Over the Bridge

by Meghann on May 1, 2010

If ever there was a perfect day to explore San Francisco – I think today was it! We had clear blue skies, temps in the 60, and just the right amount of wind. I’ have officially been spoiled.

IMG_6048

Derek told me I had to lead with the above photo in my post today. I had to  concur. 🙂

Despite staying up until 3:00am Florida time last night, I still woke up naturally around 6:30am local time this morning. I have a severe inability to sleep in, even on vacation. 🙁

That’s ok though. It gave me extra time to catch up with my gracious hostess, who was kind enough to proved a view of my favorite breakfast staples for breakfast this morning.

IMG_5949

My bowl had Kashi H2H, Shredded Oats, Plain Greek Yogurt, Apple, Kiwi, and Peanut Butter.

IMG_5953

Over breakfast Beth and Cory helped Derek and I plan out day in the city.

We started with a visit to some famous Painted Ladies.

IMG_5954

What ever happened to predictibility?
The milkman, the paperboy, evening TV.
Everywhere you look , everywhere you go (there’s a heart).
There’s a heart
A hand to hold onto.
Everywhere you look , everywhere you go.
There’s a face
Of somebody who needs you.
Everywhere you look,
When you’re lost out there and you’re all alone,
A light is waiting to carry you home,
Everywhere you look.
Everywhere you look.

IMG_5958

I’m ashamed to admit how many times I’ve had that song playing while in the city. What can I say? I grew up on Full House! Such a great show of my youth. 🙂

IMG_5973

IMG_5979

Yesterday Derek was all about driving on Lombard St, today it was the Golden Gate Bridge.

IMG_5983

IMG_5988

IMG_5989

IMG_6002 IMG_5999

I love how cyclist friendly the bay area is and how brave the cyclists are. I think I would be crapping my pants riding my bike down these roads.

IMG_6011

Derek and I made our way to Sausalito for the morning.

IMG_6014

Sausalito is a cute little town on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge with a gorgeous view of San Francisco.

IMG_6027 IMG_6028

Derek and I took our time exploring the town and check out all the stores.

IMG_6035

We stopped for some hot tea and a snack around 10:00.

IMG_6029 IMG_6031IMG_6030

Derek ordered an everything bagel with cream cheese

IMG_6032

And shared a quarter of it with me.

IMG_6033

IMG_6040

Derek did not have too many requests for this vacation, but one of the big ones was to have Clam Chowder Soup served in a sourdough bread bowl from Boudin in the Fisherman’s Warf.

IMG_6054

We split a Clam Chowder and a spring salad.

IMG_6055

We split the two items 75/25. Derek had 75% of the Chowder and Bread Bowl and I had 75% of the salad. 🙂

IMG_6058 IMG_6057

IMG_6059

He was one happy boy. 🙂

IMG_6060

Next the Ferry Building.

IMG_6061

The last time I was in San Francisco I stayed right next to the Ferry Building and spent the majority of my trip inside. It’s such a fun food place and one worth walking around if you’ve never been to the area. 🙂

IMG_6063

The lavender blueberry was ok. I preferred the nibbles I had of Derek’s Mocha Dark Chocolate Bar. 😉

IMG_6066

On my life’s goals list I have several running related to dos. One of which I was able to accomplish this afternoon when Derek and i laced up our running shows and headed across the bridge.

IMG_1019

It was windy and slightly cold, but so much fun!

IMG_1012 IMG_1014 IMG_1016 IMG_1005 IMG_1009

Derek –“Meghann, what are you doing?”

Me – “Huh?”

Derek – “You’re running the Golden Gate Bridge ( screaming like a young girl)”

Me – woo hoo (also screaming like a little girl. 🙂

IMG_1018

IMG_1021

Beth had asked me the other week what Derek and I would want for dinner tonight. I told her something that SCREAMS San Francisco, with really no clue what that really meant.

