A Mini Q&A

by Meghann on May 24, 2010

Half of Monday done! Bring on part 2! πŸ˜‰

I’ve realized that all of my snacks have been very CARB based lately. I want to try and break myself of relying on such heavy doses of carbs for snacks and try to work in some protein, fresh veggies, and healthy fats into my routine as well.

I experimented this morning with a slice of cheese and cherry tomatoes as my snack.

IMG_7948

Mmm… I wrapped the pieces of cheese around the cherry tomatoes and ate it like a roll up. Delicious. The snack was light and refreshing, but I felt like I was missing a cracker. I <3 carbs.

Lunch was the rest of the great pizza I made on Saturday night.

IMG_7950

The 2 day old crust was nice and chewy after a spin in the microwave. It may look like a small serving, but looks can be deceiving -  these three pieces were very filling. I think it has to do with the array of colorful toppings. πŸ™‚

IMG_7952

Your Questions Answered!

TRIquestion2

Question #1 Answer: I bought my bike from a guy my Dad found on Craigslist back in January 09. I originally wanted to purchase a used bike, but had the hardest time finding one for a decent price (you can read about my hunt here). After crying on the phone with my Dad he found a guy on Craigslist that built bikes in his garage. I picked my bike up later that week and was a very happy girl (recap here).

My road bike was CHEAP – both in price and quality. It’s perfect for a beginner rider like myself who has no plans of taking it out for a hilly 100 mile ride anytime soon, but I doubt any experience cyclists would be too impressed by it. πŸ™‚

Question#2 Answer: The Pearl Izumi Women’s Tri shorts were probably the best impulse purchase I’ve ever made!

phpThumb.php

I was at the bike store on Friday night buying a bike pump and saw the shorts. Without even thinking about it – or trying them on – I bought a pair for my tri. On Sunday I broke every racing rule out there by wearing them for the first time the day of the race, but they worked!

• The tri shorts didn’t weigh me down in the water
  • They dried quickly
  • I never felt like I was wearing a wet diaper
  • AND they kept my butt nice and cushioned for the 13 mile bike ride

I would highly recommend a pair for any aspiring tri-athlete and would happily purchase another pair in a heart beat!

TRIquestion3

My tri was SMALL! Maybe a couple of hundred competitors? I was in the 4th wave of swimmers and by the time I got out of the water I think the last swimmer of the last wave was already halfway done with their swim.

TRIquestion4

Pizza is hands down my favorite pre-race meal! It’s a good way to get all the carbs in without over doing it. I like to load mine up with as much protein as possible and a give it a good dose of healthy fats. I always sleep well and wake up ready to go. Of course, I also have a stomach of steel and could probably eat a slice of pizza at the start line and be totally fine the whole race.

TRIquestion1

Why, yes it is! πŸ˜‰

I bought this top at the Lululemon Outlet the other weekend and LOVE IT! I want to go back and purchase it in every color. It’s cute AND functional!

Have any other questions? Let me know and I’ll do another Q&A post!

1 Evan Thomas May 24, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Pizza is your favorite pre-run meal? I would have never guessed πŸ˜‰ I <3 carbs, too.

2 britchickruns May 24, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Good questions! I’ve wondered about a lot of them myself (I think you’ve fueled a desire to want to do a triathlong….I must focus – marathon 1st!!).
You probably want a lot of carbs cos you’re so active- I know my carb intake is much more the harder I exercise, it’s just what my body craves πŸ™‚
Have a good afternoon πŸ™‚

3 britchickruns May 24, 2010 at 1:32 pm

*triathlon – I’m tired!

4 peanutbutterfingers May 24, 2010 at 1:37 pm

carbs are my best friend. πŸ™‚ they make me happy. especially the refined ones. πŸ˜‰

5 emily May 24, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I’d love to know your tips for getting the swim cap on (and keeping it on)! I think that might be the hardest part of swim workouts for me πŸ˜€

6 Mary May 24, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I love pizza as a pre race meal too!! I definitely carbed up on it before my last half marathon.

What kind of a training program did you follow for your tri? did you follow one or did you just do what you wanted in a balance between the swim bike and run πŸ™‚

7 Rachael May 24, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Love the Lululemon top. It’s probably a good thing there’s not a store anywhere near me..

8 Liz May 24, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Thanks for shorts recommendation – I think I will pick those up for my tri. Did the sports bra dry quickly too?
What’s your next race going to be?
I know you have been doing a lot of yoga lately – has this helped make you stronger at all? It’s hard to balance the tri training, weights and yoga for me!

