Spring Awakening

by Meghann on May 19, 2010

Wow, all I can say is wow.

SPRING AWAKENING
10/8/09 National Tour
credit photo: © Paul Kolnik
paul@paulkolnik.com

(Photo Credit Paul Konik 2009)

Last night I had the distinct pleasure of attending the opening night performance of Spring Awakening at the Bob Carr Theater courtesy of the Spring Awakening Social Media Manager (I want his job!) and Chevy Girls on the Go.

In case you are unfamiliar with the show, here is a little promo video I received in my press kit.

(check out Rachel and Jesse from Glee who were original cast members. Eek!)

Honestly, before I was asked to attend the show I was only faintly aware that the show existed. I did a little research before attending yesterday, but actually kept my research limited as I preferred to be surprised on what to expect.

I fell in love immediately with the music as soon as the show opened with ‘Mama Who Bore Me.’ The music was fresh, very modern and easy to sing along to. I enjoyed the rock vibe in each song and really could not wait to get home and download the cd. Last night I had barely walked through the door when I purchased the cd on iTunes and was rockin out to all of the songs I had just enjoyed – my favorite being a song with a title that would be too inappropriate to state on the blog. :O

The story line was very edgy and dealt with the inner and outer turmoil of sexuality that teens face.  I love the fact that even though the plot takes place in the 1900s in Germany, the same issues still run parallel in society today.

The show was also very graphic. There was nudity, offensive language, masturbation, abortion, rape, teen suicide, and every other hot topic out there involved. It’s not a show for everybody, but as long as you are not easily offended – it would take a LOT to even come close to offending me – the graphicness of the show only adds to its appeal.

During intermission I found it amusing all the males around me were commenting on the breasts they had just seen on stage. What am I saying? I was talking about the breasts too!

Wendla and Melchior Hand

(Photo Credit John Marcus 2009)

This was one of those shows that kept you thinking after the performance was over and that need to dissect every details of the show and keep the conversation going is my idea of what qualifies for a good show. 🙂

My supervisor also gave it two thumbs up! She raved about it to her husband last night and now he wants to see it too. If you have an opportunity to see the show yourself, I suggest you check it out. Or at the very least download the soundtrack – it rocks!

🙂

My supervisor and I had plans to leave right after work to grab a bite to eat downtown before heading to the show. I had this apple around 3:30 to hold my hunger over until then.

IMG_7487

We parked by the theater and walked to Urban Flats for dinner.

IMG_7488

I’m not sure why I don’t eat at Urban Flats more often. The food is great, the wine selection is great, and the prices are greats. It’s a triple win in my book. 🙂

I started with the cheapest wine on the ‘spicy red’ section of the menu.

IMG_7490

For my meal I ordered the Artichoke, Wild Mushroom, and Goat Cheese Flatwich.

IMG_7489

I’ve has this before and I knew it would not disappoint. My only complaint was they serve it piping HOT and I’m too impatient to wait for it to cool. My first couple of bites may have burnt my tongue, but it was totally worth it.

IMG_7495

The flatwich came with a very tasty side salad that was topped with golden raisins, seed, and more goat cheese.

IMG_7497

It was one of the better side salads I’ve ever had at a restaurant. 🙂

IMG_7491

It just so happens that Mochie – a new frozen yogurt place that I’ve been meaning to try – was right next door to Urban Flats.

IMG_7498

I know what you’re thinking: “Another self serve frozen yogurt place in Orlando? We’ve seen it before people.” And I was thinking the same thing.

IMG_7499

IMG_7500

There was nothing special about the place and the flavors were very limiting.

IMG_7501

I had a small cup with a tasting of all 6 flavors plus fruity toppings.

IMG_7502

It was nothing special, but still a nice treat to enjoy on the walk back to the theater.

IMG_7503

IMG_7504

The show got out LATE and by the time I got home all I wanted was my bed. I hit the pillow and I hit it hard right before midnight.

This morning I didn’t feel like driving to the gym, so I stuck to my apartment gym and did a quick speed session on the treadmill followed by some walking lunges.

I do hope to ride my bike to work in the future, but today was not a good day. I promised Kelly I would meet her at Hot Yoga (which is clear across town) tonight and I wouldn’t have time after work to bike home and then drive to hot yoga. It makes much more sense at the moment to drive to work and then drive to yoga. I also have to go home to let Maddie out at lunch time otherwise on days like today she would be in her crate for over 12 hours and I just don’t have the heart to do that.

I will try tomorrow though. 🙂

Breakfast was quick and filling.

IMG_7514

Two Van’s Waffle with almond butter, strawberry preserves, flax seed, and raisins.

IMG_7515

Apple.

IMG_7518

Tonight! Tonight!

Tickets for the Second Annual Healthy Living Summit go on sale tonight at 9:00pm! Be there or be square. 😛 www.healthylivingsummit.com

1 Evan Thomas May 19, 2010 at 9:16 am

Sounds like a fun show! It makes me want to see it

2 britchickruns May 19, 2010 at 9:22 am

Wow, that show does sound pretty deep!
Your dinner sounds SO good- I’ve never had a flatwich!!
Have a great day 🙂

3 peanutbutterfingers May 19, 2010 at 9:24 am

I LOVE MOCHI! 🙂 it is a very special place. 😉 did they have red velvet when you went? that’s my faaaaav. i still gotta try the frozen yogurt places you’ve been to. they always look amazing!

4 Jenny May 19, 2010 at 9:30 am

Ive always wanted to go to urban flats, it looks delicious! And I agree, that is a small selection of flavor choices at mochi!