Turns out San Francisco food could be anything and everything, including Burmese food
🙂

IMG_6070

IMG_6072

IMG_6071

IMG_6074

Out hosts for the trip. 🙂

IMG_6078 IMG_6077

I’ve never had Burmese Food and was really excited for something new and different.

IMG_6079

IMG_6093 IMG_6092

I started with a signature cocktail, which contained lemon, ginger, and beer.

IMG_6083

I was afraid the ginger was going to be too strong, but the combination was perfect. I would compare it to a very light ginger beer. 🙂

The table started with Platha and Dip Multi layered bread served with a coconut chicken curry sauce

IMG_6089

We all wanted to bathe in the coconut chicken curry sauce.

IMG_6090

The sauce was out of this world. It was the perfect amount of sweet and savory. 🙂

Beth and I decided to share a couple of choices, rather than order two things of our own.

IMG_6110

Tea Leaf Salad*
Featured on Food Network
Yes, we really do go to Burma to get the tea for this salad, and it’s worth the trip. With textures from fried garlic, peanuts

IMG_6124   IMG_6122

IMG_6127

The fermented tea leaves were not the stars of this dish as i had expected, it was actually all the unique textures that all the nuts and seeds brought. Each bite had a great crunch.

IMG_6132

Vegetarian Samusa Soup
Featured on Food Network and Bay Area Backroads!
Even though it’s vegetarian, this remains our most popular soup for both meat eaters and vegetarians alike

IMG_6100

Beth and I both decided it was the graham masala spice that gave this dish an almost smoky taste. There was a definite spiciness to this dish, but nothin too powerful. 🙂

IMG_6109

I had a small bite of Corey’s great noodle dish as well.

IMG_6133

Everything was soo GOOD! Burmese food is comprised of very unique flavor combinations that were right up my all. Nom
Nom Nom 🙂

The four of usw were dreaming of dessert before we were even seated for dinner.

IMG_6145

Beth and Corey too us to a local hot sot , Mitchell’s, for some after dinner ice cream.

IMG_6139 IMG_6140

Purple Yam?

IMG_6141

I must try that one!

IMG_6147

It was expecting something exotic, but it tasted kind of like purple dyed vanilla. :/

I ended up with a scoop of the Grasshopper Pie

IMG_6150

Mint + Chocolate = Ice Cream Perfection. 🙂

IMG_6153 IMG_6148

Many Thanks to Beth and Cory for a great evening out AND for putting Derek and I up last night and tonight. 🙂

Tomorrow Derek and I head to Sonoma for some wine country. We have a tour that starts at 10:00am sharp. It’s going to be epic! 😉

Good night!

1 Nicci@NiftyEats May 1, 2010 at 2:31 am

The sourdough bread bowl looks amazing. Beatiful weather in San Fran, I can’t wait to visit that city. I think it would be so much fun to run on that bridge.

2 Lea May 1, 2010 at 2:33 am

I practically live in the ferry building!! Love it! Also love Boudin bakery!! The best bread!! Have fun in Sanoma! I’ll be in Napa on Wednesday!!!

3 chasingthenow May 1, 2010 at 3:05 am

Looks like an amazing trip so far! Keep us posted!

4 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs May 1, 2010 at 3:20 am

Oooh it seems like you’re having an amazing time! The Burmese food sounds interesting, andrunning across that bridge! What a cool moment 🙂

5 Katie May 1, 2010 at 5:41 am

I LOVE San Francisco! I want to bike across the Golden Gate bridge, someday someday! The views there are just out of this world and I didn’t explore the food there, but I’ve heard it’s amazing! Did you enjoy Ike’s? I’m an avid Man Vs Food watcher and was dying to go there, but didn’t make it when I got out there in September!

6 sarah (the SHU box) May 1, 2010 at 5:41 am

oh i LOVE burmese superstar!!! went there last year when i was in SF.

in sonoma, you probably have restaurant plans already, but if not i recommend the girl and the fig — SO GOOD and cute and lovely. looks like you are having a blast!

