more ยป" />

The Last Of

by Meghann on June 1, 2010

Today’s eats contained a lot of ‘the last of.’ ๐Ÿ™‚

The last of a jar of nut butter, the last of a bag of peanut butter pretzels, the last of a bag of cashews & dried kiwi

(A pre-hot yoga snack)

And the last of yesterday’s grilled vegetable kabobs for dinner

I sauteed a 1/3 of a block of tofu with some soy sauce then added the veggies straight from the skewers as well as 1/2 an ear of corn.

Topped with peanuts.

This meal was quick and easy to put together after hot yoga this evening. I’m trying to eat the contents of my fridge before I leave for vacation on Friday, so all the left overs are the first things to go. ๐Ÿ™‚

For dessert I finally cut into the quarter of a watermelon that has been in my fridge for over a week.

Watermelon oddly goes together really well with Quaker Oatmeal Squares. ๐Ÿ™‚

Tasty!

One Big Happy Family

Does anyone out there watch the show One Big Happy Family on TLC?

big-happy-family.jpg

One Big Happy Family is a reality show that chronicles the journey of one obese family’s quest to lose weight and get healthy.

I’ve seen a few episodes and it’s pretty interesting. Sort of like The Biggest Loser meets Little People Big World, only instead of dealing with the challenges of being little, they are dealing with the challenges of being big.

I actually enjoy this show more than Biggest Loser because it’s a real family losing weight the real way in the real world without trainers, without nutritionists and without all the bells and whistles the everyday person wouldn’t have at their disposal. This show is setting out to prove that weight loss is possible without the bells and whistles. It also focuses on the love of family and team work. ๐Ÿ™‚

With that in mind, I wish the show went more in depth on the family’s changes they’re making to lose the weight and get healthier. They have a great concept here, they just need to dig a little deeper into the emotional side for my taste. ๐Ÿ™‚

What are your thoughts on the new show?

1 Evan Thomas June 1, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I started to watch an episode of that show tonight, actually. But I wasn’t a fan of how it seemed to be more comedic than inspirational. I think it’s a touchy subject whenever people who clearly just need help are made into a public spectacle like that. That and I found Ice Cream Paradise two channels above them which sounded more entertaining ๐Ÿ™‚

2 theprocessofhealing June 1, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I haven’t watched that show but it sounds interesting!!!
Mmm.. fresh watermelon: one of the best things about summer!

3 Annie June 1, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I’ve never seen this show, but I completely agree with you. I enjoy The Biggest Loser, but its approach to weight loss seems completely unrealistic and inaccessible to me. Not to mention, I don’t think it is entirely necessary or healthy for overweight people to work out for hours on end and live with an extremely strict diet. To me, weight loss is about patience and time.

4 runningwithsass June 1, 2010 at 9:36 pm

i havent seen it.
have you heard about jillian michaels new show? it looks really good! I think it premiered tonight…oops!

5 adrienmelaine June 1, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I have not seen the new show- but I will look for it- it’s nice when a family can work together on their health- I think it’s really important in family dynamics to all be on board.

We’ve had clients before who’d family didn’t support them, and it was a daily struggle for them to lose their weight.

6 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) June 1, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I’ve never heard of this show but now I really wanna watch it! I enjoy learning about the struggles or overweight and obese people….not sure why. Just do!

7 Jenny June 1, 2010 at 9:59 pm

I have yet to see it! I’ll see if it’s illegally available online tonight:)

8 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com June 1, 2010 at 9:59 pm

I saw it when it first aired. Looking forward to new episodes.

9 clairedille June 1, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Sounds like my kinda dinner, yum! I’ve never heard of that show but it definitely seems interesting!

10 Lisa @ bakebikeblog June 1, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I don’t think we have that show in Australia…but sounds interestinG!

11 Emilyeatsclean June 1, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I’ve not even heard of this show…..I’ll have to check it out!

12 Erin June 1, 2010 at 10:11 pm

I haven’t seen that show but might try to catch an episode. I love BL and am sad it’s over until next year.

13 Lindsay June 1, 2010 at 10:17 pm

That new show seems really interesting and much more realistic than The Biggest Loser. While I find The Biggest loser inspirational at times, I also think that it breeds a disordered attitude about food and exercise. I remember watching one of the finalists (I forget which season this was…the one before last, I think?) cry her eyes out to Bob b/c she had gone over her “calorie count” for the day and couldn’t fit in all six hours of exercise that the trainers wanted her to do. If that’s not an eating disorder in the making, I don’t know what is.

I also find it interesting that a few of the winners have gained back all their weight. I just wish The Biggest Loser advocated a healthier, more long-term, and more realistic approach to weight loss. I’ll have to check out this new show to see what it’s like.

14 missyrayn June 1, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I love the idea but I hope they show the internal work they have to do as well as the external.

15 Run Sarah June 1, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I haven’t seen that show but it sounds pretty interesting and a bit more real world applicable than Biggest Loser.

16 Suburban Sweetheart June 1, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Never seen the show but it sounds interesting. And there’s no dried fruit I love more than dried kiwis! So underrated.

