Kitchen Disasters

It’s FRIDAY! Yippeee!!

• Tonight – Iron Man 2
  • Tomorrow – Aquatica
  • Sunday – Sprint Triathlon

Bring it on!

I took off like a bat out of hell this morning on my 6 mile run. πŸ˜‰

Scratch that – I stumbled out of bed and ran a leisurely 6 mile run to the Spring Awakening soundtrack while resisting the urge to break out in song and dance (I’ve done it before).

The 6 miles was the longest run I’ve done in a while and it felt soooo good. I wish I had time this weekend to get a really good long run in, but I don’t see that happening. Le Sigh.

Breakfast was a beautiful bowl of colors.

IMG_7687

• 1/2 cup Shredded Wheat
  • 1/2 cup Puffins
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Cinnamon H2h
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries
  • Almond Butter

IMG_7673

I love pretty bowls like these. They always taste just as good as they look. πŸ™‚

IMG_7679

Last night my twin brother posted the following photo on his Facebook page  with the caption β€˜Oops.’

I couldn’t help, but burst out laughing when I saw it. I didn’t know such a thing was possible!

This is the same twin bro who is in his third year of medical school and probably still has the same pots and pans we each received as one of those $19.95 Wal-Mart specials when we graduated high school seven years ago. Classic!

Have you ever had a kitchen disaster like my brother did?

I can’t tell you the amount of times I’ve has plastic melt to the stove top, but I think the story Derek’s mom told me is an even better one.The other week Derek came home late one night after hanging out with some friends and decided to make Au Gratin potatoes (I know – random, right?).

Anyways he put them in the oven, sat on the couch, and proceeded to fall asleep. FIVE hours later he woke up and suddenly remembered the potatoes. They were as black as black could be, but luckily there was no fire. I’m sure it wasn’t a funny story then, but it’s a good one to laugh about now. πŸ™‚

1 Evan Thomas May 21, 2010 at 9:14 am

Haha, I didn’t know that was possible, either!
I think I’ve had some awful microwaved egg scenarios where they exploded in my face. Not fun

2 britchickruns May 21, 2010 at 9:15 am

Lol I love kitchen disaster stories! My mum once cooked a massive lasagne for the family, she’d spent hours on it – as they walked down the path, she got it out the oven, and the dish split in half and it went EVERYWHERE. Floor + oven!! It was horrible…

3 liv4change May 21, 2010 at 9:15 am

Oh my word!! What did he do to that pot!!!??? πŸ™‚
Have you been to Aquatica before? The fiance and I have talked about going but we aren’t sure if it’s worth the money. I love marine animals so I’d love to know what you think about the park!!

4 Meghann May 21, 2010 at 10:23 am

I’ve never been! I’ll do a full review after my visit tomorrow!

5 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete May 21, 2010 at 9:16 am

How does that even happen? lol! Oh yes, I’ve burned many plastic spatulas on the stove. In addition, I’ve also caught the marshmallows on the sweet potatoes on fire 3 times, yes 3 times, for Thanksgiving!

6 chasingthenow May 21, 2010 at 9:22 am

I’ve had my fair share of kitchen disasters, but nothing nearly as bad as the above! I never even thought of that being possible!

7 fitandfortysomething May 21, 2010 at 9:27 am

sounds like a great weekend planned….your run sounded great and your bfast is so colorful! poor brother-scary too though-the house must have reaked like plastic-ugh!

8 Meg May 21, 2010 at 9:41 am

Ahh I saw you in the new issue of SHAPE this morning πŸ˜€ So exciting!!!!

Your weekend sounds awesome – I’d love to see Ironman, but I’ve gotta see the first one first πŸ˜‰ I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve melted things on the stove…haha!

Happy Friday!
Meg

9 Meghann May 21, 2010 at 10:23 am

You did?!?!?! Can you take a photo and send it to me?!?! I haven’t seen it yet! πŸ™‚

10 Meg May 21, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Just emailed it to ya πŸ™‚

11 Marina May 21, 2010 at 9:42 am

Amazing weekend plans!
I am the queen of kitchen disasters. Few days ago, I destroyed a glass dish in a microwave while making popcorn. It just went poof, and fell apart πŸ™

12 Anna May 21, 2010 at 10:30 am

Oh LORD!! That looks bad!!!

I’ll be interested to see if you like Iron Man 2– I LOVED the first one, and the second one has been getting less than stellar reviews πŸ™

13 Ellen May 21, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I saw Iron Man 2 and liked it. The new cast members are great.

14 Heather @ Side of Sneakers May 21, 2010 at 10:36 am

Hahaaa how does that even happen?!

