Someone Stole my Garmin

by Meghann on May 5, 2010

Missing

It was a sad morning in the Graduate Meghann household today.

As I’ve done a hundred times in the past, this morning I turned my Garmin on and sat it in the stairwell to gain satellite signal. I went back inside my apartment to place Maddie in her crate and lock the door.

I couldn’t have been gone for more than a minute when I returned to the stairwell to discover my Garmin was missing. 🙁

I spent the next 40 minutes checking every nook and cranny of that stairwell. I checked my apartment to make sure I hadn’t accidentally brought it back inside with me, then I did a quick jog around the perimeter of my building and complex to see if any neighbors were out and about that I could question. I looked under the stairs. I looked in the surrounding bushes and grass. Hell, I even checked my car and the trash bin outside my door, but no such luck – it was gone. 🙁

In less than a minute my garmin had either walked away on it’s own or a random neighbor/stranger had picked it up.

I’m hoping that it was either picked up by accident or by someone who assumed it wasn’t supposed to be there and that it had not been ‘stolen’ on purpose.

At lunch time I will be posting the above flyer and hoping for the best. We all have to believe in the good in people, right? :/

The worst part is, it wasn’t even my Garmin! Ashley and I had swapped garmins halfway through the Crooms 50k last month and technically the now missing garmin is hers. 🙁 I feel awful. Of course she can keep the one that is technically mine or if a new one is purchased then I would insist the new one go to her. I’m so sorry Ashley!

Blah. What a way to start the day.

Breakfast just doesn’t seem as fun after you’ve spent over an hour crying over a lost garmin.

IMG_6621

I tried to perk myself up with an old favorite – two frozen van waffles that I topped with almond butter, strawberry jam, flax seeds, and cacao nibs.

IMG_6618

With an apple dusted with cinnamon on the side.

IMG_6619

Let’s hope there is still a little bit of good left in the world and the garmin will be returned to me quickly. If not I’m not sure what to do. :(

1 Sana May 5, 2010 at 8:48 am

Oh no! That is SOO WEIRD! What would the average non-runner do with a Garmin? It sucks even more that it was not yours. But you are a good friend!

2 Diana May 5, 2010 at 8:48 am

Ugh, I’m so sorry Meghann! I hope you find it!

3 Scott from YourInnerSkinny May 5, 2010 at 8:49 am

I’m sorry to hear that someone would do that… What’s the world coming to? Also, I hope Ashley doesn’t kick your ass!

4 Mellissa May 5, 2010 at 8:50 am

I hope whomever took it feels guilty and returns it!

5 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com May 5, 2010 at 8:50 am

Good luck!! Hopefully it was just a Good Samaritan!

6 midgetkeeper May 5, 2010 at 8:51 am

Oh no what a bummer, I hope it turns up!

7 megan May 5, 2010 at 8:52 am

wow, i hope you get it back. Hopefully it was turned in to lost and found or something like that. Or someone thought it was left there accidentally, not just that you ran inside for a minute and do that every day. I bet putting up posters will help for sure. I’m choosing to believe the best in people as well!

8 Lauren @ eater not a runner May 5, 2010 at 8:52 am

What an awful way to start the day! Hope it turns up 🙁

9 D May 5, 2010 at 8:52 am

Aw don’t worry about it. One time I left my boyfriends iPod at the gym and thought it was gone, but someone handed it into the front desk and I picked it up the next day. I definitely didn’t expect that! Maybe it was another early morning runner who knew the value of it and took it for safekeeping. Good luck!

10 Heather @ Side of Sneakers May 5, 2010 at 8:52 am

That’s horrible!!!! Fingers crossed it turns up…

11 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs May 5, 2010 at 8:53 am

:O Oh no, that’s awful!!! Maybe one of your neighbours picked it up thinking it had got lost? I hope it turns up 🙁

12 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 5, 2010 at 8:53 am

That’s devastating! I would be bawling.
Chances are it was stolen. Maybe someone knows your routine and finally took advantage.

