Window Distractions

by Meghann on May 18, 2010

I love having a desk near the windows.

I love seeing the sunshine, I love the pretty blue skies, and I love knowing that there is a whole world that moves at lightening speed outside while I am chained to my desk inside.

I especially love how distracting the window can be.

Exhibit A:

IMG_7454

They’re installing new power lines outside of my my office and it just so happens my co-workers have the perfect view of what’s going on.

IMG_7456

We must have spent 30 minutes watching them put the new pole up yesterday and then how they took the old one apart today.

IMG_7462

Boy, am I glad chain sawing an old wooden power pole from an unstable cherry picker bucket is NOT in my job description.

IMG_7464

See how this can be distracting to watch?!?!

IMG_7467

At least I had a snack of mixed nuts to enjoy while watching the whole process.

IMG_7453

Tomorrow I’ll bring popcorn for the whole office if they’re still out there. 😉

The idea for today’s lunch actually hit me while I was chowing down on nut butter crust fries with bbq sauce yesterday. I mean carrots + nut butter + bbq sauce is good in fry form, why wouldn’t it be good in sandwich form too?!?!

IMG_7482

I made an Ultimate Carrot Dog using roasted carrot (I roasted this morning), a sprouted bun, arugula, almond butter, and finished it all with my extra special addition of bbq sauce!

IMG_7477

Oh me, oh my. This was good! The bbq sauce was the perfect touch to take my Ultimate carrot Dog over the top. It gave a very sweet touch and blended very nicely with the almond butter.

IMG_7485

Just think of almond butter and bbq sauce as the new mustard and ketchup. 😉

With my carrot dog I had some Sour Cream & Onion Pop Chips and broccoli.

IMG_7473

Biking to Work?

I did the math today and it turns out I live exactly 4.3 miles from work.  Hmmm…. this got me thinking, maybe I should experiment with riding my bicycle to work one day this week?

What do you think? Should I give it a try?

And if so, what do I do once I get to work regarding the sweat and the odor?

Decisions. Decisions.

A Mid-Week Treat

Tonight I’m treating my supervisor to a night out on the town. I have free tickets to the opening of Spring Awakening at Bob Carr Theater and I invited her along as my date.

We’re going to get a quick bite to eat downtown and then head to the show. I LOVE Broadway shows and I can not wait to see this one. It’s suppose to be a little racy, but very good!

1 Molly @fuelherup May 18, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Maybe you have a different work environment, but Spring Awakening may be an awkward show to see with your boss! Very, very, very racey (but also good, like you said). In any case, I’m sure you’ll have fun!

I love all the combos you come up with, but I have to say, I am not a big “mixer” and probably wouldn’t be brave enough to try!

2 Tamara May 18, 2010 at 4:04 pm

So jealous you’re seeing Spring Awakening! Did you know the girl who plays Rachel on Glee originated the female lead on Broadway?

3 britchickruns May 18, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Great carrot dog idea, love it!
I say go for it re biking to work – screw the smell 😛

4 Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy May 18, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I wish I had a window in my office! We’re on the inside of a building so I don’t have a view of ANYTHING! You’re very lucky!

And that’s awesome about seeing Spring Awakening! I love Broadway shows too, and am SO excited that we’re moving to NYC soon so I can go see them anytime I want! Let us know how you like the show!

5 Anna May 18, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Lol…I don’t know why, but your carrot dogs crack me up. 🙂

I had an office with no windows my first year of grad school, and it SUCKED. Never again.

6 Jennifer May 18, 2010 at 4:14 pm

It’s Bike to Work Day in the DC Metro area this Friday! I say go for it!

7 Christy May 18, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I bike to work sometimes and I find that I don’t really get that sweaty. I guess it depends on the terrain and weather. I would just take a change of clothes and deodorant. You can always wipe under your arms with a wet paper towel in the bathroom if it’s bad. 😉

8 Tobi May 18, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Love the carrot dog idea but were you full after that???

