half marathon this morning! Despite the awful heat she rocked it. Obviously. ๐Ÿ˜‰

We chilled in Starbucks for a bit and I ordered an Orange Mango Smoothie (sans the banana) and made good use of my new nifty tumbler Derek got me he other week.

Thanks to Anne P I made it to the airport just in time to discover my flight has been delayed – Bummer. Oh well. What’s 45 minutes in the scheme of life anyways?

Thank goodness for proper tables and WiFi!

On the way to the airport we made a pit stop at Whole Foods where I picked up dinner for the flight.

Check out my future dinner. ๐Ÿ™‚

I also plan on having one of Jacquie’s famous chocolate chip cookies. ๐Ÿ™‚

Looks like my flight is about to board!

I’m flying to Orlando and driving straight to Tampa tonight. Tomorrow Derek, Maddie, and I are driving down the coast to meet my parents at the beach house for a week of fun in the sun. I can’t wait to just relax!

Have a great week everyone! ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Sana June 6, 2010 at 6:36 pm

It was fabulous meeting you! Have a lovely vacay!!!

2 Natalie June 6, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Scion: which came first, the car or the eatery? Haha! Looks like you had a great time!

3 Cara June 6, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Come back soon!! Or maybe a trip down to C-Ville to visit Kath and I?!?! And your COUSIN who I’ve still never met!! Great to meet you, running buddy!

4 Anne P June 6, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Yay! So glad I caught you before you headed out ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a safe flight and an AWESOME vacay!

5 Kelly June 6, 2010 at 7:08 pm

DC! My future home! I have that starbucks cup also, love it!

6 Ash Bear June 6, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I love you!! So, a few things, please email me your vacation address. You left something in DC. 2) Thanks for all the tips this weekend re: blog. I’m going to go to BlogHer and HLS to learn, learn, learn and soak up all the experiences. 3) You and Derrick need to come to NYC immediately if not sooner 4)Will you help me with a marathon training plan? ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad you made it to to the airport safely. For a moment, there in the rain, I was worried for both of us. ๐Ÿ™‚ Have fun and give Maddie a hug!

7 theprocessofhealing June 6, 2010 at 7:23 pm

How fun!!! I’ve never been to D.C. before but it’s on my list. That Farmer’s Market is so cool!

8 Suburban Sweetheart June 6, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Glad you enjoyed this fair city! It’s a pretty good place, huh? Except… man, I hate Scion. I blogged awhile back about the terrible experience I had there. The food was good but the service was awful, they served me something I’d told them I was allergic to & were totally unapologetic… every time I hear of a good experience there, something inside me dies a little because not-so-secretly, I just want them to failllll & close.

But, um, my anger aside, the Dupont Farmer’s Market is killer. Glad you had fun!

9 Lisa @ bakebikeblog June 6, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Wow – you girls sure did manage to fit a lot into one day!!!!!!!

10 Sarah June 6, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Whole Foods?! What a perfect ending to a great day!

11 Gwen June 6, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Next time you’re in DC I hope I can meet up with a group! If you liked the Dupont Farmers market you’d LOVE Eastern Market! Congrats on the relay! The down time threw me off during our relay last week, but I’d definitely do it again!

12 Frugal 'n' Fit! June 6, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Look at all of those strawberries! I am pretty sure that’s what heaven looks like ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Kellie June 6, 2010 at 8:41 pm

What a great day. Enjoy your relaxing week with your parents. How fun!

14 Erin June 6, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Wow, I’m impressed you accomplished so much! Glad you didn’t get stuck in the rain — it was CRAZY thunderstorms at my house. So nice to meet you! You’ll have to visit again and try real Maryland crabcakes. ๐Ÿ˜‰

15 jennyinnewyork June 6, 2010 at 8:49 pm

That cookie looks so good. Oh man I want to bake now haha

16 ash June 6, 2010 at 8:58 pm

wow im always impressed with how much work you can miss!!

17 Hillary June 6, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Ahh, love the famers’ market pics. Looks like a beautiful, sunny weekend at the Captiol :o)

18 runningwithsass June 6, 2010 at 10:39 pm

glad you had fun and got to visit at least one memorial!

19 Kait June 6, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Is that the marinated tofu from Whole Foods I see? Always my favorite!!!!

20 runnerforever June 6, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Hope you have a safe trip home, enjoy that cookie!

21 gavrielski June 6, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I went to the Dupont FM last summer and your pictures brought back some amazing memories of delicious foods! I’m so glad you had a great trip in DC, and I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing stay in the beach house. Enjoy your vacation! ๐Ÿ™‚

22 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) June 7, 2010 at 2:35 am

How fun! I might be moving to DC next year for grad school and for some reason I held it in my head for a while that it was not where I wanted to be, but the more I read about it on blogs (I have not visited for YEARS) the more it seems like an amazing, healthy and happy place ๐Ÿ™‚

23 britchickruns June 7, 2010 at 3:17 am

That looks like afab day – was that a yellow courgette1!? I have never seen on of those!! And ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I’ve been to the Lincoln memorial! It’s fun seeing someone else go where you’ve been ๐Ÿ™‚

24 Errign June 7, 2010 at 10:02 am

We call them summer squash here, but yeah basically a yellow zucchini/courgette ๐Ÿ™‚

25 dianacheung June 7, 2010 at 7:45 am

you are so blessed to have readers meet up with you ANYWHERE you go!

26 amanda June 7, 2010 at 7:45 am

Glad you had so much fun in DC. I hate when trips end and feels like you could have done or seen so much more. Ohh well, that gives you another chance to come back again.

27 Lee June 7, 2010 at 8:04 am

I just flew out of DC last night and the flight before mine at my gate was delayed to Orlando. Maybe we were in the gate at the same time! Was it Dulles airport around 7?

28 Brittany June 7, 2010 at 8:34 am

So glad you had a wonderful time exploring DC, but wish I could have come up to hang out. Since you liked DC so much – you’ll just have to come back. Perhaps you should consider doing the Richmond Marathon in November. ๐Ÿ˜‰

29 Marissa June 7, 2010 at 9:03 am

I wish our farmers’ market was closer! I want to go to one so bad! However, we do have a small farmer’s stand on a little road near my grandparents’ house… last Friday they were giving away puppies!

30 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com June 7, 2010 at 9:09 am

I am determined to make it to a good Farmer’s Market this weekend. I think I’ll try the one close to home, first and if it sucks I’ll check out Williamsburg and Yorktown. ๐Ÿ™‚

31 fitandfortysomething June 7, 2010 at 9:10 am

what a fabulous city!

32 biz319 June 7, 2010 at 10:29 am

Just catching up on my blog reading – what a great weekend! I lived in Virginia for a year, and loved driving to Georgetown to hang out – love D.C.!

Have a great week off with Derek and the fam!

33 Katherine: What About Summer? June 7, 2010 at 1:06 pm

DC is supposedly the ‘it’ place to live now. congrats on finding the fresh produce! haha

34 missyrayn June 7, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I love randomly wandering DC. Hunni and I are doing that next wednesday while on vacation ๐Ÿ™‚

You look like you had a blast and made some great new friends.

35 DiningAndDishing June 8, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Hi Meghann! So sorry Joelle and I missed the blogger meetup. We so wanted to be there! We had a bit of an “incident” the night before when my friend tripped and broke her nose…needless to say it was a loooong night! Hopefully we will have the chance to meet up with you another time soon :).

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com