My Day

by Meghann on May 26, 2010

Today started like any other.

I checked my e-mail, did some work, had a serving of Peanut Butter Puffins as a snack…

Then I headed to an 11:00 meeting and didn’t see my desk again until 4:30! Yikes!

Yep, it was one of those days…

The 11:00am meeting ended up turning into something much more than it was originally intended to be, so my VP offered to take my supervisor and I to lunch to discuss the details in our original meeting.

We headed to Houstons for our working lunch. I had never been before, but had only heard good things.

There was a bit of a wait, so we grabbed some sodas (club soda for me) from the bar and waited for our names to be called by the water.

The weather was perfect – it was nice to get out of the office!

For lunch I ordered the Ahi Tuna burger.

The burger came with a layer of tarter sauce on both the top and bottom of the bun. I was a little disappointed that the sauce was not advertised on the menu, otherwise I would have asked for it without. I ended up discarding the top half of the bun and eating the burger using the lettuce as make shift top. The burger itself was pretty good, though it could have been a little rarer. I’m not the biggest fan of cooked tuna, I like it to still be rare and pink as possible. πŸ™‚

Instead of fries I opted for steamed broccoli on the side.

The lunch meeting lasted until 2:00.

When I made it back I had to go straight to my make shift recording studio (aka a lap top and microphone in an abandoned office) to record my company’s new IVR and on hold message.

You know that message that plays when you call a company “Thank you for calling XYZ. If you know your party’s extension..” Well, if you ever call my company you will now have the pleasure of listening to my lovely voice. You’ll also hear my voice if you are ever put on hold. πŸ˜‰

Obviously it’s because I have the greatest voice there ever was πŸ˜‰ Or…. because no one else would volunteer to do it. You know – which ever one you choose to believe. πŸ˜‰

Tack on another meeting and all of a sudden it was 4:30!

I raced home to let this lovely face out before hot yoga.

Poor thing had been in her crate all day. I’m such a bad fur Mommy. πŸ™

Hot yoga was of course amazing. A big shout out to Kelly and Sara for joining me for the sweaty session.

At the beginning of the class our teacher asked if we wanted to do a hard class or an easy class. Everyone immediately shouted ‘hard’ and hard it was. It was one quick flow after another after another after another. It felt good.

I was very thankful after all the running around I did today, that dinner was already prepared and waiting for me to simply pieces together once I arrived home.

While I was baking my eggplant sandwich last night, I also made some ‘eggplant nuggets’ that I had thrown in an egg white bath and coated in bread crumbs before baking for 20 minutes at 415. I put them in the fridge last night and heated them up in the microwave when I walked in the door.

A red marinara sauce was the perfect dipping sauce for the nuggets.

With a spinach salad topped with tabouli and raisins.

Dessert was a mix of ricotta, honey, chocolate chips, granola, and strawberries.

I miss this combo. I always forget how much I love ricotta until I randomly buy a container and make all my favorites. This one was a true winner. πŸ™‚

I’m wiped. That was one long day and all I want is my comfy bed and a good pillow.

Good Night!!

1 Evan Thomas May 26, 2010 at 9:28 pm

The more salmon is cooked, the more I start to not like it, to the point where I just can’t eat canned salmon. I just need mine nice and raw like sushi!

2 ks May 26, 2010 at 9:31 pm

aww that breaks my heart to see little maddie in her crate all day πŸ™ just out of curiosity (not criticism), why do you keep her in the crate as opposed to the room — is she destructive? regardless, she is cute as a button!

3 Meghann May 26, 2010 at 9:44 pm

She’s in the crate otherwise she would pee and poop everywhere and eat everything in sight. Trust me the crate is for her own protection.

4 Molly @fuelherup May 26, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I have two huge dogs (a yellow lab and a german shepherd/black lab) and we don’t use crates, but we have a fenced in backyard where they spend the day. And while they can both be indoors by themselves now and know not to go on the carpet or upstairs, the first year or so the yellow lab peed on all of the carpets and chewed up….everything, including the legs of the piano.
So even though a crate seems strange to me because my dogs spend the day while we’re away outside, I can see how it would be dangerous, in an apartment, to leave a dog who would eat everything loose. (She could choke, scratch her mouth, etc.)
Basically, I realize it might seem “controversial” to a few people, but I can see how it’s necessary.

And Houston’s has an amazing veggie burger!

5 caitlin May 26, 2010 at 10:32 pm

maggie is the same way – its for her own safety. i left her alone in the house once and she ate the rug and a CD case.

6 Jess May 27, 2010 at 9:57 am

It’s super important to crate your pup!! Mine ate a cord and got electricuted, poor guy. Luckily, I was walking in the door and he was ok! Very scary!