Yes, you should ride the bike to work!! Just bring an shirt, deoderant and a washcloth?? I don’t think you’ll get that sweaty with just over 4 miles… Maybe??? Sounds like fun to me, but is it safe?? Sidewalks, etc??

9 Jessica May 18, 2010 at 4:19 pm

One of my coworkers bike 7 miles each way to work everyday. She just does a quick change of clothes and a wipes off with a wash cloth in the bathroom. She even keeps baby wipes at her desk in case she forgets the wash cloth.

10 Lyss May 18, 2010 at 4:20 pm

spring awakening is amazing! hopefully you’re seated on the right side so you get a nice “butt” shot of the lead actor. it’s racy – prepare yourself!

11 Becky May 18, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I don’t know if I can get on board with the “carrot dog”! I agree with the others that you can probably do the bike to work without worrying too much about the sweating- although maybe in the Florida summer, that’s a bigger consideration!

12 hundredtenpounds May 18, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I would love to commute by bike. It would be nice to get my workout out of the way with commuting. I’m lucky to have a shower at my office, so odor isn’t a problem. The problem? I don’t want to get up really early to commute….

13 Kate May 18, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Do you not have shower facilities at work? Some cities have special bike-commute “stores” with storage, showers ect.

If you think you can do it without getting so sweaty you need a shower, go for it!

14 Sarah R May 18, 2010 at 4:28 pm

It is national bike to work week and I believe Friday is national bike to work day! Why not partake?! Those cherry picker, bucket trucks? My husband does the engineering for the company that makes them! They’re completely safe and do lots of testing before they leave the lot.

15 Whit May 18, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Carrot dog? Interesting….

16 Erin May 18, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Definitely try the bike ride but don’t push it, just ride at a leisurely pace and hopefully you won’t work up too much of a sweat. I carry some wet wipes when I walk to work and will go into the bathroom, wipe off any sweats and put on fresh deodorant. You could even carry an extra shirt…

17 thirtyandhealthy May 18, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Do you have a lot of things that you need to take to work? Can you ride with a backpack? If I were to ride 4 miles here in Scotland I doubt I would get too sweaty but I guess in Florida you would have a problem! I would wear a different top to wear while at work and some deoderising wipes maybe? No harm in trying it for 1 day.

Your view at work totally reminds me of the diet coke adverts we have here, I don’t know if you guys had the same ones? The women all watch the very hunky workmen out the window drinking diet coke and cooling off without shirts!

18 Bethany May 18, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Enjoy the show! I saw it a year ago sitting front row, which turned out to be a bit too close for my preference! Let’s just say that I got more of a show than I paid for!

I say give biking to work a chance and see how gross you get by the time you arrive at the office. Maybe you can plan your schedule so you leave early enough before it gets too hot outside. If you do get gross, just make sure to get into a bathroom to clean up before running into any coworkers!!

19 kristin p May 18, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I bike commute all the time and I’ve learned some tricks to deal with the whole stinky/sweaty thing:
1. Give yourself enough time to get there without having to go too fast. If you’re not having to push 15mph to get to work on time, there’s less chance you’ll get super gross.
2. Buy a travel pack of alcohol-free baby wipes for cleaning up at work.
3. Bike in a different shirt than you will wear at work, change after the the baby-wipe bath.
4. Bring your make-up to put on at work after using the baby-wipes. (I figured this out when I got to work one day and had mascara running with the sweat on my face – hawt!)
5. If your hair gets gross easily, keep a bit of dry shampoo at work to use on your roots when you arrive.

Despite what it sounds like, it only takes me about 5 minutes to put myself together at work, so it’s really not a huge time commitment. I’ve also found that biking to work gets the day off to a really great start – I’m so much more relaxed than when I drive and I’m always in a fantastic mood from the shot of endorphins. Plus, it usually takes me less time to bike than to drive, park and walk to the office.

Give it a shot! After you get used to the route, you may find that you really love biking to work 🙂 I’ve been doing this for about 2 years (same distance) so if there’s anything I can help with, let me know.

