Sapodilla

by Meghann on April 20, 2010

My knees are shaking and I have that nervous feeling in my tummy.

Why?

Because I bit the bullet and made my first dentist appointment in over two years for this afternoon.

Yikes!

Here’s wishin’ and hopin’ everything about my mouth is perfect, no cavities are found, and now additional work will needed to be done besides a simple cleaning. A girl can dream, right?

As I will be needing to use my lunch hour to head to the dentist in a couple of hours, I opted to consumed a packed lunch at my desk today while getting a little work done.

IMG_4945

The best part of the meal was hands down the left over Lentil-Lentil Loaf Sandwich I pieced together between two slices of Italian 5-grain bread.

IMG_4949

Yum.

I even had a co-work walk by and compliment me on the delicious looking sandwich. I told her that is looks just as good as it tastes and I was not kidding. The lentil-loaf made the perfect sandwich filler. It was delicious. 🙂

IMG_4940

With the sandwich I made a simple salad of kale that I drizzled with balsamic vinegar and topped with tomato and taboulli salad.

IMG_4946

While browsing the exotic fruits of Robert is Here on Sunday, I came across a fruit with a display that read “tastes just like a brown sugar pear" which peaked my interest.

IMG_4951

The Sapodilla is a berry fruit typically found in warm climate regions such as Mexico, India, and apparently Miami. According to wikipedia the fruit has an exceptionally sweet malty flavor.

IMG_4954

I wasn’t sure if the skin was edible or not, so I dove in with a spoon after removing the seeds (which are apparently toxic in high quantity).

IMG_4956

IMG_4955

The first bite was good, but it was one of those things that each bite slowly went downhill from there. I’m not sure if it was the texture – which resembled that of a very ripe pear – or the very sweet flavor, but I had to choke down my final bite.

In the end I was NOT a fan of the sapodilla. I guess we can’t win them all.

Earlier this morning I had way too many pieces of dried apricot and dried kiwi.

IMG_4939

Sugar overload!

I’m heading out for my dentist appointment now! Wish me luck!

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 20, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Good thing you got in some sugar before the dentist 🙂 It’ll be okay. I’m sure your pearly whites are A OK. The way you use up leftovers is highly respectable, might I add.

2 britchickruns April 20, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Ooh I think that fruit sounds lovely! I can only eat pears where they’re super soft anyway 😛 That sandwich looks amaze though…
WELL DONE on the dentist!! It won’t be anywhere near as bad as however it seems in your head – I hope it all goes OK 🙂 I wish I could have your courage and face my spider fear, but alas – never happen!

3 Kelly April 20, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Yuck, good luck at the dentist.

4 megan April 20, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I wish I felt a sugar overload from that amount of dried fruit. alas…i can eat a lot of desserts before I feel it! I might be healthier if I ate sugar in small quantities like you do 🙂

5 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 20, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I;m loving the exotic fruit posts!

I also love this sequence of sentences:
“Sugar overload!
I’m heading out for my dentist appointment now!”

6 Beth April 20, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Good luck!! I have to go to the dentist too… its been a long time.

I’ve never heard of this fruit or the mamey! very cool!

7 tropicaleats April 20, 2010 at 1:40 pm

hope everything goes well at the dentist 🙂 I always dread when they floss my teeth.. I mean I do it a few times a week at home when I think about it, but the lady at the dentist always seems to gash my gums! ouchyyyyyy.

8 Chloe April 20, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Your dentist appointment will be great – I hadn’t gone in 2 years either and had no cavities & everything looked great!
That fruit looks really interesting, I wonder if it would be good in a smoothie because of the sweetness?

9 theprocessofhealing April 20, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Good luck with the dentist! They make me SUPER nervous too! I’m sure all will be well 🙂

10 snowflakesandsunshine.wordpress.com April 20, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Good luck! I’m terrified of the dentist too and haven’t been in over a year!

11 thedailyoatmeal April 20, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Sugar load right before the dentist– I gotta love how you roll 🙂

12 Jenna April 20, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Good luck at the dentist! At least you decided to go now and didn’t put it off even further. 🙂 I agree though, the dentist has always terrified me, no idea why!

13 Sarah April 20, 2010 at 2:05 pm

It’s been around 3 years since my last dentist visit. Your post reminded me that I need to get my butt in gear on that one.

14 Jess April 20, 2010 at 2:08 pm

THanks for the nice comment about the Boston Marathon! You’ve been an inspiration to me as far as your training regimen and staying positive!!

15 NYCRunnerGirl April 20, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Good luck at the dentist! I always dread it, too, and it is never as bad as I anticipate.

