Arugula Love

by Meghann on May 4, 2010

When I was in San Francisco I had the most amazing salad from The Plant Cafe that was made entirely of arugula. The arugula was so peppery and had so much flavor that I instantly knew I would be making a switch from spinach to arugula in my typical lunch time salads as soon as I got home.

I picked up a large container of arugula yesterday and could not wait to make a salad of arugula for lunch.

IMG_6576

With the arugula I also had

• tomato
  • goat cheese
  • avocado
  • radishes
  • mushrooms
  • raspberry vinaigrette

I had no idea what I had been missing out on this whole time. The arugula was really what made this salad. Yum.

IMG_6575

On the side I was craving some carrot and almond butter.

IMG_6582

A winning combination you can not go wrong with.

IMG_6580

Mid-morning I snacked on some nuts and dried fruit.

IMG_6571

My cousin uploaded some old family photos over the weekend and I thought everyone would get a kick out of them.

(You can spot Kelly in these too!)

Above from L to R: Jessica (cousin), Me, Angela (cousin) in the front, Kelly looking adorable in the back

Oh the glasses!

Above from L to R: Kelly, Jessica, Josh (twin bro), Me, Angela

I had crossed eyes with I was younger and had surgery to correct them. After the surgery they made me wear these awful bi-focal glasses until I ‘accidentally’ lost them in 4th grade.

Above from L to R: Angela, Jessica, Josh, Me, Kelly

My eyes are fine now. I don’t even remember ever having problems seeing without glasses, I just wore them because I was suppose to.

I’m on of the few whose eyes got better with age, well… for now at least. 😉

Please tell me I’m not the only one who sported the big glasses back in the day?!?!

1 Sana May 4, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I wish I knew what arugula was! I rocked the big glasses! Now I wear contacts!

2 Diana May 4, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I’ve been wearing glasses since I was six! There are some pretty funny pictures from when I was younger :p
That salad looks really good, Meghann!

3 Emily May 4, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Oh! I sported the glasses too, but I was a little older (6th grade-ish). I had an ear-piercing problem and the cartilage died in my left ear. This caused my glasses to be crooked so I ALWAYS used that excuse not to wear them. Finally when I was “mature” enough my mom allowed me to get contacts !

I don’t think I’ve ever seen arugula in my grocery store. Maybe I’m not looking hard enough! The salad looks good none-the-less! 😀

4 Jen Trinque May 4, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Meghann, I got glasses when I was 3 years old!!! And they were hideous, let me tell you. I had a pair with strawberries in the corners. My mother insists it was adorable, I think otherwise. I definitely need something to help me see, but I switched to contacts long ago!

5 britchickruns May 4, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Awh you were tooo cute!! I didn’t have big glasses when I was little…but I tried on some VERY similar to yours just yesterday in Urban Outiftters – you obvs set a trend there 😛

6 Mary May 4, 2010 at 3:33 pm

You’re not alone. i definitely sported big glasses back in the day, as well as braces and headgear 🙂

7 Angela May 4, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Arugula can be referred to as Rocket – I’ve noticed that at some local grocery stores in NYC. It’s definitely one of my favorite greens – nice and spicy.

I didn’t have glasses until I was older, but that means that my eyes are still changing so even though I’d really like Lasik, I’m not eligible. 🙁

8 Chloe May 4, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I’ve never had glasses, but definitely rocked the side-ponytail with some sweet leggings. I love looking at old pictures!

9 Amy @ Second City Randomness May 4, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I never had the glasses… but I made up for it with my super awesome permed bangs. No need to perm everything- just the bangs. And I ROCKED them…

10 NYCRunnerGirl May 4, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I picked up arugula at the grocery this week for the first time ever. Last night I made a side salad for dinner – wow, what a difference!! I feel the same way as you, that I was missing out on it while using spinach all this time.

Nice specs! I never wore big glasses as a little kid, but I wear glasses now as a big kid 🙂

11 Erin May 4, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I had a huge pink pair of glasses-so funny to look back on now!

Major arugula love. I used to hate it but it’s really popular in the UK (and called “rocket”) and suddenly, I developed a taste for it.

12 Heather @ Side of Sneakers May 4, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Not only did I sport giant glasses but I also had a mouth full of metal. Oh yeahhh, I was cool.

13 Ellen May 4, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I wore glasses from 4th grade ’til my senior year when I was finally mature enough for contacts. I finally got lasik in December 2008. My first pair of glasses were ‘blue jean’ design and they were huge!

14 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 4, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Arugula is the best, by far. I like it at breakfast topped with 2 poached eggs, salt, pepper, and a dash of balsamic.

15 runningwithsass May 4, 2010 at 4:09 pm

cute pics! sorry, no big glasses, but I am suppsoed to wear glasses now! my sister had some, but she was like 12, and while they were still big theyw ere not quite THAT big!

16 Jenny May 4, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I never had to wear glasses! Part of me feels like I’m missing out on stylish frames!

17 BethT May 4, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Corey used to “accidentally” lose his glasses, as well. Let’s hope our child does not continue that trend.

18 Bethany @ Not Unless I'm Being Chased May 4, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I totally rocked the giant glasses look. In fact, when I got my first pair (circa second grade) I wanted a pair just like my dad’s: huge, tortoise-shell, plastic.
It must have looked strange to everyone seeing a 7-year-old in such “mature” and manly looking glasses. 🙂
I wear contacts now, thank God.

19 midgetkeeper May 4, 2010 at 4:13 pm

So cute!

I had huge glasses too, only my eyes have gotten way worse 🙁

My Husband had to wear bifocals when he was younger too, and his eyes aren’t bad at all now.