Kristin

20 The Linz May 18, 2010 at 4:42 pm

First of all your carrot dog sounds so interesting. I am not sure I am that brave to mix almond butter and bbq – but I like that you are so experimental! I mean who would have known parsnips and AB? Right? Seriously.

On a second note – I just experimented with biking to work yesterday for the first time. (Check out my blog post today for an awesome link on how to calculate gas savings). I found it to be a rather awesome experience and due to it being bike week/month am encouraging everyone to do it if possible! I hope you do it!! 🙂

21 Tracey May 18, 2010 at 4:47 pm

When I saw the pictures of the guys in hard hats I totally thought you were going to mention the Diet Coke commerical. Probably showing my age but they used to have a commercial showing a good looking construction worker outside an office window. All the women in the office were watching him drink a Diet Coke.

About the odor from bike riding…I picked up some “shower wipes” from Fleet Feet in Chicago. They work great and I’m sure you could find them in your local sporting goods store.

22 Meghan May 18, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I loved Spring Awakening! 🙂 It’s a great show, and I doubt you’ll be bothered by the subject matter. If you get the chance to sit on the actual stage, take it! When I saw it, they gave us that opportunity right when we walked in the door and we jumped on it! (And I’m sure you know, but Rachel and Jesse from Glee are the original Broadway leads.)

23 Chloe May 18, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I really don’t think you’ll be that sweaty when you get to work. You could do a test run this weekend and see how it goes! Also, bring extra clothes and maybe some of those towlettes to freshen up, that should help too.
I wish I lived that close to work – that would be awesome!

24 Laura Georgina May 18, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Love your office window view! At my last job, I had waaay too much fun watching students be ridiculous from my desk. It wasn’t conducive to work, but it made for great entertainment at an otherwise blah job 🙂

25 Megan @ Mego Blog May 18, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Bike to work day is FRIDAY! Get on your bike! : ) The hardest part for me about riding my bike to work is getting just a little too sweaty. I don’t have a shower to use when I get to work, so I try not to go super fast on my bike so I don’t get sweaty. : )

26 Jess May 18, 2010 at 5:05 pm

You should definitely bike to work. When I still lived in Ft. Collins, I rode my cruiser the 4 miles to work, sweat free. Just give yourself enough time so you’re not trying to speed over. Also, pack deorderant and the shirt you’re planning on wearing that day. You don’t want to wear it while you’re riding, especially with a backpack. Too bad you don’t have a shower available. My hubby rides his bike to and from work in the summer. It’s about 38 miles round trip. That’s a bit much for me, but he seems to love it!

27 Chloe May 18, 2010 at 5:05 pm

You should DEFINITELY be biking to work! It’s so close! I bike anywhere from 5 to 11 miles to each of my three work places, all of which are somewhat difficult routes with lots of hills and rough dirt roads and I do just fine. I really don’t think you will be sweaty or gross at all by the time you get there, because it’s such a short distance and bring an extra set of clothes just in case you are. Cars are great, but fossil fuels are destroying everything. Biking is the best form of sustainable transportation out there! Just think, what if it was natural for everyone to simply be biking to work? We would be so much healthier. Not to mention we wouldn’t be in an energy crisis, our earth would be a lot happier, and the people who were still driving would be much more pedestrian conscious and therefore there would be fewer bike/car accidents. You go girl, bike to work once a week! Heck, bike to work 3, 4, 5 times a week!

28 E.S. May 18, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I think you should definitely bike to work Meghann… A great way to get in some extra fresh air and exercise! I back up what everybody else said.

29 Nikki May 18, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I Love Spring Awakening!! So, so good. I’m sure you’ll have an awesome time!

30 runnerforever May 18, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I would say bike easy so you don’t break a sweat!

31 Bethany @ Not Unless I'm Being Chased May 18, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Definitely bike to work! I live a little farther than that from my office and I’ve biked every once in a while. It’s so peaceful and makes for a really lovely commute — especially after a tough day! 🙂 Besides, May is National Bike Month, right? Now is the time!

32 chasingthenow May 18, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I would definitely do it. I live 1.6 miles from my morning job, and while it’s shorter than your commute, it is still do able! Think of the gas you could save over the course of a month and year!

