more ยป" />

Post Vacation Blues

by Meghann on May 3, 2010

I have a serious case of the post vacation blues.

When our plane finally landed in Tampa 2 hours later than originally scheduled this morning I was tired, dirty, hungry, and very sad. I was on the verge of tears and I wasn’t really sure why. Usually I’m more than ready to get home, I think this just goes to show you this trip wasn’t even close to being long enough. :(

At least I was greeted by one happy face that made me feel better.

Derek’s brother had been watching Maddie in our absence and from what I’ve heard it was a constant battle between Maddie permanently hiding under his bed and Tyler plain giving up on even attempting to place her in the crate. I think both Tyler and Maddie were equally pleased to see our return. :)

We made a pit stop on the way back to Derek’s apartment from the airport at Whole Foods for some hot bar action.

I tried to stick with the veggie options and loaded them on. :)

The trip back to Orlando was a long and boring one. Nothing like making a 2 hour drive after flying for 10+ hours, right?

The good news is that I did make it home and being home felt good. :)

I snacked on a mini bowl of cereal before heading to the gym.

Aww.. the gym. How I’ve missed thee. :)

I did a very mellow 30 minutes on the elliptical machine while reading the latest issue of Self.

I, also, attended my first group Kick Boxing class and all I can say is Wow!

That class was awesome. It was high intensity, had me constantly moving on my toes, and left me drenched in sweat. Big bonus – the instructor wasn’t bad to look at either. ;) I can’t wait to take this class again!

After class I made a quick tortilla pizza for dinner.

On my tortilla

• marinara sauce
  • arugula
  • mushrooms
  • radishes
  • sun dried tomatoes
  • onion
  • goat cheese

Baked at 415 for 5 minutes

I enjoyed a little piece of San Francisco for dessert

I had 1/3 of the bar with two giant strawberries.

You know what’s the best way to beat the post-vacation blues? Start planning your next one!

Oh where, oh were will that be? ;)

1 Sana May 3, 2010 at 10:12 pm

It does suck to come home form something that amazing but there will be more!!

2 Ash Bear May 3, 2010 at 10:28 pm

NYC, Chicago, or maybe DC ;)

3 Erin @ Cooking and the City May 3, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Totally having the post-vacation blues too! It’s even sadder when you come home to weather that is worse than where you left from…doesn’t make sense that NYC is hotter and humider than Mexico?!?

Will be right there with ya eating lots of veggies all week :)

4 Laura Georgina May 3, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Coming home is always rough! But a good night’s sleep always puts things right again.

5 sweetandsweat May 3, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Nothing like WF to make up for hours of sitting on a plane! I’m glad you enjoyed your time in California! Also, Dagoba chocolate is sooo yummy. I had some lavender Dagoba chocolate today. Where do they think of their flavors?!

6 Julie @ Wearing Mascara May 3, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I hear you. After vacations, I get the blues too. Hang in there – Maddie is so cute.

7 Emilyeatsclean May 3, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Maddie is happy to see her Mama! :)

8 Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition May 3, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Coming home from a vacation is always the worst! Esp when you have such a great time. Always an adjustment period.

I’m always wanted to try a kick boxing class! I think it would be fun to punch (hhaa)

Love the Whole Foods Eats– I live 3 blocks away from a Whole Foods in NYC–DANGEROUS! (It’s where I spend all my money–forget clothes–I’m all about food )

9 Jenna May 3, 2010 at 11:17 pm

I am always sooo depressed and sad when I return back from vacations and it takes me a few days to get back in the swing of things!

10 Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries May 3, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Your pizza looks so impressive! Yumm :)

11 Cassie May 3, 2010 at 11:39 pm

What kind of marinera sauce do you use?

12 Lea May 3, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Wish you could have stayed longed! Yesterday was 81 degrees out and soo hot though!! I’m heading to Stanford and the ferry buildig tomorrow, wish you were still in town!!

