more ยป" />

Opa!

by Meghann on April 24, 2010

This afternoon my Dad and I decided to check out The Orlando Greek Fest that was happening right down the road from me.

My cousin, Angela, and I went last year and had a blast, so I knew it would be fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

There was plenty of shopping…

Games…

Dancing…

And, of course, FOOD!

Good thing we both came with an appetite ๐Ÿ˜‰

This one’s for you Derek, Dori, and Mama Pea. ๐Ÿ˜‰

My Dad and I were immediately drawn to the flames.

To start my Dad and I split an order of Saganaki.

I ate about 1/4 of the cheese with a pita.

The cheese was very, very greasy and very rich. It was good, but good in that ‘I can feel my arteries clog’ sort of way. ๐Ÿ˜‰

After the cheese plate we moved on to the Greek Cuisine tent.

I ordered a small plate of Dolmades (grape leaves stuffed with rice & meat), lemon potatoes, and a pita.

I had two of the dolmades, one potato, and all of the pita. The potatoes were a little oily for my taste, but I really enjoyed the dolmades. They were well seasoned and well done. ๐Ÿ™‚

I also had all of a mini greek salad with my meal (sans the dressing)

My Dad ordered the Pastitsio (Macaroni w/Meat & Bechamel Sauce), Spanakopita (Filo Stuffed w/Spinach), and Dolmades.

I had a bite of the pastitisio and was not a fan. It reminded me way of a poorly seasoned baked ziti dish. However, the spanakopita was spot on.

We grabbed a few pastries to nibble on back at the apartment.

The chocolate finger was calling my name.

I <3 Greek pastries! ๐Ÿ™‚

The rest of the afternoon was dedicated to the birthday girl!

Maddie celebrated her birthday by sniffing other dog’s butts, walking on her favorite trail, and rolling in the dirt. I would say she had a blast turning One!

Happy Birthday Maddie! ๐Ÿ™‚ Momma loves you!!

My Dad and I just got back from a BIG (8 Courses BIG!) dinner and I can barely breathe! I’ll need to dedicate a whole post to it tomorrow, so you’ll just have to wait and see until then. Here’s a hint though: does the phrase 24,24,24 ring a bell to anyone? ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’ll leave you with that!

Good Night!

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 24, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Dang girl, you’ve got so many outdoor foodie hot spots where you are! I would love to sink my teeth into some of that Greek deliciousness.

2 Sana April 24, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Can’t wait to read about your 24, 24, 24!

3 missyrayn April 24, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Feta, spinach and tomatoes oh my!

And who doesn’t love greek pastries.

4 tropicaleats April 24, 2010 at 11:16 pm

oh man greek salads are my absolute fave! i’m interested to know what grape leaves taste like lol.

so excited for your post tmrwwww and a very happy bday to Maddie!

5 TorontoGirloutWest April 24, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Awww………Happy Birthday to your fur baby!!!!!!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

6 Lisa April 25, 2010 at 12:22 am

Ethnic festivals are always fun. Good food, good music! Glad Maddie got some playtime too! She’s adorable!

7 eatingbirdfood April 25, 2010 at 12:34 am

The Greek Fest looks like a ton of fun. There’s one in Richmond each year as well – I need to look up when it is!

Olive wishes Maddie a Happy 1st b-day!

8 Stephanie April 25, 2010 at 12:41 am

I absolutely love Greek food. That all looked delicious. Especially that flaming cheese. Oh, man. Your dog is adorable. I can’t understand people who choose not to have pets. Mine is my true best friend. I love spending time with her! Happy B-day to your Maddie!

9 Misty April 25, 2010 at 1:28 am

Saganaki can be either really good or REALLY bad, in my experience. There doesn’t seem to be much middle ground, and I think a big part of depends on the bread-type-thing it’s served with.

Spanakopita, on the other hand…well, I’ve never had a bad spanakopita, and I’ve had a lot of spanakopita!

10 Marina April 25, 2010 at 1:31 am

I adore greek food! Specially the salad and spanakopita!
And their desserts are awesome too!

