Mamey Smoothie Love

by Meghann on April 20, 2010

I’ve fallen in love with a new fruit and that fruit’s name is Mamey.

IMG_4908

I NEED to find a local fruit stand that sells this! It’s so tasty, especially in the form of a delicious refreshing smoothie. 🙂

That’s right I said smoothie!

IMG_4923

My goal this morning was to recreate the wonderful Mamey smoothie I had at Robert is Here on Sunday.

My slightly healthified version of the smoothie contained

• 1/3 block of silken tofu
  • 1/2 of the mamey pictured above
  • ice
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • drizzle of agave nectar

IMG_4910

My smoothie went in a bowl and was topped with granola and cacao nibs.

IMG_4937

IMG_4926

The silken tofu gave the smoothie the perfect creamy consistency I was striving for. This bowl was so good, I didn’t want it to end. Don’t be surprised if you see if again tomorrow! 😉

On the side I had a piece of pumpkin nut bread with almond butter.

IMG_4918

Before my breakfast I did an easy 4 mile run around the block. I have hot yoga plans with Caitlin tonight and didn’t want to go too crazy running this morning.

Something to read…

Check out this article in the LA Times on Food Paparazzi.

It’s a well written article on a few Chef’s feelings towards food bloggers or the ‘food paparazzi’ as they so delicately put it. I find it interesting in the article that some chefs tend to be annoyed by all the photos, but none are willing to ban it because they understand that it is free publicity and the guerilla style marketing is keeping their seats filled.

I also thought some people may be going a bit overboard by setting up a tripod at a restaurant. I mean, seriously? I’m all for taking photos of my food, but it usually takes me less than a minute, I never use a flash, and I make sure my food doesn’t get cold in the process. 🙂

Thoughts?

1 britchickruns April 20, 2010 at 8:52 am

Love the smoothie 😀
I think unless it’s some kind of massive official review for the BBC or The Sunday Times or something, it should just be a quick photo. I always take mine as quick as possible, but then that’s mainly cos I don’t want the food to get cold, and I don’t want to make everyone else wait!! But photos should be allowed – as you say, free publicity.

2 Becky April 20, 2010 at 9:07 am

What’s the consistency of the Mamey like? Is it hard like pumpkin? I’m sort of imagining something softer- like melon (or under-ripe mango)? Very curious!

3 Meghann April 20, 2010 at 9:13 am

Its very soft. It reminds me of pumpkin once it has been steamed

4 Becky April 20, 2010 at 9:22 am

Woah, not what I was expecting! Sounds great!

5 Candice April 20, 2010 at 9:26 am

Is it like papaya?

6 Meghann April 20, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Yes, like a papaya

7 Rachel @ Suburban Yogini April 20, 2010 at 9:30 am

I only use the point and press when I’m actually out eating at a restaurant. And no flash obviously! I just would feel a little too self conscious if I did anything else I think. Also I love food. So y’know. I want to eat it, not set up photography paraphenalia.

8 Marina April 20, 2010 at 9:32 am

This mamey looks really interesting, I’ll google it 😀
I try to hide my camera when I take photos, but hey, why should they mind, it’s not like I’m taking photos of waiters and cooks.

9 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 20, 2010 at 9:32 am

If I saw someone setting up a tripod in a restaurant to photograph their food, I would probably bring my camera over and take a picture of it too! Haha.

10 Kelly April 20, 2010 at 9:35 am

Yeah I usually snap one or two pictures to get the general idea of the food, no flash, and I try to be discreet. I can’t imagine bringing a tripod!

11 Anna April 20, 2010 at 9:38 am

That is a very interesting fruit– I’ve never even heard of it! Sounds delicious though!

When eating in restaruants, I usually only snap one pic per dish, and never with the flash.

12 Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 20, 2010 at 9:39 am

I saw that article too- I liked that it points out the otherside- I never would have thought of it upsetting the chefs, but I also don’t think there’s anything wrong with taking pictures. I think it’s a good reminder to be respectful about it though- don’t disturb other diners, don’t get in the way of the chefs, etc. I hardly think most food bloggers do, but maybe it’s different in LA? 😉

13 Christina April 20, 2010 at 9:42 am

Wow, people using voice recorders to record the food description? I think that’s a little intense! I think it’s fine to take pictures with no flash, but I usually try to wait til the server leaves so I don’t make him/her uncomfortable. I can’t imagine trying to record him/her!

14 amanda April 20, 2010 at 9:42 am

tofu in a smoothie?? interestinggggg. and that maybe scares me a little bit. perhaps because tofu freaks me out to no end. however, it’s presentation turned out nothing but lovely!

15 Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 20, 2010 at 9:46 am

Yeah I take a picture in 15 seconds with no flash…..a tripod seems a little excessive!!

16 Anne P April 20, 2010 at 9:50 am

Haha yeah a tripod is seriously over the top. I saw that article too – very interesting! I’m with you – no flash and super fast! Although I think it’s stupid that the chefs are annoyed (granted people aren’t over the top/taking forever with the pics) – shouldn’t they take it as a compliment that their meal was so delicious we want to share it with the world? At least they get that it’s free publicity!

17 Erin April 20, 2010 at 9:50 am

That looks so delicious. You never know what you’re going to find at the farmers’ market!

I read that article, too, and while I do think flash is obnoxious and never use mine (it distorts all the color in the photos) I think that taking a photo without flash should be quick and unobstrusive. Yes, it would be annoying to bring out a tripod and distract people but taking a couple shots of a delicious meal should be a compliment to the chef, not a complaint.

18 Anne P April 20, 2010 at 9:50 am

p.s. I WANT MAMEY!!!!!!!! How have I never heard of or seen this before???

