A New Work Out

by Meghann on May 14, 2010

Oh no!

I woke up in a bit of a panic this morning when I realized I had forgot to reset my alarm and had missed my 5:30am body power class. Booo…:(

However, I didn’t sulk for long. Instead of throwing in the towel for my work out this morning I went to the gym anyways and created my own body power class, sort of.

Yesterday Emily had posted a strength routine that immediately caught my attention. The post contained photos and had easy to follow instructions. It was perfect for someone like me who is afraid of weights, but am willing to learn.

Turns out sleeping in was actually a blessing in disguise. Emily’s work out was awesome. I printed out the entire post so that I could have the pictures to go with it and followed all of her instructions exactly. For once I felt confident in the weight room trying something new. Each move was easy to under yet still a big challenge.

Thanks for the great work out Emily!

Once I made it to work Breakfast was a four step process.

IMG_6974

Step 1: Start with the cereal.

• 1/2 cup Peanut Butter Puffins
  • 1/2 cup Shredded Wheat
  • 1/2 cup Kashi H2h

IMG_6975

Step 2: Add Fruit

IMG_6976 IMG_6977

Strawberries + Pineapple

IMG_6978

Step 3: Add yogurt

IMG_6980

IMG_6983

Step 4: Combine and enjoy!

IMG_6986

🙂

Have a great Friday everyone!

1 Brittany May 14, 2010 at 9:03 am

Glad you got in a good am workout.

I will have to check out Emily’s plan! I’m focusing most of my workouts on strength training rather than cardio now so it should be quite helpful. Thanks for sharing.

2 britchickruns May 14, 2010 at 9:06 am

I’m always scared of gym weights :s but maybe with a plan I wouldn’t feel so lost…hmm I shall check it out too!
Love that breakfast 🙂

3 fitandfortysomething May 14, 2010 at 9:19 am

so glad you just didn’t ditch the workout! so motivating for all of us 🙂

4 Beth May 14, 2010 at 9:32 am

I love that pomegranate chobani but cannot find it ANYWHERE! sad.

5 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 14, 2010 at 9:33 am

Why are you afraid of weights?

6 Meghann May 14, 2010 at 9:36 am

I’m not afraid per se, I just don’t know what to do with them. I am slowly learning and am making an effort to do more strength training. i.e. the plan Sarah gave me a while back to follow, taking body power classes, and practicing hot yoga.

I’m trying to be more well rounded and not just running for every single work out. It’s an evolving effort. 🙂

7 Raya May 14, 2010 at 9:39 am

I love power yoga!! Even though you literally need to wring your hair out afterwards. Saturday I’m going to their donation class, I believe it’s at the same studio you go to? I’ve been before and I love it! I drink about 4 ounces of gatorade beforehand because otherwise I leave there with a giant dehydration headache.

8 Whitney @ Lettuce Love May 14, 2010 at 9:40 am

So smart to get to the gym even when you slept through your class. Love the bfast!

9 Morgan @ Life After Bagels May 14, 2010 at 9:47 am

oh you’re making me want to go strength train . . . but I only have time to fit a short run in at home today.

10 Anna May 14, 2010 at 9:48 am

Sounds like it was the blog world to the rescue!! Glad you got a good workout in!

11 theprocessofhealing May 14, 2010 at 9:57 am

It’s funny how a day can start off seemingly “bad” but you can turn it around!

12 Erin May 14, 2010 at 10:08 am

Love that breakfast tower of deliciousness!

13 runnerforever May 14, 2010 at 10:28 am

Sorry about missing the class, but I am glad you still got in a good workout!

14 Heather May 14, 2010 at 10:41 am

I love cereal/fruit/yogurt combo – so many great flavors and combos.

Your fruit looks beautiful – in the northeast, we haven’t hit fresh fruit season yet. I cannot wait!

Great workout. I am also scared of weights so I am going to look into that workout.

Enjoy your Friday!

15 amandapanda1981 May 14, 2010 at 11:14 am

delicious breakfast. That is one of my favorite things to eat with greek yogurt. I normally stick to plain greek yogurt because it doesn’t take away from the other flavors and crunch

16 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com May 14, 2010 at 11:37 am

Good for you for going to the gym anyway!!

17 Dynamics May 14, 2010 at 11:38 am

“The Big Book of Exercises for Women” is a fantastic book. Great for the beginner as well as the experienced. It has pictures, yes pictures of each exercise. It has several workouts already planned out for you. An example is Get your body back fast, the Bikini-Ready workout and skinny jeans workout or you can design your own. The book is only 15 bucks which to me is a steal. The best exercise book I have ever purchased. Emily did a fantastic job and her pictures are fantastic.

18 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 14, 2010 at 11:46 am

I need to collect more strength workouts, I get so bored with what I have been doing now. I wish there was more around for using just your body weight, to do at home. I should start searching blogs for that…

19 hundredtenpounds May 14, 2010 at 12:34 pm

What a cool concoction! I need to try that.

It’s easy to make excuses NOT to exercise. Good for you finding something else to do.

20 Matt May 14, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Glad you had a great workout! Sometimes those spur of the moment workouts are just what the doctor ordered 😉

21 Michelle May 14, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I’m giving away 2 jars of organic preserves and immediately thought of you and your love for sweet flavor combos! I promise Food for Thought jams are waaaaaayyyy awesome! Strawberry basil preserves or blueberry merlot jam strike your fancy?

Good for you not skipping your workout!! I’m so inspired by how well you take things that come at you in life and deal with it so gracefully! I mean…garmin stealer? ARGGG

22 Cynthia (It All Changes) May 14, 2010 at 1:44 pm

That’s what I have to do for moves. I either need someone to show me in person or have pictures.

And I love your breakfast. I eat that all the time for a dessert 🙂

23 Emily @ The Front Burner Blog May 14, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Yay!! So glad you liked it. 🙂 Workout out at home makes it much easier to squeeze in when you are short on time.

24 Elina May 14, 2010 at 2:19 pm

This work out looks really fantastic. I need to give it a go asap 🙂

25 biz319 May 14, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I just picked up that Pom Chobani – I’ll probably have it this afternoon. Glad you got your work out in! Me? I would have gone back to bed! 😀

26 Kilee Johnson May 14, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I’m always bummed when I miss a workout class. But, a good workout plan is just as good! Have a happy friday!