7 emily May 26, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I’m so glad you made those nuggets, I’ve had that idea in my head for weeks but I keep fogetting! *bookmarking this post*

8 dianacheung May 26, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I like my tuna a lil rare too! It can dry out easily! πŸ™ I had a HORRIBLE day at work…it’s not like “misery loves company” or anything but boy am I glad I’m not the only one!! Ah…rest and Idol…yes?

9 Dori May 26, 2010 at 9:40 pm

I want to call your office! Can I?

I think you have a sweet voice! I remember when you posted your San Diego Marathon video, I was so surprised by how cute your voice was. Long before I ever met you πŸ™‚

10 Meghann May 26, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Did I still have the sweet voice in person? πŸ™‚ I’ll e-mail you the number once it’s live! It should be a couple of days!

11 Dori May 26, 2010 at 9:53 pm

You do, but I knew to expect it!

12 j May 26, 2010 at 9:44 pm

isn’t that crate a little small???

13 Meghann May 26, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Nope, it’s the perfect size. It fits her and she has enough room to stand up and turn around and lay down. Any bigger than she could divide the crate in half and poop & pee on one end and sleep on the other – trust me I have a bigger crate that I put here in and that’s exactly what she does! πŸ™‚

14 Carolyn @ lovinlosing May 27, 2010 at 11:25 am

You’re absolutely right. It should only be large enough for her to lay down in and turn around in. I do keep a gerbil style water bottle on the puppy’s crate, though.

15 Jenny May 26, 2010 at 9:46 pm

You exercised a heck of a lot today lady! I’m impressed!

16 Erin May 26, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Busy days are kind of nice because they make the day go more quickly. I’ve been to Houstons a couple of times–it’s a big hangout for senior citizens up here. πŸ˜‰

17 gwen May 26, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Is maddie’s crate big enough for her, can she lay down in it. I have a shit shu and his crate is double the size for him to lay down and for his water and toys.

18 Meghann May 26, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Yes, she can lay down.

I had a larger crate originally that she was pooping and peeing in, so the person at the pet store reccomended the smaller crate size and it works perfectly. She can stand up, lay down, and doesn’t poop or pee in it.

19 Janelle May 26, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I always wondered about those voices on the other end of the phone – if they were actually a person or some sort of computer generated voice. Nice to know!

20 theprocessofhealing May 26, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Wow what a day!!
Those nuggets are the BEST idea ever though!

21 Kristen May 26, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Ha haa…I laughed out loud that your IVR recording! I had to be the IVR voice-girl at my last company. And I’m sad to say you’re right…it’s not our fabulous voice, just that no one else wanted the job πŸ˜‰

22 fitandfortysomething May 26, 2010 at 9:58 pm

at least you got to be outside and enjoy some of the day-i hate to be inside all day!

23 Mandy May 26, 2010 at 9:59 pm

We did a lot of research on crates when we got our dog six years ago and she was a 6 week old pup. They always recommended the smaller crates! So that they wouldn’t do their business in it!

24 kirsten May 26, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I hear you on the voice recording, I have to record these hour long training sessions for work and I hate it! Your job is lucky you volunteered! πŸ™‚

25 Tiff May 26, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I’m curious but are you on a diet? I’ve noticed that you’ve been decreasing your food intake. I’m worried! =(

26 Hilary May 26, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I had no idea that the smaller crate would be preferable! i had the same thought that it seemed small – but I have a 65 lb golden so I don’t really know anything about small dogs! Very interesting. Just shows you can never make a judgment until you’ve got all the facts

27 Stephanie May 27, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I thought the same thing – but the canines around me are 40, 50, 65, and 100 lbs respectively. That totally makes sense about the size, and taking the furry ones’ crates into perspective, that’s about how their crates look with them inside too. Perspective is funny.

28 Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 26, 2010 at 10:07 pm

It’s so funny for me to see such a small dog crate! We have a bigger one for our 90 lb rottweiler, and get the same questions “is it big enough?” all the freaking time! YES its big enough! They’re supposed to be a safe haven, not a 2nd home!

29 Emilyeatsclean May 26, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Thanks for sharing your ricotta cheese idea…..I have a container that’s been starring at me!

-emily

30 Amy May 26, 2010 at 10:30 pm

I have a JRT too. How long does she spend in her kennel during the week? Mine is in about 7-8 hours. As long as I take her on long walks she’s okay.

31 Meghann May 27, 2010 at 8:18 am

I try to keep her in the crate for no more that 4 or 5 hours at a time, but sometimes it’s longer – like yesterday. This is why it’s important for me to go home at lunch and let her out, other wise she would be in the crate for 9 hours straight every day and that would just break my heart.

