Eight Beautiful Miles

by Meghann on May 30, 2010

Want to know a secret? I miss marathon training!

I miss getting up early on weekend mornings, taking off for a ridiculous double digit runs, and that amazing sense of accomplishment you feel afterwards. Don’t get me wrong I love the mix up of work outs I’ve been doing lately, but nothing will ever compare to my love for runs. I think I’ve officially recovered to that burnt out feeling I was having right before the 50k. πŸ˜‰

Training for Chicago starts in July! Woo hoo!!

I may not have the endurance to spit out double digit runs at the drop of a hat anymore, but I can still do a mean 8 miler if the time arises. This morning I ran a glorious 8 miles at a 9:00 minute pace. It felt awesome!

After my run I had a delicious breakfast of carb, fruit, and protein.

Carb = Heather’s Chocolate Cherry Scone

Fruit = Apple

Protein = 2 egg white puffs with strawberry preserves

A great meal. πŸ™‚

This afternoon I’m heading to a bridal shower for one of my best friends growing up.

April and I met when we were nine and our Moms had just started working together. Our families have always been very close and to this day we still spend holidays together. In fact we celebrated Christmas dinner together just this past year.

April and I on the last day of sophomore year in 2001.

ape,meg.jpg

April is my first close friend from childhood – that I still keep in touch with – who is getting married. Over the years we’ve been through our own ups and downs (oh, what I would go back and tell my high school self if I’ve had the chance), but through it all we’ve remained friends.

Family cruise in 2007.

100_3286.JPG

If you would have asked me back in the day out of my group of friends who would be getting married first I would have immediately said April. She has this way about her that always had the boys fleeing to her side. She’s really outgoing and has a style and personality that is all her own. There could be no other April – she is truly one of a kind.

100_3390.JPG

I’m actually a little nervous about attending the bridal shower. While April has done great keeping in touch with old high school friends – I noticed all her bridesmaids are people we graduated with! – I have not. I haven’t seen some of the people attending today’s shower since we graduated 7 years ago – yikes! Thanks to the power of the internet I pretty much know what everyone still looks like and what they’ve been up to, but that’s not the same as seeing them all in person.

Nothing like seeing some old friends you haven’t seen in years to make you work double hard to look your best! Bring on the make up, curling iron, and hair spray! Mama needs to look her best! πŸ˜‰

1 Can You Stay for Dinner May 30, 2010 at 10:46 am

Good luck at the shower! You’re beautiful, it won’t matter if you have on the perfect outfit! Have fun catching up with old friends, and great job on the run, girl!

2 adrienmelaine May 30, 2010 at 10:48 am

Don’t worry about meeting up with them- you’ll either fall back into the old routine of how it used to be, or you won’t- in which case, it’s only a weekend or two that you have to spend with them!

I’m with you- my last marathon was a month ago- the next one isn’t until October, but I do miss that weekend warrior feel it has to the training!

3 Mary May 30, 2010 at 10:57 am

I’m running Chicago this fall too!! Its my first full marathon!

4 biz319 May 30, 2010 at 11:01 am

Just think of it as a mini reunion! πŸ˜€ Have fun!

5 Anna May 30, 2010 at 11:07 am

I bet you’ll have a great time! Although I know what you mean– I always feel nervous before I see people that I haven’t seen in a while (other than on Facebook, lol).

Have fun!

6 Suburban Sweetheart May 30, 2010 at 11:13 am

Have fun at the wedding! Like another commenter said, think of it as a mini-reunion. It’ll be fun!

7 britchickruns May 30, 2010 at 11:29 am

I think you’ll still have an ace time – you look so fit and strong and confident now, everyone will be blown away I bet!
Have a lovely time πŸ™‚

8 rebecca lustig May 30, 2010 at 11:51 am

I hope you have a wonderful time with your friends πŸ™‚

p.s. that scone looks sooo good.

9 Michele May 30, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I’m intrigued by your egg white puffs. Please, tell us how to make them. What’s the texture like?

10 Courtney May 30, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Great job on the 8 miles, girl! I wish I was old enough to go to bridal showers- they sound so fun!

11 Katherine: What About Summer? May 30, 2010 at 1:22 pm

haha don’t worry about old hs girl drama; remember: you’re all grown up!

12 christina cadden May 30, 2010 at 1:49 pm

an egg white with fruit on top. I might have to try that!

13 Doug May 30, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I know exactly what you mean about the bridal shower thing…, well kinda. Im going to San Juan, PR in August for a bachelor party and maybe have talked to two of the ten ppl since highschool. They hear me on the radio everyday and I see them on facebook so I guess its a fair trade off… still kind of strange though.

14 Lauren May 30, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Om nom nom… I love Vietnamese food. My uncle is from Vietnam and he knows all the best Vietnamese/Thai restaurants around here….
have you ever tried sticky rice cooked in coconut milk with sliced mango? Served warm, it’s the most delicious thing EVER!
Have fun at the shower! πŸ™‚

15 Melissa Cari May 30, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I bet you’ll be surprised and have a great time today…and I’m sure you’ll look great!

I’m excited to see your training plan for the marathon. I need to start mine for Philly in July, as well. It’s my first so I’m definitely not aiming for Boston (or even close!) but I love to see how other people plan their weeks. I’m sure I’ll look back to your old posts to see what your plans were for your past few marathons.

16 missyrayn May 30, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I know that fear. I went to an old friend’s wedding and most of them didn’t recognize me. It was weird since we had been so close in college.

17 Katie May 30, 2010 at 4:21 pm

When you run, do you just go with whatever distance you’re feeling like that morning, or do you follow any type of “mini” training plan?

18 Kellie May 30, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I put preserves on my egg whites too. Glad I am not the only one!

19 Lisa @ bakebikeblog May 30, 2010 at 6:05 pm

YAY for a great run!
And I am SURE you will have a great time at the shower πŸ™‚

20 runningwithsass May 30, 2010 at 6:33 pm

great job on the 8 miles! I so know what you mean about seeing people form high school. Hope it went well!

21 Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 30, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I miss long runs too!! Of course I was never up to your level but I miss my 10 milers!

22 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) May 30, 2010 at 7:20 pm

goood job on the 8 miles!!! I’m training for a marathon with Team in Training and yesterday was our last training run (marathon is a week from today!). As ready as I am to switch things up, I was a little sad!! No more 6am Saturday wake up calls. I might actually miss them!! haha

23 Marissa May 31, 2010 at 9:53 am

Wow, that’s you when you were my age! My last day of sophomore year is on Wednesday… but since classes are over and its just exams left, can’t I just say that its summer already? Hahah…

24 dianacheung May 31, 2010 at 4:02 pm

omg…you and kelly look soo different now! Your ability to have such long friendships say something about your character…I LIKE IT! πŸ˜‰