20 thewhatkateateblog May 4, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Haha! I love the photos! I havent ever worn glasses but I still have some hilariously ridiculous photos from my childhood.

21 Cristal May 4, 2010 at 4:23 pm

OMG!!!! I had that same sailor dance costume when I was little! How funny : )

22 Gwen May 4, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I see your glasses and raise you a MULLET!

23 Andrea May 4, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Ha! You look so cute in those glasses!

24 hundredtenpounds May 4, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I burned all the pictures of me in HUGE glasses. UGH!!!!

25 Lisa @ bakebikeblog May 4, 2010 at 5:04 pm

oh those photos are too adorable 🙂
Quick Q – is arugula the same as rocket ? They look similar and I am thinking it is probably called rocket in Australia?

26 Lizz @ leading the good life May 4, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Yup, I got glasses when I was 7 (1st grade). My eyes are pretty bad. Even my eye doctor says “So you have one bad eye and one really bad eye.” Yeesh!

My poor little brother had to wear an eye patch!! He had surgery to correct his wandering eye, too – poor thing.

27 heypgh May 4, 2010 at 5:17 pm

haha…i had big glasses as well. so did my mom, my cousins, my aunts, everyone. we look at pics and are like ‘what the hell? were we trying to see out of our cheeks?’..haha

28 Ally May 4, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I had these HUGE pink and purple like swirl design glasses that I thought we so freaking cool. My gosh, I look at pictures of them now and they were HUGE. They took up like half my face.

And for some odd reason I thought those looked good. Ha! The ones I occasionally wear (I prefer contacts) are a simple black square frame.

I wish my eyes had gotten better with age!

29 Morgan @ Life After Bagels May 4, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I really have never gotten into arugula. Really, whenever I eat it I’m usually BLECHHHH what’s all the fuss about. Even vegetarians can’t love every vegetable, hahaha!

30 Becky May 4, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I definitely sported some big glasses as a kid! I thought I was the coolest. I wanted braces, too…no such luck! I used to walk around wearing my huge glasses and a sports mouthguard to really kick things up a notch. LOL – kids are too funny.

31 Matt May 4, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Mmmm I love arugula. It is a nice change from spinach.

32 Kelly May 4, 2010 at 6:44 pm

I love the pictures!!! It is so fun to see childhood photos!

33 Julie @savvyeats May 4, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Ah yes, I do not miss the days of my huge glasses.

34 modernation May 4, 2010 at 7:01 pm

OMG – I had those same hexagon shaped glasses! The worst part is I picked them out. They were lavender. My mom suggested simple thin brown frames but I HAD to have the purple ones. I got both and when they arrived I HATED the purple ones. My parents made me wear them half the days of every week. I definitely learned a valuable lesson! Especially when I forgot to take them off before they snapped my 3rd grade class photo. HAHA.

35 theprocessofhealing May 4, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Awwww those are the CUTEST pictures!!!!

36 Katherine: What About Summer? May 4, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I kindof want glasses now- would it be terrible for me to wear them if I dont need any?

37 Alice May 4, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I was so excited when I first got my glasses! I was 10. It was like, the coolest thing to get glasses back in the day. Wtf?

I freaking hate having to wear glasses now. So many of my friends still say they wish they had them??

38 Lisa May 4, 2010 at 7:26 pm

lol you were sooo cute!! I had glasses as a kid as well and “accidentally” lost them too. Hooray for growing older, maturing, and growing into our looks! lol 🙂

39 Michelle May 4, 2010 at 7:36 pm

I just ate arugula for the first time last week and I really like it! It can definitely make a salad fantastic 🙂

40 amandapanda1981 May 4, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I wore the huge plastic frames with 2 in thick lenses. It was bad. Thank God for my LASIK!! ha ha Btw, never thought about almond butter and carrots before. Interesting….

41 GM May 4, 2010 at 8:47 pm

AWW I remember those pcis.. Who posted?? Ang or Jess?

42 Meghann May 4, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Jessica posted them and I remember that pool in your backyard now. 🙂

43 GM May 4, 2010 at 8:49 pm

the first Pic is in my backyard!!!

44 inmytummy May 4, 2010 at 9:53 pm

I accidently lost my flute when I was in 4th grade. I did not want to be in the band.

45 chasingthenow May 4, 2010 at 9:54 pm

NO! I had some awful, awful glasses back in the day. Thank God for contacts.

46 Rose May 4, 2010 at 9:58 pm

The title of this post reminded me of a former band I was in called Arugula Warehouse. Now there’s a story for the blog.

47 Emilyeatsclean May 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Are you kidding me?!?! My glasses in elementary school were ridiculous!!! I was a total dork! I was nearsided in one eye and farsided in the other and one eye was much worse than the other…..therefore, I had a really think lens only on one side!! 🙂 I still have “split” vision, but its got better as I got older too. All I can say is thank goodness for contacts or I would still look like a dork daily!!!!

-emily

48 jessica May 4, 2010 at 11:25 pm

You were SO cute with glasses!

49 Anne P May 5, 2010 at 9:22 am

HA! Those were the cutest photos 🙂

50 Kyle May 5, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I sported HUGE glasses when I was age 2 through 12, when I got contacts. My mom had a cruel sense of humor.

51 Michael@ bifocal contact lenses August 1, 2011 at 9:11 pm

You looks great without the glasses.
I tried so many times for not using glasses, instead I used contact lenses. That would be more effective, I suppose. I just cannot believe that your eyes got better with age, but now I have to admit that I am impressed.:)
Michael@ bifocal contact lenses recently posted..Protect Your Eyes with UV Protection Contacts

{ 1 trackback }