The Ultimate Carrot Dog

by Meghann on April 23, 2010

This afternoon an idea sprung into my head for a meal that was so good it automatically had me thinking “I can not wait to blog about this!” before I even took the first bite.

Let me introduce to you the very blog worthy Carrot Dog. πŸ™‚

Hot Dog Bun + Spinach + Grilled Carrot + Almond Butter = The Ultimate Carrot Dog

This wasn’t just fun to look at – it was fun to eat too. πŸ™‚

I know the concept of using a carrot in lieu of a hot dog may not be a highly original one, but I like to think the almond butter topping gives it a fun twist. πŸ˜‰ Oh and it was good. Damn good in fact! I hope to one day feed this combo to my future kids.

The buns I used this evening were a recent addition to my freezer.

I found the sprouted hot dog buns in the freezer section at my local Publix and found them quite tasty. After a quick defrost the sprouted buns were really grainy and chewy. I look forward to eating them again. πŸ™‚

It wouldn’t be a true ‘hot dog’ of a meal unless there were some fries on the side.

And some steamed broccoli to round the plate out.

Some bits of chocolate and dried kiwi for dessert.

I’m in the middle of watching The Lovely Bones. The movie is really creepy, but in a good you on the edge of your seat kind of way. I am not inspired to read the book. I have a very bad habit of watching movies and then reading the book. I’m just backwards like that. πŸ™‚

I have plans tomorrow for my first open water swim since my tri last March and I am super nervous. Luckily I’ll have a triathlon rock star and sister there to help me rock it!

Good Night!!

1 Erin April 23, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Good luck on your swim tomorrow! I’m sure you’ll totally rock it! :mrgreen:

Love the carrot dog idea. I’m totally grilling up some carrots this weekend and trying it out.

2 Meghan@traveleatlove April 23, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I watched the movie the other day, and the book is MUCH better.
Good luck on the swim, you will rock it!

3 Amy @ Second City Randomness April 23, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I actually read the book and loved it! Still curious as to if the movie does it justice!

4 Run Sarah April 23, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Good luck on your swim! That carrot dog looks amazing – especially with the almond butter.

5 Shannon April 23, 2010 at 10:09 pm

The book is REALLY GOOD! Better than the movie! πŸ™‚ I have to admit I don’t think I would try your carrot dog. πŸ™‚ Sorry!

6 missyrayn April 23, 2010 at 10:17 pm

I can’t do nut butter and veggies. Just too strange for me yet.

The book is way better than the movie but the movie is wonderful.

7 Jayce April 23, 2010 at 10:38 pm

I watched The Lovely Bones today, too. I liked it a lot! My to-read list is already way too long, so I doubt I’ll read the book. Carrot dog… never thought of that but think I might like it. πŸ™‚

8 Mary April 23, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I honestly couldn’t get into the book. I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I am an avid “read the book and watch the movie” person. good luck with your swim tomorrow! πŸ™‚

9 Paula April 23, 2010 at 10:44 pm

The book was one of the best I’ve ever read. You should give it a try.

10 learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood April 23, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I am actually watching the movie as I type this and I am really enjoying it, but I am not sure if I would read it either!!

11 Sana April 23, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Heheeh! you really do put nut better on everything! If you find something you love, stick with it!

12 Marissa April 23, 2010 at 11:18 pm

yum! i would probably eat cardboard if it was covered in almond butter.

13 Nicole April 23, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Oh my goodness! When I saw that carrot dog I couldn’t believe my eyes, and almond butter? Delicious!! I have to try that thing, thanks girlie πŸ™‚ take care

14 Beth @ fatbustermack April 23, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Movies like lovely bones intrigue me, but I can’t watch anything that freaky so I never follow up on my interest! Good luck on the swim!

15 Andrea of Care to Eat April 23, 2010 at 11:34 pm

You HAVE to read the book. You just do. No ifs, ands, or buts! I rented the movie tonight and will hopefully watch it tomorrow.
And, carrot dog? You should name your blog “cook outside the box.”