7 PRT May 1, 2010 at 5:56 am

Gosh, I love San Francisco! Five years ago when I was there for a week I couldn’t stop eating the crab chowder in sourdough bread. It’s amazing! And city and people are terrific. How I wish I could be there right now!

Hope you’re having an amazing time

8 Mary May 1, 2010 at 6:01 am

Great pictures! Have fun wine tasting! 🙂

9 Simply Life May 1, 2010 at 6:42 am

I’ve been wanting to go there for a while and now I REEEALY want to go! 🙂

10 midgetkeeper May 1, 2010 at 7:20 am

What a day, seeing these pictures have definitely convinced me that I must go to San Francisco. It looks amazing!

11 Kath May 1, 2010 at 7:24 am

Fun times!

Be careful when you sing the Full House song that there are no pedestrians nearby 😉

12 Anna May 1, 2010 at 7:29 am

Ahhh, so jealous!!! I’ve only been to SF once, but it was amazing! Have fun in wine country!

13 Marisa (Loser for Life) May 1, 2010 at 8:04 am

Looks like such a great time! And great food! I loved Sausalito!

Can’t wait to hear about Sonoma 🙂

14 culturalcravings May 1, 2010 at 8:11 am

Your trip looks amazing! I love that you have so many goals / things to do on your trip itinerary…and that so many of them are food related!

I’ve never had burmese food…I wonder if I can find some in the city over here.

15 Evan Thomas May 1, 2010 at 8:16 am

What an amazing and fun day!

16 Matt May 1, 2010 at 8:27 am

Looks like an amazing trip so far!

17 jentrinque May 1, 2010 at 8:34 am

I was visiting a friend who lives outside of San Fran earlier this year, and every time we went into the city I also started singing the Full House theme song! My boyfriend thought I was nuts 🙂

Have an awesome time in wine country!

18 Jenna May 1, 2010 at 8:37 am

Wow! Looks like you are having a great time and you two are super cute 😉
Jenna

19 Lauren @ Eater not a runner May 1, 2010 at 8:55 am

LOVE Full House!!

20 christina cadden May 1, 2010 at 8:57 am

We loved San Fran when we went! Have fun in wine country. It is so pretty there!

21 clairedille May 1, 2010 at 9:03 am

This all sounds so great, I am so jealous you got to run across the bridge! I didn’t get a chance last time…must remember next time. Burmese food looks delicious and can’t wait to read about Sonoma!

22 Duchess of Fork May 1, 2010 at 9:04 am

We went to many of the same places in San Francisco! We went to that little bakery in Sausalito and Boudins. The sour dough is amazing there! Hope your weekend is just as much fun. 🙂

23 Erin May 1, 2010 at 9:07 am

All that food looks A-mazing!

24 Jenny May 1, 2010 at 9:40 am

Wow sausolito looks sooo beautiful! Glad you’re having a great time!

25 Amy @ Second City Randomness May 1, 2010 at 9:57 am

I’d love to get to run on the Golden Gate Bridge! That’s just awesome!

26 gavrielski May 1, 2010 at 10:41 am

Congratulations on your running dream–isn’t the Bridge beautiful?! Burma Superstar is one of my all-time favorites! I’m so happy you tried the tea lea salad. Can’t wait to hear more tomorrow! 🙂

27 theprocessofhealing May 1, 2010 at 10:45 am

Wow, what a trip!!! And it looks like you are enjoying beautiful weather! I’m sure that this a trip you and Derek will remember forever!

28 Michelle May 1, 2010 at 10:58 am

I love love love Boudin!!!! I absolutely have to get their veggie sandwich when I go there. Too bad Boudin is only in California 🙁

29 Ariffa May 1, 2010 at 11:03 am

looks like your having a great time! awesome food, I’m getting flashbacks of my San-Fran trip last summer =( love that place, have fun!!

30 Kelly May 1, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Looks like you are having a great time, I am very jealous!

