Planet Earth

by Meghann on April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day Everyone!!

earth_day_graphics_13

In honor of our wonderful planet I try to make each day as green as possible by…

Using Reusable Bags

IMG_5063

Having a real mug for my tea at work instead of using the paper cups

IMG_5064

Bringing my trusty refillable water bottle where ever I go

IMG_5065

And backing my meals, left overs, etc. in tupperware rather than disposable baggies.

IMG_5050

Not only do all those little changes save the earth, they also save me money in the long run. Going green by saving green is alright by me. 🙂

Today was an active rest day on my newly formed tri-plan (which is still incomplete, but I promise to post a copy of the plan soon!).  My active rest days traditionally a light run (2-3 miles tops), a good walk, or yoga. Today I picked yoga.

It was the easy yoga class my gym hosts every Thursday.  I’ve had nice, relaxing yoga sessions at my gym before, but today it was like the class was trying to be challenging and failed miserably at it. I probably will not be going back to this particular instructor again.

I made it back to the office a little earlier than normal and pieces together my cereal breakfast.

IMG_5052

IMG_5053

IMG_5055

Time to dig in!

IMG_5057

IMG_5058

Do you have any fun earth day plans for today? On the radio this morning some people were calling in to promote their company’s green efforts and how they are going out as a team to pick up trash on the road or to plant a tree. I wish my company would do something green like that. Maybe I should propose it for next year? 🙂

1 britchickruns April 22, 2010 at 8:49 am

I don’t have any specific Earth Day plans (cos I didn’t know it was til today!) but I have done my little bit for the world today – shopping with all my own bags 😀 Hooray! And buying local produce 😛 it’s the little things that count..Have a good day!

2 Erin April 22, 2010 at 8:56 am

I’m lucky enough to be working at home right now so I’m hoping to finish everything before lunch and then get outdoors this afternoon. There’s some gardening that needs to be done at my house so that will be my contribution — and then a long walk to enjoy this gorgeous planet. :mrgreen:

3 runningwithsass April 22, 2010 at 8:57 am

I still love everytime I see your fit and fresh container, its so cute!

4 megan April 22, 2010 at 8:58 am

I didn’t even realize it was earth day! so no earth day plans. But I did pack my breakfast and lunch in tupperware instead of plastic bags today 🙂 you’re right – it’s cheaper 🙂

5 Karla April 22, 2010 at 8:58 am

I think all those environmental changes you’re making are great!
I wish people would consider driving less. I know it’s hard in certain areas based on the established infrastructure, but driving less is good for the Earth and our bodies!

6 Meghann April 22, 2010 at 9:03 am

I wish i could drive less too! Orlando’s public transportation is horrible though and nothing is in walking distance to me (besides Publix but you have to cross a major road to walk to it) Someday I hope to live somewhere that is a little walker friendly.

7 Becky April 22, 2010 at 12:07 pm

You do drive home every day at lunch. Even that little bit makes a big difference. You could try to pack your lunch and bring it with you to work more often.

8 Meghann April 22, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I drive home to let Maddie out. On days I don’t have to let her out I usually eat at my desk. I just feel so guilty leaving her locked up for 9 hrs a days, 5 days a week. 🙁

9 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 22, 2010 at 9:06 am

I’m driving to Illinois. I guess that’s more earth friendly than flying, right?

10 jentrinque April 22, 2010 at 9:13 am

I hope you do propose that to your office/company! Wouldn’t it be great to say you influenced something big like that?

11 Anna April 22, 2010 at 9:22 am

They’re having some fun Earth Day events all over the university that I teach at today, so hopefully I’ll get to participate in some fun Earth Day action!

12 missyrayn April 22, 2010 at 9:38 am

I didn’t plan anything specific for earth day. I was going to plant my summer garden but we are probably moving and didn’t want to abandon it. Instead I’ll go grocery shopping and bring my reusable bags.

13 Cait (Cait's Plate) April 22, 2010 at 9:43 am

Oh my gosh I’m DYING over that bowl of cereal! It looks so good!

No big Earth Day plans for me…but if I go to the grocery store I’ll be sure to use my reusable bags like always! 🙂

14 Jenny April 22, 2010 at 9:44 am

I’m going to walk as much as possible, take a short shower and eat veggie today!