32 Paula May 26, 2010 at 10:52 pm

See, we’re all different (and that’s ok), because I would be terrified to leave my dogs outside like Molly does, but I know lots of people do it. *shrugs* My dogs are crate trained and until they were old enough, and reliable enough to have free roam of the house without destroying things, they were crated. And it’s also for the dog’s protection. I’ve heard plenty of horror stories about dogs getting into things (medicines, pesticides) and becoming sick, or worse. πŸ™

33 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] May 26, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Where do you work Miss Meghann? What’s your job?

34 Meghann May 27, 2010 at 8:19 am

I do marketing for a small software compare. πŸ™‚

35 Amy May 26, 2010 at 11:10 pm

We recently just got a new pup. She is a chihuahua and I love her with my heart and soul. We are gone at work and school all day and Bella is in her crate all day too. At first I felt bad, but then I realized what a hazard she is to herself if left to her own devices. The funny thing is now, she actually likes it in there and goes in when we are home! My husband calls it her bedroom. I’m sure Maddie is thrilled when you come home but I understand your purpose in keeping her there. Bella also sleeps in hers at night until she is bigger and I can convice hubby to let her sleep with us, lol. Where does Maddie sleep? You are a great dog mommie!

36 Meghann May 27, 2010 at 8:19 am

Maddie sleeps with me. She’s my cuddle buddy!

37 Lorin May 26, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I have a question. Sometimes for meals I just don’t feel hungry but I still eat because supposedly a person is supposed to eat every 3 to 5 hours. Do you suggest waiting to eat till your hungry (which may be 6 hours) or just eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner even if you’re not hungry?

38 Meghann May 27, 2010 at 8:20 am

That’s a tough question. For me – I try to eat every 3-5 hours, but if I’m not hungry then I’m not hungry and I’ll skip the snack and move on. I say listen to your body.

39 VeggieGirl May 27, 2010 at 1:10 am

That crate IS the perfect size and you know best for your own dog, Meghann!! Don’t let folks tell you any different – and little Maddie thanks you for being safe πŸ˜€

40 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) May 27, 2010 at 1:22 am

Aww, your pup is so adorable!

Since you took pics at lunch I’m assuming that your job knows you have a blog? I’m always curious since I have a full time job too, what do they think of it?

41 Sarah (cocoanutshakes) May 27, 2010 at 1:28 am

Oohh I can’t stand when restaurants sneak in some sort of unwanted sauce. And I always feel too bad to send it back since “technically” I didn’t ask for it without. The worst is when I find a big glob of mayo. Totally agree on the raw tuna!

42 britchickruns May 27, 2010 at 3:01 am

How lovely to get taken out to lunch like that, sitting outside, with nice drinks….better than an office πŸ˜€
I LOVE that aubergine nugget idea, how cool! But Meghann, where are your carbs!? πŸ˜›

43 maintainingthathealthybalance May 27, 2010 at 7:01 am

That dessert looks delish! Thanks for the idea I will have to try it sometime

44 Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 27, 2010 at 7:10 am

I love Ahi tuna burgers! πŸ™‚ Yum

Jenn

45 rebecca lustig May 27, 2010 at 7:50 am

i loveee pb puffins <3

46 Kate May 27, 2010 at 7:58 am

You swam, cycled, and went to hot yoga?!?! I know you are trying to drop a few pounds but that seems sort of excessive? Are you freaking out about the weight?

47 Meghann May 27, 2010 at 8:16 am

It has nothing to do with the weight.

I’m starting to train for an olympic triathlon and I’m trying to do hot yoga at least three times a week with my 40 day pass. This involves a lot of two a day work outs. Yesterday involved a little more of a work out than others, but if you compare to how other triathletes train it’s pretty normal.

48 Katie May 27, 2010 at 8:25 am

You’re spot on about the crate – we just got a puppy ourselves and we did extensive research. Since our little guy will end up being upwards of 70 lbs, we have the biggest one available but it’s divided so that he has enough to sit, stretch, and lay down. That’s all the pup needs or else you end up with the pee/poop issue. You are doing just fine πŸ™‚ Maddie is a cutie, btw!

49 Juli D. May 27, 2010 at 8:40 am

Dogs LOVE their crates and it’s time for them to sleep – don’t feel too bad about leaving her in there. πŸ™‚ You could always put something soft on the bottom for her so she’s more comfy or give her a stuffed Kong so she has something to do if she’ll be in there for a longer time than normal.

