Spinach and Artichoke Dip

by Meghann on April 21, 2010

There was once a time when I had a slight – ok, MAJOR – obsession with Spinach and Artichoke dip.

I used to request it as an appetizer every time it was offered on the menu and one time I got a craving for it so bad I attempted to create my own spinach artichoke dip in the dorm kitchen. I got a wonderful recipe from my cousin and spent an hour making it from scratch. Unfortunately the kitchen was two stories below the floor my room and in the process of bringing it back to my room I tripped and got it everywhere. Don’t worry, that didn’t stop my roommate and I polish off the dip that didn’t touch the floor. 😉

My lunch today was in fact NOT spinach and artichoke dip, but boy did it taste like it!

IMG_5009

This is my take on a Spinach and Artichoke Dip Quesadilla (only without the spinach)

Coat 1/2 of a tortilla with

• Hummus
  • Artichoke Hearts
  • Sun Dried Tomato
  • Kale
  • Swiss Cheese

Fold over and grill until cheese is gooey and yummy.

IMG_5013

When all the flavors combine, close your eyes and I swear you will think you are eating a spinach and artichoke dip quesadilla.  Only slightly healthier. 😉

IMG_5017

Paired with an apple

IMG_5010

As I type this I am eavesdropping on two of my co-workers who are discussing their teenage kids’ relationships in the cubicle next to me. One of my co-worker’s sons was just dumped via text messaging and the other was explaining her own son’s sad break up story.

The whole thing made me giggle. Awww… young love. One bad date after a week of dating and you’re out of there.

I wonder how much of my teenage love life (or even current love life) that my Mom or Dad shared with their respective co-workers?

My Mom actually worked with two of my best friends’ Moms and more often than not she knew about their break ups and hook ups before I did!

My co-worker also told a somewhat embarrassing story of his son that involved late night cable and his wife entering the living room at what probably wasn’t the most appropriate time. (use your imagination on that one)

Oh God Mom – please tell me you never told those stories! Not that you would have any to tell or anything….

Thank goodness I am not a teenager anymore!

Did your parents ever tell embarrassing stories about you? I remember being so embarrassed to tell my Mom when I got my first period because I knew she would call to tell any and everyone that she knew the minute I told her.

1 britchickruns April 21, 2010 at 2:13 pm

My parents don’t have any embaressing stories about me 😛 my sister on the other hand…I can imagine she has plenty to tell!
You sure do know how to make tortilla wraps sound good, it’s quite the talent!

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 21, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Oh I’m sure that many an embarrassing story was told about me by my parents. Luckily I don’t know about it!

3 caitlin April 21, 2010 at 2:13 pm

My dad still telling embarrassing stories about me to my friends!!!

4 Molly @fuelherup April 21, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Haha my mom won’t even use the word “tampon” with me! She’s very trusting and understanding, but she would NOT share anything with anyone!

5 Kelly April 21, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Hahaha oh god work conversations are so funny. I hope my mom doesn’t tell embarrassing stories at work.

6 Sarah for Real April 21, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Your lunch looks incredible! I used to be obsessed with spinach and artichoke dip too, and I had forgotten about it until YOU mentioned it just now, gah!

I’ll have to remedy that soon enough… And I was juuuust wondering what to buy for dinner fixin’s. Thanks Meghann!

7 jentrinque April 21, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I’m an only child – you bet your britches my mom told embarrassing stories about me! And I dated the same guy all through high school, so I’m quite sure she told her friends way more than I would have wanted her to.

LOL about the coworker with the son and the late night TV!

8 Amy @ Second City Randomness April 21, 2010 at 2:27 pm

My mom taught a psychology class at my school. So yeah… I often was approached by kids asking me about something. It was really really embaressing when it was the “older and more popular” crowd… ugh!

Apparently my ex boyfriend from college’s mom has used each step of our break up as examples in her parenting and relationships class. Good stuff…

9 Molly April 21, 2010 at 2:28 pm

yum that looks AWESOME! My dad still brings up the time that they were out of town and my friend Meghan and i decided to fill a kiddie pool full of noodles and swim in it. Um my bad? Its not infamously called the “Pasta Party” lol

xo-molly

10 Derek April 21, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I’ve always wanted to be that old lady that swims in noodles from Patch Adams. =)

11 midgetkeeper April 21, 2010 at 2:29 pm

My parents are pretty good about sharing embarrassing stories, but my siblings do like to share. It’s fun when we all do it to each other.

12 Carrie @ I See Monsters April 21, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Worse than my parents — my entire extended family! One time I got a bit, um, WILD at/after my cousin’s rehearsal dinner and did some crazy things. A few of my cousins were with me and proceeded to relay the story to my entire LARGE family. I only found out months later when we all got together again and my uncle made a joke about it. Oh, I blushed. I blushed so much. And then I begged everyone in my family not to tell my mom! Ha! I have no idea if they ever did. She is too proper to ever bring something like that up.

Ah, to be 21 again. 😉

13 Anna April 21, 2010 at 2:33 pm

I made a delicious healthified version of spinach and artichoke dip on my blog a few weeeks back using low fat cottage cheese– it was delicious! Yours looks really good too!