16 kalli@fitandfortysomething April 20, 2010 at 2:14 pm

oh i am so sorry you do not like the dentist. you will be fine! i promise 😉

17 Angela April 20, 2010 at 2:23 pm

The thought of the dentist is the worst. I went 6 years without seeing someone, but once I did I realized that it wasn’t bad at all. I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Your food always looks so awesome, I wish I had your talent! 🙂

18 caitsplate April 20, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Ahhhh good luck! I had such a nightmare dentist experience last year after not having gone for two years – I’ll pray for you that you don’t have the same!!

Interesting – I’ve actually never even SEEN a Sapodilla…I’m going to have to look out for them!

19 Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) April 20, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I don’t want to seem like the grammar police, but it should actually be “piqued” your interest. That word is a little pet peave of mine 🙂

20 Megan April 20, 2010 at 2:46 pm

It must be a Megan thing–I always notice when people do that too!!

21 Beth April 20, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Agreed.

22 Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) April 20, 2010 at 2:46 pm

*pet peeve

23 Jo April 20, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Mine is saying two times instead of twice/one time instead of once. Ahhh… I’m so type A!

24 Beth April 20, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I just went to the dentist for the first time in three (four? five?) years and was given a clean bill of dental health with only a very minor lecture about flossing more regularly. Good luck!

25 Kellie@obsessivelyhealthy April 20, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Good luck at the dentist. I am really due for a cleaning, but I am afraid of what else they will find that I need to get worked on.

26 Erin April 20, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I always get nerves before the dentist even though I’m a regular 6-month checkup kinda gal. Hate having someone dig inside my mouth!

27 thewhatkateateblog April 20, 2010 at 3:13 pm

At least the Mamey did not disappoint! Good luck at the dentist! Part of a healthy life is a healthy mouth, right? 😀

28 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com April 20, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I’m craving some sugar right now. Haven’t had much all day!

29 jentrinque April 20, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I hope by the time I’m writing this comment you’ve already gone to the dentist and are all done! I bit the bullet about four years ago after not going for 9 years, and I was fine! I bet you will be, too!

30 Janelle April 20, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I’m loving learning about all these new fruits through your samplings!

31 Lacey @ Lake Life April 20, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Haha, I love how you have a sugar overload right before the dentist- how rebellious lol.

32 Lauren @Eat, Drink, and Be Hopeful April 20, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I had my first dentist appointment in over 2 years just last week! Good luck on yours-I’m sure everything is great. What an interesting and tasty looking lunch!

33 runrettarun April 20, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Good luck at the dentist! My hubby is anti-dentist as well. I tell him you only get one set so you have to take care of them! 🙂

I’m totally food-lusting your lentil loaf!

34 justjac April 20, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Good luck at the dentist today. Ha, good pre-dentist snack of dried sugary fruit haha. whatever, they’ll clean your teeth today, right?? 😉

The lentil/tabouli looks great! Yum! I’m so jealous of all the new and unusual fruits you’ve been trying too! 😀

35 Kelly April 20, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Oh goodluck! I totally feel you on the dentist! That is hands down my least favorite doctor of them all! 🙂 GAG…pun intended!!! haha!

36 Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 20, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Don’t stress too much about the dentist! It is never as bad as we expect 🙂

37 Courtney April 20, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Good luck! Your teeth are probably fine 🙂

38 Amanda @ Cakes and Ale April 20, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Good for you for facing your dentist fear! I really hate to go too, but it’s really important to go every 6 months for a checkup / cleaning. Your teeth health affects the rest of your body too! Plus, I LOVE the way my teeth feel after a cleaning. Amazing… and white too!

39 amanda April 20, 2010 at 7:04 pm

you lunch looks very yummy!

i’m sure the dentist appointment will go fantastic…and if not, better now than never!

40 Lori April 20, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Hope the dentist went well! You are not alone in your fear. I finally have convinced myself that I really do need to go every 6 months so they can catch any problems before they get worse. I just had to have my first root canal. The pain before the root canal was the worst I have ever been in. Worse than childbirth. I was happy to go for the procedure just to stop the pain. from now on I book my next appt when I leave the office…

41 jodie April 20, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Where I am from we call it Naseberry. It is a sweet and delicious fruit.

42 missyrayn April 20, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Good luck at the dentist.

I don’t like overly sweet fruit. I tend to eat it before it gets really ripe.

43 eatdrinkandbemerrynyc April 20, 2010 at 8:35 pm

OMG I JUST DID THE SAME THING!!! 2 years. I made the appt (shaking in my spaceboots the whole time). They called me 2 hours before to say I had the WRONG INSURANCE!!!!!!!! I made it 2 weeks ago??? That’s a lot of 2’s in one post, but so ironic to read your post!!
Sara

44 amandapanda1981 April 20, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Ahhh the denist really isn’t that bad. 🙂 Have fun. Also I love trying new fruits, of course it is much better if you really like it.

45 Jenna April 20, 2010 at 9:57 pm