19 Danielle April 20, 2010 at 9:55 am

Yeah, I think a tripod in a restaurant is a bit much lol. I usually take 2-3 pics of my food and by then I’m just hungry…I think sometimes people try and *capture* the moment more when they should be *living* in it 🙂

20 theprocessofhealing April 20, 2010 at 10:09 am

The smoothie sounds awesome!!
Ok I think setting a tripod up is wee bit too far but snapping a quick picture? I don’t understand the big deal.

21 Matt April 20, 2010 at 10:17 am

I think a tripod in a restaurant is a little overboard. It would probably bother the other people as well.

22 DiningAndDishing April 20, 2010 at 10:22 am

Thats an interesting article! Thanks for sharing. I do the article might have been trying to make an issue out of a bit of a nonissue though. Food photography is pretty un-intrusive from what I’ve seen. Requesting a chair for your tripod is quite extreme but for the most part I think people just snap a few pics with a camera…what could be disruptive about that??

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

23 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) April 20, 2010 at 10:26 am

thanks for posting that link. super interesting–I had no idea how crazy it is for some people! I cannot imagine dealing with that as a chef. Quick pictures are great–good publicity–but I think if it was flashbulb city or people trying to take pictures of the food at other tables then… way out of hand. Food documentation is great and all, but not when it takes away from the actual eating experience (which is the point, right?). But that last story in the article… hilarious.

24 Sarah for Real April 20, 2010 at 10:28 am

I haven’t gotten brave enough to take photos in restaurants :/

I need to figure out how to get good photos with my phone so that it’s more discreet.

I definitely agree about not using the flash and eating your food while it’s still hot. I love my food to be juuuust barely scalding your mouth hot haha.

25 Kellie@obsessivelyhealthy April 20, 2010 at 10:32 am

I try to be as discreet as possible. I don’t like to draw attention to myself, so I don’t think I will be setting up the tripod 🙂

26 midgetkeeper April 20, 2010 at 10:43 am

I liked that article. I can see how it would annoy a chef, but I think being quick, discreet there shouldn’t be a problem. I also found it interesting that other people are annoyed by it, I can see that.

I have yet to take pictures of my food at a restaurant but now I know what proper etiquette is!

27 Travel Eat Love April 20, 2010 at 10:51 am

I am so self conscious about taking photos of food in public! I do it as discreetly as possible!

28 katie April 20, 2010 at 10:54 am

as someone who has actually been physically shoved out of the way at a museum so someone else could take a picture of a painting (picture of a picture…), I kind of wish digital cameras had never been invented. Though I love their convenience, and obvious benefits, at the same time they have become so ubiquitous that we seem to be more focused on getting the right picture than actually experiencing what we’re attempting to save forever. Real film limited you to being very selective about what you were taking a picture of; now, if you don’t like it, you delete it and try again.

photography in museums is a whole other beast; in restaurants, unless you’re using flash or being really obvious about it, you’re probably way less intrusive on other people’s meals. I say take one (flashless) picture, be happy with it, and enjoy your meal. Live in the moment and savor life- so what if you don’t have the best picture to commemorate your meal, at least you’ll have the memory.

29 Janelle April 20, 2010 at 10:55 am

A tripod? Seriously? I don’t thing there is an issue with a quick snap of a picture, but am entertained that there is now a need for “food paparazzi etiquette.”

I love the name of the mamey – that smoothie looks great!

30 Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 20, 2010 at 11:02 am

that smoothie looks awesome . . . I think I’m going to push myself into finding new fruits this summer

as for the article – I’ve never really thought of myself as a food paparazzi. And I think I’m really respectful when in public. It’s kind of like regular celebrities – how they always talk about hating being photographed, but most of them love it!

If I ever get to the point where I’m bringing a tripod – SLAP ME!

31 hundredtenpounds April 20, 2010 at 11:54 am

Hey it’s free publicity for the restaurant, in my opinion. And how is blogging about food any different than posting a review on Yelp.com?

32 Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit April 20, 2010 at 11:55 am

must. find. mamey.

33 Anna M April 20, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Well clearly the right thing to do would be to politely ask the manager/ chef if they mind. Who knows, you may even get perks from it if they like your blog! I can definitely see why it would upset them, I mean, it is their art, their creation.

34 runnerforever April 20, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I have seen lots of smoothies in a bowl around the blog world and love the idea, makes it seem like much more of a meal.

35 Olivia April 20, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I’ve never heard of a mamey, but I totally want one now! 🙂

36 Morgan April 20, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I agree with the chefs, just because you have a food blog does not give you the right to take pictures of their artistic creations. However, it could bring more business-it all depends on the blog. If I were the Chef and I read about my food on a blog (including photos), I would expect to read in depth details about the food rather than just one word descriptions, like “yummy” and “delicious”. Yes, those words describe, but they do not accurately paint the picture of the wonderful meal you just ate.

This is the one thing that irritates me about the bloggers who call their blogs “food blogs” or call themselves “foodies”. So-called “foodies” understand how to describe food, the tastes in the food, the techniques how the food was prepared, how it made them feel during and after, and how to pair with different beers and wines, etc
Chefs also utilize flavors and ingredients in a way you might never thought to use.

37 Jessie (Vegan-minded) April 20, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Yum, that mamey smoothie looks amazing! In the summer you should check your local Publix for mamey so you can have it again. I usually buy a large one, cut it into chunks and freeze it. Then I can enjoy it for months to come! I like how you used silken tofu in your smoothie too. 🙂

38 Melissa S. April 20, 2010 at 7:29 pm

smoothie looks awesommmmme!

39 missyrayn April 20, 2010 at 8:39 pm

As long as it is just a quick picture I don’t think there is a problem. But when people take multiple pictures and make people wait I think it gets a bit annoying.