50 Beth @ DiningAndDishing May 27, 2010 at 8:56 am

Oh my, I LOVE that dessert idea! Ricotta is never something I utilize in sweet treats at home but I always love it when I’m dining out. Thanks for the idea! πŸ™‚

51 PhillyGirlRuns May 27, 2010 at 8:59 am

Wow, the crate sparked so many comments! We also have small dogs with perfectly-sized small crates, and they’re totally, 100% essential. My husband thought he’d “be nice” and leave them out of their crates when he ran out to the store one time…he was gone for about 20 minutes and one of our dogs wigged out and peed on like 4 things bc he was stressed and scared being left out “alone.” Crates are such a safe haven for dogs.

Every time I read about hot yoga I want to go…definitely getting a pass this summer.

52 Lauren @ Eat, Drink, and Be Hopeful May 27, 2010 at 9:03 am

I’ve never been to Houstons, but it always looks so nice. I also like my tuna rare. That is funny you are the voice on the phone, because I do that at my company as well. I have to record all the messages for day and night time and on hold. It makes me feel some what like a celebrity! πŸ˜‰

53 MelissaH May 27, 2010 at 9:05 am

I used to have a pug and had to keep him in a small crate just like you do. I agree that yours is the perfect size for your pup. You don’t want to be cleaning poo out of it all night! Your pup seems very happy and healthy so I wouldn’t worry about the crating πŸ™‚

54 Tina May 27, 2010 at 9:12 am

Awww! Look at that face!

55 Meghann May 27, 2010 at 9:14 am

Ha! that face is saying – ” Mama why are you taking a photo of me? Let me out of this crate dang it!” πŸ™‚

56 mindy May 27, 2010 at 9:48 am

The eggplant nuggets look delish! I will definitely have to try some!

57 Jessica May 27, 2010 at 9:55 am

You will be so thankful you crate your dog in the long run. we used to leave our two dogs loose and more times than not they would have accidents. πŸ™ Once we started crating them(together-in a large kennel) they don’t have accidents. It’s funny because when we put our shoes on(of if to them it sounds like we are about to leave), they often times will run into the crate and stay there, even if we are not leaving.. haha! It’s become routine and they are very comfortable with it. We just say, “go to your kennel” and they go. πŸ™‚ We try and keep them out of the crate unless we leave the house…

Do you ever put a blanket on anything down to make it more comfy? We have a blanket in ours and the dogs love it.. they could sleep all day! πŸ™‚

58 Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy May 27, 2010 at 9:56 am

Mmm..ricotta for dessert!

Back in my “crazy diet” days, I would mix ricotta with cocoa powder and sweetener. It was GOOD! I still get cravings for it!

59 Tracey @ TropicalHappiness May 27, 2010 at 9:59 am

I also thought the crate looked a little small, but sounds like you have tried the bigger one. All she needs to do lay down and turn around. I definitely think a smaller one is better so that Maggie doesn’t have to sleep next to her poop/pee all day. Plus, as she gets older (when she is two or three), she might calm down more so that you can leave her out all day. When (if) that time comes, you want her to be used to holding her bowels all day. If dogs are used to it, they can go many hours without pooping/peeing, so you would be able to leave her out. If she is used to pooping/peeing in her crate, you’d probably have to leave her in a crate forever. Otherwise, she’d relieve herself all over the house.

Wow, that’s the longest comment I’ve ever left about dogs’ bodily functions!! LOL!

60 Olivia @ Blissful Runner May 27, 2010 at 10:10 am

Um, wow. Your dinner looks amazing. I have multiple boxes of tabouleh and couscous in my pantry, but for whatever reason haven’t busted them out yet. I think you just gave me the kick in the pants I needed!

61 RhodeyGirl May 27, 2010 at 10:32 am

That late night snack sounds amazzzinnnngggg!

You are so hard core with your two a days! Love it!

62 Jocelyn May 27, 2010 at 11:16 am

Awww..that crate looks so small…does she do her business in that and then lay in it!??! Just curious lol..

63 Lauren @ Running Examiner May 27, 2010 at 11:31 am

Aw you are not a bad fur mommy in the least, Meghann! Your pup has a great life.

I find it interesting that some people appear to be very misinformed about crates? My boyfriend and I have slightly different work schedules, so our dog is usually out of his crate. However, when we’re gone for any prolonged length of time, we crate him. Crating is very humane–dogs are den creatures! We don’t crate our dog because he’s destructive or untrustworthy, but he’s only 10 months old, and we feel more secure knowing he’s safe and content in his crate. He sleeps when he’s in there, or plays with his toys. As long as a dog is getting plenty of love, attention, and exercise when not crated, crate training is an excellent thing.

64 a May 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I don’t think anything is wrong with crate training . Its the safest for everyone. Especially the dog.

I have an almost 4 month old American Bulldog and she is in her crate at night and when we aren’t home. Otherwise she gets into things and relieves herself in the house.