15 Melissa S. May 21, 2010 at 10:40 am

hahahahhaa…your brother cracks me up. i wonder what he wanted to make in that ill fit pan…

16 Mary May 21, 2010 at 10:43 am

uh… looks like it’s time for some new pots and pans!

17 biz319 May 21, 2010 at 10:46 am

My twin sister, when we lived together, put a tea kettle on our electric stove and forgot all about it. All the water boiled away. Instead of waiting to let the pot cool, she tried to remove it from the stove and the who top of the stove cracked! That cost us $250 of our security deposit!

I still haven’t watched this weeks episode of Glee! Plan on doing that over the weekend πŸ˜€

18 Claire May 21, 2010 at 10:46 am

When my dad went to visit my mom’s parents for the first time, he put a pot of water on the stove to make some tea, and then totally forgot about it (I think my mom and her mom were out for a bit). When he remembered, he ran into the kitchen only to see that the kettle had COMPLETELY melted – some of it had even fallen onto the kitchen floor which my mom’s parents had just had redone – it was so hot that there was a huge whole in the kitchen floor. Can you imagine how embarrassed he must have been? At least she still married him πŸ™‚

19 Caitlin in MD May 21, 2010 at 10:53 am

OMG, my boyfriend did the same thing with frozen chicken wings a couple years ago. We came home late one night after, uh…partying, and he put the wings in the oven and then proceeded to promptly pass out. I woke up the next morning thinking, WHAT is that SMELL?!?! Yeah. The wings, in a 450 degree oven for like, 8 hours. The house smelled for DAYS. To be honest, its not that funny when I really think about it because it could’ve been way worse than just a stove full of black, rock-hard wings…

20 Kristen May 21, 2010 at 10:56 am

My kitchen disaster:

One time in college, to brown the top of a pizza, I put the oven on broil… when I reached in to get the pizza out, the oven mit caught on fire, so of course I panicked and pulled my hand out, leaving the burning oven mit inside the oven!

I screamed for help and my b/f at the time calmly shut off the stove and poured water over it, fortunatley no damage except soggy pizza and a burned oven mit!

21 katiek May 21, 2010 at 11:02 am

Ha ha I’ve burnt some cheap walmart pans but never to create a hole! In college my roomm ate thought it would be ok to put a hot pocket in the microwave for 30 minutes instead of 3, so that she could go talk on the phone. Yes it was 2:30 am and we were drunk. I think I noticed about 15 minutes later because of all the smoke!

22 Ellen May 21, 2010 at 1:16 pm

An old boss put a frozen meal in the microwave for 55 minutes instead of 5! She had a habit of walking away while things were cooking and no one noticed until the microwave shorted out and black smoke filled the office. Almost caught the wall and counter on fire. Very scary.

23 katiek May 21, 2010 at 11:02 am

Ha ha I’ve burnt some cheap walmart pans but never to create a hole! In college my room mate thought it would be ok to put a hot pocket in the microwave for 30 minutes instead of 3, so that she could go talk on the phone. Yes it was 2:30 am and we were drunk. I think I noticed about 15 minutes later because of all the smoke!

24 missyrayn May 21, 2010 at 11:04 am

I was cooking and had the towel too close to the flame (my pans need something to hold the handle to not burn myself) and it went up in flames. Ahhhh!

25 Erin May 21, 2010 at 11:07 am

Wow, what was he cooking?!

26 Sarah for Real May 21, 2010 at 11:19 am

Haha, that’s awesome. I’ve lit a pot holder on fire before after turning on the wrong burner on my ceramic top stove. Oops!

27 Nekeisha May 21, 2010 at 11:21 am

I once put on a pot of water to boil and then the phone rang so I proceeded to have a very indepth conversation. Luckily there was on a burnt pot and a lot of smoke. I was 14/15 but sister still love to tell the story of how I can burn water, she was the only eye witness. Think I can hire somebody?????

28 hundredtenpounds May 21, 2010 at 11:24 am

WOW! I’ve never seen that before. That would be quite scary! Luckily, the only kitchen disasters I’ve had (knock on wood) was dropping food on the floor!

29 katie May 21, 2010 at 11:38 am

the exact same thing happened to a friend of mine in college – i’m actually happy to see that someone else did it too πŸ˜‰

30 Stephanie May 21, 2010 at 11:41 am

I was 15 and trying to make German pancakes in a Pyrex dish. My mom always melted the butter in the dish on the stove so I did too. And then I burnt the butter. So I went to the sink the rinse out the dish and start over. Without thinking, I put the hot dish under the cold stream of water. Do you know what happens to glass when it goes through sudden temperature changes? It SHATTERS! Everywhere. I instinctively stepped back right before it happened which is amazing since I didn’t get a scratch at all.

