There’s a Sweet Potato in my Bowl

by Meghann on May 18, 2010

Every month a new issue of Self arrives at my doorsteps and every month I immediately tear out the fun fitness cards inside. I think the fitness cards may be the only reason I still have the subscription in the first place. πŸ˜‰

I have quite a collection going now.

IMG_7432

What I should do is get a nifty little binder and organize them by which moves work what body parts. Instead, I’m lazy and just throw them in a drawer and select a random sheet when I feel the need to mix up my routine a bit.

This morning I warmed up with a 3 mile jog around my neighborhood before returning to my apartment for a mix and match session of the Self fitness cards. I randomly chose 10 cards and did 2 sets of each card. I finished my work out with some jumping jacks, high knees, and butt kicks. It felt good. πŸ™‚

I was adventurous in the kitchen this morning.

IMG_7434

What’s that in my bowl of yogurt and cereal? Pumpkin? No. An orange custard? No. Sweet potato? Ding Ding Ding!

IMG_7443

I saw the sweet potato + yogurt + granola combo on Caitlin’s blog the other week and have had it on my β€˜must try list’ ever since.

In my bowl I had:

• 1/2 baked sweet potato (chilled)
  • 3/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crisp
  • Raisins
  • Drizzle of honey

IMG_7445

All mixed up.

IMG_7449

The combination was great. The sweet potato was still a little chewy, which seemed to work with the crunch of the cereal and the raisins added a sweet little something to each bite. I was halfway done when it occurred to me that cinnamon would have made a great addition to the bowl too, I’ll have to remember that for next time. πŸ˜‰

What’s the most creative breakfast creation you’ve ever tried? Was it good? or did it seem like a good idea, but tasted terrible?

1 fitandfortysomething May 18, 2010 at 9:17 am

oh i love your breakfast! i am not very creative when it comes to breakfast but this weekend i made oats and mixed in amazing grass chocolate superfood. it was pretty good!

2 Jes (Self Motivation) May 18, 2010 at 9:18 am

I noticed yesterday that ExerciseTV now has SELF work-outs. Your breakfast looks great!

3 Jenny May 18, 2010 at 9:20 am

I’m so not a creative person in the morning but I love oatmeal creations! I really love reeses oats as a special treat!

4 Brittney May 18, 2010 at 9:24 am

I mixed sweet potato into hot oatmeal a couple weeks ago and liked it. Maddie is SO CUTE! I always think my dog is the cutest, but I think she gives my Clyde a run for his money. I just want to cuddle her πŸ™‚

5 Anna May 18, 2010 at 9:41 am

I love the Self workout tear-out cards!!! I have a huge collection as well πŸ™‚ They’re great for traveling!

6 Sarah May 18, 2010 at 9:42 am

Mmm…I’m pretty sure sweet potato goes with everything:-).
One of my favorite (slightly unconventional) breakfasts is toasted bread or english muffin, hummus, sauteed spinach, and egg. I feel like hummus with eggs would not seem strange to you, though. (I enjoy reading about your own unconventional healthy food combinations.)

7 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 18, 2010 at 9:55 am

I love dinner food for breakfast (and vice versa). I had chili for brekkie this morning.

8 Beth May 18, 2010 at 9:58 am

I looove sweet potatoes but have never had them for breakfast. I’m not usually too creative when it comes to breakfast bc i love regular old breakfast food so much – eggs, pancakes, oatmeal, etc.

9 Stephanie May 18, 2010 at 10:06 am

How ironic! I keep all of the Self workout cards and I tear most of the workouts out of Shape too. I actually have them in a binder and just last night I was looking for leg moves and was having a hard time. So what did I bring to work today to organize on my lunch hour? You got it πŸ˜‰

10 Shell May 18, 2010 at 10:16 am

Yummo! Sweet potato as a breaky fod looks goood! Here in oz nothing beats some crunchy warm toast with vegemite! From my experience Anericans dont like vegemite tho, i guess its an aquired taste πŸ™‚

11 DiningAndDishing May 18, 2010 at 10:39 am

I have become much more creative with my breakfasts since I got into food blogging. However, I wouldn’t say I’ve done anything to out of the ordinary! I like sweet breakfasts for the most part…oatmeal, pancakes, waffles and toast :).

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

12 Erin May 18, 2010 at 10:40 am

I’m definitely *not* a creative breakfast person. Although I did put laughing cow cheese on a bagel yesterday because we were out of cream cheese and it actually tasted the exact same to me!

13 theprocessofhealing May 18, 2010 at 10:41 am

That sounds really good!!! As lame as it is, I don’t think I’ve had very many unusual breakfasts?

