more ยป" />

Lazy Girl's Calzone

by Meghann on June 3, 2010

Check this beauty out.

I call it ‘The Lazy Girl’s Calzone’ :)

Step 1: Cut a slit on the side of a pita

Step 2: Fill pita with marinara sauce, tempeh, zucchini, yellow squash, basil, and cheese

Step 3: Bake pita at 400 degrees for 8 minutes

Step 4: Enjoy!! :)

I have a catch 22 where I always want to order calzones at restaurants because they look and sound so good, but I never do because know that if I do I’ll be disappointed with it. Usually calzones have too much cheese and the crust if a little overwelming for my tastes. My ‘Lazy Girl’s Calzone’ fixes those dilemmas. I control the cheese, I can amp up the toppings, and the pita is just enough crust. :)

Plus, my version is just a tad bit healthier than any calzone you’ll find on any restaurant’s menu. ๐Ÿ˜‰

From lazy girl dinner to lazy girl dessert. :)

I followed Angela’s super easy 3 Minute Vegan Oatmeal Cookie (original recipe from Tina) and used rolled dates instead of raisins and added some dark chocolate bark that I chopped up. I slathered it with Strawberry Preserves.

Delicious. :) I think the best part was the melted dark chocolate pieces. If you add dark chocolate to anything I am all over it.

Before I left work I had some carrot sticks and almond butter as my afternoon snack.

Pack, Pack, Pack

Here’s the deal:

I leave for Washington DC on a 3:30pm flight tomorrow afternoon. I have a 6:30pm flight back to Orlando on Sunday. I land around 9:00pm and head straight from the airport to Tampa to the west coast to the beach house my family has rented for the week.

What does this all mean?

This means I am sitting here packing for two separate back-to-back trips. Ughh..

Trip #1

Trip #2

Let’s hope I have everything!

1 Nicole @ Making Good Choices June 3, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I could go for one of those easy 3 minute cookies right now! Good luck with the packing, just think you will be on vacation soon enough! :)

2 Mary June 3, 2010 at 9:00 pm

you’re so worldly! Have fun :)

3 runnerstrials June 3, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Yikes, I’d be scared I’d forget something! At least you have 2 fun trips coming up! How exciting :)

4 Heather @ Side of Sneakers June 3, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Um that’s the cutest suitcase ever!

5 Carolyn @ June 3, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Oh, man! I have NOT been doing enough traveling lately, because I’m actually jealous! :)

6 theprocessofhealing June 3, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Wow, i’d be so overwhelmed with that packing! but I bet you are going to have a BLAST!

7 ellaroo88 June 3, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Yumm your calzone looks great! I also like your dessert. Looks good. Hope your packing goes well and you enjoy your trip. Travel safe

8 Emilyeatsclean June 3, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Packing for 2 trips….eek! I love you idea for easy calzones. I fixed real calzones last night…..check it out my blog!

9 Tiff June 3, 2010 at 9:51 pm

You have a ton of vacation time!!! Your work must be nice to let you take so many days off. I’m jealous. I haven’t taken a vacation in a year and a half. I just don’t get that many vacation days.

10 Kendra! June 3, 2010 at 10:41 pm

I love your ‘lazy-girl’ dinner! i just dined on my own version: a lazy/single-gal (mexican) pizza of la tortilla factory tortillas, plus salsa and low-cal cheese, cilantro, and fage!

and i thought it was *adorable* that you’ve to pack for two VERY different trips! must be a challenge to wrap your head around it all!

(ps. constructing my new blog now, and should be ‘up-and-running’ in a day or two. very different from yours, but still very, very inspired by you!)

safe travels!

11 Heather Eats Almond Butter June 3, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Brilliant Meghann. I always drool over the calzones, but NEVER order them. Your version is much more my style. :)

Enjoy your trips!

12 Melissa @ For the Love of Health June 3, 2010 at 11:05 pm

I like that! This is the exact reason I prefer eating in than eating out :-)
Have a great trip! Or trips, rather.

13 Nekeisha June 3, 2010 at 11:31 pm

I’m only packing for one trip this weekend and I feel like uhhggg. I have mad a list, checked it twice but “sigh”. I don’t think I could do two separate at one time.

In other news I have just passed my one year anniversary of reading your blog. It’s a long drawn out story about how I stumbled upon your blog but it all started with my annual breathing problems, and about 20 blogs of separation. I lost you for a while (two different computers, didn’t bookmark) so the actual date is fuzzy so I just use end of May begining of June as my marker. So thank you for the last year.

14 Indi June 3, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Have fun in DC! If you have free time you should try SweetGreen, it’s an awesome restaurant with make-your-own salads and fro-yo. Highly recommended :)

15 Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 4, 2010 at 12:23 am

That lazy calzone looks awesome!

16 Marina June 4, 2010 at 12:43 am

Your lazy girl dinner looks awesome, I like the fast calzone idea!

17 Liz June 4, 2010 at 1:05 am

Your lazy calzone looks so yummy. And I absoluetly love your flower print suitcase… so cute and i bet it is easy to spot on the carousel.

18 amystartstorun June 4, 2010 at 2:19 am

What a great idea for the a different twist on the calzone! I will be trying this very soon.

19 Heather Rose June 4, 2010 at 2:53 am

Oh my gosh, I’d be freaking out with all of that packing! I get way too neurotic with packing, and my Mom always makes fun of my lists! Seems like you have it all under control though, have a great trip(s)!

20 ForDGRedial June 4, 2010 at 2:57 am

I couldn’t concentrate on your post, I just got so jealous that you have a star plate!! I think I may be developing some of the crazy plate and cup lady-itus that Angela (OSG) has…

Amy x

21 Kerry June 4, 2010 at 3:00 am

thats such a good idea for calzone! x

22 britchickruns June 4, 2010 at 3:33 am

I want a 3minute vegan oatmeal cookie now…maybe I’ll make one for my dessert later, thankyou for the inspo!! Have a safe trip today:)

23 Evelyn June 4, 2010 at 3:38 am

Star plate!!! Me likey <3

24 jess June 4, 2010 at 6:11 am

has anyone told you you look like jennifer grey from dirty dancing? lol

25 Molly June 4, 2010 at 6:16 am

I love carrots and peanut butter! Do you think carrots with almond butter taste better? I never can decide if I want to splurge on a jar of ab.

26 amanda June 4, 2010 at 7:27 am

I love both of the recipes you made that are “lazy girl”, the calzone and cookie. They both look and sound deliciously easy. Anyway, have a great time in DC…that is where I leave. I would have loved to meet up but I am busy all this weekend (I noticed you made a comment about meeting up and just had to email you).

27 Beth June 4, 2010 at 8:13 am

Have a great time on your trips! Where are you going on the West Coast?

28 Frugal 'n' Fit! June 4, 2010 at 9:04 am

You had me at “lazy girl”. Definitely my style!

29 Heather C June 4, 2010 at 9:18 am

have a safe flight to DC today! I’ll keep an eye out for ya on the course tomorrow :) I’ll be at the “Difficult Run” aid station!

30 Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy June 4, 2010 at 11:21 am

Oh, that calzone looks so good! I love anything with squash and zucchini!

31 rayshine June 4, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Cute Target luggage! Saw that when I was there today. Enjoy your vacay at the beach! ๐Ÿ˜€ Great looking calzone too.

32 Jennifer June 4, 2010 at 9:59 pm

LOVE your luggage! That calzone looks fab. I am going to have to try it. My kids would be all over it! (anything with cheese and veg that is!) ๐Ÿ˜€