31 Lizz @ leading the good life May 21, 2010 at 11:54 am

Some friends of mine did the classic ‘fall asleep while the frozen pizza is still in the oven’ move. There was soooo much smoke damage and the oven had to be replaced. The ironic (and embarrassing!) thing is that 2 firefighters lived in that house!! They were not responsible for the pizza, but they sure got a razzing when the fire department showed up!!

32 Nikky May 21, 2010 at 11:58 am

About three months ago my bf stayed home sick from work, and around 1 decided to cook some fries to snack on (using oil, since he was home alone and I prohibit deep-friend fries cause they gross me out). I receiving the following text messages:

“set the kitchen on fire.”
“flour doesn’t put out grease fires.”

Insert frantic response from me, a girl who’s watched her house burn to the ground before.

“corn starch did it. wall’s black but all is ok.”

Yea… went home to a stove and floor COVERED in flour and corn starch. My black stove was totally white. It was both disastrous and hilarious.

33 Rose May 21, 2010 at 11:59 am

This cracks me up. I think I am going to set up a post for tomorrow about my worst kitchen disaster ever. The time that I set the oven on fire. Good times!

34 Jessie (Vegan-minded) May 21, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Ha! I didn’t know it was possible to melt a pan like that. Luckily, I haven’t had too many of my own kitchen disasters! πŸ™‚

35 Samantha @ Food Edu May 21, 2010 at 12:35 pm

That’s funny. I have yet to have any major kitchen disasters! Iron Man 2–I’ve been wanting to see that also.

36 Katherine: What About Summer? May 21, 2010 at 12:36 pm

My mom burned a pot once when I was a kid and I thought it was great! It was the best thing to happen [as far as I was concerned] because I got to keep it to play with and fill with dirt.

My kitchen disasters only involve burned food; the appliances and I have pretty nice relationships.

37 theprocessofhealing May 21, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Oh wow!! I didn’t know a pot could do that! I once stuck something metal in the microwave (smart, right?), which resulted in pretty much a ball of lightening in the microwave… haha..

38 Sarah (Enjoying One Meal at a Time) May 21, 2010 at 12:53 pm

All those video ideas sound good to me! I tried overnight oats for the first time yesterday but they didn’t turn out like I’d hoped πŸ™ I’ll have to give them another try.

39 runnerforever May 21, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I haven’t had Puffins in forever, the PB flavor are soooo good. I think I know what I need to add to my grocery list πŸ™‚

40 Lauren @ Running Examiner May 21, 2010 at 1:14 pm

One day in high scool, I was making chocolate chip cookies and forgot to add one key ingredient (I think it was eggs?) Anyway, I noticed the batter was looking very thin, but being the genius I am, I shaped it into cookies and put the sheet in the oven. Fifteen minutes later, wouldn’t you know the cookies have coalesced into one massive, runny cookie, overflowing onto the oven rack, the floor of the oven…everywhere. My mom was SO pissed at me.

41 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com May 21, 2010 at 1:16 pm

WoW!! Scary.

42 Kelly May 21, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Haha my roommate in college once put a piece of pizza on a paper towel, put it in the toaster over and ran upstairs to change. She lit our toaster over on fire.

43 runningwithsass May 21, 2010 at 2:01 pm

OMG how did that even happen?!? lol!
love the colors in your breakfast!

44 Christyne May 21, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Are you going to aquatica as part of your discovery cove tickets? I’m actually at discovery cove right now waiting for my dolphin swim time at 3. & I’m also considering going to aquatica tomorrow.

45 Meghann May 21, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Yes it was part of my package! Send me an e-mail if you go and we should meet up!

46 Erin May 21, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Pretty breakfast! Glad it tasted as good as it looked.

Once my college roommate and I were trying to create steam in our oven so that we could get bread to rise faster. We took a Pyrex casserole dish, filled it with water, and set it on the electric burner to heat up. Then we place it into a cold oven with the bread. Yeah, the glass dish broken into pieces filling our oven with broken glass and water. At least it resulted in a nice, clean oven!

Also, my mom once took a glass dish of Au Gratin potatoes out of the oven and place it onto a metal baking pan instead of a regular coaster. One entire side of the dish exploded spilling glass and cheesy potatoes everywhere.

Apparently I should not be allowed to be in the same room as glass dishes…

47 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) May 21, 2010 at 2:59 pm

HAHAH! I had no idea that could happen! Once in HS I came home late at night and decided I wanted egg salad (wtf?) so I proceeded to hardboil an egg. I of course fell asleep and awoke to the sound of the smoke detector. That egg was THE BLACKEST egg I’ve ever seen!!! So funny!!

48 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope May 22, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Where is your sprint tri?