13 Lauren May 5, 2010 at 8:54 am

So sorry about your loss! I hate that feeling in your stomach when you misplace something valuable. But like you I will keep the faith that someone took it out of good reason rather than stealing.

14 Meredith May 5, 2010 at 8:54 am

This is terrible! I definitely always hope for the best and see the good in people too, but since it went missing so quickly I almost wonder if someone had noticed your routine and was waiting around to take it? I really hope that’s not the case though! I’m crossing my fingers that it is safely returned to you in no time.

15 Danielle May 5, 2010 at 8:59 am

Oh no!! 🙁 I’m thinking maybe someone picked it up thinking that it was left there by mistake?? Or maybe a squirrel got it…? I hope you get it back!

16 Molly @fuelherup May 5, 2010 at 9:00 am

Ahhh! How awful! I hoooope that one of your neighbors saw it, thought, “Wow, that’s expensive! Someone’s probably looking for that!” and took it in for you!

17 epicourtusf May 5, 2010 at 9:02 am

You would think since it’s a GPS watch that you could somehow track the location when it’s on. I tried to google how to do it but couldn’t find anything 🙁 I hope someone returns it! I would cry if I lost mine, too.

18 NYCRunnerGirl May 5, 2010 at 9:02 am

Sorry Meghann! Hopefully a concerned neighbor thought that you left it there accidentally. Good luck!

19 Emilyeatsclean May 5, 2010 at 9:03 am

Ugh…that does suck!! I’m sorry your day started off so crappy!

-emily

20 Cassie May 5, 2010 at 9:03 am

Meghann, i’ve got my fingers crossed for you. Recently I left/dropped my wallet in the middle of center city philadelphia on a busy friday night and the entire thing was mailed back to me by some kind soul. I even had $200 worth of gift cards in there that were untouched! I hope that you are blessed with the same luck that I was – there are still some good people out there somewhere, I promise.

21 Jenna May 5, 2010 at 9:05 am

i hope you find that garmin!!
Jenna

22 legalb May 5, 2010 at 9:17 am

Meghann, I hope you find your Garmin. Usually hoodlums are not out at 6am, so hopefully a janitor or neighbour brought it to lost & found for you. Fingers crossed for a safe Garmin return! 🙂

23 Anne P May 5, 2010 at 9:21 am

Oh noooo that is so not cool 🙁 Here’s hoping someone just found it there and picked it up because they thought you had lost it!

24 Morgan @ Life After Bagels May 5, 2010 at 9:23 am

Oh that’s horrible. I literally GASPED when I read the title of your post. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you!

25 Michele May 5, 2010 at 9:24 am

Oh no that is such a bummer! Let’s hope for one of those good people…

26 runningwithsass May 5, 2010 at 9:25 am

how awful! SO sad someone would do that! It was probably some kid!! Maybe their parents will see and make them put it back!

27 kalli@fitandfortysomething May 5, 2010 at 9:25 am

oh mehgann! i am so sorry 🙂 i hope it turns up!

28 Meg May 5, 2010 at 9:26 am

Hope some good person turns it in to you Meghann 🙂 Keep your head up!!

29 Kelly L. May 5, 2010 at 9:30 am

Sorry about your missing Garmin but calm down. In the scheme of things a missing watch is not that important. A garmin doesn’t prevent you from running. Crap happens. It’s life.

30 Sana May 5, 2010 at 9:46 am

@Kelly: It just sucks to lose something and it was not her’s. Garmin’s are pretty expensive so I would be pissed if mine was stolen.

31 Jenna May 5, 2010 at 9:46 am

How about you have some sympathy? It’s not just a watch, it’s an expensive piece of equipment and it’s not even technically hers.

32 Kelly L. May 5, 2010 at 10:21 am

I’m not saying it doesn’t suck that the watch was lost but I’m sure someone will send her a replacement Garmin in a week. Plus, the girl who has hers will just keep that one. Meghann said it herself. I just get so frustrated when people get so upset of such little things. If losing a “recreational watch” is the worse thing that happens today I’d say it was a good day. Just my opinion. Not yours.