5 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 19, 2010 at 9:31 am

So happy for you you got to see that! I have been hearing good things about it for forever. If only Rachel was in it…

Is Mochi an east coast or southern thing? Before I left the country I was living in LA–ground zero for froyo places–we had at least 100 and I never had heard of Mochi! It looks great though. But I guess I can´t imagine a froyo place that I WOULDN´T want to patronize…

6 Erin May 19, 2010 at 9:49 am

I am such a Broadway nerd and LOVE Spring Awakening. The fact that the two leads are now on Glee just makes my heart pitter-patter. 😀

7 missyrayn May 19, 2010 at 9:50 am

I’m glad you liked the show. I don’t know if I’m that progressive. I might want to see it eventually but I can get offended sometimes.

8 brandi May 19, 2010 at 9:58 am

Sounds like a fun night, and that dinner looks awesome!

If you’re tired of your froyo places, please send one our way! We have ONE and it only offers 2 flavors of yogurt. Seriously.

9 caitlin May 19, 2010 at 10:10 am

that guy looks like the kid from Degrassi! Probably not though!

10 Meghann May 19, 2010 at 10:12 am

It is the guy from DeGrassi! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Epstein

11 Jenna May 19, 2010 at 10:35 am

Dinner looks fabbb

12 kamadavitta May 19, 2010 at 10:45 am

I really want to see Spring Awakening! And now I really want to try Urban Flats! That flatbread looks amazing!

13 shannon (the daily balance) May 19, 2010 at 10:58 am

saw Spring Awakening last year and LOVED IT! hands down, one of my faves 😉

glad you enjoyed!

14 Kelly May 19, 2010 at 11:02 am

Sounds like an interesting show, I might have to check it out!

15 theprocessofhealing May 19, 2010 at 11:12 am

Wow that looks like so much fun! And your dinner… oh my.. no words.

16 amberpdidit May 19, 2010 at 11:53 am

This is my first time commenting but Spring Awakening is such an amazing show (I’m glad you liked it…makes me more certain how cool you are!). I did the same thing when I saw it a year ago, came home and bought the soundtrack on iTunes.The show also made me come home and look into volunteering for a teen suicide prevention org. The song “Then there were none” still makes me cry. The show made me realize that even the most well-meaning adults can so easily forget how desperate and alone some teens feel. The show made me think AND has an awesome soundtrack.

And your sammie looked great too!

17 fromatopink May 19, 2010 at 12:11 pm

LOVED that play! Saw it in NYC… with my dad haha. A little bit awkward but still very enjoyable. 🙂 Glad you had a good time!

18 janetha May 19, 2010 at 12:15 pm

nice nails, meghann! how do you manage to keep them so long and lovely?!

19 Meghann May 19, 2010 at 1:22 pm

It’s all in the genes. My Dad has really thick nails and so do I. He always says we grow nails like some people grow hair. lol

20 Helena May 19, 2010 at 12:25 pm

That show sounds interesting, I want to hear those songs now! I’ve never had a dog before so I always thought when people are not home they just wander around the house?

21 Meghann May 19, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Sometimes, but Maddie is very mischievous when I am not around so I am forced to keep her in a crate during the day. If it wasn’t for her chewing/pooping/peeing habit I would let her run free. 🙂

22 runrettarun May 19, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Re: your bike to work question, I would definitely do it! I workout on my lunch breaks and can get quite stanky. My gym bag must-haves: wash cloth & plastic baggy for it, baby wipes, deo & body spray. My co-workers appreciate it 😉

23 thewhatkateateblog May 19, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Your flatwich looks like a healthy version of a calzone.

24 keribop May 19, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Ooooh, I LOOOOOOVE Spring Awakening. So edgy, so emotional and just so amazing in every aspect possible! Really glad to hear that you loved it! And I’m going to be even more jealous if you really did get to see Craig from Degrassi in it (I may or may not have a crush on him!)

That flatbeard/salad looked so delicious! Goat cheese, mushrooms and artichokes sounds like an awesome combo.

25 runningwithsass May 19, 2010 at 1:23 pm

how cool some of the glee cast was in it before!

26 rc1001 May 19, 2010 at 1:45 pm

That restaurant sounds delicious!!

27 Lauren @ Running Examiner May 19, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Love Spring Awakening. I’m admittedly not a “musicals” person, but I really enjoyed Spring Awakening. Very thought-provoking, and the cast was so talented. Glad you had a good night!

28 sarahdbelle May 19, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I’ve mentioned this on my blog before, but I got to meet Jonathan Groff (Jesse) and Lea Michelle (Rachel) in NYC during the run of Spring Awakening. I did community theater at the same place that JG did. He was so nice and SO good in Spring Awakening. He even took my friend and I on a tour of the theater. It’s still one of the most special days of my life. I’m glad you enjoyed the musical!

29 Lee May 19, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I think I know what your favorite song was!

I’ve had that sandwich at Urban Flats in Atlanta and also burned my mouth.

30 Kath May 19, 2010 at 9:07 pm

So cool to see Rachel not being Rachel!

31 Nicole May 19, 2010 at 9:18 pm

The colors in that flatwich looks so delicious, lame about it being extremely hot though, I can imagine one’s patience can only last so long, especially looking at that beauty! Looks like such a fabulous meal to find at a restaurant!

32 Tammy May 21, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Thanks for the heads up on Spring Awakening…I know now I definitely do NOT want to see it..

33 akeorlando May 24, 2010 at 10:51 am

What a perfect night out! We saw the show and loved every minute of it! Duncan Sheik’s music is phenomenal.

Love, love, love Mochi, and Urban Flats is always a guaranteed good meal.

34 andrea May 25, 2010 at 6:20 am

So funny – until just now, I had no idea that there was a (popular) Spring Awakening musical!
Over here (Europe), it’s on the required reading list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Awakening_%28play%29) in high school and we probably had to watch it as a play for about 10 times… I’ll definitely look out for the musical, sounds like so much more fun!