Veggie Base

by Meghann on May 7, 2010

Looks like someone was just as interested in my dinner tonight as I was.

Ahem… Bad Maddie!

I can’t blame her though, tonight’s dinner was a good one!

I started with a base of steamed broccoli and topped it with a serving of pre packaged ravioli, marinara sauce, and goat cheese.

The marinara sauce – Barilla Green and Black Olive – is a favorite of mine. πŸ™‚

green_black_olive_2007_0220.jpg

It has big chunks of olives throughout the sauce and all I had to do was bulk it up with some portobello mushrooms.

I really liked this dish because it had the vegetable as the base and the ravioli as the topping. You can’t tell from the photos, but there was a ton of broccoli under there. πŸ™‚

So simple, but so good!

My co-worker had passed around some homemade Macadamia Nut cookies this afternoon, but I was too full from my big lunch to enjoy it.

Instead I brought it home and saved the cookie for part of my dessert.

Vanilla Yogurt + Fresh Strawberries + Cookie = the perfect Friday evening treat! πŸ™‚

I had to run to the mall earlier this evening to pick up a few things and I could believe how PACKED the mall was. At 8:30 pm I found it difficult to find a parking spot and once inside the mall was full of people – particularly teenagers.

I was on the phone with Derek and he didn’t seem to be as surprised as I was about the packed mall. He informed me that back in the day his Mom used to drop him off at the mall on Friday night and he would loiter with his friends until closing.

I – on the other hand – am from a small town where out ‘mall’ was actually a long empty hallway with a jcPenny’s on one end and a Dave Julius on the other. It was definitely not the place ‘to be seen’ on Friday nights.

Wal-Mart was actually the place to be seen. (no comment lol)

Were you a mall rat back in the day?

I have an early day tomorrow!

Anyone heading to the Dankin Triathlon Expo at Fort Wilderness tomorrow? Be sure to stop by the SpiBelt booth and say Hi!

1 Jenny May 7, 2010 at 10:56 pm

I definetly was! The mall and the movie parking lot were the place to be seen!

2 missyrayn May 7, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I was a total mall rat. My mom worked at Sears for her second job so my best friend and I would roam the mall and sometimes catch a movie. EVERY WEEKEND! I saw so many movies back in the day.

3 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) May 7, 2010 at 11:05 pm

haha! Your small town sounds like mine. I dont’ remember what the place was to “be seen” in my hometown, we didn’t have a Wal-Mart until I was a teenager!

4 thefitbridesmaid May 8, 2010 at 12:36 am

I love veggies with marinara or something on them with pasta to make sure you get all your servings!
We were just talking about how the mall by mom had a new rule that if you were under 17 you couldn’t hang out in the mall without your parents!
I definitely did that when I was younger. I spent HOURS in Claire’s Boutique.

5 William May 8, 2010 at 2:42 am

I spent more than my fair share of time at the mall. Pretty fun looking back on it now.

6 britchickruns May 8, 2010 at 3:07 am

I definetly wasn’t a mall-hanger-outer – no-one ever used to when I wa that age (probably cos the shopping centre was at least 40mins from everyone and no-one coulld drvie….). We used to just go to people’s houses. Sensible children!!

7 Kim B May 8, 2010 at 8:06 am

Dinner looks delish! They have rules at our mall to prevent minors from loitering without a guardian on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. After 7pm anyone under the age of 18 has to be with an adult or they are held until a parent comes to pick them up. It seems a bit harsh to me, but I assume our local mall has had trouble with unattended minors in the past to require such a drastic rule.

8 Alison May 8, 2010 at 8:12 am

I’m with you. I’m from a small Florida town; our “mall” was like yours and about 15 miles away and the “big” mall in Ocala was 30+ minutes away. In my town, the Wal Mart parking lot was the place to be. Except for me, because I was lame!

Green and black olive spaghetti sauce sounds awesome.

9 Jenna May 8, 2010 at 8:39 am

oh yes the mall is definitely the go to spot for teens on the weeekends!

10 Morgan @ Life After Bagels May 8, 2010 at 10:05 am

Funny my bf and I had the opposite conversation yesterday. We had to run to the book store in the mall and he was like “this place is RAMMED”. Since I work at a mall, I’m pretty aware of how busy Friday nights are, so I said “no no, it’s always like this”

11 Michelle May 8, 2010 at 10:06 am

My friends used to hang out at the small to “scope out cute guys” when we were 12, but they wouldn’t do anything but stand there. I was so fed up the one time I went with them I only went to the mall to get some serious shopping done

12 inmytummy May 8, 2010 at 11:02 am

Haha, yes! I used to work in the movie theater in the mall and went there all the time to hang out even when I wasn’t working.

13 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com May 8, 2010 at 3:55 pm

The mall was across the street from my high school AND I worked at the mall so I was definitely a mall rat!

14 allieinalberta May 8, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Haha, I definitely know what you mean by mall rats. Back when I was in college, all the high school students in town would hang out at the local movie theatre (both inside and out front)… I totally didn’t get it.