17 Sarah June 1, 2010 at 10:26 pm

It’s definitely an interesting show. I agree that it’s intriguing to see the other side of the spectrum and watch a family try to get healthy the real way. It’s definitely a more light-hearted show that’s also about this family full of interesting personalities.

18 Samantha Angela June 1, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I never heard of that show but when I scrolled down and saw that picture my automatic reaction was “whoa!”
They are definitely a big family. I like that it chronicles “real” weight loss, but I think that they could probably benefit from having trainers and nutritionists.

19 Alisha June 1, 2010 at 10:41 pm

I saw a few episodes of this show during, what I guess is now being called Season 1, and thought it was pretty good. I watched tonight and was shocked to see how much weight the mom (I forget her name) has lost. I like how they all support each other and how they seem like the average family struggling with car repairs, motivating their kids, their finances, and people close to them not always supporting their lifestyle changes. Some parts seem staged and cheesy, but I’ll probably keep watching. I’d like to know how long it took the mom on One Big Happy Family to go from a size 34/36 to a size 20.

And don’t even get me started on The Biggest Loser… HATE IT!

20 Laura June 1, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Haven’t heard of that show! I’ll have to check it out. I love inspirational stories of weight loss, but I’m sort of bored with the competition aspect of The Biggest Loser.

21 chasingcasey June 1, 2010 at 11:58 pm

I’m actually watching it right now. I remember seeing the first few episodes. I really like it. It’s more real and heartfelt than the intensity and the weight loss impracticality in the real world.

22 Heather Rose June 2, 2010 at 12:08 am

I’ve been thinking of checking out that show, but I hadn’t heard much about it. Thanks for the feedback, maybe I’ll give it a whirl now.

I’m looking for something in that genre now that BL is over for the season, although I do want to check out Jillian Michaels new show too.

23 BroccoliHut June 2, 2010 at 12:56 am

I just watched this show for the first time tonight (while waiting for The Little Couple to come on), and I think I am totally hooked! The family is so likeable, and you can tell they love each other very much. I like to see a family unite to improve their health:)

24 britchickruns June 2, 2010 at 2:50 am

That show sounds awesome; they don’t show it in England but I’d love to see it!

25 britishbride June 2, 2010 at 7:27 am

No wonder I thought you were a veggie – all your vegetarian recipes are amazing!

Julia

26 amanda June 2, 2010 at 7:42 am

mmm, the watermellon looks delish! nice and juicy. what an interesting combo.

never seen or even heard of that show. i’ll have to give it a whirl.

27 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 2, 2010 at 8:24 am

I haven’t seen that show yet but I’m going to have to look for it now! I quit watching the Biggest Loser a couple years ago because it’s just so unrealistic and I hate all the advertising during the show.

28 Frugal 'n' Fit! June 2, 2010 at 9:20 am

I watched that show when it first premiered and found it hilarious. I enjoyed it more for the cuteness of the family than for its inspirational nature, but I will definitely watch again especially since there seems to be a dearth of good shows on TV now that it’s summer.

29 Kati June 2, 2010 at 10:30 am

I totally forgot that show started and had been meaning to watch it. I used to love the Biggest Loser but feel it’s very unrealistic because due to the insane workouts and the amount of weight they lose in a short period of time. Last night I watched Jillian Michael’s new show, “Losing It” which works with a family who wants to lose weight. Although it was similar to Biggest Loser in regards to the grueling workouts, it went a little deeper in understanding where their issues stemmed from which I think is what needs to be emphasized when anyone has issues overeating, not exercising, etc.

30 Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 2, 2010 at 10:51 am

Just reading this post now… I am pretty much having the same thing for dinner tonight as you had. Tofu, with sauted veggies and the recipe called for peanuts but I thought I’d jazz it up and use cashews instead.

31 Lauren @ Running Examiner June 2, 2010 at 11:24 am

I haven’t watched the show, but would consider doing so. It sounds like the this family has a lot of say it what methods they employ to lose weight and become healthier people. My issue with The Biggest Loser is that I find many aspects of it incredibly exploitative, and simply a ploy for higher ratings. Why set people in a room filled with “forbidden” food and watch them struggle to triumph over the temptation? Ugh. I’m also don’t think the show advocates long-term, sustainable weight loss/maintenance. Inevitably, people won’t be able to reserve 5-6 hours of workout time each day–nor should they.

32 Lauren @ Running Examiner June 2, 2010 at 11:25 am

And, lastly, forgive all my typos-sorry!

33 katie June 2, 2010 at 11:49 am

Thanks for introducing me to the show. I wish I had a dvr, but will check it out in reruns!

34 kirsten June 2, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I was wondering what that show was about, I’m glad you discussed it, I will definitely check it out!

35 hundredtenpounds June 2, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I hadn’t heard of that show but it sounds interesting. I’m glad they are trying to make a change as a family unit. That’s the only way to succeed! Support systems make all the difference.

36 Brynne June 2, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I really like that show – I think it’s great they’re trying to get healthy and it’s really interesting to see all of the conflicts they have with each other and their family’s eating habits!

37 Marissa June 3, 2010 at 9:35 am

I agree about One Big Happy Family; its a brilliant idea, but it just hasn’t been executed as well as I would have liked… I liked Jillian Micheals’ new show, Losing it with Jillian, much better! But I love Jillian Micheals, so…