more ยป" />

Quiet Food

by Meghann on April 27, 2010

That was a very, very long day.

It feels so good to finally get to stretch out on the couch and have a chance to catch up on life. :) I love how busy days go fast, but I don’t love how they drain me of all my energy.

My snack this morning consisted of some goldfish pretzels and chocolate graham gold fish.

Unfortunately my lunch had to be consumed while on a conference call in the board room.

I arrived to the meeting early so I could snap photos. Not sure why I didn’t just take them at my desk? I’m such a nerd. :P

Lunch included:

Raw Broccoli

Dried Mango & Apricots

And the main event

Tempeh + Swiss Cheese + Jam Sandwich

This was a great quiet meal to eat while on the conference call.

Good news – we moved the website launch to NEXT Thursday! Woo hoo! Such a load off of my plate…. for now. :)

3+ hours of meetings later it was snack time.

Plain Chobani & Jam is A-MA-ZING! Why is this the first time I’ve tried this combo?!?!

Plus muesli from the bulk bins at Whole Foods.

I got caught at work late and was scrambling to pack half of my closet as soon as I walked in the door. I have no clue what to pack for San Fran. Someone suggested layers, but I’m a Florida girl who apparently doesn’t get the concept of layers. :( I’m pretty sure I packed enough clothes to last 2 weeks for a 5 day vacation, but at least I’ll be prepared!

I had quite a few random left overs in my fridge that needed to be formed into something wonderful for dinner.

Someone had asked in the comment section yesterday what I do with the other half a can of black beans when I use the other half in a recipe. Well, that’s easy – I simply save the black beans in tupperware and make something fabulous of it the next day. :)

Mushroom & Onion Black Bean Burger (makes 2)

• 1/2 can Black Beans
  • 1/4 small Onion
  • 3 chopped Mushrooms
  • 1 Tbs Flax Seed
  • Chili Powder
  • Oregano
  • S&P
  • 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs

Add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until almost smooth. Form two patties and heat on the griddle.

I served my Black Bean Burger over all the veggies left in my fridge (broccoli, radishes, broccoli, mushrooms, spinach) with a drizzle of bbq sauce on top.

I’m in charge of dessert for a housewarming party tomorrow and had just enough time to quickly whip up a batch of Mama Pea’s Peanut Butter Blondies.

Unfortunately, I underbaked them and they fell apart as i was trying to cut them. Baking fail. :(

Underbaked or not the one I had for dessert was quite tasty.

I wonder if there is a way to serve the crumbles over ice cream and just say it’s supposed to be like that?!? :)

Glee is on!!!

Good Night!

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 27, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I made black bean burgers with tofu, eggplant, and some oats. It tasted so much like beef. Congrats on getting through the long day!

2 Evan Thomas April 27, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I love how you had your chobani, a container for jam, and a container for meusli. I guess there’s no more compact way, it just seems silly :-)
For every baking success I have, I have 2 failures. Those usually end up in yogurt and get called “granola”.

3 theprocessofhealing April 27, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Your burger, your lunch sammie, and the yogurt sounds fabulous!!!! I can’t just pick one :)

4 Lea April 27, 2010 at 9:40 pm

So being I’m in San Fran right now..just a little FYI …it’s cold and windy! Pack warm but also pack a pair of shorts..it may get warmer next week? Rainy the next few days but it doesn’t last long ;)

5 Errign April 27, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Put the blondies in the fridge – they might firm up! Plus, blondies are good a little “raw” :)

Woo hoo for moving the website launch & for vacation! :)

6 Jenna April 27, 2010 at 9:56 pm

dinner looks great! glad to hear that the website isn’t launching til next week-maybe they changed it since you were going on vaca ;)
jenna

7 Emilyeatsclean April 27, 2010 at 10:12 pm

I love the greek yogurt and jelly combo idea!! Can’t wait to try!

-emily

8 Carrie @ I See Monsters April 27, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Did you try cutting the blondies while they were still warm? I second Errign’s advice. If you haven’t already cut the rest, put the bars in the fridge for a few hours and then cut. They do look mighty delicious! I once had the same problem when I made brownies for a big group on a vacation. One of my friends said “these brownies look disgusting but taste delicious!” And everyone ate them up. So as long as they are tasty I’m sure everyone will be AOK. :)

9 Meghann April 28, 2010 at 8:13 am

I let them cool for 45 minutes and it was still a no go. :(

10 Beth April 27, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I’ve never made my own black bean burgers but they seem so easy – I want to give it a whirl!

11 thefitbride April 27, 2010 at 10:47 pm

I was just in San Francisco/Napa for my bachelorette party, and we all wound up wearing light sundresses the whole time and kept a cardigan in the car for nighttime when it cooled off a little. Worked out great!

If you’re heading to Napa…definitely recommend V.Sattui winery. They have an awesome deli/gourmet grocery and it was the group’s favorite! Enjoy!

12 missyrayn April 27, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I don’t like flavored yogurt so I always add my own jam, pumpkin butter, granola, etc.

