Meghann and Derek Explore San Francisco

by Meghann on April 30, 2010

From the east coast to the west coast – I am happy to say we made it to San Francisco!

IMG_5889

I’m not going to lie – the flight from Atlanta to San Francisco was a long and boring one. I had all these plans to do great amounts of work, but I had an error with live writer and spent 2 of the 5 hour flight trying to correct it. 🙁

Derek didn’t do much better. After we took off he realized that the book he brought to read was not a good one, that his lap top had less than 15% battery as soon as he turned it on, and his battery for his ipod wasn’t in much better shape than hi lap top.  Bummer.

When we landed we were both cranky and hungry. Good thing Hertz had us wait in an hour and a half line to pick up our rental car. Grrr…

But, we had a good plan for lunch and we were sticking to it! So what if by the time we left the airport in our rental car it was 2:00pm local time and already dinner time back home. We were going to Ikes damn it and we were going to have the sandwich of our lives!

IMG_5793

Derek had discovered Ike’s Place during an episode of Man vs food (no joke – he watched the San Francisco episode 5 times in preparation for this trip!). For those unfamiliar with Ike’s Place it’s a hole in the wall sandwich shop near the heart of San Francisco.

And by hole in the wall I mean this place is so tiny, they even have their register outside.

IMG_5798

And you know a place is good when even at 3:00 in the afternoon there is a line down the block.

IMG_5795

IMG_5797

Ike’s has an unlimited amount of crazy, delicious sandwich concoctions which include those of the vegetarian and vegan variety! In fact a whole page of the menu is dedicated to each vegans and vegetarians.

IMG_5799

The wide selection of vegetarian options was what really intrigued me. I ended up ordering the Wa Luigi Vegan Meatballs, Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers, Marinara, + all the veggies.

IMG_5805

By the time I dug into my sandwich it had been who knows how many hours since my last meal and let me just say this was one of the most amazing sandwiches I have ever eaten in my entire life. Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers in a sub? Pure Genuis!

IMG_5807

Derek was there for one thing and one thing only – the Kryptonite – which was so big it, it was more than two of my sandwiches put together.

IMG_5804

The kryptonite was actually the sandwich they had focused on in the Man V Foods episode and contained Roast Beef, Corned Beef, Pastrami, Salami, Turkey, Bacon, Ham, Mozzarella Sticks, Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers, Beer Battered Onion Rings, Avocado, Pesto, EXTRA Pepper Jack, + all the veggies!

IMG_5809

IMG_5808

Derek devoured it! (well, one half of it)

IMG_5811 IMG_5813

IMG_5815

IMG_5816

I had a bite too and it was really good. I’m not sure I could handle the whole sandwich but the bites I had were pretty great.

IMG_5821 IMG_5823

IMG_5820

With food in our bellies Derek and I were finally ready to explore the city.

IMG_5827

I think Derek got a kick out of all the STEEP hills he was driving on. We had a little too much fun playing roller coaster in the rental car. 🙂

IMG_5830 IMG_5832

IMG_5829

IMG_5837

Derek’s one request was to drive down Lombard Street – the world’s most crooked street.

IMG_5841

IMG_5842IMG_5843

My request was to walk up it. 🙂

IMG_5851

IMG_5856

IMG_5854

IMG_5859

IMG_5863

We ended up at Ghiradelli Square where Derek suggested we get a sundae.

IMG_5870

IMG_5876

We ordered the Dark Chocolate Intense Espresso Chip Sundae.

IMG_5879

Mmmmm…. 🙂

IMG_5880

IMG_5882

IMG_5884

IMG_5885

Derek and I had fun playing tourist this afternoon.

IMG_5892 IMG_5894 IMG_5898 IMG_5903 IMG_5890 IMG_5891

It’s funny, when I was a kid I used to HATE exploring new areas in the car, but now as I’ve gotten older – I love it!