16 Emilyeatsclean April 23, 2010 at 11:58 pm

That sandwhich looks tasty…..very cute and thoughtful too!! Have fun swimming!!

-emily

17 Lisa April 24, 2010 at 12:31 am

Um… I hate to say this but my bf saw this post over my shoulder and said “what is wrong with these people?!” but he is a typical guy–obsessed with hot dogs. I’d try this concoction. πŸ˜‰

18 caronae April 24, 2010 at 1:04 am

I love love love it! This is the cutest little meal I’ve ever seen, I’ll have to buy some hot dog buns just so I can eat it πŸ™‚

19 Lorin April 24, 2010 at 1:37 am

What about sweet potatoes, slightly mashed, with peanut butter in a hot dog. yumm!!! Sweet potatoes are amazing and peanut butter goes with everything!

20 midgetkeeper April 24, 2010 at 1:38 am

The book is amazing but so is the movie which usually isn’t the case.

21 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs April 24, 2010 at 1:58 am

Oooh my gosh, good luck on the open water swim – that would scare the life outta me!

22 Hillary April 24, 2010 at 2:04 am

OMG…that ‘sandwich is hilarious! Really…you are quite the genius. I’ve gotta give that veggie-lover lunch/dinner a try!

23 Anna April 24, 2010 at 7:24 am

I love that book!! Definitely better than the movie.

24 Christy April 24, 2010 at 8:14 am

Hahaha, I’ve never seen a “carrot dog” before!!

25 jentrinque April 24, 2010 at 8:16 am

You really crack me up with your inventive dinners!

I only read the book Lovely Bones and heard the movie wasn’t as good, but I might still check it out to see.

26 runningwithsass April 24, 2010 at 9:04 am

I have to say, I love hot dogs, but the carrot just doesn’t look yummy lol!
GL in your swim!

27 Kate April 24, 2010 at 9:44 am

Cute idea for a carrot in a hot dog bun!

I read the book and adored it…I have re-read it many times through the years and I am not one for light fiction reading…I mostly stick to nonfiction, bios, Russian authors (think Dostoevsky, Checkhov, Nabokov, Solzhenitsyn, Tolstoy) or expatriates (think Hemingway, Faulkner, Stein, Fitzgerald) so I was surprised to find myself actually bawling reading this book! I had to set it down a few times and pick it back up to re-read because it’s really well-written πŸ™‚ Hope the movie is good, too!

28 Bec April 24, 2010 at 9:46 am

Wow what a great idea, I can not wait to try it out myself. Hope you rock that swim πŸ™‚

29 Lucy April 24, 2010 at 10:28 am

I honestly did not enjoy the book!!! I didn’t go see the movie because I was pretty annoyed by the time I finished the book – just one person’s opinion:) interesting idea on the carrot dog!

30 Ashley April 24, 2010 at 10:37 am

i liked the movie but there was WAAAAAAY too much CG going on, like to the point of ridiculousness and stupidity.

31 Erica April 24, 2010 at 11:04 am

Bunny on a bun! A restaurant in Charleston (Mount Pleasant) that was featured on Diners Drive Ins and Dives, makes this (http://itzyskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-triple-d-experience-jacks-cosmic.html)…of course they’ve never used nut butter (which I bet makes it incredible. Hope you have a good weekend Meghann

32 glidingcalm April 24, 2010 at 3:58 pm

that is so adorable!! haha!

33 Cheryll Woods-Flowers April 25, 2010 at 9:47 am

Great article! I have eaten there often but have never had the carrot dog. I will try it now! Thanks for the information.

34 Monica C. April 26, 2010 at 3:41 pm

The things you come up with! And you really like this stuff! πŸ™‚

35 Gena May 19, 2010 at 7:02 am

Meghann, are you serious? This has “Gena” written all over it! Great, great idea πŸ™‚