14 Jamie in Arkansas May 18, 2010 at 10:51 am

This is too funny! I just finished my breakfast of:
Oats
Flax
Sweet potato
Banana
Cinnamon
Almond butter
Egg white
It was delicious!! I could eat it every day! πŸ™‚

15 amanda May 18, 2010 at 10:53 am

Hmmmm I am not sure most creative combos. Some of my fravorite breakfast items are

La Toritilla Factory pita, with hummus, cut up bell pepper, and cut up hard boiled egg (add crush red peppers flakes and cilantro)

Greek plain yogurt, frozen blueberries and fiber one (or cherrios)

Vitatop w/ PB2

Boca burger with laughing cow cheese smeared on top and a pickle on side

16 Lindsay May 18, 2010 at 11:46 am

I recently tried to make a green monster and chocolate whipped banana oats parfait. It seemed like a good idea, but it came out looking like something you could collect out of a scummy swamp pond. It was not an attractive creation by any means. It tasted OKAY, but the temperature combination of the COLD GM and the HOT oats made everything taste lukewarm and gross. Definite breakfast fail.

17 sassychic4ever May 18, 2010 at 11:52 am

I had been wondering how sweet potato would taste for breakfast. I have been tempted to put it in my oats. I will def be giving it a go!

18 biz319 May 18, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I wish I liked sweet potatoes! Very creative!

Hey, if you have time today, check out my blog – I completely changed the layout and want to know what you think!

19 britchickruns May 18, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Sweet potato and granola? LOVE IT!!
I made a chocolate, carrot, banana and cereal combo once…oretty amazing πŸ™‚

20 Jessie (Vegan-minded) May 18, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Sadly, I’m not that adventurous when it comes to breakfast. I have been known to eat leftover pasta or tofu on occasion though! Sweet potatoes sound like an awesome oatmeal add-in. πŸ™‚

21 Nadine May 18, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Hi! I moved back to the Orlando area almost a year ago now (I graduated from FSU too!) and I really want to pick up running again (but I have a bad right knee) so I wanted to know if you have any training programs for me to slowly get back into running 5ks and hopefully a half marathon soon. I feel like if I had a structured program I could folllow it easier without getting discouraged. If you have any ideas I would appreciate it. Thanks!

22 Meghann May 18, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Hey Nadine! I know the Couch to 5k program is a good one and Hal Higeons has programs broken into all levels so I’m sure he would have a great beginning half marathon one. πŸ™‚

23 Vanessa May 18, 2010 at 1:30 pm

The most creative breakfast I’ve tried were Caitlin’s Pancake Truffles. In fact, I made them for the first time this morning! You have to try them — SO good!

**Check out my blog: http://www.swift-as-shadows.blogspot.com**
**Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nessajosephine**

24 hungryforbalance May 19, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I’ve been meaning to give those a try I’m glad you reminded me!

25 Katherine: What About Summer? May 18, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Love those shape pullout cards!

This title reminds me of Toy Story “there’s a snake in my boot”

26 Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness May 18, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Gotta love the SELF tear-out cards. Good idea to keep them all in a drawer, where you can grab a set in a pinch for an easy workout.

My “odd” combination for breakfast turned out to be not that odd at all… I made a ‘Green Monster’ smoothie and added some unsweetened cocoa powder alongside my 1/2 scoop of chocolate protein powder. HOLY CHOCOLATE! I was worried it would be too bitter but it added a depth of flavor that I had been lacking before. Not to mention antioxidants, too!

27 runningwithsass May 18, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I love the self tear out cards!

28 Monica C. May 18, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I think the most creative breakfast I’ve ever had would be an ice cold beer, on vacation in Jamaica. πŸ™‚

29 Nicole May 18, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Haha, I also have quite the collection of Self Fitness Cards!

30 Becky May 18, 2010 at 11:56 pm

i once combined oats and a babybel cheese. bad idea. i think the general concept was good, i just should’ve put more in it besides just those two things. i was making it out of a college dorm room though so my mix-ins were limited…to oatmeal and cheese.

31 rachael May 19, 2010 at 9:07 am

I love the Self fitness cards!

32 hungryforbalance May 19, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I keep the Self cards too- they’re great! They come in handy when I need a little inspiration for the Tone & Sculpt class I teach at my gym πŸ˜‰ As for creative breakfast ideas my best was last Thanksgiving- I grilled some banana and pineapple to put in my vanilla coconut milk yogurt. So good!

33 learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood May 19, 2010 at 11:28 pm

I think that the most interesting combination that I made was wheaties cereal, VERY CoLd Milk, a fuji apple chopped and sprinkled with cinnamon and heated and then mixed up in the bowl, with cream cheese. I am not a big fan of peanut butter or nut butters, so I thought why not cream cheese and it was awesome!! πŸ™‚