InFlight WiFi

by Meghann on June 4, 2010

Confession: I only fly AirTran now because I know they have onboard WiFi.

Yes, I paid $9.95 for internet for a 2 hour flight – don’t judge. πŸ˜‰ Worth every penny if you ask me!

After the little glitch was fixed in the program I was trying to send my e-blasts out of, the rest of the morning working from home was a breeze. πŸ™‚ I even managed to have a very productive conference call while I was loading my car up with all the junk I’ll need over the next week.

Since the theme for my lunch was ‘eat anything perishable left in the fridge,’ I ended up with quite a random pairing of eats.

First there is the tempeh sloppy joes I made with tempeh, onions, tomatoes, and my special sauce of ketchup, bbq sauce, and spicy mustard.

I served the sloppy joe in an Arnold’s Thin (three cheers for our Healthy Living Summit sponsor!) with a slice of swiss cheese.

I had a random plantain I bought a couple of weeks ago that was just black enough to be made into plantain chips – or at least my version of chips. πŸ™‚ I sliced the plantain and baked the ‘chips’ at 375 for 15 minutes and then flipped before baking an additional 15 minutes.

They came out really well. They were at that stage where the plantains came out savory as opposed to sweet. Yum. πŸ™‚

I also had some carrot fries baking in the oven that I served with ketchup.

The security line at OIA was a NIGHTMARE! In fact, it has been a nightmare the last couple of times I’ve flown. They really need to come up with an organization plan rather than just having the masses fend for themselves while fighting tooth and nail to get through the metal detectors. πŸ™

Despite getting to the airport an hour and half before my flight I arrived at my gate just as they were boarding. Any later and they would have been long gone.

Fun fact: This is my first time EVER flying without checking a bag! Keep in mind this is my 4th time on a plane for 2010 and I flew 8 times in 2009! Crazy, right?

I felt like such a grown up actually having a bag to put in the above compartment. πŸ™‚

Another thing I’ve discovered I love about AirTran – XM radio! You know what station I’m currently rocking to. πŸ˜‰

Once the flight was in the air I dug into my packed snack of Naturally Nutty Peanut Butter and an Apple.

Now it’s time to buckle down and get to work. I’ve found I’m 10x more productive doing blog work on airplanes because I have nothing to distract me. πŸ™‚

Once I land I’m meeting up with Leslie and Ashley for a night out on the town. I can’t wait!!!

Washington D.C. – Here I Come!! πŸ™‚

1 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com June 4, 2010 at 4:40 pm

How’s you get away with not checking a bag!? You can take more than a single ziploc bag of 3oz. liquids or gels through. How’d you take your toiletries!!??

2 Lauren @ Team Giles June 4, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Girl, I’d pay for the wifi too. SO worth it. I love your shirt by the way, genius!

Have a great trip!

3 christina cadden June 4, 2010 at 4:52 pm

have fun!

4 britchickruns June 4, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I’d definetly pay the extra for the wifi, you made the right choice!
Those plantain chips look lovely – I’ve tried plantain once before and it went SO wrong, but they look good πŸ™‚

5 Erin June 4, 2010 at 4:53 pm

It is hot and humid here–you’ll feel like you never left Florida. πŸ˜‰

6 hundredtenpounds June 4, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I love that t-shirt!!

7 Joey June 4, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I giggled when I read the part about the XM radio on the flight… Do you belt it out like you did in the Chevy?! πŸ˜›

8 ellaroo88 June 4, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I love the t-shirt! Totally get that! Makes me mad when I have to explain why I run- the shirt says it all

9 Heather Rose June 4, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I can’t wait to try that in flight internet service next time I fly, that would be so much fun!

10 tiffany June 4, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Keep an eye out for Virgin America. Once they expand the list of cities they service, you should try it out! I love, love, love them!

And I always try to fit everything in a carry on. I hate having to check things and wait for them (or worse, fear that they’ll get lost)

11 Tina June 4, 2010 at 5:12 pm

That’s a LOT of flying! I don’t fly often but now I know if I do I need to stick with the carry on. It amazes me how they charge for checked luggage now. Also, I had to laugh thinking what your seat mate thought of all the picture taking on the flight.

Have fun tonight!

12 Megan June 4, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Hi, I’m Megan. I read your blog frequently and today I saw that you brought outside food onto the plane to eat. How do you get through security with it? I always thought you were only able to bring food and drinks you bought in the airport on the plane or food that was packaged. I would like to know how you do it so the next time I fly I can bring my own goodies too.

Thank you!

13 Kellie June 4, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Have a great trip. Airports stress me out, great job on maintaining your calmness.

14 jennyinnewyork June 4, 2010 at 6:11 pm

AirTran sounds like a great airline! Were the tickets more expensive?

15 Lindsay June 4, 2010 at 6:20 pm

This past weekend, I didn’t check a bag for the first time ever, and I felt quite adult too! It’s amazing how much time it saves if you don’t have to pick up your bags at baggage claim, but I don’t think I can ever pack as light as I did last weekend. I only had to pack for a weekend. Any longer, and the mongo suitcase would have been recruited and checked. Lol.

16 Sarah (Enjoying One Meal at a Time) June 4, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I was just visiting home in DC this past week. It’s hot there, enjoy!

17 runningwithsass June 4, 2010 at 8:22 pm

fancy smancy!
I fly southwest and there is nothing cool on those flights like xm radio lol!

18 missyrayn June 4, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I have a hard time not checking a bag. I just pack too much.

19 Lisa @bakebikeblog June 4, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I am SO jealous about the in f;ight wi-fi! I don’t think ANY planes in Australia have it πŸ™
Safe travels!!!

20 Hangry Pants June 4, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Did you see my sandwich thin fill’ems?

21 Eliza June 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Wow…AirTran sounds awesome. Wifi and XM radio!? I’ve never heard of it but I’ll definitely have to check it out. Do plantains taste like bananas? Its cool that you can make them taste savory. The chips look great!

22 Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 4, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Awesome- enjoy!
I picked up Shape today! Great article! You should be so proud of yourself to be featured in a magazine!

23 Doug June 7, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I agree with AirTran. Funny that we were both talking to each other on the flights the other day heading to diff parts of the US. A secret… if you use “airtran20” its 20% of inflight internet…. just enter where it says promo code. Looks like you had a blast!