My First Taste of Ethiopia

by Meghann on May 14, 2010

Mmmm…. Ethiopian food is good. πŸ™‚

I mean who doesn’t enjoy food you eat with your fingers? I know, I do! πŸ˜‰

I had a rather pleasant Friday afternoon. Work went smoothly and I left the office at a decent hour. I really couldn’t ask for more. πŸ™‚

Before I left I had some dried fruit with the last of some peanut butter I had in my snack drawer.

A little birdie told me there was some crazy deals happening at the Lululemon Outlet this weekend. So – of course- I had to check it out. πŸ˜‰

(please ignore my ‘I didn’t feel like blow drying my hair this morning’ hair, mmmkay?)

Ashley became my personal shopper and loaded me up with a whole bunch of Lululemon goodies to try on.

Here’s a hint at some of the deals you can score at the Orlando Lululemon Outlet.

IMG_7017.JPG IMG_7019.JPG

I managed to walk out with a new pair of pants and two sports bras for $80. Score!

I also purchased two dresses I needed for upcoming weddings and bridal showers at the Anne Taylor Loft Outlet for a decent price. If it wasn’t for the long drive and crowds of tourists I’m sure I would be at the outlets every weekend. πŸ™‚

I really could not wait for dinner tonight. I’ve seen Ethiopian food pop up on a few blogs lately and I’ve been dying to try it! I was pretty sure Orlando didn’t have an Ethiopian restaurant, but after a quick google search I discovered we had one – Nile.

There’s a reason why I’ve never heard of Nile before, because it’s on International Drive! If you ever come to Orlando, I beg of you, please stay far far away from International Drive! It’s awful! It’s dirty, crowded, and not what Orlando is like at all. Derek and I were only on International Drive for 5 minutes trying to find this restaurant and I was already cursing the street. Ughh….

But, I digress.

The restaurant itself was not touristy at all. It was quiet, quaint and relatively empty. A rare gem on a street of craziness. πŸ™‚

I had read a few reviews regarding what to order at Ethiopian Restaurants and the consensus seemed to be to go with the combination platters.

I held strong with the vegetarian combination.

And Derek at the meat combination.

The two were served on the same platter.

With a side of injera as our ‘utensil’

Derek was a little scared when he saw the injera. I believe the words chicken skin and rubber came up? But, after a few eye rolling and a little nudge on my behalf he dug right in.

And you know what? He liked it. πŸ™‚

I liked it too. It was fun to eat and though the bread has an odd texture, the flavor of the food is really all you taste, not the injera at all. The food reminded me of Indian food you eat with bread. My only complaint was that it could have been a bit spicier. πŸ™‚

Side note: Some people have the hardest time taking photos with my DSLR. Here is what the waitress got of the two of us.

Oh well. πŸ™‚

It just so happened the Manchi’s was on our way home. Who drives by Menchi’s and doesn’t stop in?!?! Not me!

Fro yo before toppings.

With toppings.

Glorious!!

Tomorrow Derek and I will be celebrating my birthday at a secret, special location. πŸ˜‰

Please disregard the fact my birthday was in February, this was the first weekend we could make this happen. πŸ™‚ I’ll be back tomorrow afternoon with all the exciting details. Trust me – it’s going to be good!!!!

Quick Announcement: Tickets for the 2nd Annual Healthy Living Summit, which will be held August 13-15 in Chicago, will go on sale WENDESDAY, May 19 at 9 PM EST. There are 200 tickets for sale for $75 each and will go on a first-come, first-serve basis. We’re using a new ticket system this year so things will hopefully go smoothly, but last year we sold out in 20 minutes… so GET READY! The complete agenda will be available on the Summit website prior to ticket sales. It’s going to be better than ever this year!

1 theprocessofhealing May 14, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Oooo I’m excited about the birthday celebration!!
Ethiopian food looks very FUN! I’ve never had it before. I CAN kinda see where Derek is coming from with the chicken skin thing though, I must say…

2 Kate May 14, 2010 at 11:03 pm

My husband and I had been aching to try Ethiopian for ages and finally tried it in London over Xmas. I think I enjoyed the experience more than the actual food, but would definitely be keen to try it again- and especially to try some of the vege options.

3 Sarah w May 14, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I am super jealous that u have access to a loft outlet and lulu outlet!!!!!!!!!! I practically live loft!!!!