9 Erin May 24, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Cute top! I’m currently searching for a bike and it’s just so difficult/frustrating on Craigslist. Half of the people I contact turn out to be scammers, the other half either have already sold their bike or have other issues. πŸ™ I almost want to just shell out a couple hundred $$ and be done with it.

10 Kelly May 24, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I would have been so nervous swimming in a white sports bra, haha!

11 hundredtenpounds May 24, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Those shorts look great. I’m a Pearl fan and love my bike shorts. Are the tri shorts padded for biking too?

12 Meghann May 25, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Yes, but very minimal padding so you can swim in them as well.

13 Jenny May 24, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I hear ya! I’m a carb lover, too!

14 Natalie May 24, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I love reading Q&A posts! Usually I don’t have any questions, but all of this triathlon talk has inspired something in me I guess. πŸ™‚
Best advice for someone that’s never even considered doing a triathlon? How much experience should we have riding a bike or swimming before we even think about beginning training? What’s the most crucial piece of advice you would give about the training process? Or what would you say is one piece of gear/accessory/clothing that while it’s optional it totally made the experience a lot better? (Like those shorts! I had no idea they made shorts just for triathlons.)

15 Jen May 24, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Pizza is my favorite pre-race dinner, too!

Question: Did you ever post your tri training plan? I’m going to try my first tri in a few weeks and have found some training plans online, but they don’t work for me b/c I want to keep my running milelage up (I run about 30 mpw and most plans I’ve found call for 10-15 mpw). Did you just stick to your regular running schedule and add in 1 or 2 bike rides/ cycle class and swims per week? Thanks Meghann πŸ™‚

16 sunnytropic May 24, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Haha I know my Lululemon πŸ™‚

I think I am going to the Lululemon outlet next week when I’m in town after I hit Blizzard Beach for the day. (thanks for letting me know that’s your favorite Orlando water park too!).

17 jbdoxey May 24, 2010 at 2:36 pm

So, my question doesn’t have so much to do with Tri-training as endurance training in general. I’m running my first 1/2 marathon this weekend, and have spent a good portion of my day researching what to do, in terms of exercise and eating the week before. While at work. While chugging water and eating (carbo-loading? maybe nervous eating?). How many miles would you recommend runnign the week before, and have you ever exercised (yoga, running, bike, or elliptical) the DAY before a race? I do cardio (spinning or running) every day, so it seems unnecessary in my mind to take a day off prior to the race, but everybody else is recommending it.

18 Hillary May 24, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Hi Meghann! I’ve also been on the hunt for a bike for my first tri. I live in the Orlando area and was wondering if you still have the contact information for the guy who built your bike – sounds like a great deal and I’m definitely interested in talking to him. Thank you!!

Congrats on your race yesterday!

19 Meghann May 25, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Sorry, I don’t remember the contact information. My Dad pretty much took care of everything.

20 D May 24, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Have you ever considered going vegetarian? I think you have a wonderful diet and obviously your meals tend to center around vegetables, but do you ever think you’ll make the full transition?

21 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com May 24, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Great questions! I’m doing a tri in July and have tons of questions, but most of them are for the race organizers. There’s not a lot of information on the race site.

22 Casey May 24, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Congrats on the Tri!!

That pizza still looks delicious the next day. I need to try that before my next race.

23 fitandfortysomething May 24, 2010 at 3:44 pm

great advice Meghann!

24 Melissa Cari May 24, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Such great advice Meghann! I would love to do a tri…but I can’t get past the swimming part. I’d rather swim in alligator filled lakes than the bodies of water near me! Also – obviously you didn’t like being kicked/hurt during the swim part…is that the norm during tris? That would really scare me!

25 Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 24, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I love carbs, too!! Fats + protein just don’t fill me up the same way. That pizza looks just as good days later. YUM

Jenn

26 thewhatkateateblog May 24, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Congrats on your Tri! I did one on Saturday πŸ™‚ I love them!

27 Kelly May 24, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Carbs ROCK!

28 missyrayn May 24, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I like that you explained your shorts. I was so confused about you wearing them in the water.

29 Katherine: What About Summer? May 24, 2010 at 6:14 pm

You A’ed my Q’s. Great to read; thanks!

I love that grape and cherry tomatoes are coming into season finally (wasn’t it dreadful when the tomato crops were damaged a few weeks ago)

30 Courtney May 24, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Love the sports bra- I wish Lululemon wasn’t so expensive!! πŸ™

31 Lisa @ bakebikeblog May 24, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Isn’t leftover pizza just the BEST!!!!

32 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) May 25, 2010 at 8:04 am

I love protein-filled snacks, they always hold me over better than ones that are just carbs. I’ve been working on getting more protein and fat into my breakfast lately, fats hold me over best!