IMG_5919IMG_5921 IMG_5908 IMG_5912

We eventually made it to the Cliff House just in time to watch the sunset.

IMG_5930 IMG_5931 IMG_5934

IMG_5936 IMG_5937 IMG_5935

Our first glass of wine to celebrate the kick off of our vacation.

IMG_5939

IMG_5942

I ended up grabbing an Arugula Salad from the Plant Cafe on our way back.

IMG_5944

The hummus looked so good that I went ahead and ordered some to go, but only had a few bites because I wasn’t very hungry. It was some killer hummus though.

IMG_5945

I really liked the Plant Cafe. I would love to go back sometime and actually eat at a table and order one of their fun and creative dishes that sounded so wonderful on the menu. 🙂

Reason #3244 I love blogging? Making friends where ever you go!

IMG_5946

I had the pleasure of meeting the wonderful, gorgeous, (and now expecting!) Beth T when I was in San Francisco last November. At the time she offered me an open invitation to come back anytime and stay with her and her husband. I wonder if she knew I would actually be taking her up on the offer? 😉

Thank you Beth and Cory for welcoming Derek and I into your wonderful home for the next couple of days! You two are amazing!

It is almost 3:00am back home, which means I have been up just shy of 22 hours. My body is drained and in desperate need of some sleep! Derek and I have big plans for tomorrow and we don’t want to waste the day in bed.

Better get some shut eye now.

Good night!

1 Diana April 30, 2010 at 3:38 am

San Francisco looks like an awesome place, I’d definitely love to go there someday.

I don’t think I’d be able to eat the sandwich Derek ordered! Not my cup of tea :p But yours sounds good!
Glad you’re having a good time Meghann 🙂

2 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete April 30, 2010 at 4:15 am

It looks like you are having a great time! All I could think about with those streets were, “It would SUCK to bike up those things!” One thing that I am looking forward to when we go back to the states is the multitude of hippie places to eat. All your eats are making me excited! Have fun!

3 Anna April 30, 2010 at 6:47 am

Looks amazing!!! And both your sandwiches…oh my gosh! I’m drooling!

4 anotherannabanana April 30, 2010 at 7:04 am

Ooooo, I so want to go back to San Francisco. It’s just beautiful, there’s so much to see and so much to eat!

Ha ha, however now I’m not looking forward to two of my four work flights next week. I have an almost 5.5 hour flight from DC to Phoenix and then a 5 hour flight from LA back to DC. I’m hoping my books, ipod, etc get me through!

Enjoy and can’t wait to see more!!

5 chasingthenow April 30, 2010 at 7:08 am

Looks like a lot of fun! 🙂

6 midgetkeeper April 30, 2010 at 7:12 am

What a fun day! San Francisco looks like an amazing city.

7 Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 30, 2010 at 7:14 am

Looks like so much fun!! I’m going to San Fran in August and can’t wait!

8 soundztastee April 30, 2010 at 7:24 am

Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers in a sandwich, what an idea! Looks like you are having an awesome time, enjoy your weekend 🙂

9 Jenn April 30, 2010 at 7:26 am

oh my gosh…that all looks fun, but how and why did you go so long without food or a snack of any sort??!!!

10 Meghann April 30, 2010 at 9:32 am

I’m ashamed to say I was really, really unprepared! 🙁

11 Whit April 30, 2010 at 7:29 am

Your trip is making me so excited for mine there in July!

12 Marisa (Loser for Life) April 30, 2010 at 7:32 am

I love San Francisco! I haven’t been in many years, but thank you for bringing back the memories!

13 britchickruns April 30, 2010 at 7:36 am

Wowzers you must’ve been starved! I would’ve devoured my own arm if I’d gone that long without food 😛
San Franciso is gorgeous! I didn’t realise how steep the hills were …I bet it’s fun to run round there ;P

14 Kelly April 30, 2010 at 7:40 am

Hooray, what a fun first day! Enjoy your vacation!