31 Beth @ fatbustermack May 1, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Mmmm those flavors of ice cream look amazing! Love the pictures of the bridge! San Fran is gorgeous!

32 rollerkoesterrun May 1, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I am loving your vaca pics! You can tell more than ever how in love you too are… AWWW! 🙂
My fav is the pic in Sausalito… looks like Derek is kissing the side of your head… too adorable! Enjoy the rest of your vaca together!

~Christie

33 Taysa (Water, Butter and Wine) May 1, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Burma Superstar and Mitchell’s really are a couple of SF-locals favorites. Beth picked some great spots!

34 Emilyeatsclean May 1, 2010 at 1:25 pm

What a super fun day!! Way to go running while on vacation!!! Can’t wait to read about wine country.

-emily

35 biz319 May 1, 2010 at 1:47 pm

What a great day Meghann! I’ve never been to San Francisco (or California for that matter!). Glad you are having such a great time!

36 Alex May 1, 2010 at 2:07 pm

…everywhere you look….

it’s on my bucket list! Love the pics!

37 legalstyle May 1, 2010 at 2:51 pm

These are all my favorite places! I’m so glad you’re enjoying my city. 🙂

38 Kerry May 1, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Can’t wait for Sunday! One of my 12k’s this spring was across the Golden Gate Bridge and I wanted to slow down and take it all in, but it was a race! So, I will make it a ‘to-do’ in the future to take my time on it! Ya know, running the San Francisco Half or Full Marathon would take you around a lot more amazing places in the city – just sayin’. A bunch of blogger/runners are doing the Half in July 🙂

39 Run Sarah May 1, 2010 at 5:21 pm

San Francisco looks amazing! So fun to run over the Golden Gate Bridge. The Burmese foods look delicious as well.

40 Brooke May 1, 2010 at 5:46 pm

!!! My former home, and where I lived when I started running marathons/my running “career”. I used to do long runs over the Golden Gate, through Sausalito, and into Tiburon (farther north). Memories! 🙂 However, I remember my running buddy and I couldn’t chat while on the bridge — too much traffic to hear each other. 🙂

41 anotherannabanana May 1, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Mint and chocolate ice cream is totally the best combo (followed closely by chocolate and peanut butter) — totally excellent call!

Also, love the picture where Derek is kissing the top of your head. Too cute!

42 genesis May 1, 2010 at 8:19 pm

aw, i miss ube ice cream. loved it when i was younger. you should have tried the one below it, the buko, which is the young coconut ice cream…even better, you would have thought it was exotic.

43 Raya May 1, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I looooove San Francisco!!! All of your pictures are bringing back so many memories!! I saw on twitter that you guys are heading up to wine country, not sure if you’re going back into the city or not, but if you are, best dim sum in the city is at Ton Kiang (5821 Geary Blvd)…It’s amazing, I promise!

Raya @ RayaRuns.com

44 Anne P May 2, 2010 at 7:27 am

Aw that looks so fun! I’m jealous – every time I’m in San Fran it’s rainy and cold! I biked over the Golden Gate and my friend and I almost died b.c it was so rainy and freezing cold! But it was still fun 🙂 The Golden Gate is magical. We ended in Sausalito – love it!

45 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com May 2, 2010 at 7:32 am

The husband and I are going to Cali for his 10 year reunion in October. I hope we can make it up to San Fransisco.

46 runningwithsass May 2, 2010 at 10:19 am

I love full house, I would have done the same thing!
and how fun to run the bridge!

47 hundredtenpounds May 2, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Great SF pictures!!

48 Moxie_Marmalade May 2, 2010 at 10:32 pm

I’m so glad you got to try Burmese food! I hadn’t had it until I moved to DC. One of our friends insisted we try a Burmese restaurant and ordered the green tea leaf salad for the table. I fell in LOVE.

It’s so hard to describe the taste of that dish…but I crave it all the time! Thank goodness we live 4 blocks from the restaurant now 🙂

{ 1 trackback }