33 Meghann May 5, 2010 at 10:28 am

The girl who has my Garmin is having problems with it at the moment. My garmin is on the older side and doesn’t charge properly, but you’re right if hers is not found, then I will pay for a new one for her.

I know losing the garmin is not the end of the world, but I think I have every right to be sad and upset about losing such an expensive piece of technology. I think losing anything that means so much to a person is a good day to be sad. I would feel the same way if I lost my favorite tea mug, my running shoes, or my ring. No one likes to lose anything and that person has every right to grieve.

34 thedailyoatmeal May 5, 2010 at 9:49 am

Keep your chin up! I am continually surprised by people’s caring nature. I think the “pay it forward” concept has really stuck with some who will go out of their way for others.

When I had a bike accident a couple weeks ago I was stunned at the number of people who stopped to check that I was okay and had a way to get home! Maybe a kind stranger is holding it thinking someone dropped it and doesn’t want it to actually get stolen 🙂

35 ida May 5, 2010 at 9:51 am

that really sucks!! you should call your apt’s leasing office to see if someone turned the garmin in. good luck- i hope it get returned.

36 healthy ashley May 5, 2010 at 9:53 am

Oh no 🙁

Your Garmin never works for me 🙁

37 ginavan May 5, 2010 at 9:56 am

Sorry about your Garmin 🙁 Hope someone finds it soon and your day gets better!

38 Kelly May 5, 2010 at 9:59 am

That really sucks, I would be upset too. I hope it’s returned.

39 Steel Springs May 5, 2010 at 10:02 am

Oh no! Good luck finding your Garmin!

40 biz319 May 5, 2010 at 10:11 am

What a shitty way to start the day! I am sure someone will turn it in!! 😀

41 Beth May 5, 2010 at 10:13 am

That sucks! I hope you get it back, but if not, you can still run and train without a Garmin! My fiance has never used one, and he is a sub 3 hour marathoner. 🙂 So keep your chin up!

42 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 5, 2010 at 10:19 am

Good luck Meghann! Praying for it to have fallen into the hands of a good samaritan…

43 Madeline - Greens and Jeans May 5, 2010 at 10:19 am

Oh Meghann I hope the flyer works and someone feels incredibly guilty and turns it in!

44 Fallon May 5, 2010 at 10:26 am

Unbelievable! I hope someone is nice enough to return it. Sorry you had to start your morning off like that. Did you ever make it out for your run?

45 Meghann May 5, 2010 at 10:29 am

I didn’t. I was too upset scouring my complex looking for the garmin 🙁

46 KatieTX May 5, 2010 at 10:27 am

Oh no I hate losing stuff!!Why oh why would you walk away without your Garmin attached to your body!?

47 Erin May 5, 2010 at 10:32 am

Oh no! I really don’t understand some people…

48 missyrayn May 5, 2010 at 10:41 am

I’d like to believe someone thought you forgot it there and will return it to to you.

But that sucks.

49 Heather @ (The Single Dish) May 5, 2010 at 10:46 am

So. Not. Cool. Very sorry to hear that…I really hope you get it back!

50 Allie May 5, 2010 at 11:33 am

that stinks. what a crappy way to start the day- i really hope someone is guilted in to returning it. don’t beat yourself up about it- there’s nothing you can do now except live and learn.

51 Krista May 5, 2010 at 11:34 am

What a crap ass way to start your day, Meghann! 🙁 Hope you’re able to locate it!

52 Anna (twelve22) May 5, 2010 at 11:34 am

Aw, poo. I hope the Garmin finds its way back to you! I usually carry mine (with the device in my palm and the strap around my hand), because it’s too heavy for my feeble wrists, and I clutch it tightly whenever I pass a sewer grate or anything else that might want to claim it via gravity.

53 Alexa May 5, 2010 at 11:42 am

I would be heart broken!! Not only are Garmins not at all cheap, but now I can’t run without mine. Also, it kind of messes with your sense of security. Report back and let us know if you hear anything!

