more ยป" />

Beating the Rainy Afternoon Blues

by Meghann on May 29, 2010

Ghost Dogs comin’ at ya!

Trying to get a clear picture of Maddie and her cousin Oliver is next to impossible, but trust me they had a blast playing all afternoon. ๐Ÿ™‚

My Dad and I escaped our rainy day boredom by heading my sister’s apartment for entertainment.

Kelly entertained us with puzzles, puppy love, and a little Kombucha taste testing.

Can you believe I had never tried kombucha before? I’ve heard too many horror stories of other people sampling the fermented drink that scared me away from even attempting to taste test it in the past.

However, Kelly swore the guava flavor was tasty and as long as I didn’t smell it, that it would taste great.

Bottoms up!

The verdict?

As long as i didn’t smell the drink, it actually it wasn’t bad. The flavor was ok and I enjoyed all the bubbles, but I don’t see myself ever buying a whole kombucha just for me. Besides the actual taste of the drink, the price scares me as well. At close to $4.00 a pop, I’m not sure a drink that is ‘just ok’ is worth the price. ๐Ÿ™‚

For dinner my Dad treated my sister, her boyfriend, and I to dinner in Little Vietnam.

Little Vietnam is an area of town I drive through constantly, but have never actually ate at any of the restaurants. It’s always one of those ‘we really need to try that one time’ type of places, but I never seem to remember when it comes time to pick somewhere to eat.

Tonight my Dad insisted we finally try on of the restaurants and we were all up for the challenge.

We started with veggie spring rolls and bean cakes for our appetizers.

The spring rolls came with a yummy peanut sauce, which I continue to dip any and everything in for the rest of the meal.

The cakes were topped with a bean paste, dried shrimp, chives, and some other things I can’t remember.

I ended up eating three. They were light and kind of spongy. I really liked them… especially in the peanut dip. ๐Ÿ˜‰

One of the great things about vietnamese food is how light every dish is. Nothing is heavily coated in oil and they don’t believe in drenching every meal in sauce. My dish was light and refreshing. I ate all the toppings, but left a good deal of the noodles – there were a ton!

Kelly started screaming the words ‘Cake! Cake! Cake!’ at dinner, so we decided to make one from scratch. After a quick google search I found this recipe for Dark Chocolate Cake online and got to work baking.

I cut the sugar and butter by a third and instead of boiling water I took one of the suggestions offered in a review of the recipe and used hot coffee instead.

We were a bit impatient with the cake and slathered the cream cheese frosting on the cake while it was still very warm.

The icing melted to a big gooey mess, but I think it was better that way.

Mmm… it reminded me of a moist lava cake. Sometimes melted icing is just the way to go. ๐Ÿ™‚

Tomorrow = long run + high school friend’s bridal shower

Good Night!

1 Brynne May 30, 2010 at 1:01 am

Give kombucha another chance – it’s soo good, but definitely an acquired taste!

2 Suburban Sweetheart May 30, 2010 at 1:23 am

That cake looks & sounds amazing! I’ve never had Vietnamese food – it’s one of the genres of food that I just can’t get behind. Everything looks scary! And I’ve never heard of kombucha, but I don’t think I could cough up $4 for “just OK,” either!

3 Dave Mulder May 30, 2010 at 1:26 am

My first kombucha experience was about the same. Then I took a few months off and tried it again. Much better the second time around (knowing what to expect).

4 Bethany May 30, 2010 at 1:49 am

Oh yum, that cake looks Ah-mazing! I’ve been too nervous to try Kombucha juice too. I don’t feel like I’m missing out after what you had to say about it.

5 Nicole May 30, 2010 at 2:27 am

Man! I wish I had read this blog before going out tonight. We went to a Thai Vegetarian restaurant + everything was heavily coated in sauces + oil. Oh Vietnamese restaurants, you will definitely be a part of my future.

Thanks so much! & your dish looks so tasty!!

6 Run Sarah May 30, 2010 at 2:31 am

I love Vietnamese foods, it is always refreshing and not too heavy at all!

7 britchickruns May 30, 2010 at 3:14 am

I’ve never had kombucha either; I know nothing about it other than it’s adrink and a lot of blogs I read seem to be obsessed with it! Following your review I might give it a miss though!!
Have a good run ๐Ÿ™‚

8 theprocessofhealing May 30, 2010 at 8:37 am

Wow that cake looks AMAZING!!!

9 runningwithsass May 30, 2010 at 8:53 am

sounds like a fun afternoon! that cake loks delicious!

10 Dori May 30, 2010 at 10:22 am

Ghost dogs!!! Hahahaha love it! Vietnamese food = yummmmmm

11 Evan Thomas May 30, 2010 at 10:22 am

I can’t believe you never tried kombucha! It’s expensive, but I love it, so I have one maybe 1 a wee as a sort of “treat”. I figure it’s the same as a fancy alcoholic beverage in price

12 Kellie May 30, 2010 at 10:48 am

That sounds like a great rainy day. Fun with the family is the best.

13 Beth May 30, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I *love* Vietnamese spring rolls. There was a Thai restaurant near my apartment when I lived in Chicago that had fantastic Vietnamese spring rolls, and I’ve spent years searching for a suitable replacement.

14 missyrayn May 30, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I’m scared of a drink that people say “just don’t smell it”. I think I’ll stick to non fermented tea ๐Ÿ™‚