Peanut Powder

by Meghann on June 4, 2010

What do you make when you are trying to eat up the last of the berries and yogurt in your fridge?

Create a parfait of course! πŸ™‚

There are something about parfaits that just scream high class to me? Maybe because they’re so pretty that they scream fancy schmancy? Either way they are easy to make and taste just as delicious as they look.

My parfait was layered with blueberries, strawberries, pineapple chobani yogurt, Kashi Go Lean Crisp, and….

Peanut Powder!

Peanut Powder? Yes! Peanut Powder!

Have you ever heard of PB2? Well, PB2 is a really cool product that consists of ground peanuts – pure and simple. You can use PB2 as a topping or mix it with milk or water to create a lower calorie peanut butter.

PB2 has always intrigued me, but they don’t sell it around me and I can’t bring myself to spend so much $$ on shipping for a product that I’ve never actually sampled before.

However, when I was at my local Asian market this past weekend I saw this makeshift PB2 substitute and – get this – for only 59 cents!

Ingredients: Peanuts. It doesn’t get any simpler than that!

I sprinkled a little peanut powder in between each layer and all I can say is yum! The peanut powder mixed with the yogurt and my pineapple yogurt became peanut butter flavored yogurt. I can’t wait to use this powder on ice cream!

I’m working from home for the first half of the day and – of course – the day I’m away from the office is the day the tasks I’ve set aside don’t seem to be going as plan. Grr….

Cross your fingers I can get these e-blasts to cooperate before I leave!

1 britchickruns June 4, 2010 at 8:31 am

Peanut powder sounds incredible! I’m actually going to google it now and see if they sell it in england πŸ˜€

2 Brittany June 4, 2010 at 8:33 am

Wow .59 for peanut powder!!! I must go to my local Asian market and see if they have it. Everything is always cheaper there- especially produce!!

Fingers crossed for your email blasts. I feel your pain. πŸ˜‰

3 moonwalkthemiles June 4, 2010 at 8:37 am

Thanks for sharing about the peanut powder! I’m going to be living in Asia soon, so I’m excited to know that it might be a staple over there…

4 Erica June 4, 2010 at 8:47 am

PB2 is one of my very favorite things ever!! Love it! And I’ve found that I can handle the shipping by buying the 4-pack of jars, it lasts a long time and is well worth every penny. Have a great day!

5 runnerstrials June 4, 2010 at 9:13 am

Your parfait looks divine! Now you have me craving one. PB2 sounds interesting. Glad you got such a great deal!

6 jennyinnewyork June 4, 2010 at 9:21 am

Oh I’ve always wanted to try PB2 as well! I should try this first…so much cheaper!!

7 Frugal 'n' Fit! June 4, 2010 at 9:27 am

The idea of powdered peanuts kind of skeeves me out but I will take your word for it! Peanut butter-flavoured yogurt DOES sound delicious.

8 fitandfortysomething June 4, 2010 at 9:27 am

i am with you pb2 is too expensive-love what you found instead and love your parfait!

9 Naomi(onefitfoodie) June 4, 2010 at 9:28 am

LOVe that parfait! meals are so much more enjoyable when they are FUN to eat!!

pb2 rocks…havent had it in a while but it is quite delicious esp in smoothies!

10 Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) June 4, 2010 at 9:28 am

I love mixing PB2 into my plain greek yogurt! I’ve also baked with it before (pb-banana bread, yum).

11 Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt June 4, 2010 at 9:37 am

I’m going to have to check this out! PB2 sound amazing!

12 gavrielski June 4, 2010 at 9:38 am

I’m enjoying some 0% Greek yogurt + cereal + strawberries right now topped with a light layer of PB2! It’s my favorite topping for my breakfasts. So glad you found it for cheap (it does get pretty expensive)!

13 Mica June 4, 2010 at 9:40 am

Aren’t Asian groceries the best? The tofu is cheap too!

14 Paula June 4, 2010 at 9:46 am

LOL According to the package, it’s actually “Peanust Powder”.

15 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com June 4, 2010 at 9:47 am

I ordered the PB2 samples once. Eh. I think the Asian version would make me a little nervous since they mis-spelled “peanuts” on the front. LOL Glad it worked out for you.

16 runningwithsass June 4, 2010 at 9:48 am

I love parfaits! yours looks so good!

17 Kelly June 4, 2010 at 9:54 am

I hope everything starts going smoothly. HAve a good trip to DC!@

18 Kim June 4, 2010 at 9:58 am

Peanut powder sounds awesome! I make my own peanut butter and it’s really easy – you just put dry roasted unsalted peanuts in the food processor and process til butter. But if you would stop the process earlier you would have peanut powder! Way cheaper and still really easy! I can’t wait to try it!

19 samantha June 4, 2010 at 10:01 am

funny you say that, because i’m actually having my first PB2 experience right now! i mixed it into some overnight oats, and DANG, is it delicious. i like how the peanut flavor spreads throughout the entire bowl, and isn’t just in little pockets.

