Week Three

by Meghann on May 24, 2010

Today began week three of my 40 day Hot Yoga pass. I promise to give a full review once the 40 days are officially up, but let’s just say I’ve really been enjoying it. I was at work this afternoon literally counting down the hours until I could hit up my yoga mat for a serious sweat session – I think I’ve found new addiction. πŸ˜‰

I attended this evening’s class with my beautiful sister Kelly. It was nice to catch up with her before 15 minutes before class. I never get to see my sister – I miss her!

The class itself was a great. We started slow with some light stretching and then amped it up with a lot of fast paced flows. The class was quick and painless. The worst part was the pigeon pose we held on each leg at the end of class. Pigeon pose gets me every time! My IT bands are tight and holding pigeon for so long always leaves me close to tears.

Before class I had a Simply Harvest Quaker Bar.

I had a great idea for dinner tonight – Nut Butter Crusted Sweet Potatoes

I followed the Nut Butter Crusted Fries recipe, only in place of the parsnip or carrot I used sweet potato cubes and smothered it in bbq sauce. I was in heaven. Just as I had imagined the nu butter coating worked beautifully with the natural sweetness of the sweet potato.

I wonder what I should try next with the nut butter crust? Okra? Yucca? Rutabaga? Eggplant? The sky’s the limit!

My plate needed something green. Enter steamed snap peas.

Please excuse the poor quality of photos. I was starving and the plate looked too good to wait. πŸ™‚

I had a couple pieces of fun size chocolate for dessert.

I can barely keep my eyes open – time for bed!

Good night!

1 Brittany May 24, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Nut butter crusted sweet potatoes sound amazing! I’m excited to hear what you think of the 40 day yoga pass.

2 Jenny May 24, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Hot yoga looks so fun! I have to try it sometime:)

3 Erin May 24, 2010 at 10:00 pm

I’ve heard great things from everyone who has done hot yoga so after my move, I want to find a studio and try it out.

4 Melissa Cari May 24, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Clearly the possibilities are endless when it comes to nut butter! Bring on more combos! I need to try the sweet potatoes asap.

5 Julie @ Pickley Pear May 24, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Good luck with yoga! Even though it’s only day 3 I bet you feel great!

6 Bethany May 24, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I love the idea of nut butter crusted ANYTHING! I have half a sweet potato hanging out in my fridge and might give this a shot later. How experienced with yoga were you before jumping into hot yoga? It seems like it’s so intense that I get a little bit intimidated by it being a beginner.

7 Meghann May 25, 2010 at 8:49 am

I am such a yoga novice! I have been practicing on and off for about a year, but nothing serious or very regular before my first Hot Yoga class. My sister had really never taken a real yoga class at all before and fell in love with her first class at the hot yoga studio. I think hot yoga is definitely something beginners should not be afraid of.

8 Lisa @ bakebikeblog May 24, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I am SO wanting to try hot yoga!!!

9 Kellie May 24, 2010 at 10:16 pm

I need to try hot yoga. I need to see if there is a special around here so that I can give it a try.

10 Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy May 24, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Those sweet potatoes look awesome!

I just recently got into normal yoga, so I might wait on the hot yoga until I feel a bit more comfortable. But it sounds like it would be really relaxing!

11 Hayley May 24, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Yoga is so addictive. If you think you’re hooked now, you’ll get even more hooked the more you do!

12 Rachael May 24, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I love hot yoga – Bikram especially – pretty seriously addicted, which means major budgeting in every other aspect of my life….the joys of working with grassroots non-profits! Enjoy!

13 theprocessofhealing May 24, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I love almond butter with a sweet potato so I can only IMAGINE how good that must be!! How much nut butter did you use and how long did you cook them?