15 theprocessofhealing April 22, 2010 at 9:49 am

I actually forgot today was Earth Day. I do some things but I really need to be better about using less plastic water bottles and plastic baggies.

16 KatieTX April 22, 2010 at 9:54 am

I will be at a conference all day learning about climate change from some really great scientists! I couldn’t think about a better way to spend Earth Day!

17 Katherine: What About Summer? April 22, 2010 at 10:07 am

Happy earth day from me too! Love the mug and the morning eats! I’m about to grab some reusable bags and head out the door!
Katherine

18 Lauren April 22, 2010 at 10:08 am

That’s it. I have to scout out TJ Maxx for that Fit & Fresh cereal bowl. I like to bring yogurt/granola for lunch in the summer because Memphis is so. damn. HOT!

Earth Day….It’s also my fiance’s birthday. But I try to be a little green everyday–I use my Nalgene religiously. I bring my lunch in a reusable bag. I’ve drastically cut down on my disposable things such as baggies and foil. I try to recycle. It’s difficult in an apartment. Memphis has curbside pick-up for houses, but I have to collect mine in paper bags and then take it. I have quite the pile right now that I’m planning on taking this weekend! I also recycle magazines by taking them to the YMCA(my gym) when I’m finished(and after I tear out recipes/workouts I want to keep!).

19 Rae April 22, 2010 at 10:18 am

How long is your tri? Beginner triathlete has some good free plans, and trigeek.com (which i use for Im training) has some very cheap, good plans!

20 Kelly April 22, 2010 at 10:43 am

No driving today! I am biking it everywhere…which is a big deal when you live in Texas!!

21 Christina April 22, 2010 at 10:59 am

I love camel back water bottles. They’re the best! I’ll probably just try to spend a lot of time outside today.

22 clairedille April 22, 2010 at 11:02 am

I am heading to Aveda with an empty container of face wash for a free eco friendly face wash! So excited! I am also going to drop off my old brita filters at Whole Foods because they recycle them! Other than that…work is definitely going to be taking over the majority of my earth day. Your eco friendly way of living is great to read!

23 hundredtenpounds April 22, 2010 at 11:37 am

I kind of feel like we should be “green” every day of the year, not just one day. So I really don’t do anything different on Earth Day. Portland is a very green city. We recycle everything. I almost never use plastic water bottles. I use fabric grocery bags. One thing I’d LOVE to do is to start composting. Haven’t researched it yet.

24 adrienmelaine April 22, 2010 at 11:39 am

Do you always take an active rest day? Ever take a plain old, not-going-to-do-anything-but sit-on-the-couch kind of rest day?

25 Meghann April 22, 2010 at 11:57 am

I get too bored sitting on the couch all day! 🙂

26 Lauren @ Eat, Drink, and Be Hopeful April 22, 2010 at 11:59 am

I am the same way. I always use re-usable shopping bags for my lunches and for grocery shopping, always use re-usable Tupperware, and always bring my water bottle to work. It’s so important to do all of these things EVERYDAY-not just today-just like you said.

27 sue April 22, 2010 at 12:18 pm

happy earth day! 🙂

28 Emilyeatsclean April 22, 2010 at 12:34 pm

All of your Earth saving efforts you mentioned, I already practice too! I wish I could have walked to work today…..that would have been cool!!!

-emily

29 fitandfortysomething April 22, 2010 at 12:36 pm

no earth day plans except for open house tonight at school……i am talking to the kids though about it today……love your ideas for earth day!

30 Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition April 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Great things!

My goal for this next year is to stop using zip lock bags!

31 runnerforever April 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Your breakfast looks great. I was going to ask what cereal that mix is, but it is indeed your own special. You should market it haha!

32 lowandbhold April 22, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Being green really is affordable for the most part!

I hate yoga classes that aren’t user friendly.

33 fromatopink April 22, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I didn’t plan anything specifically for Earth Day but I will be outside playing kickball and what better way to spend it?! 🙂

34 hungryforbalance April 23, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I always take my reusable grocery bags with me to the store and have bought them from friends and family so they’ll do the same. Just think of all the paper and plastic bags we wont use! Tupperware is great but not nearly as cute as these reusable baggies I just ordered from
http://cosaverde.com/store/bananasaurusrex/5317/ You’ll have to check ’em out 🙂 Happy Earth Day!