more ยป" />

Drawing Memories from Food

by Meghann on May 17, 2010

A couple of summers ago my family rented a beautiful cabin in the Smokey Mountains for week of hiking, exploring, and relaxing.

CIMG0904.JPG

CIMG0658.JPG

And when I say we hiked, I mean we hiked!

CIMG0681.JPG

CIMG0680.JPG

One day we did a grueling 8 mile hike that took us right up the mountain.

CIMG0675.JPG

CIMG0679.JPG

The breathtaking prize for our efforts.

CIMG0701.JPG

Hiking takes A LOT of energy and requires a lot of snacks. Somewhere along the way the 6 of us finished 2 packages of Fig Newtons. Mmmm… Fig Newtons rock! They seriously make the best trail snacks!

Now every time I see a Fig Newton I am automatically reminded of that trip to Smoky Mountains and that hike where I stuffed myself silly of Fig Newtons. It’s a good memory to draw from. ๐Ÿ™‚

Of course, fig newtons are not just for hikes, they make great snacks too.

On Saturday I grabbed a few packages of Fig Newtons from the snack stations at Discovery Cove and had one today as a pre-yoga snack. I was right!

Hot yoga was awesome, but I wouldn’t expect anything less. ๐Ÿ™‚

Tonight’s practice was lighter than normal. We concentrated on our backs and by the end I felt like I had just had a deep tissue massage. *swoon* I really needed that.

I really enjoy that after class I’m never very hungry. This gives me enough time to make a real meal in the kitchen, rather than throwing something random together or heating something up from the freezer.

Tonight I took my time and made black bean burgers.

The black bean burger was rather simple to make. I had about 1/2 a cup of black beans in the fridge that I added to my mini food processor with whole wheat bread crumbs, flax seed, chili powder, and s&p. I spun until everything was combined, then made a patty that I heated on the stove top.

I topped the finished product with fresh avocado and salsa. The combination was simple, yet delicious.

My plate was complete with a side of fresh green beans

And corn.

For dessert I had some dark mint chocolate with a couple of strawberries.

Maddie is ready for bed

And so am I. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good Night!

1 Jenny May 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Yum! I love fig newtons:)

2 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) May 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Avocado makes on killer burger topper! I love Fig Newtons!!

3 RhodeyGirl May 17, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Yum, that dinner looks awesome!

4 Emilyeatsclean May 17, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Thanks for sharing your simple black buger recipe……I have a random amount of leftover blackbeans in my frigde…..I think I just found their purpose! ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Samantha May 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Beautiful hike, makes me miss home even more! (I’m from NC but haven’t been back to the states since nov 08).

When we brew limoncello I think of Italy, a good Guinness always reminds me of Germany, pastries and coffee remind me of Switzerland, and anytime I branch out and try something new I always think of our last real home in Ann Arbor, MI because we learned much about diversity in culture and food living there.

6 Dori May 17, 2010 at 10:52 pm

I always preferred the Raspberry Newtons. Goodnight to you and Maddie!

7 Julie @ Wearing Mascara May 18, 2010 at 12:51 am

Now I’m craving fig newtons! ๐Ÿ™‚

8 britchickruns May 18, 2010 at 2:58 am

That hiking tray looks soo beautiful! It’s made me want to go hiking now ๐Ÿ™
Fig Newtons over here are just called Fig Rolls – so dull!

9 dianacheung May 18, 2010 at 7:44 am

i can NOT buy fig newtons..cause I’ll eat a whole row of them from the package!

10 runningwithsass May 18, 2010 at 8:37 am

wow what a great cabin with a great view! looks like it was a fun week!

11 Kelly May 18, 2010 at 9:14 am

I used to be obsessed with fig newtons, haha I haven’t had any in forever though!

12 andrea @ a cake for a wife. May 18, 2010 at 10:28 am

Gosh, I don’t think I’ve had a fig newton in years! Yum.

I make my black bean burgers exactly the same way, although I usually make a bunch and then bake them in the oven, and freeze the leftovers. My new thing is to eat them crumbled over a salad with hummus and avocado. So good!

13 rachel May 18, 2010 at 11:11 am

I love the Smokey Mountains. I’m leaving today for a week long backpacking trip with a friend. Just have to make it to 5 p.m….We’re doing the whole Smokey section of the Appalachian Trail. I. CAN’T. WAIT. And now I need to pick up some fig newtons to add to our snacks bag ๐Ÿ™‚

14 Lauren @ Running Examiner May 18, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Love Fig Newtons ๐Ÿ™‚ And hiking! Hiking is such a great way to explore new areas with friends/loved ones. You can never begrudge sweat, dirt, and beautiful scenery.

It’s so funny, but yoga makes me *starving*. I usually practice yoga in the mornings, and I find I need a small meal every 3 hours. (Bikram doesn’t usually pique my appetite, but power vinyasa always, always does).

Interestingly, I never lose weight with running, but if I’m hard-core into yoga for a few weeks, I definitely lose about 5 pounds–even with the extra eating. I’m not trying to lose weight, so having the “excuse” to indulge a little more often is kind of nice ๐Ÿ˜‰

15 thelifeoferin May 18, 2010 at 2:02 pm

thanks for sharing your black bean recipe! I made it tonight, though mine kinda fell apart so I should have followed your recommendations more carefully. But it was still super tasty though!

16 hundredtenpounds May 18, 2010 at 2:49 pm

That looks like a really cool hike!

17 Carolyn @ lovinlosing May 18, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Unfortunately, Fig Newtons remind me of the hospital because someone brought them to me as a child when I’d gotten sick and had to be hospitalized with dehydration.

18 Rachael May 18, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Food and memories -Marcel Proust had his madelines, and I think we all have a smell or taste that takes us back. For some reason, the smell of coffee reminds me of San Francisco, and frying vegetable oil puts pictures of Africa into my mind. Lovely bits of memory that can happen at any time!

19 GM May 18, 2010 at 5:43 pm

I loved that cabin…even though you had to pass by it on the road and come in from behind.

I’m also a big fan of fig newtons!!!