14 Meghann May 25, 2010 at 8:51 am

I explained the whole process in this post here http://graduatemeghann.com/2010/05/16/saturday-fun-day-sunday-rest-day/ for exact measurements check out the original recipe at Angela’s blog http://ohsheglows.com/2010/04/16/these-fries-will-change-your-life/

15 Lindsay May 24, 2010 at 11:53 pm

I’m glad you’re enjoying hot yoga! I want to like it. I went once (it’s not offered in my town, so I had to wait until I was on vacation), and it was rough. I know that at the beginning, they say you’ll feel weird, but I couldn’t tell the difference between OK-weird and bad-weird, so I kind of backed off. Do you have any suggestions for preparing? I know hydrating beforehand is a must. Do you think that you being super fit helped you acclimate?

16 Meghann May 25, 2010 at 8:54 am

I would suggest drinking LOTS of water before hand! I know you’ve heard it before, but being hydrated is the key to knocking that ‘weird’ feeling. πŸ™‚

I’ve discovered at my studio people of all shapes and sizes practice hot yoga regularly, so I wouldn’t say being ‘super fit’ has anything to adjusting. Just flow at your own pace and do what your body can do. Listen to the instructor to guide you. πŸ™‚

17 Marina May 25, 2010 at 1:13 am

I would love to try hot yoga, I adore power yoga, so I’m sure I would like this too. Although, I’m not so sure my body could handle it :))
yummy, merci chocolate!

18 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) May 25, 2010 at 2:06 am

Pigeon pose has been saving my life during my marathon training! My IT bands are so sad and pigeon makes them very happy.

I just bought parsnips, I really need to make those fries!!

19 britchickruns May 25, 2010 at 2:33 am

Oh nut butter + sweet potato – that does sound good!!
Poor quality photos!? I still think they’re so sharp and beautiful!
Have a good Tuesday πŸ™‚

20 britishbride May 25, 2010 at 4:49 am

Hey Meghann

Just a question – I should probably know the answer to – are you a vegetarian? I am considering becoming a veggie (or trying to) and if so, wondering when you made the transition?

Thanks

Julia

21 Meghann May 25, 2010 at 8:55 am

I am not a vegetarian, nor do I have plans to become one anytime soon. I love sampling, tasting, and experiencing all types of food way too much to want to give meat up.

22 britishbride May 26, 2010 at 8:09 am

Cool thank you! I see you have lots of yummy recipes though!

Julia

23 flowyogilates May 25, 2010 at 7:41 am

I love there MercΓ­- Bars too…. they are so yummy…..
And I like Hot Yoga…. I did some nice Hot-Flow-Yoga when I was in Thailand and I also tried Bikram here at Vienna… liked the Flow much more because they donΒ΄t vary much at the Bikram- classes and I like variation

24 dianacheung May 25, 2010 at 7:54 am

what a light dinner!! I would STILL be starving after that tri this weekend!! And I’ve seen some bloggers “nut butter crust” a ton of stuff!! Can’t wait to try it with sweet potatoes!

25 Meghann May 25, 2010 at 8:56 am

I wouldn’t call that a light dinner. πŸ™‚ A whole sweet potato, 3 tablespoons of peanut butter, olive oil, green beans?!? I would call that a very filling meal! πŸ™‚

26 Sarah May 25, 2010 at 8:11 am

Hot yoga IS addictive! I’ve been to 4 classes this week, but I don’t have a 40-day pass. I have to pay for every individual class! (It’s worth it, in my opinion.)

I’m glad to hear the sweet potato fries were a success! I’ve been thinking about trying that particular combo:-).

27 kristina @goodnweird May 25, 2010 at 9:59 am

I totally hear you on pidgeon. I had an instructor come over and try to get the bent part of my leg inline with my knee and I almost cried right there. My legs always feel so much better though afterwards πŸ™‚ Glad to hear you are enjoying the baptiste style so much. i love it. i just wish Vermont had a studio.

28 Kelly May 25, 2010 at 10:28 am

Ah pigeon pose, I’ve become an expert on that one since being in physical therapy.

29 Kati May 26, 2010 at 11:13 am

I have recently become obsessed with hot yoga and think it is definitely improving my running. I have been going for about once a week for the last month & it is an amazing workout and experience. Good luck and enjoy your time there…I’m sure you will end up loving it.

I recently put a post on my new blog about hot yoga. Please check it out if you have time. Thanks!