I always have trouble going south for a visit because I don’t understand the concept of dressing for warm weather since I’m so used to layers. Maybe we should take lessons from each other :-)

13 Jenny April 27, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Looks like a great day of eats!

14 Erin April 27, 2010 at 11:36 pm

As long as it tastes good, a few crumbles can’t hurt. ;)

15 sally kate April 27, 2010 at 11:54 pm

I was in San Francisco for Memorial Day last year and I was very overcast and cold the whole time- but had a BLAST!! I had just packed light jackets and at night it could have had on more than that-but seeing I live in Colorado and there was still snow on the ground here I wanted to wear the least amount of clothing as possible (that sounds weird, but you know what I mean) It was amazing- my first time to California. I had alot more fun running and exploring there than I had anticipated (I was training for my first half marathon while I was there). ANYWAYS- Ive been dying to know this since last time you had a tempeh sandwich- how do you cook it for your sandwich? I have tried tempeh once and it was a complete fail and I have the whole grain tempeh now and am dying to try it as a sandwich!

16 Meghann April 28, 2010 at 8:12 am

I eat the tempeh raw on the sandwich! With the jelly and cheese it kind of taste like any other cold lunch meat.

17 Kellie April 27, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Most of my baked goods don’t work out so well. As long as they taste good though, I don’t care how they look.

18 Lisa April 28, 2010 at 12:13 am

Hope you have a wonderful trip away!!!

19 zofasho April 28, 2010 at 1:15 am

pack layers for sure, the weather has been pretty indecisive. but it looks like sunshine is supposed to be the forecast for the rest of the week. depending on what part of the city you are in, the weather will be different. so i definitely recommend bringing a nice, not-too-light-not-too-heavy jacket, a light sweater, a good pair of jeans, and maaaaybe a slong sleeved shirt? i never get THAT cold, though, so i think short sleeve shirts will be appropriate. especially now! the weather really has been great lately (save for some rain today :() gah, i LOVE the city. i miss it so! (college life!)

enjoy the food. it’s pretty amazing :)

20 Mama Pea April 28, 2010 at 2:39 am

Your blondies are missing the chocolate too! ;)

21 Meghann April 28, 2010 at 8:13 am

I know! I didn’t have any silken tofu, and trust me they crumbled apart as soon as I cut them so the chocolate wouldn’t have worked :(

22 britchickruns April 28, 2010 at 3:00 am

I think slightly underbaked blondies would be fabulous – like cookie dough! I ebt if you don’t say they went wrong, no-one will know :)

23 britchickruns April 28, 2010 at 4:00 am

OH! You’re my new favorite blogger fyi

24 Matt April 28, 2010 at 7:21 am

Have fun in San Fran!

25 Becky April 28, 2010 at 7:30 am

I’m a New England girl and I overpack every time! Around here the weather is so crazy, I expect it be like that everywhere…better safe than sorry :) Plain Greek yogurt and jam is my favorite! I always buy plain yogurt and mix in the flavor. I really prefer it over flavored Greek yogurts.

26 Therese Lean April 28, 2010 at 7:40 am

Ha! Your solution to your blondies sounds just like me! I always think to crumble if it’s a bread or mush it up if it’s softer and say it’s a “pudding”.

Thanks for the black bean burger recipe, I’ll definitely check it out, I always have leftover black beans hanging around (I usually throw them into a salad).

27 dianacheung April 28, 2010 at 7:45 am

when I went last june it was breezy and pretty chilly!! If you go to alcatraz you need a thick coat..it’s FREEZING! well..not freezing but like 50 degrees wind chill!

28 rayshine April 28, 2010 at 8:30 am

Where’d ya get your cute lunchbox?!

29 Jessica @ Domesticated-Bliss April 28, 2010 at 8:34 am

Definitely bring some long sleeved clothes! I went to San Fran in August and had to buy a sweater! Just make sure to bring at least one pair of close toed shoes too. Especially wear sleeves if you’re planning on walking the Golden Gate Bridge or doing Alcatraz (it’s super windy and cold!)

Have fun!

30 eatingbirdfood April 28, 2010 at 8:38 am

So awesome that the website launch was pushed back – I’m sure that makes you feel better about leaving for San Fran.

Speaking of SF – I’m so pumped for you! You should go back to the fro yo place where we got the pumpkin flavor – maybe they’ll have an awesome spring time set of flavors.

Have a blast!

31 Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 28, 2010 at 9:18 am

I’m all for blondie “crumbles” ;)

32 Juli D. April 28, 2010 at 10:09 am

We were in SF last year and loved it – you will have a blast! As far as layers, just have a tank top w/a short sleeve shirt over that, w/a long sleeve shirt over that and then a jacket. It’s pretty mild, so I would definitely pack more long sleeve shirts than short sleeve. Have fun!

33 Erin April 28, 2010 at 10:11 am

This happened to me when I made brownies for a BBQ a few weeks ago. To salvage them I took the “crumbles’ and put them in individual cupcake wrappers. People loved them and they were very conducive to a party atmosphere because people didn’t need a plate.

34 lowandbhold April 28, 2010 at 11:16 am

I never think to make homemade bb burgers, but I love them and need to do it!

Yay for the launch getting moved back so you can enjoy your vacay!

35 Carolyn @ lovinglosing April 28, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I have yet to make BB burgers from scratch. I think it migh be time to remedy that. Honestly, I’m a litte afraid of my new food processor. I have no idea how to use it. LOL

36 hundredtenpounds April 28, 2010 at 12:32 pm

We made black bean burgers once but they were too mushy and fell apart. Impossible to eat. Any tips?

37 Meghann April 28, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Add more bread crumbs or flour.

38 Angela April 28, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Once again your meal looks awesome! The black bean burger looks so delish, I wonder if I can trick my bf into trying eat (he hates beans).

Hope you have a fantastic vacation!