A Lunch of Vegetables

by Meghann on May 14, 2010

The minutes are ticking away and I can feel the weekend tapping on my shoulder.

Why, hello, weekend! Don’t worry I’ll be with you soon. 😉

This morning I had a fun sweet treat I haven’t had in a while.

IMG_6987

These bars were included in the package Sabrina has sent me the other day. I forgot how good they are. 🙂

I had an onion roll in my fridge that was begging to be turned into something wonderful for lunch today, so I made a sandwich out of it.

IMG_6996

My sandwich included hummus, spinach, carrot, tomato, and goat cheese.

IMG_6991

The carrots gave it a nice crunch.

IMG_7004

On the side some fresh broccoli.

IMG_7000

I always buy my broccoli whole and cut it into pieces. My favorite part is the stalk of the broccoli. My mom is not a stalk fan, but I find that’s where most of the flavor of the broccoli lies. 🙂

IMG_7005

Pickle

IMG_6997

Lunch.

IMG_6989

I’m meeting Derek for Ethiopian food tonight! I’m very excited because I’ve never had Ethiopian food!

I also heard a rumor that the Orlando Lululemon Outlet is having a sale. Mr. Weekend I may be with you sooner that I thought. 🙂

1 Beth May 14, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Ohhh Ethiopian food is delicious! I love that you get to eat your “utensils’ when you’re done. I always throw out the stalk – i didnt even think about eating it!! must rethink!

2 Dori May 14, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I love the stalk too! Your onion roll sandwich looks delicious. Happy weekend!

3 Leah May 14, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I hate the stalk of broccoli! Eek! I cut off as much as I can at all times!

4 Erin May 14, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Ethiopian food is delicious–get ready to eat with your hands. 😀

5 Whitney @ Lettuce Love May 14, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Love all of the vegetables! I am dying to try Ethiopian food, I have heard such good things. Enjoy 🙂

6 Evan Thomas May 14, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I’m excited to see what ethiopian food is!

7 Marisa (Loser for Life) May 14, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I’ve never had Ethiopian food either! Looking forward to seeing what you get!

8 Bethany May 14, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Ah, I hate the stalk!!! I also buy my broccoli whole and just cut off the top to use. I was thinking this morning that I need to find a recipe that I could use the stalk in so I don’t feel like I’m wasting so much. I was thinking maybe soup. Any suggestions?

9 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) May 14, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I LOVE broccoli stalk….it’s the best best best part. My parents used to come up with shapes to make it more fun to eat when we were kids. Like…star! Haha

10 fitandfortysomething May 14, 2010 at 4:18 pm

oh your sandwich looks so good! love that goat cheese and hummus addition. never had ethiopion-let us know how it si !

11 britchickruns May 14, 2010 at 4:25 pm

The stalk – my mum ALWAYS throws the stalk away, I thought that was standard! Now I’ve seen that they can be eaten, I think I’ll eat my stalks 🙂
Have a good night!

12 tiff May 14, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I love Ethiopian food! Injera is best “utensil” haha.

13 traveleatlove May 14, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Yummy, healthy lunch! That roll looks too good!

14 Erica H. May 14, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Ethiopian Food is amazing!! I first had it at a restaurant but my boyfriend’s parents adopted a little girl from Ethiopia a few years ago, so sometimes they make it (and the bread, injera) at home, too.

Your best bet is to see if they have a sampler platter you and Derek can split. There is always SO much food and it’s a great way to see what you like if you haven’t had it before.

That said, I’ve been eating Ethiopian food for two years now and i STILL get the vegetarian sampler platter. Some of my favorites are Misir Wot (spicy red lentils) and Gomen, some kind of collard greens.One of the most traditional meat dishes is Doro Wot, which is the traditional chicken drum stick with a hard boiled egg. Just try to eat that egg with the injera bread hahaha.

My boyfriend is not a vegetarian, but after a few times he has switched to the vegetarian sampler too! Either way, it’s amazing. Hope you enjoy!

15 Kellie May 14, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I wish I like raw broccoli. I even cook the broccoli I put in my salad. The onion roll with goat cheese looks mighty delicious, though.

16 hundredtenpounds May 14, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Did you eat the sandwich dry? No dressing?

17 Meghann May 14, 2010 at 7:25 pm

I had hummus on it that moistened the sandwich 🙂

18 Raya May 14, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Will we be seeing “Broccoli Stalk Fries” on the blog soon? Haha I hate the stalks, they’re so tough!

19 Marina May 14, 2010 at 5:12 pm

your lunch looks so refreshing and crunchy, yum!
I wish I could try ethiopian food, can’t wait for the recap!

20 Lacey @ Lake Life May 14, 2010 at 5:28 pm

That’s really cool that you like the broccoli stalks. I’m sure it was handy when you lived at home and you could give your mom the florets!

I’ve never had Ethiopian food either, can’t wait to see what it’s all about 🙂

21 Danielle May 14, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Ethiopian food is awesome…teff (you will find out about this) is pretty strange at first, but delicious. Also, there are always tons of veggie dishes to pick from!

22 Mama Pea May 14, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Little known fact, my friend, but my favorite vegetable is broccoli stalk. I swear. People should know that if you peel them with a vegetable peeler, they lose all toughness and are sweet and tender! I cry when I see other bloggers juicing them. In fact, my name would be Mama Broccoli Stalk if it had a nicer ring to it.

23 Alyssa May 14, 2010 at 5:52 pm

I’m a HUGE fan of the broccoli stalk my self! I actually like it better than the florets! And the best part is, most people don’t want to eat them so I get them all!! Yum!

24 theprocessofhealing May 14, 2010 at 6:37 pm

I loooove broccoli stalks too!! I thought I was the only one 🙂

25 Matt May 14, 2010 at 6:42 pm

My girlfriend said Ethiopian food is awesome. I totally need to get some!

26 Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 14, 2010 at 8:36 pm

What a yummy CRUNCHY lunch 🙂

27 missyrayn May 14, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I’d be so afraid of the tomatoes rolling out. But it looks yummy and I need to use my tomatoes so you gave me and idea for breakfast 🙂

Ethiopian food is good I hear. We have no place around here for food like that.

28 Rachael May 14, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Ethiopian food is my absolute favorite…I am trying to grow teff grain in my garden just so I can make injera bread (which my dad swears looks like ace bandages). I love how versatile it is – can be vegan or full of meat, and so well-spiced!
I love the broccoli stalk too – waste not, want not, and it’s one less thing to throw in the compost.

29 jqlee May 14, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I love stalks of all veggies. I love the crunch!!

I got a sample of that TLC bar. It was sooo chocolately! Yum.

30 Boreas June 3, 2010 at 10:15 am

Yeah, it’s good, very useful, thanks 🙂