13 Michelle May 4, 2010 at 12:06 am

I can’t believe you workout after so much traveling! My body hates me after I travel.

14 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 4, 2010 at 12:09 am

I think when I am on the plane (or in the car) on my way home from vacation, that is exactly what I start doing: planning the next trip! Even if it is not for a while, nothing wrong with getting excited, right? :) You have gotten to enjoy some awesome travels lately! What is next on the list?

15 Kellie May 4, 2010 at 12:22 am

At least chocolate makes you feel better, right?!

16 Lisa @ bakebikeblog May 4, 2010 at 12:27 am

Radishes on a pizza??? PURE GENIUS!!

17 britchickruns May 4, 2010 at 2:10 am

Coming home is often the worst bit :(
Haha at the kickboxing instructor! A pleasant view always makes things easier :D I love kickboxing as well, I have lots of homework DVDs for it – so fun!

18 Erica May 4, 2010 at 6:26 am

I always suffer from post vaca blues! I think its the little kid inside each of us screaming Nooooo I don’t want to go back :) Glad you enjoyed the group fitness class :) and hooray for the hottie instructor. The pizza looks amazing- goat cheese is too good!

19 Matt May 4, 2010 at 6:32 am

Glad you made it back safe and sound!

20 shelly May 4, 2010 at 7:23 am

The worst part of getting back from vaca is the laundry!!
I have recently been introduced to Self magazine and love it.

21 dianacheung May 4, 2010 at 7:40 am

that’s how me and my bf are…we get so sad when returning home that we start talking about our NEXT trip. fab pizza!! mmm!

22 Kelly May 4, 2010 at 7:42 am

Coming home does suck, but planning another one is fun too!

23 Kareen May 4, 2010 at 8:05 am

I agree, the best cure is to plan a new trip.
I just love doing research to find the best deal, packing the right stuff and just thinking about those good times!
Welcome back home!
I am looking forward to hearing all about your next adventure!

24 whitinspired May 4, 2010 at 8:27 am

I get vacation blues every single time. The worst was after my honeymoon in Hawaii. I was miserable. Planning your next trip is the best remedy!

25 Christina May 4, 2010 at 8:29 am

LOL I really like your way of beating the post vacation blues!

26 Carolyn @ lovinlosing May 4, 2010 at 8:51 am

I’m headed out of town to Florida on Friday to visit my mom for her birthday and mother’s day. I can’t wait!! Hopefully the beaches aren’t covered in oil since I’m going to Pensacola.

27 runningwithsass May 4, 2010 at 9:00 am

I always get post vacation blues, i hate them! makes me so sad

28 Beth @ DiningAndDishing May 4, 2010 at 10:02 am

Kick boxing is my absolute FAVE group class at the gym. I like taking it on Saturday mornings esp. when I can punch out all my stress from the week! I feel like a million bucks after :).

29 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad May 4, 2010 at 10:39 am

I <3 Dagoba, and I've been looking for that seeds bar everywhere!

30 pamplemousse21 May 4, 2010 at 12:20 pm

You’re so right – planning the next holiday is the ONLY way to get over post holiday blues! It can be costly though!!

31 hundredtenpounds May 4, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I get the post-vacation blues too. Sometimes taking an extra day off to relax helps.

32 Danielle May 4, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I think it’s awesome that you got right back to your normal eating habits and even made it to the gym when you returned home. I know it sounds silly, but I’m so impressed! I love reading your blog and it really inspires me to live a healthier lifestyle and get moving, even when I don’t want to!

I can’t wait to hear what you’re planning next :)

33 hungryforbalance May 5, 2010 at 10:32 am

That’s how vacations should be- wishing they didn’t have to end. I’m glad you posted that chocolate. I haven’t seen that flavor yet but it sounds delish!

34 Lisa March 21, 2011 at 5:37 pm

It is SO hard getting back to the grind after a vacation! I just got back from a week in Tucson. I’m now in Portland with rain and gray skies. Blah. :(