4 missyrayn May 14, 2010 at 11:23 pm

I would love to try it. But I love all sorts of ethnic food and Hunni doesn’t. So I think I’d have to go out with girlfriends to get it. But glad you enjoyed it.

5 Heidi May 14, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Lurrrrve lululemon (i work at the store in Greenwich CT!) and LOVE LOVE those shorts you tried on…i think i may have a pair πŸ™‚

What pair of pants did you get?? πŸ™‚

6 Morgan @ Life After Bagels May 14, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Oh sigh . . . I am so jealous of your lululemon deals. It’s a Canadian brand, shouldn’t I be getting some of those good deals in my neck of the woods πŸ™

7 hundredtenpounds May 15, 2010 at 12:23 am

Ethiopian is my favorite ethnic cuisine. I love the bread and spices and the lamb is always delicious! My bf was skeptical too but loved it!

8 jamie May 15, 2010 at 2:16 am

since you love menchi’s, i have to let you know…my bff designs ALL the menchi’s in the US! aren’t they cute πŸ˜‰

9 britchickruns May 15, 2010 at 3:23 am

hOORAY for delayed birthdays!! You’ve managed to spread your day from February to May…that’s impressive!
I’m glad the Ethiopian was good; have you ever had Moroccan? That’s AMAZING!!

10 allisonisactive May 15, 2010 at 6:07 am

I feel your Orlando outlet pain! We lived across from the Premium Outlets back in the day and the traffic was terrible. I got to Prime when I’m in town now, but parking is still a nightmare and there’s no good way to get there from I-4.

Now that we’re in Sarasota, I hit the Ellenton outlets and they are MUCH quieter.

11 veganwhoopies May 15, 2010 at 7:48 am

You were just wishing to fill your bag with some Lulu the other day-now you have some! That stuff is cute and you got some awesome deals!

12 Alison May 15, 2010 at 7:55 am

International Drive is horrible, I agree.
I hope you have a fun belated birthday celebration.

13 Brittany May 15, 2010 at 8:11 am

I had my first experience with Ethiopian food a while back and really enjoyed it. Isaac and I ordered the same dishes – meat combo for him, veggie combo for her- I guess that’s the standard order for newbies.

Lululemon OULET?!? I want one. I would love to have some Lululemon gear- especially if it wasn’t full price. πŸ™‚

I’m so bummed because I won’t be able to attend HLS again this year – one of my best friends is getting married in GA that weekend. :/

Have a fun b-day celebration – can’t wait to hear where you all go.

14 Matt May 15, 2010 at 9:17 am

I have been wanting to try Ethiopian forever! I need to hit up Google and see of there is a restaurant around here.

15 Krista May 15, 2010 at 9:44 am

My daughter’s BFF is Ethiopian and her Mom sends me homemade injera quite frequently. The first time I tried it I was a little put off with the taste, but now I adore the stuff!

16 christina cadden May 15, 2010 at 10:05 am

All that food looks amazing!

17 Tammy May 15, 2010 at 10:28 am

Lululemon has cute stuff, but I can’t justify spending that kind of money! I’d rather be able to do 3 or 4 5k’s with $80…The Ethiopian food looks awesome!

18 Alyssa Huegel May 15, 2010 at 11:30 am

The picture of Derek at the restaurant is SO good! Most blogs have decent photography but that is some skills πŸ™‚

19 Diana@mymarblerye May 15, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I’ve been dying to try Ethiopian food!!! Dipping my fingers into my food is my thing!

20 Louise May 15, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I agree with Alyssa, that one picture of Derek is captured very well.

21 Jaya May 15, 2010 at 10:51 pm

I am with the two above – that is a beautiful photo of a beautiful man.

22 Rachael May 16, 2010 at 1:08 am

I “Aww’d” out loud when I saw the photo of Derek smiling. Such a great shot of a good looking man!! You’re a lucky girl πŸ™‚

23 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com May 16, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I had really hoped to make to the HLS this year, but I’m going to Vegas the week before and can’t swing both. πŸ™

24 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) May 17, 2010 at 12:43 am

I really need to try Ethiopian food! I’ve heard it’s super good. I love the idea of eating with my hands and it being normal. πŸ˜‰

25 LuluLemon June 29, 2011 at 9:16 am