20 jw June 4, 2010 at 10:03 am

if you dont mind me asking, what is it that you do? for a profession that is! πŸ™‚ I am a fellow Floridian who has been living in NYC for the past year and a half (and the previous 4 years at college outside of Boston) and am excited to be moving back to South Florida in August!! aah my runs will be fantastic with no hills. ha i have also been meaning to comment: i CANNOT believe that you do the open swims in a lake with alligators. i had a nightmare about alligators the night i read your post…

21 Fueling for Fitness June 4, 2010 at 10:14 am

Oh how I love Chinglish πŸ˜€
Growing up, I always used to giggle when my parents would bring home ridiculously mis-labelled items from China Town!

-Alison

22 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 4, 2010 at 10:19 am

PeanuSt!! Haha. I love asian packaging.

23 theprocessofhealing June 4, 2010 at 10:21 am

Your parfait is so pretty and it looks so delicious!
And I LOVE the idea of peanut powder! I bet that would be awesome in smoothies!

24 Jenny June 4, 2010 at 10:36 am

That’s such a great deal! I would never think to go to an Asian market for PB2!

25 Marissa June 4, 2010 at 10:48 am

Oh, cool, I’ve wanted to try PB2 for a long time! But its so expensive! I wonder if we have an Asian market around here…

26 Kellie June 4, 2010 at 10:56 am

I love how it is spelled “Peanust” powder.

27 Erin June 4, 2010 at 10:56 am

This looks delicious! I just think a parfait, especially served in a pretty glass like this, looks so fancy and special. πŸ˜€

28 Sarah June 4, 2010 at 10:57 am

That looks delish! I want to try PB2. I also happened to make a yogurt parfait for breakfast this morning. It’s so much fun to eat something so pretty for breakfast.

29 biz319 June 4, 2010 at 11:03 am

I won a PB2 in a giveaway a year ago – its just eh, so I wouldn’t seek it out – not when there are so many good nut butters out there!

Happy Friday! Since you are working from home this morning, you better still be in your pajamas!

30 The Linz June 4, 2010 at 11:03 am

Your parfait looks so yummy! And I definetly want to try the Peanut Powder. Sounds like it would be amazing in a lot of dishes!

31 shannon June 4, 2010 at 11:10 am

I’m pretty sure that PB2 has been processed so that some/most of the fat is removed. Seems kinda ‘frankenfood’ to me. I bet your asian market ‘peanust’ powder is better!

32 LindsayH June 4, 2010 at 3:34 pm

it has. also it has added sugar.
and i think its pretty gross.

33 luckytastebuds June 4, 2010 at 11:39 am

OMG your idea for using Chinese peanut powder put this Asian to shame. I do SOO much shopping in Asian grocery stores and i didn’t think of buying peanut powder to substitute PB2 at all! Your GENIUS Meghann!!! Thanks for always being so inspiring, whether it be fitness or food. πŸ™‚ I love mochi rolled in peanut powder and crushed peanuts. Its reaallly good stuff. Even better if you make the mochi yourself and stuff PB ice-cream in the middle!! hehehe

Happy Friday pretty one!!

34 Natalie June 4, 2010 at 11:47 am

What style of Vera Bradley bag is your blue one? Ever since they’ve gotten rid of the Tic Tac Tote I’ve been trying to find a good replacement for a school tote. The last one I ordered was big enough for me to sit in! haha

35 Bridget June 4, 2010 at 11:53 am

I love stuff like the peanut powder, too! Tien Hung is also my favorite Asian market and was very close to my aunt’s house!

Here in Asia (or at least where I live in Japan), labels aren’t as important as in the US. Things are often left off of them left and right, according to many of my co-workers. MSG is left off of many things. The few migraines that I’ve had in Japan have come from products that likely have MSG but leave it unlisted. Ingredients are left unlisted just to simplify things, and of course it makes exporting much easier!

There are probably more than peanuts in the peanut powder. The ingredients are probably all fine, but there’s probably salt added, etc. It’s still a lot healthier than most junk food (okay, 90%) in the US, though.

36 Kelly June 4, 2010 at 11:54 am

The lazy girl Calzone…yes please!

37 littlemisspharmacist June 4, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Your “calzone” looks amazing!! thanks for the idea, I have some pita in the frigde, so I know now what I’m gonna do with them..hey hey!! I don’t have tempeh (never tried actually), but I guess turkey or chicken will do the trick!
have a nice day…

38 Mj June 4, 2010 at 12:47 pm

uh oh! I think one of the ingredients got lost in translation! since I can read chinese the asian ingredients list translates to: Peanuts, Fine ground sugar! not trying to scare you but thought you might be interested know~ Crazy, never knew that they could hide ingredients like that when translating it.

39 hundredtenpounds June 4, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I’ve never heard of peanut powder!!! Weird!

40 Raya June 4, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I’ve totally got to find that peanut powder…I feel the same way about the PB2, I went to their website and couldn’t bring myself to spend that much $$ on something new!

41 Heather Rose June 4, 2010 at 1:21 pm

That parfait looks great! I’m going to have to look for that peanut powder, sounds like it would be good in smoothies.

42 Lizz @ leading the good life June 4, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I’ve been curious about PB2…it sounds interesting! I especially like your idea of putting it on top of ice cream – yum!!

43 Run Sarah June 4, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Definitely need to look out for the peanut powder – PB2 is too expensive for me!

44 Thomas April 12, 2014 at 3:52 am