54 barbara May 5, 2010 at 11:43 am

Tomorrow, go there the exact same time frame and watch for people. Since most people are creatures of habit..you might find your man or woman. I love sleuthing:)

Good luck and that really bites!!!!!!

🙁

B

55 rc1001 May 5, 2010 at 11:46 am

I hope your garmin turns up! That is so disappointing when stuff like that happens.

Try to keep your chin up!

56 Marie May 5, 2010 at 11:49 am

That stinks, I hope it shows up. You must live in a really nice place that you feel comfortable leaving belongings unattended! I can’t imagine doing that where I live. However, good luck with relocating it!

57 Lisa May 5, 2010 at 12:15 pm

That sucks! I hope you find it!

58 aelipton May 5, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Oh no! I hope you find it! Keep the faith 🙂

59 lauren l. May 5, 2010 at 12:23 pm

sending positive thoughts your way! i lost my garmin on a rainy race day a couple months back (it fell out of my pocket where i was hiding it from the rain) but a good person found it and listed it on the lost and found on craig’s list! nice people are out there, i promise!

60 Tay May 5, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I’m so so so sorry!!! I really hope it turns up 🙁

61 Kelly May 5, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I am so sorry…that is awful! I hate it when people steal….ugh!

62 Paige (Two Runners And A Brown Dog) May 5, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I hope that someone picked it up (thinking someone had lost it), and maybe turned it into management or maintenance for “lost and found.” I sure hope it turns up!!!

63 Jenny May 5, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Maybe it will turn up! I’m sure Ashley will forgive ya… keep on believing in the best of people!

64 runnerforever May 5, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I am so sorry, that is horrible! It really does sound like it got stolen, but lets hold hope it turns up. My Garmin is my baby, so I really feel for ya. What is wrong with people!

65 Heather C May 5, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Ugh, I hope someone turns it in!! I can’t believe how quickly that thing disappeared! I’m guessing someone knew what they were taking, if thats the case. Sheesh!

I lost mine last summer after a run – I set it down to stretch, walked away (w/o thinking, obviously) and it was GONE. That was a Loooooong day – NOT FUN. I feel your pain! 🙁

66 Olivia May 5, 2010 at 1:16 pm

How horrible! I just about died when mine went black and it was under warrenty! I feel sooo bad for you. I hope you really did post those fliers and someone gets back to you!

67 thewhatkateateblog May 5, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Meghann this is such a bummer! I have faith that someone will return it.

68 lisaathome May 5, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Good luck finding it, Meghann! Yes, let us hope there is still some good left.

69 Jen Trinque May 5, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Oh no, I hope whoever took it has a good heart and returns it to you! Keep us updated!

70 td May 5, 2010 at 2:09 pm

If someone doesn’t return your Garmin, find out if you can file a claim with your renter’s insurance. Don’t know if you purchased renter’s insurance but my sister was able to file a claim with her renter’s insurance w/her purse snatching situation and she received a check for the contents of the purse less $50 deductible. It usually involves police report and notarized claim form so it’s a time-hassle but worth it for a pricey item like your Garmin.

71 Heather May 5, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I’m so sorry! I really hope you find it! I know they say people do just fine running without them, but I would feel naked without mine. If…when you find it, I bet you will never walk away from it again! Good luck!

72 Kat May 5, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Sorry to hear about your Garmin!!! I almost cannot run if I don’t have my Garmin, so I feel your pain!!! I will keep my fingers crossed that some kind soul will return it to you safe and sound. I had a race last weekend (half marathon) and my Garmin decided to kick the bucket the night before!!! Needless to say, it wasn’t the best race for me:)

73 brittany May 5, 2010 at 5:43 pm

It’s probably not going to get returned especially since it is so expensive and nice

74 Sam May 5, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I adore you and your blog, and I’m so sorry about your Garmin………but, I hope you’ll not leave your expensive devices unattended anymore. Things like that left alone, even for a second, are so snatchable! I hope it will be returned to you soon.

75 hungryforbalance May 6, 2010 at 3:12 pm

So sorry about your Garmin- what a bummer! Maybe it’ll turn up or be returned.