14 Erin April 21, 2010 at 2:39 pm

My dad loves to tell embarrassing stories and doesn’t understand why it annoys me. Like he’ll tell someone we’ve just met, “This my daughter, she hates nature” because when I was 10 years old I complained during a hike that I hate nature.

Um, dad, it’s been almost 15 years. People change! 😉

15 Amelia April 21, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I completely agree with you about the embarrassing period story. My mom even said that she would not say a word. Next thing I knew, my older sister was like “aw…you got your period, how cute?” Then everyone my mom talked to on the phone knew.

The first time I took home my now husband to meet my parents, I was so afraid that he would break up with me after meeting them. After all of those embarrassing stories and more we are still together 6 years later!

16 Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine April 21, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I don’t think I have enough embarrassing stories to tell! But- when I got my first period I was with my friend and my FRIEND called HER mom! That was pretty bad…

17 lauren April 21, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Ease dropping sounds really hard. I usually prefer to eavesdrop on other people’s conversations. Although, I have to say that this ease dropping has really peaked my interest.

18 Run Sarah April 21, 2010 at 3:40 pm

That wrap looks fantastic – I love spinach and artichoke dip as well. My parents still tell embarrassing stories about me, I’ve learned to just ignore them and laugh…or get them back with their embarrassing stories!

19 fromatopink April 21, 2010 at 3:45 pm

That looks so good! I have some artichokes that need to be used and this is perfect – thanks for the idea. 🙂

20 Judie April 21, 2010 at 3:51 pm

“As I type this I am ease dropping on two of my co-workers who are discussing their teenage kids relationships in the cubicle next to me.”

I think you were eavesdropping, not ease dropping. Also, were the teenage kids relationships really in the cubicle next to you?

21 Ellen April 21, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Oh watch out, someone called the ‘grammar police’.

22 Caitlin in MD April 21, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Hahaha!

23 Neely April 21, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Why the harsh response, Ellen? She was just pointing out the error. It’s not like she was being rude or hurtful, at all.

24 Belle April 21, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Ha ha!

25 Julie April 21, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Oh man, I didn’t tell my mom about my first period for the same reason! I knew she’d be on the phone with my aunts and grandmother to tell them. It’s not that big a deal anyway!

26 clairedille April 21, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I overheard everything my mom said around friends when young. They used to laugh cause I would always scream over from the other room if I heard name asking “what are you saying about me?” It is so funny when I think about it now…I must have been so paranoid cause I was pretty shy.

That spinach artichoke wrap sounds delicious. I wanna recreate it!

27 Matt April 21, 2010 at 4:27 pm

My mom and dad are HORRIBLE when it comes to gossiping. It drives me nuts!

28 hundredtenpounds April 21, 2010 at 4:58 pm

I used to have the SAME addiction. It’s so wonderful and creamy….it was never as good when I tried to make it on my own. Trader Joe’s has a pretty good one!

29 Mom April 21, 2010 at 5:15 pm

I Hardly every tell embarrassing stories about you!

30 Meghann April 21, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Pshh… don’t lie Mom. I’m sure you do it all the time. 🙂

31 Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 21, 2010 at 5:58 pm

What a great looking lunch!
And I have NO doubt that my mum told embarassing stories about me at work – although I am sure told some nice stories about me too awwww

32 pinkflipflops April 21, 2010 at 6:05 pm

My mom and I were out for after work sundaes yum.. and ran into a coworker and her teenager daughter today.. mom made a crack about menopause and daughter was like mommmmmmmmm haha. it was great.

33 Betsy April 21, 2010 at 6:21 pm

When I got my period for the first time my mom came home the next day and was like, “I told everyone at work about how grown up you are now!” I was like omg mom why?!?! I was sooo mad at her!

34 Danica April 21, 2010 at 6:29 pm

YUM ~ I want your lunch – it looks and sounds THAT good 😀

35 Neely April 21, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Meghann have you had the “spin dip” at Alehouse? It’s amazing.

36 Meghann April 21, 2010 at 7:39 pm

No, I haven’t. Should I? 🙂

37 theprocessofhealing April 21, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Your lunch sounds wonderful! I love love spinach artichoke dip..

Wow. I’m not sure if my mom tells embarassing stories about me, I probably don’t want to know.

38 Dori April 21, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Brilliant!!! I wonder if I will ever have all those ingredients to make this. I love spinach & artichoke dip too. Maybe next time we hang out we can share some. Or, you can make me this quesadilla.

39 Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition April 21, 2010 at 8:38 pm

That’ sounds amazing!

40 chasingthenow April 21, 2010 at 8:51 pm

I don’t know that my mom told embarrassing dating stories, but she was a proud momma and always boasting about my achievements, which was embarrassing for me as a teenager!

41 Sammi April 22, 2010 at 9:10 am

Thank you for figuring out what I should have for lunch today 🙂
That quesadilla looks amazing!!!!! Plus, I have spinach to put in it! YES! Looks like that giant jar of artichoke hearts is getting opened today 😉 &&& I even have hummus!

I’m sure my parents have told plenty of embarrassing stories about me; however, I can’t think of any right now! Usually, they tell embarrassing stories about my sisters 🙂 I have tons of those!!

{ 1 trackback }