33 Jenny May 18, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I would never think of that sandwich! Very creative:)

34 GM May 18, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Used to watch the window washers (in shorts) LOL

35 Meg May 18, 2010 at 5:54 pm

You’ll love Spring Awakening. I just saw it in Miami this past weekend (for the second time this year) it’s an amazing amazing amazing show. And the songs will be stuck in your head for the rest of the week. Have a great time!

36 amanda May 18, 2010 at 5:54 pm

love me some pop chips! they are the besttttt!

ha, about the biking…that was my first thought-but after 4.3 miles, you’ll be so sweaty! i don’t even know what to tell ya. clean up in the bathroom sink? put some deodorant on, freshen up and ta da? mmm, i don’t know.

see, i work in a physical therapy office. so we have a whole shower unit where our patients can go shower if they need to go back to work after therapy. but i highly doubt you have the luxury of that.

give it a try-and see how it goes! one day won’t kill, right?

37 Lisa @bakebikeblog May 18, 2010 at 6:05 pm

haha I know EXACTLY what you mean re window distractions! It seems that they are ALWAYS doing roadworks outside my work window!!!

38 A reader May 18, 2010 at 6:37 pm

I think you would smell by the time you got there. Then put on more spray or deoderant in the bathroom, but in reality smell. You do live in Florida, right?

39 Caroline May 18, 2010 at 6:40 pm

I’ve debated the same thing! I live about 3.4 mi from work but Athens has some nasty hills and I don’t have real bike lanes all the way there (but most of the way!). Biking at sunrise and later during evening rush hour scares me!

40 Melissa @ For the Love of Health May 18, 2010 at 7:27 pm

you should def bike to work! That’s not far at all! Especially for a fitness queen like yourself! 🙂

I love the carrot dog! Great idea!!

Have a great evening!

41 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad May 18, 2010 at 7:37 pm

I wouldn’t bike to work. I know it’s better for the environment and all that, but there is no way I would go to work smelly sweaty. 🙁

42 Jenna May 18, 2010 at 7:41 pm

What a great sandwich idea!!

43 Laura May 18, 2010 at 8:00 pm

You should definitely bike to work! I used to run at work during my lunch breaks in the winter when it was too dark to run at night and didn’t get too sweaty! Just bring a change of clothes with you to work along with some baby wipes to take care of any sweaty/stinky spots and keep some deodorant/small stash of make-up at work! I’d bike to work if it wasn’t 25 miles each way 🙁

44 Trish May 18, 2010 at 8:10 pm

I would have to pass on the bike to work at this time of year in Florida. It’s getting way humid out – and is just going to get worse. I couldn’t sit at work all slimy and wet and sweaty. Maybe you could do it when the weather is cooler out?

45 dianacheung May 18, 2010 at 8:27 pm

SPRING AWAKENING MAKES ME SCREAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

46 Evan Thomas May 18, 2010 at 8:28 pm

This post has made me realize I cant work somewhere with a window. Or shiny objects. Or food.

47 Joey May 18, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I think you should try biking to work. I think Friday is like National bike to work day…. or maybe that is just around here but I’m considering it too. I live 5.1 miles from work but I’m hesitant b/c of 1) traffic & 2) I don’t want to get to work & be sweaty!!

48 mindyjean May 18, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I’ve been thinking about riding my bike to work as well…but the whole getting sweaty and gross had always been a concern for me too!

Really jealous about Spring Awakening! Have fun!

49 Kellie May 18, 2010 at 8:43 pm

your different food ideas are great. Who would have thought carrots, bbq and almond butter? Love it.

50 Ashleigh May 18, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Your are so brave with trying new food combos! BBQ sauce and AB? I never ever would have thought of something like that.. I am such a plain jane!

I would bike to work!! however I don’t have any real recommendations for the FL heat!

51 theprocessofhealing May 18, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Haha that WOULD be distracting!!!
Must try the almond butter/bbq combo.. wow!