15 Marina April 30, 2010 at 7:47 am

Sounds like you’re having a lot of fun!
Those sandwiches and that ice cream look awesome!
enjoy!

16 dianacheung April 30, 2010 at 7:56 am

i went to sf last year…GORGEOUS. It was a bit chilly but I completely understood why everyone wants to live there: clean, friendly, GREEN, and GORGEOUS. Enjoy the rest of your trip. It looks like ya’ll are already having a blast.

17 Erin April 30, 2010 at 7:57 am

Wow, it looks like perfect weather! Cool enough for a light jacket but not freezing. Love it, even though it’s finally getting hot here and I’m thrilled. :mrgreen:

18 Amy April 30, 2010 at 8:06 am

Ooooh, Meghann- these pictures are lovely! Lombard street and the bridge are just as beautiful as I remember them (I visited SF for Spring Break in college, and have been wanting to go back ever since!) I’m sorry the flights were a little less than desirable (ugh… and the rental car wait?!)… but it looks like the sight-seeing made up for it 🙂 I’m excited to see what Friday’s adventures are!

19 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 30, 2010 at 8:16 am

Sorry but I think that kryptonite sandwich looks kinda gross.

20 jentrinque April 30, 2010 at 8:21 am

Have a great time! I hope you got lots and lots of rest last night and are feeling ready to tackle the day!

21 Quinn April 30, 2010 at 8:23 am

We tried to get a drink at The Cliff House after Foodbuzz Festival in November, but it was swamped! Looks like you guys had a beautiful evening!

Enjoy the rest of your trip!!!

22 inmytummy April 30, 2010 at 8:25 am

My fiance would have watched Man vs Food in preparation and ordered the same thing!

23 Jenna April 30, 2010 at 8:28 am

San Fran looks awesome!!

24 Lea April 30, 2010 at 8:28 am

Yay you went to cliff house! I’ll be there tomorrow! Did you see th sutra bath ruins?? It on the right side of cliff house as you look out at the ocean!! Ikes sandwiches sounds like a good idea for lunch tomorrow!!

25 Evan Thomas April 30, 2010 at 8:35 am

I love derek’s face staring down that sundae!

26 Mary April 30, 2010 at 8:36 am

Looks like you’re having a blast! have a great time 🙂

27 Juli D. April 30, 2010 at 8:46 am

Derek should probably try the MvF kitchen sink ice cream challenge!

28 runningwithsass April 30, 2010 at 9:06 am

looks like you are having a great time so far! your ice cream looks amazing!

29 Kalli April 30, 2010 at 9:14 am

What an amazing first day! Those sandwiches look delicios! I love Lombard street- how fun!

30 theprocessofhealing April 30, 2010 at 9:37 am

Wow. Those views are INCREDIBLE!!!! Gorgeous!
And the sub… I had no idea you could fit that much between some bread. Incredible. I can’t wait to hear more about your trip!

31 Sarah April 30, 2010 at 9:45 am

Looks like you guys are having a great time! San Francisco is on my list of places I need to see and I’m pretty sure my husband would be all over the Kryptonite sandwich. When we watched that Man v. Food episode he couldn’t stop talking about how good it looked!

32 peanutbutterfingers April 30, 2010 at 9:46 am

you & derek seem like a match made in heaven! i have a feeling derek & my fiance would really hit it off b/c my fiance would be all over that HUGE sandwich, too! i looove man vs. food!

33 rachael April 30, 2010 at 9:53 am

you and derek are just the cutest couple ever! have a blast on your getaway:)

34 Meredith April 30, 2010 at 10:03 am

Have a fun trip!

35 carolyn~ April 30, 2010 at 10:05 am

How did I not know about Ike’s? Looks like it is worth the trip. Also in the Mission is Bi-Rite Creamery…flavors liek salted caramel ice cream, baslamic strawberry…incredible flavors. THe lines are similar to Ike’s. Try it if you can.

