Lunch Order

by Meghann on June 2, 2010

Operation Volunteer to Order Lunch to Avoid Greasy Pizza was a big success!

This really is a great tip if you work in an environment where food is ordered in for lunch meetings. Basically if you want to make sure the meal being provided is a healthy one, then volunteer to place the order yourself. It shows that you are willing to be a team player by stepping up to the plate to order the food and you get to be as picky as you want without anyone being the wiser. πŸ˜‰

I ordered today’s lunch from Roly Poly.

I love Roly Poly! Especially their Spa Salad which is served with mixed greens, plum tomatoes, green pepper, cucumber, carrots, mushrooms, avocado, walnut pieces, dried cranberries, alfalfa sprouts, and a side of balsamic vinaigrette. People go crazy over this salad!

I ordered a best seller platter of wraps, a large order of the spa salad, and some cookies, drinks, and chips to round everything out.

I didn’t want to distract anyone from the meeting by taking a photo of all the food, but I did steal a picture from an old post where we ordered pretty much the same thing.

I had a veggie wrap and about double amount of the salad shown above (I had gone back for seconds!).

I also had 1/2 of a white chocolate macadamia cookie and a pink lady apple right before the meeting started.

Everyone loved the food. I think I am going to volunteer to order lunch more often. πŸ™‚

Unfortunately the meeting ate up more than half of my day and I have a ton of work to get back to! Eekkk!! Better get on it. πŸ™‚

1 britchickruns June 2, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I don’t blame people for going mad for that salad – it sounds incredible! Walnuts and avocado = love πŸ™‚
Have a good afternoon!

2 Sarah for Real June 2, 2010 at 1:52 pm

AND you’re adding to the productivity by providing non-coma food! Nothing is worse than a long meeting plus heavy food. That’ll put anyone to sleep!

3 fitandfortysomething June 2, 2010 at 2:00 pm

what a great option!

4 biz319 June 2, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I always order the food at my office too! Mostly because I don’t like onions so I make sure to say that someone in our office has an allergy to onions! πŸ˜€

5 freshman5k June 2, 2010 at 2:07 pm

yum! I wish I had a Roly Poly restaurant near where I live!

6 Kristina @goodnweird June 2, 2010 at 2:23 pm

that is a great idea. sandwich looks yummy.

7 steph June 2, 2010 at 2:26 pm

How funny…I am eating roly poly right now!

8 alison June 2, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I LOVE Roly Poly! When I lived in Georgia, we went frequently, but they don’t have any where I live in Northern Virginia. Boo.
I love the italian veggie and always requested to have it hot. I think the wraps are all better when they’re hot and melty.

9 Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 2, 2010 at 2:36 pm

That’s a smart strategy! I’d definitely do the same. The wraps + salad look yummy. πŸ™‚

Jenn

10 missyrayn June 2, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Hunni and I do this alot when it comes to us having meetings. We are the bosses but we order the food so I can actually eat it (I have digestive problems).

And that salad sounds amazing!

11 Morgan @ Life After Bagels June 2, 2010 at 2:47 pm

now that I’m the boss I totally get to order what I want for meetings . . . the only problem is that I always want the pizza hahahaha!

12 Heather Rose June 2, 2010 at 2:48 pm

We have a meeting Friday, and I talked to my co-worker to see what he was going to order. I told him if he was going to order something junky I’d bring my own lunch, but luckily he’s a pretty healthy eater too so we’re on the same page and will conform everyone else in the meeting!

13 ActiveEggplant June 2, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Definitely a good idea to volunteer to place the order & thereby pick where you order from. I will definitely have to use that strategy in the future – we had lunch meetings 3 days in a row last week & it was quite hard to find something healthy at the restaurants the others picked!

I heart Roly Poly – just wish we had one in this area!

14 Lindsay June 2, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I love your healthy lunch idea. Why isn’t the “healthy option” the go-to option instead of greasy pizza? It sits so much better in your stomach, especially when you have to be productive for a meeting, than pizza. Plus, everyone loves sandwiches! πŸ™‚

15 gavrielski June 2, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Looks like a great option! Sometimes you just have to go for it and hope that other people will be on-board with your choices. It looks like it worked! πŸ™‚

16 Tracey June 2, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I just ate at Roly Poly for the first time a couple weeks ago. I really like it and am already planning on my next visit!

17 Heather @ Side of Sneakers June 2, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Love your solution to the greasy pizza πŸ˜‰ My coworkers would just strangle me if I did that though hahaaa

18 ellaroo88 June 2, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Yum looks like a good place to order from

19 Erin June 2, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Great idea! I hate when someone else chooses and it’s either something really smelly (I love Mexican food but not at the office) or greasy. Great choice.

20 Tracy June 2, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Love roly poly! I used to order the spa salad, but lately I’ve been ordering their greek salad. It is so good!!!

21 Julie @ Wearing Mascara June 2, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Mmmm avocado πŸ™‚ Great lunch idea. Way to take charge!

22 Lisa @ bakebikeblog June 2, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Such a great idea!!!!!

23 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) June 2, 2010 at 6:52 pm

That salad sounds fantastic. Good choice Meghann!

24 christina cadden June 2, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I love Roly Poly! I wish we had one close!

25 whitinspired June 2, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Ah. I LOVE Roly Poly. We used to have two in town, and they have both gone out of business. It’s so sad. I used to eat it weekly during college!

26 Brynne June 2, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I LOVE that salad from Roly Poly! So much great stuff in it!

27 healthyhappyalways June 2, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I am a teacher and we are always having lunches brought in. Tomorrow is our end of the year luncheon…tips on how to not go overboard?? I am nervous that if I don’t have a choice of what to eat I will have too much of something that I don’t need!!! Thanks!

28 Julie @ Pickley Pear June 2, 2010 at 8:53 pm

My company has a company-sponsored lunch program. Free lunches everyday – there are 8 vendors – and each person ‘orders’ whatever they want each day. Luckily there are a ton of healthy choices and the variety is never ending.

I read your article in Shape last night! I was so excited to see you in there.

29 pursuitofhealthfulness June 2, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Geez, that sounds awesome! Where do you work?

30 pursuitofhealthfulness June 2, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Good idea in volunteering to order lunch! I always like to offer to bring dishes along to parties, such as an easy veggie and hummus platter, just so I know there will be healthier options. Of course, its also important to have a little indulgence on occasion… I bet that cookie tasted even better without being muddled by greasy pizza! (:

31 thefitbridesmaid June 2, 2010 at 11:42 pm

OMG I love Roly Poly (aside from the fact that they take forever to make a sandwich). Unfortunately, they keep going out of business in places that I frequent. πŸ™

I always loved the Chicken Popper and Basil Cashew Chicken. I should just make them at home myself.

32 Danielle June 6, 2010 at 10:35 am

I used to eat at Roly Poly all the time when I lived in Gainesville. Yum!