A Good Night’s Sleep

by Meghann on May 11, 2010

Good Morning!

How was your night?!? I slept like a baby!

I’ve been taking on a few more projects lately and because of that my bed time seems to be getting pushed later and later. Boooo…I miss being in bed at 9:00pm. 🙁

With the later bed time – the good news is – I seem to soak up every last drop of sleep I can get. Last night I’m not sure I tossed or turned once. I was out as soon as my head hit the pillow and I didn’t budge until my alarm went off at 5:30 this morning!

The power of a good night’s sleep is a beautiful thing. :)

I took off on a 5 mile run this morning [Thank God I have all the mileage memorized for the routes around my complex!] and then Maddie had a 7:00 am play date with the neighbor’s dog [I don’t feel as bad putting her in the crate if she’s all drained of energy].

IMG_7019

Breakfast:

• 1/2 cup Maddie Wishes This Was Her Cereal
  • 1/2 cup Multigrain Cheerios
  • 1/2 cup Almond Granola
  • Strawberries
  • Kiwi
  • Vanilla Yogurt
  • Naturally Nutty Cinnamon Vanilla Sunflower Butter

IMG_7013

A sweet start to the morning. 🙂

And I’m off!

Question: Are you a good sleeper? Do you toss and turn all night or do you lay there like a rock??

1 Evan Thomas May 11, 2010 at 8:40 am

I’m usually a bad sleeper, but last night was really good for me. I think I was ccomforted knowing it’s the last night I’ll be sleeping in this dorm

2 Molly @fuelherup May 11, 2010 at 8:42 am

You can always use mapmyrun.com to plan runs if you leave your complex!

3 Jin May 11, 2010 at 8:43 am

Hi! I’ve been a reader for a while but this is my first time commenting. I love your blog! You are an inspiration for healthy living. Thank you.
Me,I sleep like a solid rock. It helps me sleep anywhere regardless of location!!but I do wake up like I have an internal alarm during most days 🙂

4 Diana May 11, 2010 at 8:43 am

It depends. I usually sleep pretty well, as in I fall asleep within a couple of minutes but a few times a year I have this thing where I just can’t seem to.. disconnect and I just spend the night awake, thinking about something without being able to sleep. It’s so frustrating but thankfully it rarely happens.

5 Becca May 11, 2010 at 8:43 am

Funny you asked!?! I toss and turn and last night I actually had a dream that we were back in the dorm room freshman year…maybe because I read your blog before bed but it was def. random!

6 britchickruns May 11, 2010 at 8:46 am

Are you planning on buying a new Garmin, since the stealing of the last one? I admire you for coping without it 🙂
I’m a terrible sleeper – it takes me ages to get there, and I always start waking up every hour after only about 4hrs of solid sleep 🙁 very annoying!
Have a good day 🙂

7 Meghann May 11, 2010 at 8:51 am

Yes, I’m going to buy a new one.

The new one will go to Ashley and I will take my old back from her since the one that was stolen was technically hers.

8 Sana May 11, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I am glad you are going to get her one and then you can get yours back! Sometimes these things happen and all you can do is move on!

9 Jenny May 11, 2010 at 8:53 am

I have been taking FOREVER to fall asleep lately, but once I’m out- I’m out!

10 runningwithsass May 11, 2010 at 8:54 am

I am generally a very good sleeper unless I have caffeine or sugar before bed. Sweet tea in particular makes me toss and turn. Poor husband doesn’t sleep well, glad we have a tempurpedic matress so I don’t feel him moving!

11 kalli@fitandfortysomething May 11, 2010 at 9:06 am

i am a good sleeper like you and i laughed when you said you go to bed at 9 and wake at 5:30-me too!

12 Marina May 11, 2010 at 9:25 am

I sleep pretty ok, but I wake up regularly once a night to go to the bathroom, it’s pretty annoying :/

13 Run Sarah May 11, 2010 at 9:41 am

Now that I am back to waking up early I sleep like a rock and pass out once I hit the bed!

14 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 11, 2010 at 9:46 am

Like a rock… minus having to get up every hour or so because of a beetle trying to eat me or having to pee or something 🙂

15 Anna May 11, 2010 at 9:46 am

I’m a good sleeper…but last night I was tossing and turning, for some reason! 🙁

16 Katie @ LifeDiscombobulated May 11, 2010 at 9:47 am

Meghann, I don’t have a Garmin, so any time I’m going to run a new route, I look up the mileage on mapmyrun.com. It’s a really cool and useful site – if you choose the hybrid view, you can even see all of the off road bike trails.

17 Morgan @ Life After Bagels May 11, 2010 at 9:52 am

it depends if I’m super tired or not . . . which usually I am. My bf will kick and thrash around like crazy though some nights

18 Mary May 11, 2010 at 9:55 am

Normally I dont move but last night I slept TERRIBLY!

19 Carla May 11, 2010 at 10:10 am

It’s interesting that you mention having all the routes memorized, I was thinking of you today when running in my new neighborhood. I’m having so much trouble finding a reasonable distance route (between 3-5 miles) that includes sidewalks! The neighborhoods around mine are all seperated by more “major” roads, and none of them are big enough for even a 2 mile run unless you feel like running around in circles! Do you run on the street or a sidewalk? Do you start right from your home or do you go further away to get to a better area?

20 Meghann May 11, 2010 at 10:47 am

I have to cross one major road during my run, but it’s early in the morning so the traffic isn’t bad. I cross the road to get to the surrounding neighborhoods that are all connected. I mainly run on the road simply because the traffic is so light in the neighborhoods.