36 carolyn~ April 30, 2010 at 10:06 am

How did I not know about Ike’s? Looks like it is worth the trip. Also in the Mission is Bi-Rite Creamery…flavors like salted caramel ice cream, balsamic strawberry…incredible flavors. THe lines are similar to Ike’s. Try it if you can. http://biritecreamery.com/menu.html

37 Running on Faith April 30, 2010 at 10:06 am

I love when bloggers visit my town! It gives me such a renewed appreciation for it 🙂 However, it is not like I take this area for granted! Cannot wait to meet you both!

38 sunnytropic April 30, 2010 at 10:48 am

Looks like you are having a blast! I love Plant Cafe! They have the best veggie burgers!

39 Jenny April 30, 2010 at 10:49 am

Looks like you’re having a wonderful time!

40 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) April 30, 2010 at 10:49 am

You and Derek are so cute together. Glad you’re having fun!!!

41 Katherine April 30, 2010 at 11:16 am

My husband and I are in San Francisco too celebrating my birthday! We went to the same place for a sundae last night and got the peanut butter chocolate one. Amazing!

42 missyrayn April 30, 2010 at 11:34 am

I’ve had those horrible travel experiences only to go on and have a great trip. Looks like you and Derek are off to a great start. Enjoy it all!

43 Tracey April 30, 2010 at 11:52 am

Looks like you guys are having an amazing time. Makes me want to grab my husband and go off on a trip to explore a new city!

44 sweetandsweat April 30, 2010 at 11:57 am

I’m so glad that you’re having such a great time in SF. You came right on time too since it was POURING in the beginning of the week. I can’t wait to eat at Herbivore on Sunday!!

45 hundredtenpounds April 30, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Great pictures!!! I love SF!

46 zoe April 30, 2010 at 12:34 pm

it looks like you’re having so much fun!!! the cliffhouse is so awesome, too! my dad used to work there when he was a teenager 🙂

enjoy the rest of your trip!

47 runnerforever April 30, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Looks like fun, makes me miss my days in Cali.

48 Paige (RAN) April 30, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Those hills are insane!! Sounds like an absolutely wondeful first day there:)

49 runrettarun April 30, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Beautiful place but those hills make my tummy hurt. I’m a weenie. 🙂 Enjoy your vacation!

50 Erica April 30, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Isn’t it just SO gorgeous there? I spent part of my childhood just outside San Fran. I miss that city. I totally want to take Josh there. The subs look incredible. Enjoy the rest of your stay

51 Pure2raw twins April 30, 2010 at 7:27 pm

I love San Francisco! Glad you guys are having a great time…you guys are so cute!

Doesn’t Ghirardelli have the best chocolate? YUM!

52 modernation April 30, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Just wanted to check to see if you kids are going to be going to the Ferry Building this weekend? You will be in heaven!

53 Michelle April 30, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I love that crooked street! My uncle drove down it when I was about 9 years old and I thought it was the coolest thing ever 🙂 Looks like you are having an absolute blast!

54 Emilyeatsclean April 30, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Looks like fun!! And all the food looks delicious! I think scouting out cool restaurants in new towns/areas is one of my favorite things about traveling. Have fun!

-emily

55 Kate April 30, 2010 at 11:05 pm

You are in my City!! I love Ike’s (although typically we order ahead to avoid the crazy lines that have formed ever since it was featured on Man vs Food). You definitely should have eaten in Delores Park though and not in your car.

Go to Bi Rite Creamery (its amazzzzing) and if you want an amazing dinner try Ironside. It’s over in SOMA and it really close to Giants stadium. I hope you have fun visiting! Make sure to leave the car a few times, in order to really see the city you absolutely must walk around 🙂

-Katie

56 Tracy April 30, 2010 at 11:27 pm

San Fran looks wonderful so far – you and Derek are so cute!

57 M May 3, 2010 at 10:41 pm