11 britchickruns April 25, 2010 at 3:12 am

ooh I’ve never had Greek food (last time I went to Greece, I was 7 and WORLD’S FUSSIEST EATER. Chips were what I had :P), but it sounds kinda tasty…at least that weird finger thing at the end does :p
I’m glad Maddie had a thrilling day – if only my first birthday was filled with such pleasures!

12 Jo April 25, 2010 at 6:07 am

Sounds like you had a lovely, hopefully very relaxing day after all your rushing about for the past month! Don’t give up on pastichio- it was my joint favourite foodie find (along with souvlaki!) when I went travelling in Greece- find an off the road, family run taverna somewhere on the Greek Islands, and they will make you an amazing one! I’m listening to the London Marathon on the radio at the moment- the women are at 24miles on course for a 2 hour 11min finish?!!! Crazy!

13 Allie April 25, 2010 at 6:59 am

oh man, some of the best food i ever had i nmy life was when travelling in greece, and your post made me want to go back. now!! looks like such a fun day. HAPPY birthday maddie!

14 snowflakesandsunshine.wordpress.com April 25, 2010 at 7:11 am

The festival looks fab – I love Greek food! Happy Birthday Maddie ๐Ÿ™‚ She’s adorable.

15 Anna April 25, 2010 at 8:26 am

Sometimes artery-clogging goodness is the best kind ๐Ÿ™‚

Looks like a really fun festival!

16 Katherine: What About Summer? April 25, 2010 at 8:28 am

My big fat greek wedding: great quotes:

-put windex on it

-you don’t eat meat? it’s okay I’ll make lamb

-butt cake? this cake has a hole in it…

looks like you had fun!!!

17 Erin April 25, 2010 at 8:42 am

I love a good Greekfest — there’s a huge one every fall here in DC that attracts thousands of people outside this gorgeous Greek church. Can’t wait! Love summer for its outdoor festivals. :mrgreen:

18 Katey April 25, 2010 at 8:42 am

I went to greek fest last night too (but I live near chicago). I LOVE GREEK FOOD!!!!!!!!! Spanakopita is my favorite!!

19 Dori April 25, 2010 at 9:13 am

I love you. How did I never hear of Kok before and but you find Kok everywhere you go??

That last picture of you and Maddie is gorgeous! You both look so happy and pretty. You should frame that one.

20 Diana@mymarblerye April 25, 2010 at 9:52 am

Zomg!!! I heart Greek food!!! If I was at the festival no food would go untouched!

21 runnerforever April 25, 2010 at 9:56 am

Oh yum, that “chocolate finger” pastry looks too good. I am loving all the doggy b-day celebrations!

22 starsinthecity April 25, 2010 at 10:08 am

I’m so hungry after reading this! I love that they had a poster about how to pronounce Gyros and then they had Chocolate KOK (it should be pronounced like Coke). Looks like a fun time!

23 Lacey @ Lake Life April 25, 2010 at 10:50 am

I LOVE stuffed grape leaves and the idea of “flaming cheese” sounds amazing!

Happy 1st birthday Maddie ๐Ÿ™‚

24 Courtney April 25, 2010 at 11:42 am

Sounds like you had a great day! Maddie looks very happy on her birthday! ๐Ÿ˜€

25 caitsplate April 25, 2010 at 11:47 am

Happy birthday to Maddie!!!

And YAAAAAY for Greek Festivals! I’m Greek Orthodox so not a year goes by that I don’t go to my church’s and all of our surrounding town’s churches! They’re the absolute best and I’m glad you enjoyed yours ๐Ÿ™‚

26 Bec April 25, 2010 at 12:28 pm

sounds like a great day with your dad, glad maddie had a great birthday!

27 Matt April 25, 2010 at 2:00 pm

MMmm I <3 saganaki ๐Ÿ™‚

28 Gena April 26, 2010 at 12:40 pm

YUM! This half Greek lady is jealous ๐Ÿ™‚

29 hungryforbalance April 26, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I LOVE Greek food- that looks like so much fun!

30 angiismyname April 26, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Meghann i am saddened that you did not link me in your post. I got all excited when i read the post and now im disappointed.

Happy Birthday Maddie