A Marketer's Dream

by Meghann on May 4, 2010

I am a marketer’s dream.

• If I see a commercial featuring a new product I automatically think to myself that I want to try it.
  • When ever I get an e-mail from one of my favorite stores, I absentmindedly click over and immediately begin filling up my shopping cart even though I rarely hit the ‘check out’ button. (p.s. all dresses are 40% off right now at anntaylorloft.com!)
  • I’m more likely to purchase an item if it comes in pretty packaging
  • AND if I discover a fun product at my local grocery store that I’ve seen featured on one of my favorite blogs, then I will more than likely pick it up to try for myself.

See – a market’s DREAM! πŸ™‚

Lately I’ve seen these Gardein Beefless Tips pop up on a few different blogs. They’ve received pretty good reviews, so when I came across them at the frozen section of Publix I decided to try one out for myself.

The ‘beef’ tips were rather easy to cook. I just seared them on the stove top for about 5 minutes before adding some BBQ sauce.

I added the bbq tips to a sprouted hot dog bun with arugula and diced onions on top.

The tips were not bad at all. They reminded me of some meatless meat balls I’ve had in the past. They were chewy, tasty, and a great alternative to real beef tips. Do they really taste like meat? Nope, but what fake meat products really do? πŸ™‚

Along with the bbq beef roll, I had some parsnips and broccoli that I had roasted for 20 minutes at 415.

And a pickle.

This afternoon I had some TJ’s Peanut Butter Pretzels while trying to get some e-blasts out for work.

My evening ended on a sweet note with another third of my Seeded Dagoba Bar and a chocolate mint saltwater taffy.

The chocolate mint taffy was no good at all. It reminded me too much of minty toothpaste. Blah.

I’m currently going through a major online shopping kick. I wish I had time to really go shopping, it just isn’t the same without having the ability to try anything on. *sniff *sniff

1 Evan Thomas May 4, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I was just thinking today about how I’ve probably spent a small fortune on GTS kombucha, and it’s all because they sent me 4 free ones. If a company sends me samples and I like it, I go crazy

2 kamadavitta May 4, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I totally get that! I just spent $11.00 on Nutzo because of seeing it in the blog world. It is SO delicious though!

3 Shayna May 4, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Nom! That all looks pretty tasty (save for that chocolate mint taffy). The “beef” tips looked questionable at first, but the BBQ sauce changed everything. It’s too bad we’ve come so far with science and yet can’t make a meat-tasting meat substitute.

4 Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries May 4, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I’ve been dying to try TJ’s PB pretzels! I bet they would be awesome dipped in chocolate.. πŸ™‚

5 weightwatchingfoodie May 4, 2010 at 9:54 pm

I do the same thing. I shop with my sister and I will say things like “Biz said this was good..or Roni made this..” lol…She never knows who I am talking about and always asks “who??”

6 Ash Bear May 4, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I too am going through an online shopping kick! Target.com delivered 2 adorable dresses today! That dinner looks delicious!

7 theprocessofhealing May 4, 2010 at 10:02 pm

That product sounds really good!!! I’m a marketer’s dream too.. so gullible!

8 Emilyeatsclean May 4, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Love your “Marketer’s Dream” comments….hilarious!! I need to try some more meatless products….thanks for sharing your review on these with us.

-emily

9 fromasesameseed May 4, 2010 at 10:45 pm

get the fake gardein chicken fingers.

10 rebecca lustig May 4, 2010 at 10:46 pm

you know wahts even better? tjs CHOC covered peanut butter pretzels. heaven.

hope youre taking care!

11 ellaroo88 May 4, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Looks yummy! What is in the “fake” meat? Is it veggie or tofu?

12 missyrayn May 4, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Me too. I tend to put things in my grocery cart and walk around the store with them to decide if really want them.

I love the Gardein products. I just bought another today.

13 Melissa @ For the Love of Health May 4, 2010 at 11:11 pm

well that makes two of us LOL I am a shopper too
I love the food photos- amazing!

14 Jenny May 4, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Wow, I think you should get commission off the money I’m about to spend at ann taylor!

15 Anna (twelve22) May 5, 2010 at 12:01 am

Ooh, I recently tried the Gardein Trio with Burgundy ‘beef’ tips, and I thought that was pretty good — I’ll have to keep an eye out for the plain ones!

16 Michelle May 5, 2010 at 12:42 am

I definitely used to be a Marketer’s Dream. Anything I saw on TV I wanted. I’ve found myself resisting some of the products I’ve seen other bloggers use because 1. 90% of the time it’s another nut butter. And I have 5. And I’m moving in just a few weeks so no more nut butters. and 2. I’m trying to cut down on my grocery bills, so impulse buying has become a major no-no.

17 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 5, 2010 at 2:32 am

Where did you buy your taffy? In SF? The chocolate mint is usually a little too weird… but the regular peppermint is amazing πŸ™‚

18 britchickruns May 5, 2010 at 3:16 am

I ALWAYS do that! Browse through online stores and load up the basket absentmindedly…thank goodness I come to before the checkout!
Your dinner look verrrry tasty:)

19 Becky May 5, 2010 at 7:11 am

I’m the same way! It’s only gotten worse since I started reading blogs because I want to try EVERYTHING I see! I love buying new running gadgets and clothes, too. My list goes on…happy shopping!

20 Brittany May 5, 2010 at 8:06 am

I’m a marketer’s dream as well. When the package lists all the stuff it can do I automatically believe it. Which is crazy, because both you and I are in the marketing field – we should be keen on their little schemes to make us buy. haha

21 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 5, 2010 at 8:07 am

Nice review. Usually I try to stay away from imposters, like fake meat.

22 NYCRunnerGirl May 5, 2010 at 8:07 am

I have been online shopping SO much lately. It’s getting pretty bad, but I just love getting packages! πŸ˜‰ It is hard not trying stuff on though, even from stores I shop at all the time. Then when I make returns, I tend to browse and maybe purchase, too. Not good for the wallet…

23 Erica May 5, 2010 at 8:20 am

Gardein is awesome! Their crispy chicken tenders are a favorite of Josh & I (and they actually taste like chicken tenders to me!). You should give them a go

24 Raya May 5, 2010 at 8:36 am

That sandwich looks yummy!! I haven’t seen those “beef tips” yet but I might try them out now!

25 Simply Life May 5, 2010 at 8:38 am

wow, I am so impressed at how pretty you make that look in the bun!

26 Lauren May 5, 2010 at 8:53 am

I love Publix! My dear friend lives in South Carolina and whenever I visit I immediately make her take me there. There seems to be so much more variety there than in PA stores. I wish I could shop there daily!

27 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com May 5, 2010 at 9:09 am

I got to satisfy my shopping bug for a minute when I did my Mother’s Day shopping. πŸ™‚

28 Ilana May 5, 2010 at 11:25 am

LMAO I put myself on a shopping ban this year, because I totally used to do that and kind of blew a lot of money I probably needed so I could pay bills and stuff (whoops). So glad to see I’m not the only one πŸ™‚

29 BroccoliHut May 5, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I’m the same way–if it says “new” or “improved” on the package, I’m sold on the product.
I’ve been having fun with Gardein products lately. I just used those beefless tips in a Greek wrap the other–I highly recommend it!