21 britishbride May 11, 2010 at 10:27 am

What time are you getting to bed now if you are still getting up at 5:30am, just out of curiosity… thanks x

Julia

22 Meghann May 11, 2010 at 10:46 am

Last night I was in bed by 11:00 🙁

23 Jane May 11, 2010 at 10:31 am

I have a JRT and she looks just like Maddie. I have a question, how long does she spend in her crate each day? Mine spends about 7 hours and I feel terrible, but I make sure to walk to over an hour each day. Thanks!

24 Kelly May 11, 2010 at 10:55 am

I usually wake up a few times during the night. At like 1 am, 3 am, then 5 am.

25 Heather May 11, 2010 at 11:29 am

I try to get to bed by 10 -10:30 ish but I would love to be in bed even earlier!

Depends on the night but usually I sleep pretty soundly…some nights though, I toss and turn nonstop!

26 Matt May 11, 2010 at 11:31 am

My sleep is so sporadic. Sometimes I sleep great, sometimes I sleep really crappy. I guess it all depends on the day…

27 Casey May 11, 2010 at 11:37 am

Hey Meghann! I have a question that’s unrelated to this post :). I’ve noticed you eat a lot of arugula, and I was just wondering–what are its nutritional stats as opposed to spinach? I like the taste a lot better than spinach, but I’ve heard spinach is better for you…do you have an opinion?? Thanks!

28 hundredtenpounds May 11, 2010 at 11:38 am

I go through bouts of insomnia that can be frustrating and depressing but currently I am sleeping okay. I think working out really hard to train for my bike race this weekend has helped!

29 Erin May 11, 2010 at 11:47 am

I usually sleep straight through the night and then wake up 2 minutes before the alarm, wide awake and full of energy. These days I’m waking up at 6:30 like clockwork, even though I don’t really need to be up for another hour. I like it!

30 Tracey May 11, 2010 at 11:57 am

I toss and turn all night long. Not a good sleeper at all which makes it hard to wake up in a good mood.
I’m sure my bad sleeping has something to do with the fact that I allow my dogs to sleep in my bed. But I’m not ready to kick them out of the bed just yet:)

31 lheuser May 11, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I am definitely a light sleeper! I get up at least once a night to sip some water and use the bathroom….I wish I was a heavier sleeper sometimes. Maybe then, my boyfriend’s snoring wouldn’t drive me crazy at night!

32 lowandbhold May 11, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I’m a terrible sleeper. Takes me forever to fall asleep and I wake up tons. But when I’m realllly exhausted, usually from traveling, I sleep amazing. That’s always nice.

33 missyrayn May 11, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I’m such a bad sleeper I actually have to take medications for it. I take them at least an hour before bed and I’m fine. If not I toss and turn until they kick in.

34 runrettarun May 11, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I definitely feel it if I don’t get a good night of rest now that I’m older. My issue is that it takes me an hour to fall asleep. So even if I’m in bed at 900 pm, I’m still up for awhile. 🙁 I get so jealous of my hubby’s ability to fall asleep instantly. I just want to shake him so he’ll wake up 🙂

35 Christina May 11, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I’m usually a good sleeper! Unless I know I have something important the next day. I’ll wake up every 10 minutes until my alarm goes off.

36 mishmashcat May 11, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I sleep really hard and soundly and I LOVE it! Sometimes I have trouble falling asleep if I’m worried about something, but not too often. And the other night I totally woke up from a nightmare at 1:30am! Yup, I’m 29 and have NIGHTMARES! Aye…

37 Heather May 11, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Lately I’ve been having some crazy dreams that are causing me to wake up in the middle of the night…nothing like nightmares but they are just so real I awake with a jolt and have to remind myself that I’m in my own bedroom!

38 Jacquie May 11, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I’ve always been a good sleeper, especially when I’m tired. I can fall asleep anywhere, but with the last few weeks of school and thinking about a lot of things, I was always tossing and turning and not getting enough Z’s. Thank goodness that’s over because I’ve been sleeping like a baby ever since 🙂

39 Kellie May 11, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I am up all night long. I have no bladder control since having kids so I use the bathroom, but then get thirsty so stop for a drink, then repeat the cycle in another hour. I am probably up 4-5 time a night.

40 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com May 11, 2010 at 3:05 pm

For the most part I lie like a rock. There have been times when I’ve made the bed before I got in and when I woke up the other side was still completely undisturbed. My husband on the hand…that’s a whole nother story.

41 Melissa @ For the Love of Health May 11, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I am a terrible sleeper. I have no idea how to turn my brain off. If I attempted to go to bed at 9pm, I’d definitely lay away for hours. I also never sleep through the night. The crazy thing is, I try different things to help: exercise, eat right, don’t eat too late, etc….it’s a mental thing- I have to learn to turn my mind off.

42 Ilana May 11, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I am an awful sleeper. As a child I used to have nightmares so I taught myself to stay up all night so I wouldn’t have the nightmares, and I could never fix it! Now when I get in bed I toss and turn for hours … at least an hour and a half in bed awake before I finally fall asleep. I have no idea how to turn my mind off. And I don’t ever get enough sleep… Le sigh. Working on it!

43 amanda May 11, 2010 at 5:41 pm

how in the world did you discipline yourself to rise and shine at 5:30 every day? i’m an early riser myself…but ack, the thought of THAT time makes me shiver.

44 jessica May 11, 2010 at 7:02 pm

i used to be a great sleeper…and then i had a baby. she is 15 months now and it’s been at least that long since i’ve had a good night’s sleep. so, enjoy it now 🙂

45 Kaitlin May 11, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Oh my gosh, Meghann. I just tried carrots with almond butter for the first time, all because of you.

SO GOOD! Thank you!

46 Alyssa May 11, 2010 at 7:59 pm

I am the WORST sleeper! Everyone thinks I sleep with earplugs because my husband snores but not true – I actually can’t fall asleep with him breathing, a car passing by, any noise at all. I wake up several times each night, it’s so annoying!