A Special Breakfast

by Meghann on May 13, 2010

This morning I resurrected my last Easter scone for consumption.

IMG_7122

Isn’t she a beauty? I was hanging on to this baby for a ‘special occasion,’ but this morning I realized any time I ate it would be considered a special occasion. 🙂 I made sure to save each and every bite!

Now, I just need to make it to Sunrise Bakery in my parent’s hometown for more. They freeze really nicely and only needed 30 seconds in the microwave to reach the optimal warm and crumbly texture I have come to love and adore. 🙂

After yesterday’s rough afternoon I decided to treat myself this morning by sleeping in, taking my time in a nice hot shower, and putting together a special breakfast that included the fabulous blueberry scone.

IMG_7132

In case you were wondering – and I’m sure you were – scones are my favorite breakfast treat ever. They actually rank right above waffles and pancakes simply because they are not something that I can find any and everywhere. Well, at least I can’t find the ‘really good ones’ any and everywhere.

A good scone crumbles apart and literally melts in your mouth (aka are made with a LOT of butter) and these my friends are really good scones.

IMG_7125

I had my heart set on pairing my scone with some nut butter, but I knew the scone would crumble into pieces during the whole smearing process. Instead I made a nut butter dip by combining some almond butter and peanut butter with almond milk and heating the mix up for 30 seconds in the microwave.

IMG_7127

The nut butter dip was a hit! The scone soaked up all the nutty goodness and it was actually more fun to eat it this way.

IMG_7142

On the side I had some pineapple and strawberries that actually made their way into the dip too. 🙂

IMG_7140

IMG_7134

Silk Pure Almond Winner

And the winner of the coupon for a free half gallon of Silk Pure Almond Milk and chico bag is….

silkwinner

Congrats Jackie! Please forward your information to me at graduatemeghann@gmail.com and I’ll your prize on its way!

1 fitandfortysomething May 13, 2010 at 8:44 am

what a great way to start a thursday morning! love good scones but they are hard to come by. i have a fun giveaway on my blog today if you want to come on by……

2 britchickruns May 13, 2010 at 8:44 am

Aooh I love the idea of that nut butter dip for the scone, genius!!
I never used to like scones..I don’t think I’ve ever had a whole one!
I hope today goes better for you 🙂

3 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) May 13, 2010 at 8:47 am

That scone does look tasty! I hope you have a better day today 🙂

4 runningwithsass May 13, 2010 at 8:52 am

yum I love scones! hope today is better!

5 Anna May 13, 2010 at 8:54 am

What a beautiful breakfast! I love sprinkled sugar on scones…such a yummy crunch 🙂

6 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 13, 2010 at 9:08 am

Scones are pure butter. No wonder they are so good!

7 Jenny May 13, 2010 at 9:18 am

Wow, that looks like a specialty breakfast! What a treat:)

8 Lindsay May 13, 2010 at 9:26 am

I love making nut butter dips! I like to dump them on top of overnight oats and other greek yogurt/cereal messes, so that the nut butter spreads out over all of the yogurt rather than staying in a cold little clump in the middle. Mmmm….nut butter. 🙂

9 Erin May 13, 2010 at 9:33 am

Love scones–made some amazing walnut and cranberry scones for Mother’s Day that I can’t wait to make again!

10 *Andrea* May 13, 2010 at 9:34 am

i loveeeeeeee scones! i ate one almost every day when i studied abroad in ireland. so yum

11 Beth May 13, 2010 at 9:37 am

I love scones too…. they are such a good breakfast treat!

12 Jenna May 13, 2010 at 9:53 am

I’m with you girl, scones are the best breakfast treat. Every Friday I have ‘scone Friday’. A little hole in the wall restaurant in the skyway by my office building has the best homemade scones a girl could ask for. They are indeed a treat! 🙂

I hope you have a better day today!

13 Matt May 13, 2010 at 9:59 am

That nut butter dip looks amazing!

14 Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 13, 2010 at 10:01 am

I remember my first time trying to bake scones… I measured 2 Tbsp. baking soda instead of 2 tsp, and they were DISGUSTING!

15 heather May 13, 2010 at 10:01 am

i don’t know if you meant to say “resurrect” in reference to an “easter” scone.. but i found this pun to be incredibly hilarious. i feel guilty laughing at it but regardless, kinda funny 😉

16 emily May 13, 2010 at 10:03 am

Haha, I didn’t want to be the first to say it but that was the first thing I thought too! 😀

17 Sally May 13, 2010 at 11:32 am

Yep, I don’t think it was intentional, but I giggled too. A very special breakfast indeed.

18 Lauren May 13, 2010 at 10:02 am

Easiest scone recipe ever! And you can put any toppings/combinations of toppings in them. They are moist and freeze really nice. I make them all the time for me and husband.

19 dianacheung May 13, 2010 at 10:15 am

i need to utilize my freezer more..i end up eating everything instead of freezing it for later consumption!

20 lowandbhold May 13, 2010 at 10:18 am

I LOVE scones! My favorite is the cinnamon chip one from Panera. Sooo good.

21 Jo May 13, 2010 at 10:28 am

Oh Meghann, if you like scones, you must come to England- they’re one of our quintessentially traditional foods (especially in Devon+Cornwall)- except not really for breakfast, but as part of afternoon tea- clotted cream scones with strawberries+ strawberry jam. All the teashops sell them! Randomly- they’re actually in the Harry Potter books a few times, but apparently the editors thought people in America wouldn’t understand what they were, and changed it to ‘English muffins’?!!!
This recipe below is by one of the best cooks in the country:
Easy!
Have a lovely day 🙂

22 kamadavitta May 13, 2010 at 10:34 am

I love scones! Your whole breakfast plate looks colorful and delicious. I hope today is better than yesterday for you! 🙂

23 ellaroo88 May 13, 2010 at 10:35 am

Looks good! I’m not a huge scone fan but I LOVE muffins and sweet breads!

24 Sarah May 13, 2010 at 10:36 am

Oh yummm. I love scones too! Hot and fresh and all flaky-buttery… mmmm. What a nice way to treat yourself after such a bad day yesterday. I hope you have a better day today!

25 theprocessofhealing May 13, 2010 at 10:39 am

YUM!! That sounds SO GOOD!

26 Heather May 13, 2010 at 11:43 am

Scones are one of my absolutely favorite things! So crumbly and delicious!

They are definitely a treat – one I need to have more often!

27 Tracey May 13, 2010 at 11:51 am

Oh my word! That scone + that fruit = The perfect breakfast!

I want all of it sitting in front of me right this moment!

28 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 13, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Those scones look good. I am a sucker for baked goods but I usually won’t buy scones because when they aren’t amazing they are just… blah. Whereas an okay stack of pancakes or a muffin or whatever is still pretty good 🙂 i need to find a place with great scones.

29 rayshine May 13, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I totally agree with you, scones are amazing and yummy! I’ve never had a fresh one from a bakery, but I’m always making my own!

30 Monica C. May 13, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I love scones. Love, love, love, love, LOVE scones!

{ 2 trackbacks }