52 liz @ lizrunsdc May 18, 2010 at 9:22 pm

I definitely think you should ride to work! I ride everyday (weather permitting of course) and love it.

Regarding smell/sweat, bring those facial wipes to clean your face when you get in and a small towel to dry any sweat before you change into your work clothes. Four miles would probably take you like 20 minutes if it’s not too trafficky so you wouldn’t get drenched. It might be a light enough ride that you can ride in your work clothes and not worry about sweat. That’s the one thing that biking has over running!

53 Kelocity May 18, 2010 at 9:39 pm

You should bike to work! I did it a couple of times, but I always got stuck… where do you put your change of clothes? Do you even need a change of clothes? If you do, I hope you do a post about it!

54 runningwithsass May 18, 2010 at 9:40 pm

hhhmm I would maybe bike to work in the fall but not in the summer

55 Danielle May 18, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Definitely bike to work!! Friday is the perfect day– it’s National Bike to Work Day 🙂

56 Nicole May 18, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Ohh your carrot dog! I completely forgot about this guy, I remember seeing it a while back on your blog and promised myself I’d try it. Shucks, I gots to get me some carrots for roasting! Looks delicious, for real.

57 Rachael May 18, 2010 at 10:59 pm

That’s probably the most creative use of a carrot I’ve seen to date.
And window distractions are probably why cubicles came into being…

58 Emily May 18, 2010 at 11:10 pm

I’m a huge fan of Broadway shows, and Spring Awakening is super modern (definitely not your classic Les Mis or anything like that). Definitely has a great score but is borderline tasteful at some parts. I love running to the music, though!

59 Annie May 19, 2010 at 12:35 am

Been reading your blog for a while, but never comment… I used to bike commute 5 days a week, 6 miles each way. I rode on the street. Wear a helmet, know your traffic rules, please don’t ride on the sidewalks (a path/route if you must, I dunno what your neighborhood/route’s like). Look for alternate routes, like side streets/through neighborhoods, to avoid busy roads. Spend some time with Google Maps. Sidewalks are less safe than the street for a variety of reasons.

As for the smell, I found it was best to ride in workout clothes and change when you get there. Baby wipes are your best friend. Get either panniers and saddlebags or a nice messenger bag.

Biking to work rules. Built in exercise.

60 Amanda May 19, 2010 at 7:29 am

I saw Spring Awakening recently in Detroit, and the show was great! I hope you had a good time, too.

61 Brittany May 19, 2010 at 9:15 am

Spring Awakening was just in Miami & I saw it a week ago while I was there! AMAZING! Hopefully you have good seats, because mine were in the weeeeeee back of the theater lol.

However, my friends somehow managed to get the onstage seats, and they absolutely were FLOORED when I met them after the show.

Enjoy! 🙂

62 Kim May 19, 2010 at 7:49 pm

OK now I’m definitely riding my bike to work on Friday 🙂

I live in Orlando (moved from San Francisco) and used to ride my bike all the time to work, it was only 2.2 miles into downtown and such a fun ride through the old neighborhoods. Then I changed jobs and now I’m 5.5 miles away, and it’s down roads without bike lanes/sidewalks (but that doesn’t seem to stop the homeless people from riding their bikes on that street). It’s kinda through a not-so-great part of town which is why I was so hesitant at first, but after getting used to the traffic patterns I think I can make it work.

The sweat thing isn’t even an issue – everyone at my work knows I’m low maintenance (I show up to work most days with wet hair & let it air dry) so no one would be surprised if I was taking a baby wipe bath in the ladies room LOL What really upsets me is that we originally had planned to put locker rooms into the office building 10 years ago when it was being designed, but it got voted out of the final plans b/c “nobody bikes in Orlando” – ugh!

P.S. I hear there’s an employee at the City of Orlando who bikes in from Clermont every day!!!

If you do the bike ride to work, take pics! I’d like to see if you get sweaty or not.

63 ariel l May 20, 2010 at 12:01 am

Oh my gosh I love Spring Awakening! I’ve seen it 3 times =) It’s a really awesome musical & I hope everyone enjoyed themselves! =)